Is this a little risky?

Started by jtom
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jtom

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As some of you may know, I said I was moving in a few weeks. However, I came up with an idea and am open to looking into this. I decided that I will choose the schools I apply to in 2011 based mainly on how much it will cost to attend as I refuse to have significant amounts of debt upon graduation.

I am getting the new edition AMVAS book tommorow. I was thinking while very risky maybe I should pick the best school based mainly on cost but also on location and the program etc and move out there. I thought I could establish residency and increase my chances of getting in. I would however have to find a volunteer/paid vet position as I need to get hours in but I would be moving there without a concrete job. I am not sure if you guys think this is wise or not. I believe for residency I would have to have a paid job for a year so I would have to find something within a few months.

Based on price it appears oklahoma state, mississippi state, and lsu are cheaper then most. However, based on the fact OK requires you to finish all pre-reqs before applying and with everything else I have to do I might not be able to apply there.

Im just nervous I will be putting all my eggs in one basket so to speak by moving before I apply to the program.

Thanks!
 
make sure you know the school's position on establishing residency. i know with some schools, you have to have graduated from HS in that state to be considered a resident (it doesn't matter if you move there a year in advance or not), while others have more relaxed rules.

a friend of mine moved to Ohio to gain residency and then applied as IS for OSU CVM.

i think it's a great idea if you're planning to move in the first place!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think that NCSU is the cheapest instate--~10,000 a year, currently. I second rileyroo's post on finding out requirements before you move. How much of a financial cushion do you have? Enough to last through job hunting? Do you need to be particular about a job--would a job that gives no animal/experience hours be okay, or do you need those hours? I do think it is a risky idea, but not necessarily a bad one. 🙂
 
I do have enough money to get by during job hunting. I would need to get hours in a vets office though I can also work somewhere unrelated to vetmed.
 
preventing large amounts of debt is a great idea, obviously lol im not sure if i would risk the moving without a job though. i feel like you should have been looking for potential jobs a month or two ago. what type of job do you have now? vet tech or something else? in my area both vet tech positions and bio tech positions are hard to come by. there are a ton of places to apply (i live around DC) but there are SOOO many people in this area looking for these jobs. especially with the recession. i'd just be afraid about moving down and then not finding a job to support myself. maybe you are a bigger risk taker than me lol good luck!! :luck: if i were you id start looking for a job right now in the area that you want to move. even if you have a basic job to start out with at least you know you will have an income!!

edit: sryyy my post went up late. if you have money saved then thats great!! hopefully you find a job before your money runs out lol
 
As some of you may know, I said I was moving in a few weeks. However, I came up with an idea and am open to looking into this. I decided that I will choose the schools I apply to in 2011 based mainly on how much it will cost to attend as I refuse to have significant amounts of debt upon graduation.

I am getting the new edition AMVAS book tommorow. I was thinking while very risky maybe I should pick the best school based mainly on cost but also on location and the program etc and move out there. I thought I could establish residency and increase my chances of getting in. I would however have to find a volunteer/paid vet position as I need to get hours in but I would be moving there without a concrete job. I am not sure if you guys think this is wise or not. I believe for residency I would have to have a paid job for a year so I would have to find something within a few months.

Based on price it appears oklahoma state, mississippi state, and lsu are cheaper then most. However, based on the fact OK requires you to finish all pre-reqs before applying and with everything else I have to do I might not be able to apply there.

Im just nervous I will be putting all my eggs in one basket so to speak by moving before I apply to the program.

Thanks!

Georgia used to be the least price wise, not sure if that is still true. Tuskeegee has lower tuition also.
 
Yea unfortunately this idea just came to mind a few hours ago. I admit the biggest risk is to move there and not be able to find a job. The NSCU recommendation was interesting but on its page they view residency as living in nc for three years.
 
If you can hold off on moving right now, you can search for jobs in the top 3 areas youd like to go that have the cheapest tuition. a lot of places now will do phone interviews or skype interviews!! my bf tried it out the first time this yr and the skype one went really smooth (first time we'd used it). Most places have online apps for applying anyway so you dont need to be in person to fill out an app like the "old days" lol . Then you'd have have a better chance at finding a job and once you have one it will be less stressful moving there.
 
Tuskegee is a school that requires Alabama HS graduation, according to what I got from their iffy website. LSU has a lot of instate positions. If you are renting, maybe you could find affordable housing and work other than in Baton Rouge. I would definitely go for IS if you could. I am looking at 70 K plus interest if my IS does not change its mind about rejecting me. Good Luck!
 
I honestly do not care where in the state I move to. I would prefer to be somewhat close to the vet school but not so close where you have all the prevets asking to volunteer/jobs at clinics.

Unfortunately in the past I have found that unless you have a local address that employers will simply not call you back. So I would have to move without any apps filled out.
 
A little off topic, but don't forget about the schools that allow you to apply for IS tuition easily or after your first year there're not many, but worth a thought. It'd still be more expensive to have that first year OOS, but not as much as all 4 OOS. And if you do pick a place to move to, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to try & fill out some online apps before moving... worst case, they ignore it b/c not local & you could always apply again once you're moved, best case you get an offer. Regardless, good luck!
 
Yea unfortunately this idea just came to mind a few hours ago. I admit the biggest risk is to move there and not be able to find a job. The NSCU recommendation was interesting but on its page they view residency as living in nc for three years.

Ummmm... NCSU actually allows students to become resdents after 1 year. Even our OOS can do so in their second year. We are currently 4th or 5th in the rankings & cheapest IS.

I established residency 1 year 1 month before enrollement. relocated for husbands job. Current IS in first year.