Is there anyone who got in with a gpa less than 3.0, here is my stats! anyone with similar stats ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pharmacy schools don't have rankings. There is no such thing as top ten pharmacy school. Just some arbitrary list spit out by US NEWS and gobbled up by gullible students.

While I agree that the US News rankings are completely meaningless, there is still a sort of "ranking" of pharmacy schools (based on actual quality markers) available on the website pharmacy-schools.startclass.com

There, they've developed their own index that compares measurements such as average gpa, average pcat, graduation/retention rates, NAPLEX pass rates, job placement, quality of curriculum/faculty, etc. and have ranked the pharmacy schools accordingly.

Though it isn't perfect, I still think it gives a pretty good idea of what the "best" pharmacy schools are. Just my 2 cents :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
While I agree that the US News rankings are completely meaningless, there is still a sort of "ranking" of pharmacy schools (based on actual quality markers) available on the website pharmacy-schools.startclass.com

There, they've developed their own index that compares measurements such as average gpa, average pcat, graduation/retention rates, NAPLEX pass rates, job placement, quality of curriculum/faculty, etc. and have ranked the pharmacy schools accordingly.

Though it isn't perfect, I still think it gives a pretty good idea of what the "best" pharmacy schools are. Just my 2 cents :)

Leaps and bounds better than US NEWS rankings. A good source to compare tuition too.

yes they do. it depends on who is doing the ranking. There are multiple agencies.
If you rank them by research funds (by NIH and other federal agencies, which I feel is more important), it is number 4. It has one of the lowest tuitions (main reason why I chose this school over the rest), compared with most rx schools.
It says a lot about the school if mutiple agencies are ranking them high.
Please don't take away what these schools have accomplished for many years by hating.

Pharmacy schools don't have rankings. There is no such thing as top ten pharmacy school. Just some arbitrary list spit out by US NEWS and gobbled up by gullible students.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
yes they do. it depends on who is doing the ranking. There are multiple agencies.
If you rank them by research funds (by NIH and other federal agencies, which I feel is more important), it is number 4. It has one of the lowest tuitions (main reason why I chose this school over the rest), compared with most rx schools.
Please don't take away what these schools have accomplished for many years by hating.

Mind if I ask what school you got into? :)

Did I touch a nerve. I stated that US NEWS rankings was BS.

Plus NIH funding is good for research, but has nothing to do with the lucrative side of pharmacy (retail!)

Most pharmacy schools are basically the same. Except for the diploma mills that have opened up in the last 15 years and charge an arm and a leg for tuition. Avoid those schools at all cost.

Last edited:
No, You didn't touch a nerve but you sounded more like you hated the profession? I take this as you are not a pharmacist? Pharmacy tech?

Plus, I've never said in my original post the ranking was from about US News. I don't know why you assumed that. Like I said before, ranking by research funds is more important to me (everyones reason might be different). And I'm not looking for a career in retail pharmacy.

My main reason for choosing which pharmacy really comes down to costs. At the end of the day, you get the diploma but you are not paying the same money. I chose a public school with low tuition.

Did I touch a nerve. I stated that US NEWS rankings was BS.

Plus NIH funding is good for research, but has nothing to do with the lucrative side of pharmacy (retail!)

Most pharmacy schools are basically the same. Except for the diploma mills that have opened up in the last 15 years and charge an arm and a leg for tuition. Avoid those schools at all cost.

No, You didn't touch a nerve but you sounded more like you hated the profession? I take this as you are not a pharmacist? Pharmacy tech?

Plus, I've never said in my original post the ranking was from about US News. I don't know why you assumed that. Like I said before, ranking by research funds is more important to me (everyones reason might be different). And I'm not looking for a career in retail pharmacy.

My main reason for choosing which pharmacy really comes down to costs. At the end of the day, you get the diploma but you are not paying the same money. I chose a public school with low tuition.

I like the profession, but I am realistic about it. No sugar-coating in the adult world.

I am also attending a dirt-cheap public school (Its even cheaper than UIC.) I don't understand why you are mad about my comments. I am currently a pharmacy intern in both retail and inpatient hospital setting. Plus I was a CNA for a few years so I understand what the work environment is like. Do you hold a job as pharmacy tech/intern?

Reading your comments leads me to believe that you may not be a native English speaker. Is English a second or third language for you? If so, that would explain why you are misreading what I am posting.

No, I was born here in the US, and English is my first language. I think it is you who are misreading my comments. maybe, reread what you wrote to my original post? Is English not your first language? I don't understand how you can tell one's emotions by reading their comments. I am not mad. It sounds more like you are?

Yes, I do hold a pharmacy intern/tech position (hospital setting) and I am also working as a dietitian. I do know what I am getting into. Don't worry, I don't need you to sugar coat anything. I know what's it's like in the adult world too.
Congrats on going to a cheaper school?

I like the profession, but I am realistic about it. No sugar-coating in the adult world.

I am also attending a dirt-cheap public school (Its even cheaper than UIC.) I don't understand why you are mad about my comments. I am currently a pharmacy intern in both retail and inpatient hospital setting. Plus I was a CNA for a few years so I understand what the work environment is like. Do you hold a job as pharmacy tech/intern?

Reading your comments leads me to believe that you may not be a native English speaker. Is English a second or third language for you? If so, that would explain why you are misreading what I am posting.

NIH funding is good and all. But it has zero effect on the two major occupational settings of pharmacists: retail and hospital.

NIH funding is irrelevant to 99% of pharmacists. (Plus my pharmacy school gets more NIH funding than yours.) Are you going into research? You'll have a better chance landing research doing a PhD or MD than with a PharmD.

Top ten and rankings are meaningless in the world of pharmacy. You have a better chance of getting a job knowing people or having family members in the pharmacy world than you do by graduating some "top ten" school.

Leaps and bounds better than US NEWS rankings. A good source to compare tuition too.
Be sure to check with the AACP's tuition pdf. I already found one tuition mistake on startclass.com and it is UMKC listed at $10,244. Every other school's tuition is the yearly rate, but UMKC is listed at the semester rate.

edit: Just look at SUNY at Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. Location: New York, NY? They have literally combined SUNY Albany and Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences into one school.

Last edited:
Be sure to check with the AACP's tuition pdf. I already found one tuition mistake on startclass.com and it is UMKC listed at $10,244. Every other school's tuition is the yearly rate, but UMKC is listed at the semester rate.

edit: Just look at SUNY at Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. Location: New York, NY? They have literally combined SUNY Albany and Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences into one school.
wen they do this? just today recently? so its public now??

Yeah startclass.com has its issues. No list is perfect. They actually got the dental school tuition at UMKC wrong. No way is it that cheap.

My overall pharmcas gpa right now is 2.54
and my pharmcas prereq gpa is 1.877

I plan on taking classes again to improve gpa, however because I took so many credits, the difference it will make is minimal.

I have my bachelors
I haven't taken the PCAT yet
I have 3 years of retail and hospital pharm tech experience

Is there anyone who were in a similar situation but overcame?
uhoh

Last edited:
To the OP and anyone who want to know, my stats are :
2.77 overall GPA and 2.83 science GPA
74 composite PCAT score 90 plus math and science subject score
3 month volunteering at a local retail pharmacy
BS in chemistry
Here is my situation with pharmacy schools:
8 schools applied
1 school reject (public with 15k/year tuition) and 7 schools invited to interview (1 pre-candidates, 6 accredited schools)
5 interviewed, have to decline the other 2 schools because i got accepted
2 accepted, 2 waitlisted, and 1 still waiting for answers.
The school I got accepted is University of Wyoming ( public 4 year, around 15k/year residence, 34k/year nonresidence, avg GPA accepted was 3.5) [all stats are from pharmcas]
SO HERE IS MY TAKE ON LOW GPA STUDENT WHO WANT TO GO PHARMACY SCHOOL:
1st.
Find out what being a pharmacist really is. Talk to a friend who is a pharmacy student or ask around to talk with a pharmacist about what it really mean being a pharmacist. However dont just talk to one person and follow that person ideology. Talk to as many as you can to find what pharmacist can do and ask yourself this question: CAN I DO IT FOR THE NEXT 30 YEARS? If you answer YES then go to next step. If you answer NO then find out what you like and do it.
2nd. If you said YES i want to be a pharmacist, depending on your timeline, volunteer in the pharmacy setting, evaluate yourself on how will you survive in pharmacy school. It is a BIG investment of 150K to 200K (avg 30K/year). That is someone salary that you are borrowing for school. It is not an easy decision so DO NOT make light of it. Start preparing for PCAT with at least 2 month ahead, preparing your personal statement and your interview ahead of time. Pharmacy schools start from 8am to 3 pm so try to study from 8 to 3 and see if you can handle the stress. Take a test in pharmacy technician if you have time.
3rd. Pick the right schools. If I have 2.77 GPA, i am not picking the top 10 schools where my chance to get in is near impossible. Do your research on the pharmacy schools before you pick the ones you want to go to. DO NOT PICK SCHOOL BECAUSE IT IS CHEAP. Pick the school that fit your study style. This is when SDN will help you, go read discussion regarding schools in here and it will give you more information on your school selection. What I did is make an excel sheets and calculate the total tution fee from last year taking in consideration other thing such as public/private, 3years/4years, accredited/pre-candidate/candidate, and semester/quarter/block style. I then pick the one I feel really good to fit in and apply to those.
4th. Once your PCAT, pharmcas GPA come in, sit down and make another decision. CAN I SURVIVE AND EXCEL IN PHARMACY? Ask your family, ask your friends and ask yourself. If you said YES then go apply, if you said NO then look for other healthcare related profession.
I am going to pharmacy school in August and I really want to encourage people to go to pharmacy school, but at the same time I want to make sure the people who get into the schools will go through and not give up halfway. So anyone have questions, dont hesitate to contact me and I would love to help you all.
Thank you for reading.
Which other schools did you get into? besides Whyoming..

Which other schools did you get into? besides Whyoming..
Hi, I got into Roseman Univeristy COP at Utah campus, Chapman University in Irvine California, Midwestern in Arizona, and a COP in Oregon that i forget the name.

2.7 GPA and 2.8 sGPA got interviews and acceptances like a boss into pharmacy.

Hi, I got into Roseman Univeristy COP at Utah campus, Chapman University in Irvine California, Midwestern in Arizona, and a COP in Oregon that i forget the name.
can you post your stats?! you submitted your apps already ?!?! not for early decision right?!

Question regarding Roseman, you apply via the Utah website right? Cause I remember hearing there was a campus in Nevada as well

I have a 2.8 GPA which I calculated the way Pharmcas would. I haven't taken the PCAT yet but my goal is 70th percentile. I just want to know if I have a chance at Shanedoah University or at and other pharmacy school. I have 1years tech experience and I graduate with my bachelors in the fall 2017.

I'll really appreciate it