Is Touro COM a joke?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OP's rhetoric is the reason why schools choose to invest millions of dollars into more needless buildings, bridges, gardens, and towers. For the sake of vanity they choose to decorate their schools into theme parks while the students who usually benefit the most from a rigorous undergraduate education are often stuck in outdated dilapidated buildings on the fringes of campus. And instead of venturing into long walks across the university gardens, choose to spend a majority of their time in a quiet, forgotten public study area for time efficiency and work productivity.

The school administration benefits because they can put in their quarterly report that they constructed a new building for Latino studies so that now they are culturally aware of the nuances in culture presented by their Hispanic Department and Latino Department. By sheltering professors of similar ideology in similar work environments, they hope to promote a holistic university culture of diversity and multiculturalism.
Spending $$$ to look more nice? Hmmm... sounds new to me!
Men's bathroom in two of the buildings at my school don't even have blinders. It'd suck to be a Physics student... It looks like 1940's bathroom.
Most people just finish doing their business when someone walks in.. you can literally see someone's junk effortlessly.
However, we spent a million inviting two folks to our campus. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Schools do spend $$$ on stupid stuff, by-passing things we need.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You honestly don’t learn from your professors lectures anyways. With research, you are most likely going to get productive research through professors at your school. Research is important for competitive residencies. The more published your professors are the more likely they are to be efficient at pumping out papers

Okay...

Members don't see this ad :)
You honestly don’t learn from your professors lectures anyways. With research, you are most likely going to get productive research through professors at your school. Research is important for competitive residencies. The more published your professors are the more likely they are to be efficient at pumping out papers

What are you talking about? Of course you learn from your professors at good schools that make good hires. Don't perpetuate this, as it would be unacceptable, if true, at any institution.

Reactions: 2 users
What are you talking about? Of course you learn from your professors at good schools that make good hires. Don't perpetuate this, as it would be unacceptable, if true, at any institution.
Agree to disagree. I have friends at the UC I went to for undergrad’s medschool. Still have the same complaints. I guess I can clarify what I am saying. You don’t need to hear their lectures. There is a difference between being able to learn from your professors and it being inefficient. If they make a solid ppt with objectives then that’s good in my book. I don’t need them reading me slides when I can digest the lecture in half the time on my own with the ppt and videos/book chapter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Its a means to an end....thats the way to look at things. I did not go to touro ny but am very familiar with tourNV and they definitely have their stuff together. Clinical rotations at a large teaching hospital associated with fellowships. I will say that med school prepared me literally how to pass to get closer to figuring out how to pass the boards on my own. Residency and fellowship is where practical abilities and knowledge was gained the most in my experience. I mean yes, the building of NY touro looks not like a typically medical school but it still can produce a degree. The question to the OP is are you willing to take the initiative to thrive in any environment and come out on top? If the school is somewhere you wouldn't want to be then keep it as a back up...no big deal. If its your only choice left then the question is whether or not you want to be a physician at all costs. Where I want to medical school was known for brutal winters (third highest snow fall in the country behind lake pleasant michigan and syracuse ny) but it prepared me enough to navigate rotations and pick up knowledge to pass shelfs/steps and lock in a residency where I prepared my self and took initiative to get into a fellowship.

Touro NY and Touro NV are two, totally autonomous and totally separate schools.

Touro NY should and must be avoided at all costs at this point, even if it is your "only option." Re-apply. The administration does not care about student concerns at all. The school is a total and complete mess. Every week there is a new problem. Every. Single. Week. Financial aid messing up student applications. Transcripts not being up-to-date or properly mailed for 4th year students. Talk to some of the 3rd years on these forums. We lost a large chunk of our clinical affiliates over the summer and clinical ed won't do anything about it. I do not think this school be open in 5-6 years. There are 3rd year students who will not be doing any inpatient IM or OB. How can you be a doctor without any inpatient IM training? We have another site visit from COCA coming up in 2018 and I don't think it's going to be pretty.

Reactions: 1 user
Dang, current Touro NY students seem to really hate their school. Do you think the Middletown campus will be as bad as Harlem? I interviewed at Middletown and the students seemed happy. I do get a shady vibe from the school but I don't think I've heard any Middletown students complain, just Harlem.

Agree to disagree. I have friends at the UC I went to for undergrad’s medschool. Still have the same complaints. I guess I can clarify what I am saying. You don’t need to hear their lectures. There is a difference between being able to learn from your professors and it being inefficient. If they make a solid ppt with objectives then that’s good in my book. I don’t need them reading me slides when I can digest the lecture in half the time on my own with the ppt and videos/book chapter.

I agree with you about serial slide readers, but sometimes you need to watch the lecture because what is mentioned in the lecture or video can be tested.

You need ask the upper class on what to do and not to do, don't listen to anyone on SDN

Touro NY and Touro NV are two, totally autonomous and totally separate schools.

Touro NY should and must be avoided at all costs at this point, even if it is your "only option." Re-apply. The administration does not care about student concerns at all. The school is a total and complete mess. Every week there is a new problem. Every. Single. Week. Financial aid messing up student applications. Transcripts not being up-to-date or properly mailed for 4th year students. Talk to some of the 3rd years on these forums. We lost a large chunk of our clinical affiliates over the summer and clinical ed won't do anything about it. I do not think this school be open in 5-6 years. There are 3rd year students who will not be doing any inpatient IM or OB. How can you be a doctor without any inpatient IM training? We have another site visit from COCA coming up in 2018 and I don't think it's going to be pretty.

Must be a Harlem thing, can you be more specific about losing a "large chunk of our clinical affiliates"?

I agree with you about serial slide readers, but sometimes you need to watch the lecture because what is mentioned in the lecture or video can be tested.

You need ask the upper class on what to do and not to do, don't listen to anyone on SDN

I’ve already made it through that gauntlet.

I’ve already made it through that gauntlet.

But a lot of us haven't. I've had a few professors who would only test on what has been said through their mouth and not on their slides. They are doing this on purpose to get people to come to class, since they teach like garbage and nobody want to come (in addition to not recording their class session). Professor who write good objectives and have a flood of information on their slides are not really the norm.

I've had professor who literally only use pictures with a few words on it. Yet surprisingly, they taught it so well I didn't really need to read. These types exist in medical school.

But a lot of us haven't. I've had a few professors who would only test on what has been said through their mouth and not on their slides. They are doing this on purpose to get people to come to class, since they teach like garbage and nobody want to come (in addition to not recording their class session). Professor who write good objectives and have a flood of information on their slides are not really the norm.

People like that are sadistic and students should do everything in their power to get school policies in place that protect them from this. I had colleague who did that once and was appalled. He later got fired, much to our relief.

Reactions: 4 users
Dang, current Touro NY students seem to really hate their school. Do you think the Middletown campus will be as bad as Harlem? I interviewed at Middletown and the students seemed happy. I do get a shady vibe from the school but I don't think I've heard any Middletown students complain, just Harlem.

Personally love Middletown. I can safely say that Middletown and Harlem are basically two separate schools and should not be viewed as (Touro-NY). For ex: our main rotation site where we send most of our students
Award-winning Hospital Services & Healthcare Accreditations | Orange Regional Medical Center

This hospital is for Middletown ONLY. I have never have a problem with administration at all. Would recommend this school to anyone.

P.S. Middletown board scores are in the area of top 5 for all of DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally love Middletown. I can safely say that Middletown and Harlem are basically two separate schools and should not be viewed as (Touro-NY). For ex: our main rotation site where we send most of our students
Award-winning Hospital Services & Healthcare Accreditations | Orange Regional Medical Center

This hospital is for Middletown ONLY. I have never have a problem with administration at all. Would recommend this school to anyone.

They said they were #10 in board scores at my interview. Where did you get top 5 from?

LOL. Orange Regional only takes about 30-40 students per year. It's not a large hospital and it's not even a trauma center. Most of the good stuff goes to St. Luke's Cornwall. They are struggling to get some of their residency programs through the ACGME accreditation.
Also, no, Middletown's boards are NOT in the top 5.

Area of top 5. I think to be exact they are 8th.

ORMC is well on its way to being a level II trauma center. I cant speak about the residency programs.

People like that are sadistic and students should do everything in their power to get school policies in place that protect them from this. I had colleague who did that once and was appalled. He later got fired, much to our relief.

Hit the nail right on the head with "sadistic" :p

Area of top 5. I think to be exact they are 8th.

ORMC is well on its way to being a level II trauma center. I cant speak about the residency programs.
Where are you getting this info from? During their presentation they said they were number ten. Were they using last years data?

LOL. Orange Regional only takes about 30-40 students per year. It's not a large hospital and it's not even a trauma center. Most of the good stuff goes to St. Luke's Cornwall. They are struggling to get some of their residency programs through the ACGME accreditation.
Also, no, Middletown's boards are NOT in the top 5.

Residency program is a hospital issue not the medical school

Not trying to fuel the fire, but might I add...

1024px-Touro_Nursing_5327_18th_Av_jeh.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Could you elaborate?

I interviewed last week. I felt one of the interviewers was ridiculous and extremely unprofessional. It’s a 2 on 1 interview. Not to mention the cost of attendance is over $100k per year.

The outside of the building is shady AF but the inside isn’t bad. The students seemed happy enough though and I was amazed by how diverse the class was.

I interviewed last week. I felt one of the interviewers was ridiculous and extremely unprofessional. It’s a 2 on 1 interview. Not to mention the cost of attendance is over $100k per year.

The outside of the building is shady AF but the inside isn’t bad. The students seemed happy enough though and I was amazed by how diverse the class was.
What do you mean "ridiculous and extremely unprofessional?" What exactly did he do?

Is that the only thing that made you "totally turned off by the school?"

What do you mean "ridiculous and extremely unprofessional?" What exactly did he do?

Is that the only thing that made you "totally turned off by the school?"
I don’t want to give away too many details because that would give away my identity.

I will say that this interview was the most unprofessional interview I’ve ever had and I’ve already had 6 interviews this cycle. The interview was enough for me to not want to go to this school.

Besides the insane price tag and poor rotation sites, yes that was the only thing I found wrong with the school.

I don’t want to give away too many details because that would give away my identity.

I will say that this interview was the most unprofessional interview I’ve ever had and I’ve already had 6 interviews this cycle. The interview was enough for me to not want to go to this school.

Besides the insane price tag and poor rotation sites, yes that was the only thing I found wrong with the school.
Could I PM you? I'm really curious about this.

I will say that my Middletown experience was great.

.. Seriously? Just answer this, if you wanted to be a doctor, and this was your only admission..? Why would you give a @HIT?
At the end of the day no one (excluding sensitive and complex people) cares if you have an MD, DO, or your a Foreign grad. What matters significantly is whether you are a competent and caring Physician.

But yeah its kinda ****ty touro... the exterior.. lol.

Because, contrary to popular belief, going to a school you hate and being miserable there is far far worse than reapplying. No one should EVER apply to a school for the sole reason "well I guess it will turn me into a doctor."

Because, contrary to popular belief, going to a school you hate and being miserable there is far far worse than reapplying. No one should EVER apply to a school for the sole reason "well I guess it will turn me into a doctor."
Sure, I certainly know where your going with this but you didn't answer what I said. What if thats the only school you got into (even after reapplying 50 times)? I didn't add any other hypotheticals lol. Of course you'd want to go to your first choice, but thats Not what I said.

Sure, I certainly know where your going with this but you didn't answer what I said. What if thats the only school you got into (even after reapplying 50 times)? I didn't add any other hypotheticals lol. Of course you'd want to go to your first choice, but thats Not what I said.

Then you weigh your options. Is it worth it to you to go someplace you absolutely hate for 4 years just because you want to be a doctor? At that point would you rather go to a PA school closer to home or someplace you’d much rather be? I think pre meds make the mistake of not thinking things through when a situation like this occurs. If it’s more important to you to become a physician over anything else you’ll bite the bullet and go, but there are other options for someone in that scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

lol dont wanna be that guy, but I disagree with you (for once :D). I don't wanna derail but that is the thought of many people applying to DO schools

I'd like to weight in here, Touro will make you a doctor. If you get in can you grit and bear it if you don't like it, sure......would I advise it if it's you're only acceptance, NO ONE can tell you that, only you can.

I saw above a post regarding ORMC, its a good, brand new hospital. It gets 23,000 admissions per year....I'd like to make note though that they lost places like Hackensack UNIVERSITY Medical Center, and others like Trintas in NJ. These are crucial to a med student's development. HUMC is a top tier hospital that rotates students like SGU grads which granted can't be outbid financially but every effort should be made to secure rotations for your students at these hospitals. Again not knocking ORMC or all the other clinics Touro has for rotations but honestly I'd like to learn at a busy and well respected hospital as opposed to a new up and coming one. ORMC may be great in a few years but idk and no one can predict that.

Overall, if you can test well (MCAT like lower to mid 500s) Touro will take you, and you will do well on COMLEX 1, as for COMLEX 2, their scores aren't great but if you think you can beat the system fine then do it, overall its a gamble but then again most of life is too

lol dont wanna be that guy, but I disagree with you (for once :D). I don't wanna derail but that is the thought of many people applying to DO schools
Yeah, sometimes you just have to suck it up. Also, turning down an acceptance will not mean reapplying, it will mean finding a new career.

Yeah, sometimes you just have to suck it up. Also, turning down an acceptance will not mean reapplying, it will mean finding a new career.

The point is that you shouldn't apply in the first place.

That's not quite the same thing, I'm not talking about a degree. The people who do that and apply to DO schools still should only choose and apply to the DO schools that they can see themselves comfortably attending

Luckily I have acceptances already that I don't have to go to Touro. If I was in a situation in which Touro was my only acceptance, I think I would go because I don't think I should judge a school based off one ****ty interviewer.

But since I have options, that ****ty interviewer and $100k a year have turned me way off.

Reactions: 3 users
The point isn't just to become a doctor; you want to become a good doctor for your community's sake. And as of now, I'm not confident that TouroNY has what it takes to guide their students toward that direction.

So schools can see if you've been accepted to a med school before?

The school makes you take a COMSAE and until you get a certain score, they will not give you a permit to take Level 1. Most students in the class of 2019 took a vacation month to study for Level 1 because they felt so unprepared. It looks like I will probably be doing the same. AFAIK, only 30-40% of the class ahead of me took Step 1.
Will Touro make you a doctor? Probably. Will they make you the best doctor you can be and work hard to open as many doors for you as possible? absolutely not.
The reality is that matching as a DO is going to be more and more challenging in the coming years. Your school MUST be your ADVOCATE and work HARD to give you a solid education and fight for you in the city, especially in NYC, home to a dozen medschools. I don't think Touro cares at all. My partner lives in NYC and I have to be here but if I had ANY OTHER CHOICE, even if it meant reapplying, I would choose anyplace else but Touro.

Just as a side note, no matter how good your school looks, students will ALWAYS complain about their school's facility/administration.
I go to one of the midwesterns, we got beautiful campuses, we throw around jokes like "we don't pay enough tuition" all the time ;)
Go to a school for its pass rate/match rate, don't worry about the look of it, suck it up and you'll be out of there in 2 years anyway.

Aesthetics arent Touro's issue. It's actually a prime location. 125th with a 20 minute commute to best parts of Manhattan. I was pretty content with the school until feb/march of last year.

The clinical rotation staff absolutely ****ed our class though.
Anyone who wants to go for ACGME residency got completely sabotaged with the admin's vsas debacle. Late access, refusing to upload transcripts in time since 'we only do it in blocks', not uploading other documents, not responding to emails, yelling if you called them on the phone..

Last edited:
Aesthetics arent Touro's issue. It's actually a prime location. 125th with a 20 minute commute to best parts of Manhattan. I was pretty content with the school until feb/march of last year.

Anyone who wants to go for ACGME residency got completely sabotaged with the admin's vsas debacle. Late access, refusing to upload transcripts in time since 'we only do it in blocks', not uploading other documents, not responding to emails, yelling if you called them on the phone..
:smack:

I'm going into rotations next year. What advice would you give to avoid disasters you have stated above and also who you think the ideal clinical coordinators are?

I'm going into rotations next year. What advice would you give to avoid disasters you have stated above and also who you think the ideal clinical coordinators are?

There's only one clinical coordinator. I actually feel bad for her since she has to handle m4, m3, and incoming m2 paperwork on her own.

Best you can do is apply to osteopathic audition rotations since they're not through vsas. Look up the most academic places like MSU and PCOM affiliated hospitals. You want your letter to be as academic as possible.

There's only one clinical coordinator. I actually feel bad for her since she has to handle m4, m3, and incoming m2 paperwork on her own.

Best you can do is apply to osteopathic audition rotations since they're not through vsas. Look up the most academic places like MSU and PCOM affiliated hospitals. You want your letter to be as academic as possible.

Incoming M3 = class of 2020 = integrated match?

Last edited:
Incoming M3 = class of 2020 = integrated match?

Oh right. In that case I dont know. The ones in our class without a problem are using old m3 letters for community IM/FM. So it's not a total disaster. The other half are using 4th year AOA letters hoping it'll help them break into ACGME EM/Ob/etc but it's been a problem with getting sufficient interviews.

The thing is that there's a really simple solution, but the school will never do it lol. All it takes to fix everything is for the school to move things up lol. The Nova M3 with me right now was already instructed to pick his AOA M4 home and away lines and they'll be getting the VSAS access for ACGME January 1st or something.

.. Seriously? Just answer this, if you wanted to be a doctor, and this was your only admission..? Why would you give a @HIT?
At the end of the day no one (excluding sensitive and complex people) cares if you have an MD, DO, or your a Foreign grad. What matters significantly is whether you are a competent and caring Physician.

But yeah its kinda ****ty touro... the exterior.. lol.

How are you qualified to make this statement?