It's March-kill me now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Every time someone posts that they "got the call" from one of the schools I am waiting on, I look at my phone, see it is indeed still working, and that evil voice in my head says, "Of course it's working you idiot...the phone is useful, you are not."

The same thing happens when I check the mail everyday, but is even worse because I actually receive bills instead of good/no news.

Believe me, I feel you...Ive got 2 waitlists, and one decision coming March 15. Its really hard to talk to people about this, unless theyre experiencing it. My boyfriends like "relax, re-apply next year" RELAX? Helllllllloooo! Ive only been working toward this my entire life. Medicine is not a job, it's an enormous part of who I am. I feel like somebody stabbed my dreams, and now theyre bleeding out...and I cant save them BECAUSE I HAVENT GOTTEN INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL.

Okay, I think Im done with the melodrama. For a minute at least. I guess Ill return to obsessively checking my email, my voicemail, and the snail mail. The mailman probably thinks Im psychotic. Oh, well, at this point it's not far from the truth.

I just have to hold it together until 3/15 when I hear from VCU. Then I can have my mental breakdown, good news or bad. The only problem is that's right before finals...my last quarter of undergrad...and if I dont get in, those really need to be good grades. Problem is, if I dont get in, it's gonna be really hard to care about finals.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should never have applied this round. It was my first application cycle and I wasn't even planning on doing it but my advisor said if money isnt an issue just toss out some apps and see what happens. Now I got a couple of interviews and the false hope is killing my semester, its sapping my will to get any more A's.

I never should have applied. I should have waited till april 2007 like I had originally planned. Son of a bitch.

I had the same situation! I applied VERY LATE (OCTOBER!) because my advisor said that just wait till later and later and later..........(our school is small and very minimal experience with pre-med) and I regret applying this cycle! Trying to hold it together for waiting from Mayo MSTP...though ADCOM said 4 out of 6 are def. coming and 2 others are 50/50 and...Damn.......................looking at my phone very 10 seconds while eating anti-anxiety meds......can anyone recommend something else?;)

The doomsday tone of this thread is beautiful. Finally, some kindred souls. :thumbup: :D :mad:

Don't worry. I'm still waiting for an interview ... probably until next year. :(

i think this whole application thing, year of waiting, is just a test to see if you can stand the stress of med school/ life as a resident/physician... personally, i drove myself crazy in october, hopefully i'll regain some sanity when i get answers back from all my schools...guess it really is march madness...

I've had it. This cycle is dead to me. I'm gonna start studying for the MCAT. :mad:

I went out to dinner with all my friends tonight for my birthday. So everyone was asking me what happened with medical schools. I have never been an emotional person, but I had the choked up feeling where I wanted to cry before I had to say that once again, I didn't get in. At that point, in front of my friends who are all really successful in their fields did it hit me of how big a failure I am.

Hopefully, all of us are more fortunate in the coming months or next year.

Hang in there folks! (I always hate it when people say that , but oh well, lol)

I feel like the closer you are to that wonderful feeling of a first acceptance, especially when you have to face friends and loved ones who are pulling for you, the harder it gets. Just remember that this process can take a couple of tries to reach your dreams, and that one year of rejections doesn't reflect on you as that final physician you are working so had to become. If you truly want to become a physician, you will stick with it.

Good luck everyone, no matter what particular cycle you are in!
:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

I went out to dinner with all my friends tonight for my birthday. So everyone was asking me what happened with medical schools. I have never been an emotional person, but I had the choked up feeling where I wanted to cry before I had to say that once again, I didn't get in. At that point, in front of my friends who are all really successful in their fields did it hit me of how big a failure I am.

Tell me about it. I live with someone already in med school ( so I get to hear stories about all the cool stuff) and a very successful engineer who had companies in a war over who would get her. I actually told all but about 3 friends, and my parents thatI was applying next year (probablynot a lie, it'll just be re-applying), just to avoid the questions. But I'm finding out that I'm not quite as anonymous as I thought here on SDN... :oops:

Happy Birthday, DVN. Just have one big, psychotic break in front of all your friends, and they'll stop asking questions.

April is the cruelest month

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my 1st interview invite to NYMC yesterday.

Believe me, I feel you...Ive got 2 waitlists, and one decision coming March 15. Its really hard to talk to people about this, unless theyre experiencing it. My boyfriends like "relax, re-apply next year" RELAX? Helllllllloooo! Ive only been working toward this my entire life. Medicine is not a job, it's an enormous part of who I am. I feel like somebody stabbed my dreams, and now theyre bleeding out...and I cant save them BECAUSE I HAVENT GOTTEN INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL.

Okay, I think Im done with the melodrama. For a minute at least. I guess Ill return to obsessively checking my email, my voicemail, and the snail mail. The mailman probably thinks Im psychotic. Oh, well, at this point it's not far from the truth.

I just have to hold it together until 3/15 when I hear from VCU. Then I can have my mental breakdown, good news or bad. The only problem is that's right before finals...my last quarter of undergrad...and if I dont get in, those really need to be good grades. Problem is, if I dont get in, it's gonna be really hard to care about finals.

Good luck everyone!

Yeah, I totally feel ya.. All of my friends are like.. you're still young you can apply next year and they tell me to stop bitching, but then, they have no idea what it is to have your hopes torn to pieces together with your money and your feelings, dreams, sanity, motivations... Med school is the meaning of my life.. I feel like there is no more meaning and there is nothing there to wake up in the morning to. I feel like such a failure, I've sacrifized so much for this, relationships, friendships, time, energy, time when everyone else was at a crazy party and i had to stay and study for anatomy! It's like I've tossed all of my eggs in one basket and now it is falling through and I have nothing left!

And yeah, life sucks and that lends itself to melodramatic outbursts of literary, musical, artistic creativity. That's why so many famous artists have bipolar disorder or depression...

I just got my 1st interview invite to NYMC yesterday.

congrats! although march is a time when people are tired of waiting, I think the great thing about interviewing late is minimal waiting time (im in the same 'late interviewing' boat =)

Good luck everyone!

i have one waitlist and im waiting for VCU/MCV in two weeks too. good luck! and i agree on the no re-applying thing. it's too depressing to think about that right now, especially cause its a lot of work and $$. i am temporarily unemployed, so i have 24 hours a day to think about my lack of acceptances... use school to distract yourself (if possible)!

I'm having this realization as well. Ohhh MY GOD! MCATs=worst enemy. And now the test is computer-based. Maybe better since it's shorter and there are more test dates.

I'm glad I'm not the only obsessive email, mail, phone call checker here. I probably check my email at least 5 times a day.

I'm having this realization as well. Ohhh MY GOD! MCATs=worst enemy. And now the test is computer-based. Maybe better since it's shorter and there are more test dates.

I'm glad I'm not the only obsessive email, mail, phone call checker here. I probably check my email at least 5 times a day.

I had my email account forward any emails with the words, "medicine" or "medical". Now I am free from my mail but still bound to my phone.

it's march madness...i received my first interview with Loma Linda last week. And no interviews in the pipeline.

I'm there with anyone who is retaking! i have a 13B/10PS/8V. Verbal kills me.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum ("Don't Let The Bastards Grind You Down")

Thanks for making my day with that quotation! :) I had read it off of The Handmaid's Tale but it completely escaped my mind up until now. For all the SDNer's currently in the cycle, good luck and don't give up! As a lowly, naive premed who has not gone through the cycle yet (but should be studying for her ochem midterm) you all are my heroes. :D

I understand that the schools want to take their time and give each student consideration (giving the schools the benefit of the doubt) but waiting is incredibly difficult and since it is March and I will most likely be getting a rejection today (with no acceptances yet) I must cry . . . .

it seems as though all schools were just holding onto rejection letters until march arrived. march is not my favorite month...

So March just got much worse for me. My baby has a cyst and his Dr prescribed antibiotics, which made him vomit violently for 2 hours last night. All I could do was hold him while he puked all over us both. It was crappy, I am pretty sure I cried more than he did. Now the Dr prescribed a new med, but if it doesn't work he'll need surgery. Sucks.

Oh, and I am so tired from being up all night that I just put on 2 watches.

Sorry for the venting.

So March just got much worse for me. My baby has a cyst and his Dr prescribed antibiotics, which made him vomit violently for 2 hours last night. All I could do was hold him while he puked all over us both. It was crappy, I am pretty sure I cried more than he did. Now the Dr prescribed a new med, but if it doesn't work he'll need surgery. Sucks.

Sorry for the venting.

That bites big time. Hope your baby feels better soon.

Aww I hope your baby gets better. Life has it's ups and downs. You just have to hold on for the ride

Sorry for the venting.

:(

Internal smiling for making people bicker and flame. Internal satisfaction for knowing you're at the top of a short list of awesome applicants that have these sorts of dilemmas. Sugarcoating the soul with self-indulgence awesomeness.

I have to side somewhat with Caramel on the vs. threads. Over the past month there have been over 5 Wayne State versus Michigan State CHM threads alone. What makes these threads any less insufferable? I will concede, that I believe these vs. threads should be started either in allo or school specific allo threads, as there's not a whole lot the pre-meds will add (whereas current students will have some good insight). I think they could indeed be thinly veiled attempts at bragging. The completely un-veiled attempts at bragging, however, are when people list their acceptances in their sig. :barf:

I interviewed at NYMC on 12/12 and they said they'd respond in 8-12 weeks... its been 12 weeks and 2 days... they're driving me CRAZY...

I've received 7 (post-secondary) rejections in march... Plus I'm gonna be a year older this month... if it's not 16, 18, or 21 it's just not worth it... march sucks...

My intention was not to brag with my sig, or make anyone else feel badly.. I was just hoping that people who see it and have some insight on SLU would let me know since i've never been there... i was also hoping some future classmates would contact me, never too early to start making study groups! :D

gL to you all :luck:

My intention was not to brag with my sig, or make anyone else feel badly.. I was just hoping that people who see it and have some insight on SLU would let me know since i've never been there... i was also hoping some future classmates would contact me, never too early to start making study groups! :D

gL to you all :luck:

I think that's why a lot of people do that. I don't really see how it's bragging since it's kinda like the entire point of being here...to get in somewhere. It's not like you're setting yourself apart from the entire SDN population by getting accepted. Yeah, we're all in different phases of the journey but such is life. I have ZERO acceptances and I still like to see where people are going because you can sometimes ask them questions, etc., if it's a school you're interested in. Especially since not all questions are thread worthy. I dunno, that's just my take on the whole "c/o" sig thing. :oops:

I think that's why a lot of people do that. I don't really see how it's bragging since it's kinda like the entire point of being here...to get in somewhere. It's not like you're setting yourself apart from the entire SDN population by getting accepted. Yeah, we're all in different phases of the journey but such is life. I have ZERO acceptances and I still like to see where people are going because you can sometimes ask them questions, etc., if it's a school you're interested in. Especially since not all questions are thread worthy. I dunno, that's just my take on the whole "c/o" sig thing. :oops:

That's what mdapplicants or posting on school specific threads are for. They give people the option of looking into your accepted schools. The problem with sig anouncements is its like walking around with a T-shirt that says "I got accepted to X medical school!" I only know of a few people who would actually do that...

And name one person who's PMed you about a school because of your sig...

That's what mdapplicants or posting on school specific threads are for. They give people the option of looking into your accepted schools. The problem with sig anouncements is its like walking around with a T-shirt that says "I got accepted to X medical school!" I only know of a few people who would actually do that...

I don't have a sig. Zero acceptances, remember? But I've actually pm'd someone to ask about their school (Penn State). I see what you're saying. I guess I just don't see anything wrong with it as long as it's not followed by the bird gesture or something. Shrugs. :D

I don't have a sig. Zero acceptances, remember? But I've actually pm'd someone to ask about their school (Penn State). I see what you're saying. I guess I just don't see anything wrong with it as long as it's not followed by the bird gesture or something. Shrugs. :D

I was referring to Princezz. Was the Penn State student a c/o 2011 or an actual current student? So then why is a "Duke c/o 2011 or WashU c/o 2011 or UCSF c/o 2011 or ??? c/o 2011" sig any less offensive than a "Should I go to Duke, WashU, or UCSF" thread?

I was referring to Princezz. Was the Penn State student a c/o 2011 or an actual current student? So then why is a "Duke c/o 2011 or WashU c/o 2011 or UCSF c/o 2011 or ??? c/o 2011" sig any less offensive than a "Should I go to Duke, WashU, or UCSF" thread?

Maybe it's because I have two tests tomorrow, or because I haven't received any acceptances yet, but I'm starting to feel a bit bitter, so take this with a grain of salt. My view on it is that if it's in your signature that's fine. Some people may say you're bragging, but, whatever. But devoting an entire thread to yourself and your decision on multiple acceptances seems a little more self-centered. Just my opinion.

I hear ya, I hear ya. :) Okay, the multi-c/o sigs are a bit much...but I still like to see where people are going. It's neat to see people make it in and to see where they're going--kinda fun. Shrugs. I guess I'm a little too nosy and even more lazy. ;)

while I can see how starting those vs threads is viewed as bragging, i also agree with Nomemory, don't see a prob with having it in a sig. some people have been working at this for years and are just really proud that they finally got in. seems a bit judgemental to knock people for doing it. and the difference b/w this and starting a vs thread is that those who are starting those threads are literally saying "hey everyone, start talking about my acceptances," while sigs are just fyi. imo sigs aren't much different from mdapps. while mdapps gives people the option of looking, how many people actually pass that up?

while I can see how starting those vs threads is viewed as bragging, i also agree with Nomemory, don't see a prob with having it in a sig. some people have been working at this for years and are just really proud that they finally got in. seems a bit judgemental to knock people for doing it. and the difference b/w this and starting a vs thread is that those who are starting those threads are literally saying "hey everyone, start talking about my acceptances," while sigs are just fyi. imo sigs aren't much different from mdapps. while mdapps gives people the option of looking, how many people actually pass that up?

But the key difference is that an mdapps profile requires someone to click on a link, which means they're interested in someones application success or failure. When it's in one's signature, it's not optional, but a proclamation to all who come accross your post (see previous tshirt analogy).

But the key difference is that an mdapps profile requires someone to click on a link, which means they're interested in someones application success or failure. When it's in one's signature, it's not optional, but a proclamation to all who come accross your post (see previous tshirt analogy).

well, basically everyone who take the time to get onto sdn and view the threads demonstrates some sort of interest in other applicants' progress right? doesn't seem like too much of a difference, and i happen to think both sigs and mdapps are useful. people are proud of their achievements and have different ways of showing it, meh

(but i do see your point about duke c/o 2011 or ucsf c/o 2011 or harvard or whatever, ok, overboard)

I have to side somewhat with Caramel on the vs. threads. Over the past month there have been over 5 Wayne State versus Michigan State CHM threads alone. What makes these threads any less insufferable? I will concede, that I believe these vs. threads should be started either in allo or school specific allo threads, as there's not a whole lot the pre-meds will add (whereas current students will have some good insight). I think they could indeed be thinly veiled attempts at bragging. The completely un-veiled attempts at bragging, however, are when people list their acceptances in their sig. :barf:

comparison threads are different.

I was specifically referring to the vanderbilt full-ride vs ucsf thread. thats a complete brag-fest since 1) the OP had already informally polled SDN on what he should do and had a Vandy by a landslide response 2) re-made a thread specifically as a poll just so he can see the Vandy by a landslide response statistically days later.

Honestly, he's not going to get any insight on either of the schools from anyone posting on SDN. he knows both schools are awesome. he already knows he's in a sweet position and only he can make that decision because it depends on his unique 1) financial situation 2) family situation 3) preferences for where to live, etc etc etc.

everyone agrees that ucsf is a better school than vandy (almost everyone, not to bash vandy but come on its ucsf). its up to the OP to decide how much $$$ that better school is worth. That only depends on his subjective reality. Not anyone elses.

I just think its funny how everyone on the threads gets so riled up when someone says School X is better than School Y based largely on rankings. People argue to the death that every medical school has all of the same opportunities, can get you the same place, its all about board scores, etc. Now, what would happen to me if I started a "UPenn vs. Penn State- where should I go???" thread honestly feeling like all of the above is true? Undoubtedly I would be flamed beyond belief and labeled as a troll for the rest of my SDN existence. I just feel all too often people on SDN are simply inconsistent with their opinions.

I just think its funny how everyone on the threads gets so riled up when someone says School X is better than School Y based largely on rankings. People argue to the death that every medical school has all of the same opportunities, can get you the same place, its all about board scores, etc. Now, what would happen to me if I started a "UPenn vs. Penn State- where should I go???" thread honestly feeling like all of the above is true? Undoubtedly I would be flamed beyond belief and labeled as a troll for the rest of my SDN existence. I just feel all too often people on SDN are simply inconsistent with their opinions.

:laugh: :thumbup:

All schools are not created equal. Anyone who is telling you that is lying. That is why there is a cost difference between state schools and elite private schools. People pay more to go to these more reputable schools. There is no way in hell people are dishing out all these extra dollars just JUST for name recognition. Would be a huge conspiracy right?

Penn has a lot of unique oppurtunities in global health, a modified 1.5 yr program, an integrated virtual curiculuum, affiliated schools for dual degrees, huge oppurtunity to pursue research, etc. All schools are not created equal. I agree with you that many people are hypocritical when it comes to their opinions on schools. it is true that you can go anywhere and land a sweet residency. it is not true that the ease of landing a sweet residency is the same regardless of where you go.

Well, SDN has some modicum of anonymity while wearing a T-shirt would be advertising, which is not my intention.

The ??? indicate that I’m not 100% sure because I’m still waiting to hear back from a couple schools.

I’ve had 3 different people PM me. One was someone else who interviewed at SLU and gave me some insight into the school, since I have yet to visit the school. Another was someone who simply wanted to congratulate me. And the third was a St. Louis resident who appeased me a bit, after I mentioned my concern regarding St. Louis’s status as the most dangerous city..

Thanks for taking such an interest in me! :D

Sorry HumbleMD, i didn't mean to be rude or anything... just kinda on edge since everyone on SDN seems to be so rude lately

Good Luck to you :luck:

Well...I took the August MCAT...applied late...complete in December and my August MCAT score was

29R (with a 6 in VR :oops: )

I have 3 interviews in March and sometimes I get really sad, thinking about how verbal really shut me out.

But, regardless, I will keep my chin up till the end. I hope you all do too!

Yeah, I totally feel ya.. All of my friends are like.. you're still young you can apply next year and they tell me to stop bitching, but then, they have no idea what it is to have your hopes torn to pieces together with your money and your feelings, dreams, sanity, motivations... Med school is the meaning of my life.. I feel like there is no more meaning and there is nothing there to wake up in the morning to. I feel like such a failure, I've sacrifized so much for this, relationships, friendships, time, energy, time when everyone else was at a crazy party and i had to stay and study for anatomy! It's like I've tossed all of my eggs in one basket and now it is falling through and I have nothing left!

And yeah, life sucks and that lends itself to melodramatic outbursts of literary, musical, artistic creativity. That's why so many famous artists have bipolar disorder or depression...

Medical school should never be the meaning of your life. A career should never define your life. Volunteer, travel, go out, just take a break from the medical school grind. I am not trivalizing what you are going through. However you need to know that you are not a failure and that if you don't get in this cycle, you can apply again.

I swear- you and I must be living a double life. I did the SAME THING. No big surprise, I sent my very best friends and parents an email the following Monday to tell them, no matter how supportive they are and how much I love them, if they ask me one more time if I have news, I will have to ignore them until May. Of course, then, my boss who wrote me a letter asks me first thing on Monday if I have news, and then I just cry at work (and I am NOT a crier). For an otherwise normally happy person, I hate feeling so, well, depressed:( No matter how many times I try to justify this experience as "it will make me stronger in medical school", or it will teach me some valuable lesson, I'm like, okay, I get it, lesson learned, I'm humbled, I'll definitely appreciate it, now let's move on- time for an acceptance. As we face another day of "here we go again", I'll be thinkin of you wishing you an acceptance and happier spirits. Big hugs~