Is the workload too heavy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwarfplanet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm concerned about my workload for next semester; I'm currently taking Orgo 1 + Lab, Human Physiology, Genetics, and a gen ed philosophy class. This is 16 credits total, which I normally would not worry about, but several people have advised that taking human physiology and genetics together is too difficult to manage. I found out I can test out of the philosophy class which I would like to do and instead pick up a public health class toward my minor (both are 3 credits). The public health class looks at social/behavioral aspects of public health; shouldn't be too difficult. Should I do this? Or just test out and take the 3 science courses alone so I have a better chance at managing my workload and getting As?

(I'm a junior, but I've only ever taken 2 science courses at once, and it's always been chem and bio together)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd probably try to do a chill gen ed in place of Human Physio and save that for an upper class semester when you've already finished all your prereqs. Ochem isn't something to mess around with

Reactions: 1 user
I'd probably try to do a chill gen ed in place of Human Physio and save that for an upper class semester when you've already finished all your prereqs. Ochem isn't something to mess around with

This philosophy class is actually my final gen ed requirement thanks to high school AP classes and testing out. It's posing quite a problem as an upperclassman as I've got nothing to break up the science courses - that's actually why I picked up a minor. I've also got an academic scholarship that requires I take 12 credits every semester, so now I'm stuck taking high level courses together just so I can stay full time.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well take a different high-level Bio class that is less time intensive than Physio! Like I had super chill classes about the biology of sleep/circadian bio, neuroethology, that kind of stuff. Multiple things like anatomy/phys, genetics, biochem stacked on top of Ochem is just asking for a miserable semester

Reactions: 1 users
It depends if you work and how many ECs you have going on this semester.

I'm concerned about my workload for next semester; I'm currently taking Orgo 1 + Lab, Human Physiology, Genetics, and a gen ed philosophy class. This is 16 credits total, which I normally would not worry about, but several people have advised that taking human physiology and genetics together is too difficult to manage. I found out I can test out of the philosophy class which I would like to do and instead pick up a public health class toward my minor (both are 3 credits). The public health class looks at social/behavioral aspects of public health; shouldn't be too difficult. Should I do this? Or just test out and take the 3 science courses alone so I have a better chance at managing my workload and getting As?

(I'm a junior, but I've only ever taken 2 science courses at once, and it's always been chem and bio together)

Only you can answer this.

Well take a different high-level Bio class that is less time intensive than Physio! Like I had super chill classes about the biology of sleep/circadian bio, neuroethology, that kind of stuff. Multiple things like anatomy/phys, genetics, biochem stacked on top of Ochem is just asking for a miserable semester
Lol fun. I'll be in anatomy, ochem, physics, and biostats (1 hr/8 weeks). Anatomy won't be an issue but I am a little worried about physics.

My genetics class was very labor intensive with hours in the lab. I wish I had skipped it in favor of more philosophy or psychology.

My genetics class was very labor intensive with hours in the lab. I wish I had skipped it in favor of more philosophy or psychology.

Really? My genetics course doesn't include a lab, just a discussion.

But maybe I'll push genetics back a semester and do a 4 credit public health class instead for fall. Only thing is, I'll have to do biochem + genetics + orgo 2 for winter semester then, and I have no idea if that's any easier than what I'm doing now.

Do the public health class. Physio is a fun subject, but orgo and genetics take precedence over it - give yourself the best shot to do well in these courses. I'm picking up some public health classes right now and they're super interesting and will always be relevant if you're looking to go into the healthcare field.

Do the public health class. Physio is a fun subject, but orgo and genetics take precedence over it - give yourself the best shot to do well in these courses. I'm picking up some public health classes right now and they're super interesting and will always be relevant if you're looking to go into the healthcare field.

Thanks for the advice! I'm thinking I'll do that and take genetics with biochem and orgo 2 the following semester; the general concensus seems to be that physio is just too intensive to take with all these. Hope biochem is easier to manage.

Thanks for the advice! I'm thinking I'll do that and take genetics with biochem and orgo 2 the following semester; the general concensus seems to be that physio is just too intensive to take with all these. Hope biochem is easier to manage.

So I believe there's consensus that Biochem is arguably the hardest pre-req and that certainly holds true in my experience. I actually think a semester of Genetics, Biochem, and Orgo 2 sounds worse than Orgo 1, Physiology, and Genetics. Accordingly, I'd recommend against your current plan for the following semester.

So I believe there's consensus that Biochem is arguably the hardest pre-req and that certainly holds true in my experience. I actually think a semester of Genetics, Biochem, and Orgo 2 sounds worse than Orgo 1, Physiology, and Genetics. Accordingly, I'd recommend against your current plan for the following semester.

Oh, man. Okay. Sounds like it's going to be tough either way. Just going to have strap down and work extra hard. Thanks for your input.

Oh, man. Okay. Sounds like it's going to be tough either way. Just going to have strap down and work extra hard. Thanks for your input.
I'm in the same boat, homie. Just going to have to hunker down for a year and take care of business.

Oooh, I was under the impression you would hold off with the physio and replace it with the public health course. Do you need to take physio right now? Can it wait until next year?

Oooh, I was under the impression you would hold off with the physio and replace it with the public health course. Do you need to take physio right now? Can it wait until next year?

Yeah, unfortunately I've got to bang all of these out in the next year so I can apply (these are the last of my prereqs). My scholarship also ends after this next year, and then I'm paying for everything on my own, so I would prefer to get as much done as I can now while it's still applicable.

It depends if you work and how many ECs you have going on this semester.

I work 3-4 times a month on weekends in MRI. These are doubles, so 16 hours each. It's a nice job because I'm able to study and do homework while patients are getting scanned. I've got quite a bit of volunteer hours already, if anything I might pick up ~3 hours/week this semester.