is there anyone who plans to study DAT for next 6 months?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to skip Spring 2009 semester and focus all on DAT for about 5~8 months.
My first DAT will be around May and then 2nd will be around August.
If I take DAT now, I will probably get less than 10, but my goal is at least 25.
is there anyone in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll probably start doing a little touch-up work about 6 or 7 months before I expect to take the test. Nothing serious though. A few hours of math a week just to help remember things. I don't want to be one of those guys that gets a 12 on the QR section, and have it screw up my average.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been doing touch up work for last 3 yrs, but it didn't go well, so I think I need some serious input.

Dude... just take the test already. :laugh: 5-8 months for the DAT is complete overkill and it's pretty hard to get a 10. You have been studying for over 3 years, and you've been a SDN member for over 2. I think you're ready.

dude 5-8 months for that test is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overboard.

If you need more time to study than others, just take about 2 months and put everything into it and I don't know why you are planning out DAT number 1 and DAT number 2.

Study like you are going to take it only once, I've taken it twice and that was not fun. I think your goals are little too high ... (I'm sure you can do it, but...) you should shoot for more realistic score and if you get lucky you''ll hit 25. Maybe that's pressuring you so much, having such a high score as your goal.

I think if you are this stressed about the DAT then you might have a heartattack for the boards once you get in. :laugh:

Good luck

agree 5-8 is way too overboard...3months MAX. otherwise you will forget everything. It was tough to remember biology w/o going through my notes everyday. Also why would you set yourself up for DAT 1 and 2? just study like crazy the 1st time and bang out a nasty score. Getting the DAT done with and getting a good score is probably the best feeling in the world! gl man

He wants to shine, so let him shine!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
If you are going to study for 6 months straight, you'll definitely get a 25 for sure!

I was talking to one of the admission guys from UCSF and he said that it's been shown that if you randomly guess on the DAT, you usually get about a 13, so you'd have to put some extra work in to get more wrong for that 10! =p

I will be taking the DAT this spring as well. My brother is a 3rd year at OHSU. I talked with him about the DAT last night and he said it is over-hyped, that is to say that the DAT is really not that hard.

I will be taking the DAT this spring as well. My brother is a 3rd year at OHSU. I talked with him about the DAT last night and he said it is over-hyped, that is to say that the DAT is really not that hard.

Post your scores once you are done and you tell us if it's not that hard.

It's not impossible but it's not easy.

I was talking to one of the admission guys from UCSF and he said that it's been shown that if you randomly guess on the DAT, you usually get about a 13, so you'd have to put some extra work in to get more wrong for that 10! =p

you made my Day :laugh: :laugh:

you might be right...people who said they have no idea about QR usually still end up getting around 14. I guess most answers are 'C' ? :D

Members don't see this ad :)

That's because he's already prepared for and taken his boards. Compared to the boards, the DAT is total cake!!

I'm sure when we get to be D3's we'll all think back about the DAT and say, "What the hell was I so worried about?!"

That goes for every standardized test you will take. When you are a junior in college and think back about to the SAT adn the ACT oyu will feel like why did i stress that test was so easy.

That goes for every standardized test you will take. When you are a junior in college and think back about to the SAT adn the ACT oyu will feel like why did i stress that test was so easy.

I still think SAT verbal was so hard :scared:
Math was so easy.

I agree. Don't wait six months to take the DAT. Study solidly for 2-3 months and take it. All the information has to be fresh in your mind. Good luck.

Sure, aim for a 25. I hope you get it.
But when you study for long periods of time, you benefit less and less as you study. You need some luck to get it also. Things can go bad.

Study efficiently, this is KEY.

Right there with you buddy. I have from the middle of december to mid-may to late june to study. I will be taking BS courses, and my gpa is pretty much where it's at...not gonna budge much at this point. I know many SDNers are saying it's overkill, but we all have our reasons. I personally need a 21+ on all sections in order to offset the fact that my school has virtually no reputation.

joonkimdds.........i thought you took your DAT already?? or am i getting confused with som1 else?

Right there with you buddy. I have from the middle of december to mid-may to late june to study. I will be taking BS courses, and my gpa is pretty much where it's at...not gonna budge much at this point. I know many SDNers are saying it's overkill, but we all have our reasons. I personally need a 21+ on all sections in order to offset the fact that my school has virtually no reputation.

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

I'd focus on two (maybe three if you're a stud) sections each day for a significant time block, with breaks in between.

If you are really studying how you should be, I agree with these guys that 3 months is enough.

If you know that you have five months before your DAT, I think you may feel as if you're not under pressure, and start to become lack-a-daisical about the whole process.

Under pressure= studying balls to the wall

Hope this helps

I am planning to skip Spring 2009 semester and focus all on DAT for about 5~8 months.
My first DAT will be around May and then 2nd will be around August.
If I take DAT now, I will probably get less than 10, but my goal is at least 25.
is there anyone in the same boat?

I am in same boat. I am currently working 8:30am to 5pm Mon-Thur as a dental assistant. When I took DAT on Aug 2008, got 21on PAT, Bio 17, GChem 18, OChem 18, TS 17, and AA 17. When I studied I had to time off for 2 months but I guess it was not enough time for me to do well or study skills. I applied this cycle but I have been received lots of rejection letters from schools.

I decided to retake. This time I have to manage working hours and study time. Recently I saw one of the member who did well inspired me a lot. I am planing to retake next September. Meanwhile, focusing DAT prep again and working and planing time off again several months before DAT exam this time.

Wish you a luck reciving awsome DAT score and hope for my self.

I am in same boat. I am currently working 8:30am to 5pm Mon-Thur as a dental assistant. When I took DAT on Aug 2008, got 21on PAT, Bio 17, GChem 18, OChem 18, TS 17, and AA 17. When I studied I had to time off for 2 months but I guess it was not enough time for me to do well or study skills. I applied this cycle but I have been received lots of rejection letters from schools.

I decided to retake. This time I have to manage working hours and study time. Recently I saw one of the member who did well inspired me a lot. I am planing to retake next September. Meanwhile, focusing DAT prep again and working and planing time off again several months before DAT exam this time.

Wish you a luck reciving awsome DAT score and hope for my self.

I think working and studying for DAT is really tough. I was gonna take just 1~2 easy classes and study for DAT but I am a type of person who always make excuses when something goes wrong. I don't want to make an excuse and say if I could get 25 on DAT if I wasn't taking those classes...etc because DAT is a serious business :)

I studied for 3 months during the last summer but I think it wasn't enough.

wow. 6 months, even 3 months.. is a long time...

if you need to study so much for the DAT relative to everyone else, how will you keep up with your classmates in dental school?