Isotopes are chemically identical because?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dawglala

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to Barron's AP bio, they are chemically identical because they have the same number of electrons.

I thought it's because they have the same number of protons. Although chemical activity is determined by the number of electrons, it's somewhat confusing because in this case it seems like they imply the number of protons do not matter, especially when the subject is isotopes. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

According to Barron's AP bio, they are chemically identical because they have the same number of electrons.

I thought it's because they have the same number of protons. Although chemical activity is determined by the number of electrons, it's somewhat confusing because in this case it seems like they imply the number of protons do not matter, especially when the subject is isotopes. Any thoughts?

Well all isotopes have the same # of protons but different number of neutrons; which adds up to different atomic weight.

Why would you think that protons are involved in chemical reaction? Whenever you have a reaction the VALENCE ELECTRONS are the ones that are responsible for the reaction. They wanna have octet in their outershell so they react to become more stable. There is no reason why protons would react..

Always remember that atoms in same column have same reactivity b/c they all have same number of VALENCE ELECTRONS (involved in a reaction)..

I think you answered your own question if they have the same number of electrons and the same number of protons what is the only thing that is changing, the number of protons. Isotopes have to be different somehow right otherwise they would be the same atom.

Isotopes usually don't have any kind of charge on them if they did then that would change the number of electrons. If the atomic number is changed then that would change the number of protons and electrons. If the atomic weight is changed like in isotopes then the number of neutrons is changed. It all depends on what kind of isotope you are talking about.