This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pup329

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m currently a 4th year Biology major thinking about potential recommenders to write red letters for med school. The two professors that I took Physics with know me pretty well, I did very well in their classes, and I’m fairly confident that they will be able to write solid letters. Is it bad to have both the science LOR’s coming from professors in the same discipline? Although I know one possible Bio professor I could ask for a rec, I don’t really know him that well and I feel kind of iffy about asking him for a rec. It’s not necessary to get a rec from a prof in your major right? Any clarity would help a lot - thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Could you show us any med school admissions website that states "LORs need to be from Faculty in your major?"

I too am curious about that. Sounds kinda ridiculous and I’ve never heard of that. What does that even mean? So if you’re a chem major, do you get an LOR from a chem professor?

Maybe it’s for non science majors that need LORs idk

Members don't see this ad :)
We're required to have 1 science and 1 from major (and the rest can be any type of letter) for our committee letter. Are you going through your health committee? If so, check their specific requirements. If not, then you're probably fine.

Could you show us any med school admissions website that states "LORs need to be from Faculty in your major?"

Yep, happy to. This is directly from Albert Einstein’s MD Admissions page:

“It is required that one of these letters be from a faculty member in the department of the applicant’s major.”

Guess I can’t apply to that school then lol

Reactions: 2 users
Reactions: 4 users

“It is required that one of these letters be from a faculty member in the department of the applicant’s major.”

So why are you asking questions you already know the answer to?

Reactions: 12 users

Einstein and NYMC required a LOR from a professor within your major's department this cycle

Reactions: 1 users
It's probably because I'm paranoid

Get the good rec letters from the physics professor and get an extra one that's more generic from the bio department for the schools you need one for. You don't have to send it to every school, you can choose which go where. That way you don't limit where you can apply and still have the better letters.

Reactions: 3 users

My buddy and I were marked complete there even though our letters didn't have a clear connection to our majors.

As long as they're from a diverse array of subjects (science and nonscience) I think you'll be fine. Can't see this tanking a desirable applicant.

Jefferson also has a strange letter requirement and I know someone who got an interview without meeting it...

I got 2 from sociology profs, worked out great.

Einstein and NYMC required a LOR from a professor within your major's department this cycle

Rumor has it people have gotten around it at NYMC - I've heard from some of my classmates at NYMC that they did not have a major rec letter (And obviously they got in). We had the same rule my cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.