Is this a easy course load?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor246853

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am asking this on behalf of a friend and my answer was yes. What do you guys think?

For next Fall..
General Bio
Bio Lab
Chemistry
Chem Lab
Math (I dont know which one)

She works 16hr shifts on the weekends (Sat. and Sun. only) at the hosptial.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's pretty easy but I think if your friend added a fourth class (maybe something in the humanities just for a change of pace) it would look a little better.

It's pretty easy but I think if your friend added a fourth class (maybe something in the humanities just for a change of pace) it would look a little better.
But intro bio is a weed out class. That coupled with 2 labs...I wouldnt push it. I guess I left out she does 10 hours of research (tues. & thurs. only) She only goes to school Mon,Wen and Fri. Would you add more to that load along with the 32 hour weekend job?

its probably A EASY one.

coolface.jpg

yes its easy! Strap on a pair and stop asking others on SDN for this ridiculous advice. boo boo bee boo... its not high school anymore, YOU make the decisions, scary huh?
:laugh::laugh::laugh: WTH??:laugh::laugh: You are lame.

I am asking this on behalf of a friend and my answer was yes. What do you guys think?

For next Fall..
General Bio
Bio Lab
Chemistry
Chem Lab
Math (I dont know which one)

She works 16hr shifts on the weekends (Sat. and Sun. only) at the hosptial.

this is my schedule right now.
depending on how much your friend knows so far in bio and chem the first week chapters/weeks are just a review/refresher.
I take calc.
My bio and calc classes require that you are on the computer doing homework with the software that is part of the curriculum 8 hours out of the week.
On top of that I work 4pm-10pm monday-friday & 1pm-10pm saturday & sunday. (cause i work at my families restaurant) so i do the online part of my math and bio class whenever were not busy at work.

plus, if your friend has breaks during class he/she can do a bit of studying.
it's do-able if she/he is dedicated.

good luck!

If she wasn't working, I'd say that would be a very manageable course load.

Members don't see this ad :)
i took

bio w/lab
gchem w/lab
ochem w/lab

quizzes every week and exams every other, it was hectic. don't underestimate the labs.

i say your friend's load is about average, not easy. but with the work schedule, it's probably wise not to take more.

I have a similar question, is it going to look bad on my transcript that for the last year ive been doing this: 2 physiology classes (my major) and a research class (the reason i was doing that is because i was done with all other classes that i had to take and i am almost over the unit max, in addition, my major classes are offered once a year, so its pretty much how i had to do it... i spend about 25 hours in the research lab and 10 hours/week in another lab.., do an internship at the hospital and involved in another organization. I'm scared that medschools might think im lazy:/ for taking so few classes

this is my schedule right now.
depending on how much your friend knows so far in bio and chem the first week chapters/weeks are just a review/refresher.
I take calc.
My bio and calc classes require that you are on the computer doing homework with the software that is part of the curriculum 8 hours out of the week.
On top of that I work 4pm-10pm monday-friday & 1pm-10pm saturday & sunday. (cause i work at my families restaurant) so i do the online part of my math and bio class whenever were not busy at work.

plus, if your friend has breaks during class he/she can do a bit of studying.
it's do-able if she/he is dedicated.

good luck!
Wow you're a soldier! That looks tough

I have a similar question, is it going to look bad on my transcript that for the last year ive been doing this: 2 physiology classes (my major) and a research class (the reason i was doing that is because i was done with all other classes that i had to take and i am almost over the unit max, in addition, my major classes are offered once a year, so its pretty much how i had to do it... i spend about 25 hours in the research lab and 10 hours/week in another lab.., do an internship at the hospital and involved in another organization. I'm scared that medschools might think im lazy:/ for taking so few classes
:laugh: How the hell is this similar? Because it has the word "class" in it?

But intro bio is a weed out class. That coupled with 2 labs...I wouldnt push it. I guess I left out she does 10 hours of research (tues. & thurs. only) She only goes to school Mon,Wen and Fri. Would you add more to that load along with the 32 hour weekend job?

If you are really seeking the advice of those who have successfully navigated the pre med world to a medical school acceptance, then here it is: Take a bare minimum of 15 hours, including 2 lab classes (at minimum). In addition, find time to volunteer at the hospital (6-10 hours a week) and do some type of community service. Working on the weekend is fine.

The cold hard reality is that 1 of 10 or so that apply to most medical schools make it in. That's only about 6000 a year.

So really, to put the question back on you. Do you really think that your friend will out shine the thousands of other applicants applying from Harvard, Duke, Stanford, etc. with 36 MCATs and ridiculous research experience if she can't even handle a full load? (BTW, the above is not me!) Just really think about how much you want it, and how hard you (or your friend) is willing to work! That acceptance letter is worth it in the end though!

I definitely don't think she should take more classes than she can do well in. If your friend thinks 3 is the max she can do along with the 16 hr shifts then just take 3. But I think 4 would probably look a lot better if at all possible. For the 4th one she could take something easy that will be low-stress. (This could be whatever she wants...maybe something like social sciences, art history, humanities...preferably something she likes) At that point it's really not that much more work than the 3 she already has.

(on the other hand, working 16-hr shifts on the weekend is pretty intense...so yeah. ultimately it's your friend's call, I don't think it's going to make or break her either way.)

If you are really seeking the advice of those who have successfully navigated the pre med world to a medical school acceptance, then here it is: Take a bare minimum of 15 hours, including 2 lab classes (at minimum). In addition, find time to volunteer at the hospital (6-10 hours a week) and do some type of community service. Working on the weekend is fine.

The cold hard reality is that 1 of 10 or so that apply to most medical schools make it in. That's only about 6000 a year.

So really, to put the question back on you. Do you really think that your friend will out shine the thousands of other applicants applying from Harvard, Duke, Stanford, etc. with 36 MCATs and ridiculous research experience if she can't even handle a full load? (BTW, the above is not me!) Just really think about how much you want it, and how hard you (or your friend) is willing to work! That acceptance letter is worth it in the end though!
Honestly? Yes. She dont plan to apply to those top schools anyhow. It wasnt the course load really but rather the working 32hrs+10hrs research a week. But you gave the best advice I really do appreciate that. Thanks.

I really don't think anyone cares how many hours you took in a given semester. I had a lot of hours coming into college and because of that was able to take a few (3 maybe?) 12 hour semesters. Good work is more impressive than a lot of work. And fewer hours gives you ample time for ECs/work/etc.

To O.P.: It's Doable, however it all comes down to time management

That appears to be quite an easy schedule. There's no orgo or biochem...

@thread title + ur probably just unaware at the latter part so dont worry about it.

its easy, even with the work on top of it. MWF.... 3 basic intro classes.... if friend cant succees with that, than i dont even.

Wow you're a soldier! That looks tough

thanks. i have no other choice. Either this way or nothing.

My only advice or tip would be that you have to realize if you're a person who is very social or likes to "hang out" often if you plan to take pre-med reqs on top of work you pretty much limit any free time to homework.

@thread title + ur probably just unaware at the latter part so dont worry about it.

its easy, even with the work on top of it. MWF.... 3 basic intro classes.... if friend cant succees with that, than i dont even.
Yeah very very true.:thumbup:

Honestly? Yes. She dont plan to apply to those top schools anyhow. It wasnt the course load really but rather the working 32hrs+10hrs research a week. But you gave the best advice I really do appreciate that. Thanks.

Glad to help. Think of it this way. If you take ridiculously easy classes now, and very few of them, then you are going to have to double up down the road. You are only delaying the inevitable. Trust me, it will look bad if it takes your friend 5-6 years to graduate. And BTW, I wasn't suggesting that your friend was trying to go to Duke or somewhere similar to med school, I was suggesting that there will be plenty of applicants applying to your state school with Ivy league degrees and high MCATs. Still, the worst thing you can do is bomb the semester, so I guess if that is all your friend thinks that he/she can do then go with it. Good Luck!

Yes and pretty standard for a pre-med

how about adding a easy 4th class like History or English to boost her GPA?
:luck:

i took

bio w/lab
gchem w/lab
ochem w/lab

quizzes every week and exams every other, it was hectic. don't underestimate the labs.

i say your friend's load is about average, not easy. but with the work schedule, it's probably wise not to take more.

During my chem lab, like i literally had no idea what to do.....so hard, i was running out of time so i had to BS towards the end.

It's annoying when facts get in the way of reality, isn't it?

To OP's friend: You're working 32 hours a week, doing 10 hours of research, and have an infant. That's a fulltime job for most people right there. Take more classes if you really wish to, but I would advise you take it slow for the first semester.

Last edited: