is this a positive sign or just normal response?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimsaekyu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i sent a thank-you letter to my interviewer (Dr. XXX) after my interview.
Dr. XXX replied quickly with following message:

YYY,

I hope that you had a safe trip to OOO. Good luck with everything. I
do not think that you will have a problem here.

Take care and I hope to see you next year.

XXX

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Forwarding letter to Dr. XXX. Unfortunately Dr. XXX, we cannot read your mind but we hope our dear student here gets an acceptance soonest. Thanks.

kimsaekyu said:

YYY,

XXX

What do you think?

If that isn't a positive sign I don't know what is. Maybe the adcom enjoys playing with our minds. :laugh: If that is the case they are cruel. I think your in! Congrats! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
kimsaekyu said:

YYY,

XXX

What do you think?

I think thats really odd !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean I wonder how that Dr. got the last name XXX. :laugh:

I think it's really cool some professors are so friendly and respond so quickly. I've also written thank-you emails to my interviewers and they (including the dean) write back to me with personal words of encouragement and not just a cookie-cutter template reply. I try not to read too much into these emails as hints of acceptance but they sure give me a warm fuzzy feeling about the school(s).

Kitty
I don't know about you but I have now questioned some of the responses that interviewers have sent back. Like "Good Luck" means no chance in hell and good luck getting into other schools. If you were an exceptional applicant you wouldn't need luck. Am I wrong folks!

HD :mad:

hockeydentist said:
Kitty
I don't know about you but I have now questioned some of the responses that interviewers have sent back. Like "Good Luck" means no chance in hell and good luck getting into other schools. If you were an exceptional applicant you wouldn't need luck. Am I wrong folks!

HD :mad:

lol... I think we're overanalyzing the responses. I think the interviewers are just returning the respect that we have paid them by replying to our thank you notes. Sure, they did not have to do it but everyone is different so whereas some interviewers will just receive your thank you note and leave it at that, others will feel the need to reply... obviously without being negative, regardless of how the interview went.

And I agree with kittylover~ I wouln't take it as a hint of acceptance but it sure does leave me with a positive impression of the school and the interviewer~

what if you wrote a thank you note and they didn't reply to you at all?

coral2005 said:
what if you wrote a thank you note and they didn't reply to you at all?

:laugh: That keeps happening to me...I don't think anything by it...they might have a crummy spam filter.

If you're good, you'll be in...don't worry about it. :thumbup:

beannaithe said:
:laugh: That keeps happening to me...I don't think anything by it...they might have a crummy spam filter.

If you're good, you'll be in...don't worry about it. :thumbup:

I sent an actual note by mail...not email.

:(

don't you write the thank you letters? i always thought of thank you letter as a physical letter.

i've sent about 5, but didn't get any replies.. so.. :confused:

twofast2s said:
don't you write the thank you letters? i always thought of thank you letter as a physical letter.

i've sent about 5, but didn't get any replies.. so.. :confused:

Don't worry, it doesn't mean anything. I never got any in return either~ They probably receive hundreds... there is no way they can return each one~

Last edited: