• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2003
Here
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
To live in a decent neighborhood in NYC (<20 miles from NYC) with a wife and a kid on a residents salary? We would prefer to own. Anyone have any suggestions?

edmadison

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2001
Lactate > 15
Status
Attending Physician
The age of the kid and what hospital you will be working at makes a big difference. You can look in Queens, Brooklyn or the North Bronx and might find something decent. I think you need to specify a commute time rather than a distance. There are places that are withing 20 minutes which will be an hour and a half commute.

One other potential gem is Jersey City. The path train runs right into the City.

Ed

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2003
Here
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I am really interested in LIJ, which is apparently located in New Hyde Park, which is apparently fairly upscale. Admittedly, I dont know a whole lot about the region, but I do know that I dont want to drive to work. Subway or train is fine (or walking/biking). My kid will be 5 and starting school when I begin residency. That definitely factors into the decision. Where should I live, assuming I end up here (this is all theoretical until then, of course).

About the Ads

pez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2003
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Idiopathic
I am really interested in LIJ, which is apparently located in New Hyde Park, which is apparently fairly upscale. Admittedly, I dont know a whole lot about the region, but I do know that I dont want to drive to work. Subway or train is fine (or walking/biking). My kid will be 5 and starting school when I begin residency. That definitely factors into the decision. Where should I live, assuming I end up here (this is all theoretical until then, of course).
To live on Long Island, you need a car. It's a sprawling suburb. There are some fairly inexpensive areas around LIJ, queens in particular has nice, low cost housing. Also, check out North Shore Hospital -- same health system as LIJ. In fact some of the fellowships are combined. They have cheap housing on campus.

New Hyde park and great neck have good school systems, that's where I went :). In order not to drive towork, you would probably need to find a program in queens, brooklyn, or Manhattan -- maybe bronx. Also, Jersey has some places which you can commute to by train/bus.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2003
Here
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks! There is specifically a residency program at LIJ that I am interested in, so just being in NYC isnt the draw (although it is a draw)

About the Ads