Is this a red flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

satdixon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was wondering whether or not this is read flag of not. I have taken the MCAT 3 times, have received the following scores 500 (8/19), 512 (1/20), and 513 (9/21). These were my subsection scores 500 (c/p- 127, cars- 121, b/b- 126, p/s- 126), 512(c/p- 129, cars- 126, b/b-129, p/s-128), 513(c/p-128, cars-125, b/b-130, p/s-130). Please let me know taking the MCAT 3 times is red flag in my situation and whether or not it should be addressed in my application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not a red flag but some schools will average

Not sure which though

Reactions: 1 user
Normally it is but in your case, you helped yourself with the higher score each time

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I was wondering whether or not this is read flag of not. I have taken the MCAT 3 times, have received the following scores 500 (8/19), 512 (1/20), and 513 (9/21). These were my subsection scores 500 (c/p- 127, cars- 121, b/b- 126, p/s- 126), 512(c/p- 129, cars- 126, b/b-129, p/s-128), 513(c/p-128, cars-125, b/b-130, p/s-130). Please let me know taking the MCAT times is red flag in my situation and whether or not is should be addressed in my application!
Why did you retake a perfectly good 512 score?

You have to apply with the app you have, warts and all, and see how the app cycle shakes out.

Reactions: 7 users
Why did you retake a perfectly good 512 score?

You have to apply with the app you have, warts and all, and see how the app cycle shakes out.
I had the 512 when I applied for the 2020-2021 cycle, where I didn't get in. During my gap, I retook it before starting my MPH because I was hoping to get a 517+ for the auto-interview at UTSW

I had the 512 when I applied for the 2020-2021 cycle, where I didn't get in. During my gap, I retook it before starting my MPH because I was hoping to get a 517+ for the auto-interview at UTSW
There are a lot of schools in TX that will interview a 512 with the right GPA, but what's done is done.

There are a lot of schools in TX that will interview a 512 with the right GPA, but what's done is done.
Do you think these retakes will be a red flag though? Like something that would warrant explaining or may keep me out of an interview @LizzyM @Goro @gyngyn

Last edited:
Taking the MCAT 3x within your "valid period" as a red flag... that really depends on the school in how they handle retakes. I think if you took it one additional time (4x or higher), that would be more of a red flag. That said, there are many physicians (including faculty) that talk about how they took the exam 4 or more times before they got into medical school, so there are people who will advocate against it being an automatic red flag.

Reactions: 2 users
Taking the MCAT 3x within your "valid period" as a red flag... that really depends on the school in how they handle retakes. I think if you took it one additional time (4x or higher), that would be more of a red flag. That said, there are many physicians (including faculty) that talk about how they took the exam 4 or more times before they got into medical school, so there are people who will advocate against it being an automatic red flag.
What do you mean by valid period?

What do you mean by valid period?
Many schools will consider a score expired after a certain period of time (2 years, 3 years, 5 years). So older scores will be seen but technically won't matter if they fall outside the acceptable time frame for an MCAT result for an admissions decision.

So older scores will be seen but technically won't matter if they fall outside the acceptable time frame for an MCAT result for an admissions decision.
Even "expired" scores are visible and inevitably have an effect on a reviewer.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't get scared by the advice given here, it is going to send you into a neurotic frenzy, I can see why you might find a stat like this nerve-wracking especially as a reapplicant. If you're thinking red flag as in your med school interview chance will be stunted for this very reason, I don't think so.

I agree with the others that it isn't the best thing, but I don't think it is something you should hyperfocus on as your score still makes it into the door. It definitely doesn't help your application, but honestly given how it sounds like with your timeline of when you took it your second time, it just sounds like you wanted a more recent score (assuming you got your newest mcat score in 2021 or 2022).

A red flag that would be a really big issue is if you went from a 512 to a 507. Also, given your massive jump from the first to the second takes, it just looks like you were trying to better. Though your third take wasn't much better, it still shows that you were putting in the effort. I would be appalled if a student with perfectly fine stats would have issues with such an issue. Had you scored a 511, 512, and 513, then yeah, I'd say it just looks like you're trying to do better but cant manage to make much of a difference, but your third try just seems like you didn't improve as much as you wanted. Which isn't a big deal, no one has a perfect application.

But I will say, do NOT retake your mcat again.

also I think I have seen you a few times on SDN. Its quite a funny coincidence that our profile pictures are rivals in naruto :laugh:

good luck this cycle!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Those of us who are experts do our best to tell you the truth from our experience and perspective. I understand the inconsistencies among schools are the cause for much of the neuroticism (don't shoot the messengers) as is the desire to please everybody or find some rationale. I understand we want to make this process a scientific, deterministic one with absolute rules and clear penalties. But it clearly isn't. Trying to fit it and candidate profiles under this context is what drives the anxiety.

Everything is probabilistic and believe it or not, most of us here are rooting for your success. Don't try to over-interpret what we share, or try to fit what the advice is to your way of thinking. Just listen as if you are willing to hear other perspectives and move forward as an informed, critical thinker. The diversity of our expertise is our community strength.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Those of us who are experts do our best to tell you the truth from our experience and perspective. I understand the inconsistencies among schools are the cause for much of the neuroticism (don't shoot the messengers) as is the desire to please everybody or find some rationale. I understand we want to make this process a scientific, deterministic one with absolute rules and clear penalties. But it clearly isn't. Trying to fit it and candidate profiles under this context is what drives the anxiety.

Everything is probabilistic and believe it or not, most of us here are rooting for your success. Don't try to over-interpret what we share, or try to fit what the advice is to your way of thinking. Just listen as if you are willing to hear other perspectives and move forward as an informed, critical thinker. The diversity of our expertise is our community strength.
My apologies if I was sounding accusitory to anyone, I worded my comment poorly. I wasn't trying to discount the advice of anyone else but just wanted to let @satdixon know that this shouldn't be something they become neurotic over. Based on his replies and previous post history I just wanted to ensure that to ponder over what happened isn't good for them. The only reason I pointed out @Goro's comment was because it just came off as a bit vague and hence I overanalyzed.

In hindsight my comment does seem very accusational. My apologies again, I commented a little too early in the morning to make a coherent post. I'll revise my comment to better fit what I meant to get across.

Last edited: