It Can Be Done -- Non-Traditional Medical Student Success Stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
QofQuimica said:
It's an interesting perspective difference between us versus trads. One trad was lamenting to me at our second look that she would not get out of med school until she was in her mid-twenties, and she would be nearly 30 by the time she started practicing. I looked at her for a moment, and then pointed out that I am starting medical school at an older age than she will be when she starts practicing medicine. I'll be lucky to be actually practicing by age 40 :)

The best thing about being a non-trad for me is knowing with complete conviction that I am on the right path - I think my younger counterparts struggle a lot with whether they made the right decision to do medicine, whereas I had 5 solid years to doubt and question myself and yet have every sign continue to propel me forward. I've heard others say similar things here, that they would test the water with this job or that class and find the momentum build with every baby step forward. Knowing there is nowhere else I'd rather be is a wonderful and peaceful feeling.

Members don't see this ad.

Brickhouse said:
The best thing about being a non-trad for me is knowing with complete conviction that I am on the right path - I think my younger counterparts struggle a lot with whether they made the right decision to do medicine, whereas I had 5 solid years to doubt and question myself and yet have every sign continue to propel me forward. I've heard others say similar things here, that they would test the water with this job or that class and find the momentum build with every baby step forward. Knowing there is nowhere else I'd rather be is a wonderful and peaceful feeling.

:thumbup:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

chocomorsel said:
Great stories people. I am addicted to this forum. Anyhow, here's my story.
I graduated at 17 and joined the Army reserves. I always wanted to be a doctor but neither I nor my parents had the funding to put me thru school. So when the Army came knocking on my door and offered me free training to be an LVN, I jumped right in.
I was gone for two years, came back home took my LVN license exam, and started working parttime and going to school full time. 18 months later I earned an associates degree from community college and then went on to 4 year college. I was trying to earn a bachelors in bio and was going to Universtiy of North Texas in Dallas. Then I talked to one of the english professors asking him to proofread my essay that I was going to submit to UNT and he talked me into going into Baylor, because soo many more applicants get accepted to medical school than from UNT. So I went to Baylor in the spring semester, hated it, and realized it was a complete waste of financial aid. I could earn a bio degree from a state school for way cheaper. So I transferred after one semester to UT San Antonio to continue taking my pre-reqs. I had a hard time, and realized that I needed a back up plan just in case I couldn't get into medical school. So I changed major to Nursing and decided to get my BSN. Two years later, I finished my bachelors of science in nursing at the age of 24. I graduated summa cum laude with a 3.85 GPA and 3.2 or so science GPA.
I took on a full time job and finished the few pre-med classes that I hadn't finished yet. The summer of 04 I took the Kaplan review for the MCAT while working full time (36 hrs). I struggled in there. On my practice tests I never got above a 20. At the same time I was working on my applications and personal statement but after getting dissapointing MCAT mocks, I held off completing and submitting everything, even though they were pretty much ready to go by the end of july. I took the Aug MCAT, felt horribly about it, but promised myself that if I got above a 20, I would submit my application. I honestly had resigned to re-applying the next year. Awaited the results, and when they came back in I had a 21. Not too hot, but I kept the promise to myself. I applied to 4 schools in TX, the only ones that didn't require secondaries, and the DO school. It was mid october by this time and I didn't have time to start writing essays. So anyway, didn't finish the secondary for the DO school so of course didn't get in there.
By december I figured nothing was gonna happen so I kept on about my business working and hanging out. Then got a call from my current school for a last minute interview. Someone else had cancelled on them, and now they had a slot for me. I drove down that next night with my best friend, (Luckily I was off from work) and interviewed the last day of interviews on December 12th. My first went great, but my second I figure I'd pretty much blown. So I figured I didn't get in.
But by God's grace, I got in to this one school. What a long shot. My story is actually one of those that doesn't happen frequently but God is Good. I should thank him more, especially after reading about other's dissappointments. But I told myself that I would give it three tries and that was it. Luckily all it took was one. I know, I know, how the heck did I get in with a 21MCAT? Luckily, I had a great background, military and healthcare experience, good total GPA'S, and I'm a minority. I'm not blind to the whole AA thing, I definetly appreciate it. I just want to say that I am blessed. I'm now 27 and in my third year, and getting closer and closer to my goal. Sure I'm not at the top of my class, but I managed to stay in the middle third, did ok, on Step 1 and am trucking right along. And sure I took the scenic route, but I am eventually gonna get there. Go Non-Trads. You can do it. :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Brickhouse said:

True true. I think that's one advantage people who've worked and lived in the 'real world' can say they have over mere college students. :p

I do sometimes wonder if I'd feel the same motivation for med school had I opted to do the traditional path....I think I would have felt I was 'missing out' and/or felt frustrated I choose such a demanding career. But after spending a few years questioning what I wanted to do, it's easier to realize this IS what I want to do with my life. :D

Reactions: 1 user
RxnMan said:
I'll post mine, which has been mostly available via MDApps. For those who wish to be bored:

I graduated a private, LAC-prep high school at the age of sixteen. My mother was diagnosed with cancer 3 days before I graduated. I didn't know at the time, but she was told she had 6 months to two years to live. When my dad was away at work, I was primary caregiver for her first round of chemo that summer. It was brutal, and I RAN to college.

I had already decided to become and engineer, like my father. I had an idea of becoming a doc at that time, but it was on the order of a kid wanting to be an astronaut - unformed at best.

So, as she went through rounds of chemo and surgery, I became less and less interested in school. I got to partying too hard and I got caught with alcohol by the police (I was 19 at the time,) and sent to court. I participated in a counseling program so that the misdemeanor would be expunged. During counseling sessions it became apparent that the partying was a symptom of depression. I started seeing a counselor weekly.

During this time my grades slipped more and more. Finally, the semester after my mom died, I earned a stunning 0.7 GPA. I was given a mandatory leave of absence. I was 20.

I didn't know what to do with myself. I knew I needed a change. I happened to get a research assisstant job at the local med school, working under a doc. I got to shadowing him and I watched him round. I decided that I loved the medical research, but I wanted to see if being a doc was for me. I had to know, as definitively as possible, if medicine was for me, BEFORE I commited to it. I decided to volunteer at the local level-one ER. That sort of place polarizes you - you either love it or hate it. I would know if med research (and a PhD) was in my future, or medicine.

I loved it.

The traumas, the people, the action, the procedures - I loved it all. Every day I volunteered served to boost me up - I was on the right path, and gave me the energy to press on.

The next semester I re-entered engineering school, earning a 3.5 GPA and takig my prereqs at night. Weekends were taken up with volunteering at the ER (Saturdays, 7pm-3am). My school doesn't offer pre-md advising, so I applied the first time without any academic support (and I paid for all my apps out-of-pocket). I took the MCAT and did well. I was rejected from all 20 places.

I knew my grades (now a 2.4, up from 1.7 when I left school,) were the problem, so I went to grad school. I took classes full time and did a medically-related thesis project, and I taught O-chem and gen chem (classes I earned "D's" in). During this time I took the MCAT over, did better, and re-applied, but was rejected again. I did get one interview, so I knew I was on the right track.

Later I funded my education with an engineering job at the local children's hospital. I did a bunch of research there and got published. This last year, I applied to 27 schools, got two interviews, and one acceptance. I am now 25.

Yes, putting yourself out there again and again hurts like hell. It is hard to do so, but you can come back from a low GPA. Dream big, but be sure of your convictions, so that you can weather the nay-sayers and have the will to overcome the hard work before you.

Thank you for that. Im a pre med now (class of 2007), and lost my mom unexpectedly second semester sophomore year. I go to school in new orleans (loyola), so I had to relocate first semester junior year to Umich. It was a rather rough patch to say the least, and as a result I ended up with a 2.16 (3.6 at loyola). Thank you for that story. makes me feel a bit better/hopeful.

Phantasmagoria said:
Thank you for that. Im a pre med now (class of 2007), and lost my mom unexpectedly second semester sophomore year. I go to school in new orleans (loyola), so I had to relocate first semester junior year to Umich. It was a rather rough patch to say the least, and as a result I ended up with a 2.16 (3.6 at loyola). Thank you for that story. makes me feel a bit better/hopeful.

I am sorry about your loss. I lost my gradfather my sophomore year to cancer, he raised me... When I had my midterms I had to be at the hospital to translate him since where were no doctors on duty who spoke the same language as we do. I am coming from the family with extensive cancer history I put it in my personal statement as what I was through and how I learned from my experiences and how those experiences made me better person. I am still beliveing that medical schools not only about numbers....

Phantasmagoria said:
Anytime. Losing people you love sucks.

With my ugrad GPA, I had MANY people tell me it was never going to happen. My advisor told me that I'd never make it. Another professor laughed when I told him. Don't let them get you down. It is a long road, but work hard, keep your eyes on the prize, and do what it takes to get what you want out of life.

RxnMan said:
I knew my grades (now a 2.4, up from 1.7 when I left school,) were the problem, so I went to grad school. I took classes full time and did a medically-related thesis project, and I taught O-chem and gen chem (classes I earned "D's" in).

Congrats on overcoming such a low gpa but i find it very disturbing that a school would allow you to "teach" chem classes that you received Ds in.

iheartrain said:
Congrats on overcoming such a low gpa but i find it very disturbing that a school would allow you to "teach" chem classes that you received Ds in.
Thanks, I guess?

I thought it was not so much disturbing as ironic. :D The profs go over the content of the lab (rxns, procedures, tests, etc.) before every class. I got better student reviews than the other TA, and he had worked in the polymer/plastics industry!

Thanks, y'all. It is comforting for me to hear how anything is possible, especially since there's so many youngins on here who like to spread nasty rumors like junior college attendees will never make it to med school, ect.

Of course, by the time I apply, I will be older than dirt (like 30 *shudder) so I'm a little less apt to believe stuff like that...

At any rate, congrats to everyone on pursuing your happiness and setting the bar high for the rest of us ;)

Hi gang, been a bi-stander for a bit and finally ready to join the team of non-traditionals. I am the mother of triplet 1year olds, and after seeing their medical miracle story first hand I have decided that medicine may indeed be my calling.

HUGE QUESTION: Can you do well on MCATS with dvd lectures (mcat-prep), review books on subjects, and aamc practice materials if you haven't been in these classes for 8+ years? It would be pushing it to sign up for two classes now, since the semester starts in about a week, so I was hoping I could learn on my own and it would all "come back to me". I really want to get my feet wet with a Spring MCAt, leaving me enought time to take one in the summer if I don't do well.

I REALLY need you guys/ and girls help on this one? Is this a good or bad idea? Why or why not? Any tips? Also, I'm hoping some of the Physics, Org. Chem professors will help me during their office hours since I will be taking all of this next semester....

ONE LAST QUESTION: Can I take Physics I & II AND ORG I & II during the summer term together, or is that just insane??

Thank you and good luck. You ALL sound like amazing individuals who will make those unique doctors that we all remember :)...

Godbless and goodluck.

R. Neree

rneree said:
Hi gang, been a bi-stander for a bit and finally ready to join the team of non-traditionals. I am the mother of triplet 1year olds, and after seeing their medical miracle story first hand I have decided that medicine may indeed be my calling.

HUGE QUESTION: Can you do well on MCATS with dvd lectures (mcat-prep), review books on subjects, and aamc practice materials if you haven't been in these classes for 8+ years? It would be pushing it to sign up for two classes now, since the semester starts in about a week, so I was hoping I could learn on my own and it would all "come back to me". I really want to get my feet wet with a Spring MCAt, leaving me enought time to take one in the summer if I don't do well.

I REALLY need you guys/ and girls help on this one? Is this a good or bad idea? Why or why not? Any tips? Also, I'm hoping some of the Physics, Org. Chem professors will help me during their office hours since I will be taking all of this next semester....

ONE LAST QUESTION: Can I take Physics I & II AND ORG I & II during the summer term together, or is that just insane??

Thank you and good luck. You ALL sound like amazing individuals who will make those unique doctors that we all remember :)...

Godbless and goodluck.

R. Neree
Welcome rneree! Congratulations on your decision to pursue medicine.

You might find more help if you were to start a new thread with these questions. In fact, would a moderator mind splitting this thread off? It would also help to keep this thread a little more strictly focused on success stories.

Since you asked, though, I think you will find a number of different opinions on this topic. My personal advice would be to take the classes again unless you are absolutely certain you can study the material on your own. Introductory bio classes have changed quite a bit over the last few years, which might not translate well to simple review. As far as the summer goes, I would not recommend doubling up. It depends on your school, of course, but I would not have been able to dedicate as much time to studying as I wanted if I had taken two science courses concurrently over the summer.

blee said:
Welcome rneree! Congratulations on your decision to pursue medicine.

You might find more help if you were to start a new thread with these questions. In fact, would a moderator mind splitting this thread off? It would also help to keep this thread a little more strictly focused on success stories.

Since you asked, though, I think you will find a number of different opinions on this topic. My personal advice would be to take the classes again unless you are absolutely certain you can study the material on your own. Introductory bio classes have changed quite a bit over the last few years, which might not translate well to simple review. As far as the summer goes, I would not recommend doubling up. It depends on your school, of course, but I would not have been able to dedicate as much time to studying as I wanted if I had taken two science courses concurrently over the summer.

Thanks! I will start a new thread for this topic. Sorry...this is a great thread and I certainly don't want to pollute it with random questions.

R.Neree

Members don't see this ad :)
"ONE LAST QUESTION: Can I take Physics I & II AND ORG I & II during the summer term together, or is that just insane?? "

I think it will be insane because you want to get good grades in those classes and you also have a family. I mean you have to have time to study and physics and orgo together is a BAD combination. Good luck !!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

The line from Patton keeps running through my head when I'm in class, "God Help me, but I do love it so."

Now that I am finally in class, I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything. All you nontrads just keep working, the world does turn. I am a long way from a college drop out at the 95th AG reception BN, FT. Sill, OK.

Taty said:
"ONE LAST QUESTION: Can I take Physics I & II AND ORG I & II during the summer term together, or is that just insane?? "

I think it will be insane because you want to get good grades in those classes and you also have a family. I mean you have to have time to study and physics and orgo together is a BAD combination. Good luck !!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

i think you'd be nuts and basically be killed with work, unless you're one of the genius kids in the mcat forum

This is so true. Why medical schools don't require people to work out in the real world for 2 or 3 years before they can be admitted to medical school I don't understand. I think that not as many people would become a doctor if they were given more time to mature and find what is all out there in the world.

NonTradMed said:
True true. I think that's one advantage people who've worked and lived in the 'real world' can say they have over mere college students. :p

I do sometimes wonder if I'd feel the same motivation for med school had I opted to do the traditional path....I think I would have felt I was 'missing out' and/or felt frustrated I choose such a demanding career. But after spending a few years questioning what I wanted to do, it's easier to realize this IS what I want to do with my life. :D

The Beast is Saturday. I reread this thread, and feel somewhat confident again. Nervous, to be sure, as I'm still reviewing O.Chem and Physics, but still, it's very reassuring.

I'm gonna need it...

I'm ready for it to be over...and would be very happy to be posting in this thread as a "survivor" in a few months.

Hitting the "submit" button tonight and taking the beast on Saturday.

MJB said:
I'm gonna need it...

I'm ready for it to be over...and would be very happy to be posting in this thread as a "survivor" in a few months.

Hitting the "submit" button tonight and taking the beast on Saturday.
You'll be fine, M. That's why you take the pre-reqs first, then the test. ;)

Just remember - be realistic about your results; schools aren't looking for perfection! An average score goes a long way, I'm proof!
GOOD LUCK!!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

kimmcauliffe said:
Thanks, y'all. It is comforting for me to hear how anything is possible, especially since there's so many youngins on here who like to spread nasty rumors like junior college attendees will never make it to med school, ect.

Of course, by the time I apply, I will be older than dirt (like 30 *shudder) so I'm a little less apt to believe stuff like that...

At any rate, congrats to everyone on pursuing your happiness and setting the bar high for the rest of us ;)

I've said this before in a similar thread but it is still relavent and I hope people realize that there is always hope...

I am currently an MS4 at a US allopathic school and am counting down the days until graduation in under 9 months now! My story starts with an overall undergrad GPA of 3.1 with a science GPA of 2.98 from my state university and an MCAT of 23. I didn't get in the 1st time I applied...of course I didn't. I actually didn't think I would either, but I applied anyway, live and learn, I never should have applied as a practice run, if you know what I mean. I retook the MCAT, graduated from college with the good ole B.S. in Biology and reapplied...with an MCAT of 24 this time plus some research....didn't get in...again...but still did it wrong...I didn't apply to enough schools and I didn't even consider DO.

So I worked for a year...didn't reapply the third time and applied to graduate programs. I completed a full 2 year master's program requiring a thesis and got my M.S. with a grad GPA of 3.5 and good letters of rec, published a few papers, presented at a few meetings, retook the MCAT...again with a 24 (ARGH!) I honestly should have sucked it up and taken a Kaplan course, but again I did it wrong (learn from my mistakes people) but decided to give it a chance again...reapplied (3rd application process) but to only my state schools (still not the best idea looking back on that). I got an interview. From that, I was waitlisted...believe it or not, I was accepted in August off the waitlist only 1 week before classes began and that's all she wrote. I worked really hard all those years, I made some mistakes and really made it hard for myself by not applying more broadly and for not giving the MCAT all I should have (PLEASE Don't get stuck taking it 3 times) but in the end I was successful. Some would say I got lucky...but I don't think for a second that they wasted a spot on me or made a mistake.

I'm top 15% of my class with 230s on step 1, high pass and honors on my clinicals and doing great. I'm looking forward to graduating and not for one second did my avg performance in college affect my ability to do well in med school nor did my nemesis the MCAT have any bearing on my Step 1. Trust me...if I can do it...you can do it!! I've worked really hard and put in my time over the last few years but it was all worth it. I still managed to have a life and have a good time. I thank God that someone was willing to take a chance on me....I think I showed them that they didn't make a mistake by giving me this opportunity.

Like many of you, I know about the med school application process inside and out...I know about dissapointment and I know about frustration, but I also know that it's possible to make it and if you have the stamina and the guts to deal with failure...just keep trying. We all have to do what's right for us so I wish each and every one of you good luck!!! :luck: :luck:

I will graduate 2 months and 4 days after my 30th birthday...I never thought I would still be in school at 30 years old and for some of you I know thats young, but I'm sharing this for those other people approachng the non-trad age group in hopes that you realize that there are lots of us out here and we're managing just fine! ;)

This thread is very encouraging. Awesome stories. Keep them coming!!

I :heart: this thread. I'll keep coming back to it when I start feeling the "I'm not gonna survive this" blues.

I did terribly on my first try at college. There were some outside factors with family and things, but it really boils down to being my fault since I didn't apply myself. So, I got into a community college to bring up my GPA, got my EMT-B cert. so that I can get a job with weekend hours that I'll have fun with, and will start at a real live university in two weeks. Being able to make it and keep my 3.7 going (not averaging in my old stuff) at the big university, bigger than the one I screwed up in, while working full time and being a full time student, will be a huge scary mental hurdle to overcome. I'm nervous as hell. This is one of those "if you can't do this, you can't be a doctor" type moments. :scared:

If things go as planned, maybe I'll maltriculate into a med school by 31-32 yrs old toting along the husband, mortgage, dogs, etc.

Wackie said:
I :heart: this thread. I'll keep coming back to it when I start feeling the "I'm not gonna survive this" blues.

I did terribly on my first try at college. There were some outside factors with family and things, but it really boils down to being my fault since I didn't apply myself. So, I got into a community college to bring up my GPA, got my EMT-B cert. so that I can get a job with weekend hours that I'll have fun with, and will start at a real live university in two weeks. Being able to make it and keep my 3.7 going (not averaging in my old stuff) at the big university, bigger than the one I screwed up in, while working full time and being a full time student, will be a huge scary mental hurdle to overcome. I'm nervous as hell. This is one of those "if you can't do this, you can't be a doctor" type moments. :scared:

Wow, that sounds like my story exactly, or at least what it will be...

I tried a small private college a few years ago, but had no direction in life and didn't apply myself at all during that time. Big mistake, not only because of poor grades, but I hate that I wasted 2.5 years of my life. A year or two ago I decided that medicine was for me and so I will be getting my EMT-B cert here in a couple of months so I can work as an ER Tech. This spring I will attend comm. college to bring my grades up then on to do my undergrad at a state college. I hope to start Med School in Fall 2009 at the ripe ol age of 27.

Gosh, that seems like so far away...

I sure hope I can post here soon. Big :love: to all non-trad. especially to those taking the beast tomorrow!

Love this thread!

RxnMan said:
I knew my grades (now a 2.4, up from 1.7 when I left school,) were the problem, so I went to grad school.

How were you able to get into grad school with a low GPA?
Was it difficult to do this?

Ebete said:
Sorry I'm a little forum slow, what's QFT?

"Quite Frankly, Though?" Just a guess. See, you are not alone! :D

Quix said:
thoffen, FTW! :D

EDIT: I must admit, though, when I first saw "QFT" I thought it meant "Quite #$*&ing True"
You are killin' me Quix! "FTW"???? I think I need a course in forum reading! :laugh:

I also though the same about QFT :oops:

datsa said:
How were you able to get into grad school with a low GPA?
Was it difficult to do this?
There was a history of people from my ugrad department switching to my grad department and they had done very well (scholastically). I was also an internal applicant, so most of the guys on the grad admissions board knew me and the the extenuating circumstances under which I earned that GPA.

Dear fellow non-trads,
This is a really inspiring thread! Though the title of this thread is "success stories" and I am not there yet (just took the August MCAT; preparing applications right now), I would like to share my story with you - you are not alone:
For start, I am foreign (more on that later) and my native language is not English. I did my undergraduate outside US or Canada (in plain English, that means AMCAS is going to put a big O in my underaduate GPA in the primary application). After finishing college and military service (mandatory), I came here (US) to start my graduate training in a medical college as a master student. After two years of struggling, I got my MS degree with a below 3.5 GPA. Then, I entered the Ph.D. program in immunology (my favority subject) in my current school (a top 20 university). After another long and hard seven years, I finally defended my thesis just two weeks before the August 19 MCAT (needless to say, I was more than exhausted after writing it). My PhD GPA is not too great either (worse than my MS GPA indeed), since at one stage both my parents got seriously ill and I just could not concentrate on studying. I know all of us face different difficulties, but I do have one obstacle that I believe most of you do not have to worry about: visa status. I am fully aware that my chance of getting into medical school is approaching to zero, because 1) very few schools would even consider foreign students; for those schools said they would, almost all of them are the top 10 schools; 2) financial constrains - foreign students are not eligible for fed-sponsored student loan and most schools accepting foreign students require deposit of all 4 years of tuition before the school starts. Therefore, I have only one choice: applying for the green card. It is such an agonizing experience and I am not out of that yet. On top of that, I am probably older than many of you (non-traditional) and I will be 40 when I graduate, if I am lucky to get in next year. I am here all by myself, so forget the moral support from the family/spouse. Of course, I would not say I face the most challeging situation, but it is certainly not easy. Still, I refuse to give up; I tried to do my best and leave the rest to God (or whoever he/she might be in your religion). I do this because I know no matter what the outcome it may be, I can proudly say to myself that at least I tried. So my dear fellow non-trads, just hang in there and do your best, your day will come.

Hello all nontrads,
I am pretty new here.I have been reading all the inspiring stories hoping to have one of them:).First I will start with introducing myself.I live in Canada.Came to Canada alone when I was 18.My family is still back home.I learnt english after 18 years old.got married when I was 20.had a baby at 21.then went to a college for health science hping to get into medicine in the university.However not everything went well while in college.I quitted health science.I failed physics because I didn't take the final exam.my husband who lost his job and I were having such financial problems that at the end I found myself in nursing because the education in nursing was shorter and the job was guaranteed.I graduated and became a nurse.I like being a nurse,however,everytime I see a doctor, it literally hurts :( because I wnted to be one of these doctors and still wanna be.In the meanwhile I went to the university to advance in nursing.First semester I failed physiology because of marital problems.I had to stop for one year to support myself and my child as I was about to divorce. Now I really want to return to the university finish my studies. Do you guys think I would have a chance if I finish my studies with A's and have a good result from MCAT?or do you have other suggestions for me to follow my dream to be a MD?
Thank you for your replies in advance.

hoping to have my DREAM to come true.

I was a so-so student in college, graduating with a computer science degree and a GPA of 2.75/BCPM 2.65 in 1999. I was actually a pre-med chemistry major for my first two years, then changed course after nearly failing honors orgo during my sophomore year. I got every possible grade at school, from A+ through F, except for C- and D-. ."

This resembles my undergrad tale of woe. I graduated with a degree in journalism, which is even further removed from medicine than an IT degree, with the exact same abysmal GPA of 2.75. (BPCM 3.6 but well, journalism students don't exactly take many math or science classes...) I love to write but just didn't care a whole lot about the j-school or what they taught. I sort had sort of drifted into the program because I wasn't seriously considering real options for my future, and also because the program happened to be the #1 undergrad program for journalism.

After half a year working for a little paper with slave wages, unfriendly staff and not much slack on the creative leash, I decided that enough was enough. I quit the job, picked up another in an unrelated field for better (i.e. liveable) pay while deciding what to do next.

About a year later, I decided in a span of 15 minutes (literally!) while driving home from work to make the plunge. My thought process was like this: I don't like normal journalism, that didn't work out, but it would be SWEET to write for a journal like the New England Journal of Medicine. Except, you need a medical degree to do that. Ok: well I'll just have to get my medical degree then. Bigger idiots than I become doctors all the time, right? ;) And the thought of actually participating clinically in a field so noble and, well, so much more directly useful to society...

Once I made the decision, everything went in fast forward. I immediately went to volunteer at a local hospital, rushed through my postbacc classes, tested out of the ones I could, took the MCAT a year ahead of schedule (my background actually helped for once, with the Verbal and Writing sections), and somehow snuck into the state university med school. It ain't Harvard, granted, but it's still a great school, and too often overlooked. I'm just happy (and very lucky) to be here!

It helps if you are enthusiastic and/or insane enough not to care about the odds! :D

Roughly three weeks into my new career as an IT consultant, I knew that I had made the wrong choice and that I needed to find a different way to make a living. Unfortunately, ennui and increasing comfort with my income caused me to make only halfhearted attempts for the following four years. I would consider business school, then stop to read up on law school, then stop to consider medicine briefly, and so on, never settling on or committing to any one course. Meanwhile, I grew ever more miserable. The bitterness I felt towards my job leaked into my personal life, eventually putting significant strain into my marriage. Yes, we had a DINK lifestyle, a nice new townhouse in the suburbs, and plans to get "the big house" and start our family in the near future. But I hated every minute I had to devote to my job. I hated getting up early, getting dressed, driving in, sitting down, working, driving home, and trying to relax afterwards. It wasn't working, no matter how much I thought I might make it work. I couldn't divorce myself from my work, and my work was turning me into a terrible person.

Inspiring story man. I was actually an electrical engineer that quit this past May and am applying for '07. I didn't have as much work experience as you (9 mos internship during college and 6 mos with the company after I graduated)...I decided to nip it in the bud sooner than later....b/c i knew I'd get sucked in to staying if I didn't act soon.. the income and the free time after work was something I couldn't complain about ..it was all great except for those 8-10 hrs of the day I was actually at work... I was curious to whether you were this truthful with the med schools during the interview and when writing your personal statement regarding your reasons for leaving the IT industry and pursuing medicine. I was thinking about being pretty blatant about my dislikes, but I didn't want them to get the idea that I hate the subject matter..I can honestly say I've lost some of the interest I once used to have and have found new ones in medicine....but more of the dislike is towards the job itself and what I was doing on a daily basis.

This resembles my undergrad tale of woe. I graduated with a degree in journalism, which is even further removed from medicine than an IT degree, with the exact same abysmal GPA of 2.75. (BPCM 3.6 but well, journalism students don't exactly take many math or science classes...) I love to write but just didn't care a whole lot about the j-school or what they taught. I sort had sort of drifted into the program because I wasn't seriously considering real options for my future, and also because the program happened to be the #1 undergrad program for journalism.

After half a year working for a little paper with slave wages, unfriendly staff and not much slack on the creative leash, I decided that enough was enough. I quit the job, picked up another in an unrelated field for better (i.e. liveable) pay while deciding what to do next.

About a year later, I decided in a span of 15 minutes (literally!) while driving home from work to make the plunge. My thought process was like this: I don't like normal journalism, that didn't work out, but it would be SWEET to write for a journal like the New England Journal of Medicine. Except, you need a medical degree to do that. Ok: well I'll just have to get my medical degree then. Bigger idiots than I become doctors all the time, right? ;) And the thought of actually participating clinically in a field so noble and, well, so much more directly useful to society...

Once I made the decision, everything went in fast forward. I immediately went to volunteer at a local hospital, rushed through my postbacc classes, tested out of the ones I could, took the MCAT a year ahead of schedule (my background actually helped for once, with the Verbal and Writing sections), and somehow snuck into the state university med school. It ain't Harvard, granted, but it's still a great school, and too often overlooked. I'm just happy (and very lucky) to be here!

It helps if you are enthusiastic and/or insane enough not to care about the odds! :D

:):clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Inspiring story man. I was actually an electrical engineer that quit this past May and am applying for '07. I didn't have as much work experience as you (9 mos internship during college and 6 mos with the company after I graduated)...I decided to nip it in the bud sooner than later....b/c i knew I'd get sucked in to staying if I didn't act soon.. the income and the free time after work was something I couldn't complain about ..it was all great except for those 8-10 hrs of the day I was actually at work... I was curious to whether you were this truthful with the med schools during the interview and when writing your personal statement regarding your reasons for leaving the IT industry and pursuing medicine. I was thinking about being pretty blatant about my dislikes, but I didn't want them to get the idea that I hate the subject matter..I can honestly say I've lost some of the interest I once used to have and have found new ones in medicine....but more of the dislike is towards the job itself and what I was doing on a daily basis.

I was truthful, but not quite so acerbic. The truth of the matter is that situations like the one I was in are usually the result of faults on both sides -- not just the career, but maybe also one's reaction to it; not just the company, but maybe how one chooses to deal with the first setbacks. You don't want to suggest that you're blameless, or that you were "too good" for what you were doing, or anything like that.

My strategy was to tell the truth -- that I enjoyed parts of CS while I was in college, that some aspects of the job were interesting to me, but that overall I felt like I was missing something -- intimate human interaction, the knowledge that your work is greatly important to someone, the selfish and personal satisfaction of doing something so important and rewarding. I empahsized the fact that I didn't totally hate my job (and I didn't) by sharing a career moment of which I was very proud in my personal statement, and contrasting it to an experience I had while shadowing that underlined what was missing from my career and what I hoped to get out of being a physician. I could have said all of this very differently, but I bet I would have had very different results.

I'm glad people are reading this thread and getting something out of it. If I had stumbled on a collection of success stories like this earlier in my career, maybe my hair would be thicker in my class photo. :)

I hesitate to post this, but here goes:

42 in a Caribbean school MSII.

This has been harder than I imagine and I thought it would be "Fun" to go to medschool, in some ways it is and others it is not.

It is lonely in the Caribbean and the students are not of the "professional" level I thought would be in Medschool. Maybe I expected too much from the Caribbean being the "Second chance" place for Medschool.

I'm here for many reasons and still think it was a good road for me,

There are limitations going to a caribbean medical school, like residency programs, most are okay but some do not match FMG grads at all.

Highly competitive Residencies may be out of reach too.

For me I want to be a RURAL FP and already have things set up for me.

I'm lucky with that. ( I have 17yrs as an RN and good contacts to back me up from my past)

My advice is to stick it out, work hard and go to a US school if you can, but if things do not work out you can still be a Doctor, I will and happy with what I have done for the most part.

Good Luck to all and if you want to be a Doctor bad enough make it happen.:luck: