It's that time again !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med-Man84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings SDN'ers,

It's time for another hysterical "BAIL-ME-OUT" thread. Only this time with a twist. The poster happens to be 'deliriously optimistic' about what the future holds as well as getting into Med School. I'd aprreciate all comments(Feel free to vent) and answers to my Q's. Thanks.

My Situation: Start off at a nationally ranked 4-year state school. Go on a ambitious 20 credit per semester campaign. After two semesters, I manage to pass one class(Sociology 101 with a A :cool: ). The rest of my transcript is riddled with F's and W's. I'm not one to make excuses when I failed spectacularly, make that magnificently. The ball drops, you keep it moving. One important note: I'm fully convinced that it's not a question of ability but that of application(discipline, time management) How so ? I got a 1330 on my SATs which in turn certifies me as a boy wonder genius( Ok, that was a joke, please laugh, or at least grimace).

It gets even better.

Deciding that my GPA is beyond-all-hope,(thanks to the numerious F's and W's that will stay put on my transcript even if I retake it and ace them classes), I enroll at the local CC determined to make a fresh start. 20 credit hour a semester continues for two more semesters. Yup. Manage to fail ALL classes this time except for, you guessed it right: Sociology 101. With an A. :cool: .

That was last year. Which brings us to this semester. Somehow(don't ask, won't tell) I got into a top 20 4 year state university whereupon closely analysing the pattern of the past 5 semesters, I decide to drastically cut my course load and hence minimize it to a manageable 18 credit hours.

My Questions:

1) Is there anyway any Med school ADCOM can find out about my fantastical academic record ? Besides one of you snitching on me that is. All jokes aside, I know they ask for transcripts of ALL schools attended. What if I get a convenient case of short-term memory loss about that stellar era ? I mean, do they have a P.Eye branch that investigates such an issue. I applied as a first time student to both this school I'm in right now as well as the CC, and got in with a clean slate transcript. Is Med School any different ? Can they find out about a transcript that my current school doesn't even know exists ?.

2) If the answer to the above question is: Nope, They can't find out. Is there any reason why I can't get into Med School ? Any hindrance ? Starting off fresh this semester with a clean transcript It goes without saying that my academic record this time around would have to be 3.5+ GPA and a 30+ MCAT to be considered competitive.

As you can see, i haven't offered an explanation/excuse for my wonderous grades. I could tell you that I was working crazy overtime hours(which is true) but it'd be irelavant. No Whining ! Git-Er-Done ! Make it Happen.

Thanks again, looking forward to your comments and a productive membership on SDN. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Med-Man84 said:
Greetings SDN'ers,

It's time for another hysterical "BAIL-ME-OUT" thread. Only this time with a twist. The poster happens to be 'deliriously optimistic' about what the future holds as well as getting into Med School. I'd aprreciate all comments(Feel free to vent) and answers to my Q's. Thanks.

My Situation: Start off at a nationally ranked 4-year state school. Go on a ambitious 20 credit per semester campaign. After two semesters, I manage to pass one class(Sociology 101 with a A :cool: ). The rest of my transcript is riddled with F's and W's. I'm not one to make excuses when I failed spectacularly, make that magnificently. The ball drops, you keep it moving. One important note: I'm fully convinced that it's not a question of ability but that of application(discipline, time management) How so ? I got a 1330 on my SATs which in turn certifies me as a boy wonder genius( Ok, that was a joke, please laugh, or at least grimace).

It gets even better.

Deciding that my GPA is beyond-all-hope,(thanks to the numerious F's and W's that will stay put on my transcript even if I retake it and ace them classes), I enroll at the local CC determined to make a fresh start. 20 credit hour a semester continues for two more semesters. Yup. Manage to fail ALL classes this time except for, you guessed it right: Sociology 101. With an A. :cool: .

That was last year. Which brings us to this semester. Somehow(don't ask, won't tell) I got into a top 20 4 year state university whereupon closely analysing the pattern of the past 5 semesters, I decide to drastically cut my course load and hence minimize it to a manageable 18 credit hours.

My Questions:

1) Is there anyway any Med school ADCOM can find out about my fantastical academic record ? Besides one of you snitching on me that is. All jokes aside, I know they ask for transcripts of ALL schools attended. What if I get a convenient case of short-term memory loss about that stellar era ? I mean, do they have a P.Eye branch that investigates such an issue. I applied as a first time student to both this school I'm in right now as well as the CC, and got in with a clean slate transcript. Is Med School any different ? Can they find out about a transcript that my current school doesn't even know exists ?.

2) If the answer to the above question is: Nope, They can't find out. Is there any reason why I can't get into Med School ? Any hindrance ? Starting off fresh this semester with a clean transcript It goes without saying that my academic record this time around would have to be 3.5+ GPA and a 30+ MCAT to be considered competitive.

As you can see, i haven't offered an explanation/excuse for my wonderous grades. I could tell you that I was working crazy overtime hours(which is true) but it'd be irelavant. No Whining ! Git-Er-Done ! Make it Happen.

Thanks again, looking forward to your comments and a productive membership on SDN. :thumbup:

your're fvcked. see you in the afterlife.

oh and the answer for question 1 is yes. when you apply, amcas requires you to list every single class you've ever taken.

it. said:
your're fvcked. see you in the afterlife.

oh and the answer for question 1 is yes. when you apply, amcas requires you to list every single class you've ever taken.

You gotta learn how to read better. I know that. My question was how will they find out and can they. Atta'Boy

Members don't see this ad :)
now for the jolly news. bust your ass...realistically. it's obvious that it's time for a change in game plan. show improvement in your grades. where there is a will, there is a way.

Med-Man84 said:
Greetings SDN'ers,

It gets even better.

My Questions:

Are you serious? :rolleyes:

If so, then please don't apply to med. school! Or if you do, you need to grow up and get a serious personality facelift first. I wouldn't want a doctor who tells lies to promote his/her own career. I don't know if adcom's check or not, but if they do they will prob. ask about your experiences between HS and your college. And you better be prepared to get caught in a web of lies.

Med. School is not the prize to some game. It requires a lot of HARD WORK and HONESTY. Two traits you currently lack.

So, get your act together and ace the rest of your college. Be honest when you fill out your app's and maybe an adcom will be impressed with your sense of "improvement."

Med-Man84 said:
You gotta learn how to read better. I know that. My question was how will they find out and can they. Atta'Boy

woops, my bad for not reading the whole thing through...in any case, don't try to be slick. it'll come back and bite you in the ass.

lizanne11 said:
Are you serious? :rolleyes:

If so, then please don't apply to med. school! Or if you do, you need to grow up and get a serious personality facelift first. I wouldn't want a doctor who tells lies to promote his/her own career. I don't know if adcom's check or not, but if they do they will prob. ask about your experiences between HS and your college. And you better be prepared to get caught in a web of lies.

Med. School is not the prize to some game. It requires a lot of HARD WORK and HONESTY. Two traits you currently lack.

So, get your act together and ace the rest of your college. Be honest when you fill out your app's and maybe an adcom will be impressed with your sense of "improvement."

^^ That's the straight-forward no-nonsense response I was looking forward to. Thanks.

Now if I may touch on a few points you mentioned:

a) I hope you do agree with me that it is categorically impossible to get into Medical School with 5 semesters worth of F's and W's ? Even if I churn a steady set of A's here on forth, they'll be off-setted by those earlier grades. So pinning my hopes on a 'sense of improvement' isn't really realistic, is it now

b) You're telling me with a straight face that you woud admit something that would damage your chances at your dream career. For example, when asked about your 3 weakness you'd list them in ranking order. Please. There's idealistic and than there's that.

Ethically, I'm not harming anybody by not disclosing those transcripts. Not my future patients, not the medical school, not myself. If I prove myself in the coming 3-4 years and excel on all fronts, why would I want to dig up those transcripts and present it to the Adcom ?

Lastly, Sorry to say but the road to Medical School is a game. It shouldn't be that way but it is. If it was based solely on merit and sincerity, Kaplan and Princeton would be non-existent today.

P.S. I plead guilty to the lack of hard work. That said, it can be remedied. School of Hard Knocks, see

it. said:
woops, my bad for not reading the whole thing through...in any case, don't try to be slick. it'll come back and bite you in the ass.
no problem, Could you explain how the bitin'-in-the-ass procedure would take place. Just curious.

Med-Man84 said:
^^ That's the straight-forward no-nonsense response I was looking forward to. Thanks.

Now if I may touch on a few points you mentioned:

a) I hope you do agree with me that it is categorically impossible to get into Medical School with 5 semesters worth of F's and W's ? Even if I churn a steady set of A's here on forth, they'll be off-setted by those earlier grades. So pinning my hopes on a 'sense of improvement' isn't really realistic, is it now

b) You're telling me with a straight face that you woud admit something that would damage your chances at your dream career. For example, when asked about your 3 weakness you'd list them in ranking order. Please. There's idealistic and than there's that.

Ethically, I'm not harming anybody by not disclosing those transcripts. Not my future patients, not the medical school, not myself. If I prove myself in the coming 3-4 years and excel on all fronts, why would I want to dig up those transcripts and present it to the Adcom ?

Lastly, Sorry to say but the road to Medical School is a game. It shouldn't be that way but it is. If it was based solely on merit and sincerity, Kaplan and Princeton would be non-existent today.

P.S. I plead guilty to the lack of hard work. That said, it can be remedied. School of Hard Knocks, see
Hi,

Good job (twice) on Soc 101, by the way.

Here's my honest assessment, for what it's worth:

a) Yes, it's still possible, though not probable, to make up for those bad previous semesters. There are people on SDN who have done just that, getting into med school with 2.XX gpa because they didn't take their first years seriously, but dished it out in upper-division, postbac, grad work or whatever. Of course, their MCATs were >95 percentile.

b) You are probably not hurting anyone per se, save for the individual whose spot you took. Sure, med school admissions is a game, but there's a line between playing the game and trying to cheat it. Of course, they may find out when you are four years into med school, and kick you out. That'd be quite the loan debt to deal with.

But even that is a long ways off. I suggest you put this ethical dilemma aside for now and focus on getting A's in your science prereqs. A satisfactory SAT score means jack sh1t. You need to put in the hours to be worth something in this Game. You need to have the work ethic, and not to rely on your (perceived) natural ability.

With that, I do wish you the best. Good luck in your fresh start.

Your post is very suspicious to me.

If your post is true:
You're a ******* for not realizing what worked and what didnt.
Took 20 credit hours twice?
You got what you deserved. Crap in makes crap out!
Assuming you have average intelligence, you will do reasonably well in those core classes, if you do it right. However, the MCAT will probably be a huge hurdle for you but anything can happen.
Sounds like you're fvcked but you might be one of those non-trads who get in after 10 yrs of trying. If I were you, I'd examine my motivations again and not be so stupid to make the same mistakes for a third time!

If your post is a fabrication:
You are a troll! Damn losers like stirring up crap here just to see what the "smart" pre-meds say. And eventually they fight amongst themselves and theres a big bruhaha over nothing. Been there done that. Ugh.

Jon Davis said:
You're a ******* for not realizing what worked and what didnt.
Took 20 credit hours twice?
You got what you deserved. Crap in makes crap out!
Assuming you have average intelligence, you will do reasonably well in those core classes, if you do it right. However, the MCAT will probably be a huge hurdle for you but anything can happen.
Sounds like you're fvcked but you might be one of those non-trads who get in after 10 yrs of trying. If I were you, I'd examine my motivations again and not be so stupid to make the same mistakes for a third time!

But I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle- victorious.
Vince Lombardi

Guess Ol' Lombardi was describing Med-Man to the dot. Thanks for providing the quote.

That said, MCAT, huge hurdle say you ? It's all relative I guess.

Rap this( or at least chant, if you can't rap): "this ain't no tall order, this is nothin to me
difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week" Courtesy of Kanye West.

NapesSpikes,

Spot on assessment. That last paragraph was real. Gracias.

Hmmm, on second thought, maybe the OP is a troll, or in the least, too confident for one's own good. I don't think any person who flunked out of community college should underestimate the mcat or the rigours of premed sciences, for that matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Med-Man84 said:
Guess Ol' Lombardi was describing Med-Man to the dot. Thanks for providing the quote.

That said, MCAT, huge hurdle say you ? It's all relative I guess.

Rap this( or at least chant, if you can't rap): "this ain't no tall order, this is nothin to me
difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week" Courtesy of Kanye West.

All the quotes in the world aint gonna sway the adcomms to let you in. Change your strategy or fail again the way you did twice. This is the last post I'm making on this thread.

NapeSpikes said:
Hmmm, on second thought, maybe the OP is a troll, or in the least, too confident for one's own good. I don't think any person who flunked out of community college should underestimate the mcat or the rigours of premed sciences, for that matter.

I assure you I am no unsightly troll with too much time on his hands. But you're free to be an ass-uming person.

P.S You'll find precious little difference in terms of rigour and grading between a Bio 101 at a CC(or at least the one I went to) and a regular 4 year. And to be accurate, I didn't flunk out as much as give up. Again, not a matter of ability but application

Again, troll or not, perhaps too confident for one's own good.

And again, troll or not, good luck to you. Damn, it's late--time for bed...

I know it's tempting to accidently "forget' about your previous college career, but it is highly unadvisable. Every medical school graduate goes through a background check when applying for a medical license. If you took any loans to pay for the first year of school, be aware that you WILL be caught by the medical licensing board, who will refuse to grant you a license because you lied on your medical school application. Even if you didn't take loans, there are still other avenues for your previous schooling to be discovered. So four years and $$$$$ down the drain... Not worth it. Sack up, be honest, get a 3.7+ for the rest of undergrad, and you'll get into medical school :thumbup:

SanDiegoSOD said:
I know it's tempting to accidently "forget' about your previous college career, but it is highly unadvisable. Every medical school graduate goes through a background check when applying for a medical license. If you took any loans to pay for the first year of school, be aware that you WILL be caught by the medical licensing board, who will refuse to grant you a license because you lied on your medical school application. Even if you didn't take loans, there are still other avenues for your previous schooling to be discovered. So four years and $$$$$ down the drain... Not worth it. Sack up, be honest, get a 3.7+ for the rest of undergrad, and you'll get into medical school :thumbup:

Thanks for the insight. No, I've been paying out of pocket for those 2 years. (hence all the crazy work hours). Does that make a difference ?

Ok, as for hiding your poor academic past, these are some of the tools the Adcoms will have and will use to make sure you've told the truth:

The discrepancy in your age: obviously you had a gap between high school and "reported" college, what happened in the middle?

Your social security number, and everything it's tied to.

Possibly your driver's license, passport, birth certificate, and fingerprint.

And, if you do sneak by and get into med school, all it takes is one person from your first school to notice you or something like that to initiate an investigation leads to your expulsion or revokation of your license.

Your optimism is good, and something you will definitely need for you to overcome the obstacles in your way. So you got that going for you.

Now, for the things against you. You have a crapload of Fs and Ws. As previous posters have mentioned, med schools WILL find out about this, one way or the other, whether while you apply, or afterwards, and they give you the boot. The alternative is to get your rear in gear and demolish the rest of your grades. Adcoms recognize that not everybody's perfect, so they look for a pattern of improvement and learning from mistakes.

It brings up a larger question that you need to answer for yourself, however. How badly and why do YOU want to go to medical school, and can YOU cut it? You haven't mentioned any motivations or clinical experience, so if you haven't thought about either of those, now is the time to start.

Also, realistically ask yourself if you can make it. You've had 2 consecutive bad years, and if nothing drastic has changed, what makes you think you can suddenly be a fantastic student? Your SAT score is good, but not spectacular, but the SAT only test up through 10th-grade material, anyway. You have to change something: quit your job to focus full-time on academics, change your study habits, motivations, etc.

If you don't have any clinical experience telling you you want to be a doctor, you aren't academically capable of being a doctor, and aren't motivated enough to be a doctor, maybe you shouldn't be a doctor. If it doens't look like a duck, walk like a duck, or sound like a duck, it's probably not a duck.

Best of luck.

i'm just adding in my 2 cents without having read other people's responses. but i think that you can get away with not turning in all your transcripts. I went to a CC while I was still in high school, took like 20+ hours (got all As), but didn't transfer any to my college and started fresh. I'm applying now without sending them my CC's transcript and i guess nothing happen thus far. Good luck in all your future pursuits.

Med-Man84 said:

Imagine you went through med school and residency (and amasse a certain debt) and one day somebody from your old university becomes a patient of yours. If that person remembers you, might they not be suspicious how you managed to become a doctor? Imagine a disgruntled patient hires that P.Eye for a malpractice suit and he finds out.
There are plenty of scenarios how they could find out and if it happens after med school and residency you have some nice debt in addition to no degree.

I think you are the only one who can decide whether that risk is appropriate for you.

forevalwayzz said:
I went to a CC while I was still in high school, took like 20+ hours (got all As), but didn't transfer any to my college and started fresh. I'm applying now without sending them my CC's transcript and i guess nothing happen thus far. Good luck in all your future pursuits.

uhm, why would you risk your career by not disclosing all your transcripts, if you got all As anyway? I don't get it.

Uhm - Am I the only one on here wondering how this person got into a state university? Which state accepts people with a track record like this? To the OP, I would bank on planning to do a post-bacc or some grad school work to show that you can hang with the big boys. I would also plan on full disclosure. Being half way in med. school, and then being booted because of dishonesty would suck.

>95% of premeds who will eventually make it into medschool are smart enough to at least get a C in ANY 100 level class, even 5-6 simultaneously, without actually attending the class or reading any of the materials, just by showing up for tests only. Either you are not smart enough to do this, or you are not smart enough to at least show up for the tests. Working full-time+ is no excuse, plenty of us have done this. Either way, you are not smart enough to become a doctor. Sorry.

Either that or you are full of ****.

And yes, any dope with your name and SSN can find out EVERY bit of post secondary you have done.

I"m kind of surprised that no one has mentioned this yet, maybe it's b/c were in the pre allo forum, but DO schools will replace repeat courses with the new grades. So even though the schools would still see all the F's and W's, starting at this new school will be like a clean slate for your GPA (assuming you reapeat all the same courses you failed/withdrew from). so you could still apply in 4 years with 3.5-4.0 GPA and a good MCAT. Like everyone else has said, you have a long road ahead if you really want to get into medicine, but it's possible if you research your options and "play the game" wisely, which you have not done thus far.

hmm- any school that you went to reports any other schools they know you went to - soooo- if you send one transcript and that schools knows about your past now the med schools will too

plus lying is a great way to get yourself kicked out

so be honest and talk about your improvement and new focus as a positive

Med-Man84 said:
Greetings SDN'ers,

It gets even better.

My Questions:

First, you realize that you need to get serious at this point.

I would simply start over if I were you. I don't see an upside to disclosing your past academic failures. Could you? Sure, you could. But, is there ANY upside? No.

So, start over at the new school, write the past year off entirely (you have no choice anyway), and don't listen to all of the goody two shoes that will tell you otherwise.

You need to seriously kick a$$ from here on out. And it's your choice whether to allow one year's worth of mistakes at the ripe old age of 18 or 19 years old to effect your future.

This MUST disclose stuff is BS. Recognize the mistake, and move on. Bury that year, and start over.

Indryd said:
>95% of premeds who will eventually make it into medschool are smart enough to at least get a C in ANY 100 level class, even 5-6 simultaneously, without actually attending the class or reading any of the materials, just by showing up for tests only. Either you are not smart enough to do this, or you are not smart enough to at least show up for the tests. Working full-time+ is no excuse, plenty of us have done this. Either way, you are not smart enough to become a doctor. Sorry.

Either that or you are full of ****.

And yes, any dope with your name and SSN can find out EVERY bit of post secondary you have done.

HAHAAHHAAAAHHAAHHAAAHAA! :laugh:

Dude, go into sociology. It's a calling.

dajimmers said:
HAHAAHHAAAAHHAAHHAAAHAA! :laugh:

Dude, go into sociology. It's a calling.

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention that.

Anyways, to the OP, rather than lying about going to school that first year and hiding your transcripts, why don't you just start over, get a high GPA, score high on your MCAT, apply, then when you get to your interview, make up some BS sob story about what screwed you up that year. You don't sound to honest in the first place, so I don't see why you you would have a problem taking this route...chances would be better than adcoms finding out about your past academic history from another source.

Either way the adcoms will see through your bull**** and you won't get in.

And...if I recall correctly, they check for criminal background to be sure you didn't lie, why wouldn't they check your academic background to make sure you didn't lie (please...correct me if I'm wrong, which I very well could be...)

Med-Man84 said:
no problem, Could you explain how the bitin'-in-the-ass procedure would take place. Just curious.

i mainly think you can't pull it off. you say you failed a ****load of classes? i'm guessin that if you couldn't bs your way through those classes, either by cheating, kissing ass, whatever, you probably won't effectively bs your way through apps and interviews, particularly when having to explain your educational gap due to your "memory loss"

Med-Man84 said:
I assure you I am no unsightly troll with too much time on his hands. But you're free to be an ass-uming person.

P.S You'll find precious little difference in terms of rigour and grading between a Bio 101 at a CC(or at least the one I went to) and a regular 4 year. And to be accurate, I didn't flunk out as much as give up. Again, not a matter of ability but application

Ahhh, but organization, common sense and motivation are key components to ability... In fact, I would say that these characteristics are more important than straight book smarts. It's a lot harder to teach self-control than it is to teach facts.
When I graduated from HS, several of my friends who scored way higher than you on the SAT (1500s) went to college expecting to just glide through. Guess what? They all dropped out by their second year and still haven't been able to make it back.

Okay...I'll start off by saying I think this person is a troll. But I'll give my $.02 anyway. So, can you not report your past academic history to AMCAS? Of course you can. There's no single database that they can easily check to see if you're submitting all your academic transcripts. The question you should be asking yourself: is that a risk you're willing to take? In your current situation, whatever you do is risky--be honest and probably get written off by a lot of schools, or lie and hope that you don't get caught. And while there is no magical database to check, as others have pointed out it is really not that difficult to check someone's background using name and SS#, and any number of searches that the school, licensing board, etc. might perform could turn up such info. Furthermore, as has also been pointed out, all it takes is one curious former classmate to blow your cover. Over the course of the admissions process, four years of medical school, and residency following, and all the intervening background checks that are done, I would say the possiblity of your omission being discovered is certainly not inconsiderable, all the more so since you are hiding numerous bad grades from 2 different schools. And when and if it does come out, you will be kicked out of med school/have your license revoked--period, end of story. That's a pretty big consequence, and it has absolutely happened before to med students and doctors who lied about their background.

On the other hand, if you are honest and work hard from here on out (meaning, essentially straight A's, which you seem confident you can achieve), and have a halfway decent explanation for your previous grades, you may indeed get into either MD or DO school--do a search, there are many stories on this board of people who flaked out and got D's and F's their freshman year, then pulled it together, applied, and got into good schools--of course you will also need to rock the MCAT as well when the time comes. If you can do those things, you still have a shot of getting in, and without having to worry about your past coming back to take away all you have worked for. This is what I would think about if I were you--I won't even go into the lack of honesty and ethics that your attitude displays, which should preclude your admission to med school anyway if you don't sprout a conscience between now and application time. But self-interest alone should tell you that lying and getting caught--a distinct possibilty--represents a far worse option than sucking it up and working hard from here on out.

forevalwayzz said:
i'm just adding in my 2 cents without having read other people's responses. but i think that you can get away with not turning in all your transcripts. I went to a CC while I was still in high school, took like 20+ hours (got all As), but didn't transfer any to my college and started fresh. I'm applying now without sending them my CC's transcript and i guess nothing happen thus far. Good luck in all your future pursuits.

I did this "actually forgot to enter the course/school" and AMCAS nailed me. they flat out said you took a course at this school, submit the transcript dagnabit. So AMCAS will find out. In the end, honesty is always the best policy, it's all about integrity, even if you don't think it is.

O ye of little faith... Why dost thou thinketh I be'eth a troll? Btw, what does OP mean?

First off, Thanks for all the replies. Very much appreciated.

Now I'll proceed to reply to a few points.

A) My perceived lack of IQ: Failing 2 years worth of consecutive classes isn't an accurate measure of one's academic prowess(or lack thereof) if one doesn't even show up for mid-terms or finals. Why that? The combination of a 40+ work week plus other interesting 'adventures' I was going through simultaneously. I'm assuming that many (if not most) of you have either scholarships or a generous parent footing the tuition bill. So all you gotta worry about is your popcorn money and what corner to sit in the library. Not so in my case. Bills Bills Bills: Tuition. Books. Rent. Food. You name it. All coming outa my pocket at the grizzled age of 18. Pray tell, what were you doing at 18? Irrelevant yes, but it does put things into context. For me, School was playing second fiddle to the bare basics of life: Food. Shelter. Sex (strike that last one down). A mistake. I should've taken a year off, worked like a squirrel on crack, saved up and then went to school primarily with a part-time gig for bills. (No loans till med school for me.)

Where does my confidence spring from? I know a 1330 on SATs means squat compared to upper-class science courses. But it does show an aptitude (not intelligence) towards academics in general. During my two year of infamy, I would be doing great in class (A's), until I'd miss way too many classes for me to make up. No re-tests=You're Schtooked. I firmly believe based on empirical evidence that I can not only roll with the top dogs, but beast them too. Some call it cockiness. I prefer confidence. As ol' Churchill put it: "Faint of heart never f*cked a spider"

2) Honesty/Ethics/Integrity/Disclosure: It's quite amusing to see some posters that were fervently discussing how best to 'con' an interview, all of a sudden grow an ethical backbone. You don't really possess integrity if it comes with a on-off switch or if it becomes another buzz word on your to do list (aka traits that Adcoms love in a doctor).

I consider myself an ethical person. What I fail to comprehend is how my refusal to disclose a portion of my academic past is considered unethical or unhonest or not befitting a doctor . I'm quite sure the Adcom members are human, which in turn means they might have skeletons in their closets (an affair? drinking problem? cover-ups? etc). In my case it's not even a wrongdoing. As an earlier poster put it, I won't let a lapse of judgment at age 18, screw me for years to come. When asked about the gap between high school and college, the truth is my savior: I was working. Got the W-2 forms too. No need to invent a 'BS sob story".

I think it's nice to come down from the moral high horse every now and then.

3) The It'll-bite-you-in-the-derriere Theory: This part is quite interesting. Chance seems to play a big role. But admittedly, the risk is great and worth considering. But let's say somehow they find out... I could say “I didn't know I had to report every class attended since high school, my fault.. Now, here you go” or "Sorry, I forgot to report those classes, but I will now, here you go" give them a copy of the transcripts. Will they automatically kick me out, or hear out my explanations? I think the students/doctors that got revoked or kicked out were caught in some big Whoppers, or some major unethical wrongdoing. Not merely 'forgetting' to state some classes (which can be explained). Am I right?

Thanks again, all. Looking forward to your comments

a little sidenote: if you dont want to go through additional schooling, theres always foreign med schools :)

Phew for a second I thought this was going to be one of those it's that time of the month threads.... :eek: :scared:

Med-Man84 said:
O ye of little faith... Why dost thou thinketh I be'eth a troll? Btw, what does OP mean?

A) My perceived lack of IQ: Failing 2 years worth of consecutive classes isn't an accurate measure of one's academic prowess(or lack thereof) if one doesn't even show up for mid-terms or finals. Why that? The combination of a 40+ work week plus other interesting 'adventures' I was going through simultaneously. I'm assuming that many (if not most) of you have either scholarships or a generous parent footing the tuition bill. So all you gotta worry about is your popcorn money and what corner to sit in the library. Not so in my case. Bills Bills Bills: Tuition. Books. Rent. Food. You name it. All coming outa my pocket at the grizzled age of 18. Pray tell, what were you doing at 18? Irrelevant yes, but it does put things into context. For me, School was playing second fiddle to the bare basics of life: Food. Shelter. Sex (strike that last one down). A mistake. I should've taken a year off, worked like a squirrel on crack, saved up and then went to school primarily with a part-time gig for bills. (No loans till med school for me.)

Where does my confidence spring from? I know a 1330 on SATs means squat compared to upper-class science courses. But it does show an aptitude (not intelligence) towards academics in general. During my two year of infamy, I would be doing great in class (A's), until I'd miss way too many classes for me to make up. No re-tests=You're Schtooked. I firmly believe based on empirical evidence that I can not only roll with the top dogs, but beast them too. Some call it cockiness. I prefer confidence. As ol' Churchill put it: "Faint of heart never f*cked a spider"

2) Honesty/Ethics/Integrity/Disclosure: It's quite amusing to see some posters that were fervently discussing how best to 'con' an interview, all of a sudden grow an ethical backbone. You don't really possess integrity if it comes with a on-off switch or if it becomes another buzz word on your to do list (aka traits that Adcoms love in a doctor).

I consider myself an ethical person. What I fail to comprehend is how my refusal to disclose a portion of my academic past is considered unethical or unhonest or not befitting a doctor . I'm quite sure the Adcom members are human, which in turn means they might have skeletons in their closets (an affair? drinking problem? cover-ups? etc). In my case it's not even a wrongdoing. As an earlier poster put it, I won't let a lapse of judgment at age 18, screw me for years to come. When asked about the gap between high school and college, the truth is my savior: I was working. Got the W-2 forms too. No need to invent a 'BS sob story".

3) The It'll-bite-you-in-the-derriere Theory: This part is quite interesting. Chance seems to play a big role. But admittedly, the risk is great and worth considering. But let's say somehow they find out... I could say “I didn't know I had to report every class attended since high school, my fault.. Now, here you go” or "Sorry, I forgot to report those classes, but I will now, here you go" give them a copy of the transcripts. Will they automatically kick me out, or hear out my explanations? I think the students/doctors that got revoked or kicked out were caught in some big Whoppers, or some major unethical wrongdoing. Not merely 'forgetting' to state some classes (which can be explained). Am I right?

Ok, I'll bite and answer your questions. Again.

A) Your perceived lack of IQ: I don't know if you're smart or not. Your SAT scores are similiar to mine. I don't think I'm necessarily "smart," but I'm a hard worker. And it seems that you are not. Let me qualify something I said earlier. Med. school should not be considered a PRIZE that can be won at the end of a game (although maybe applying to med. school can be seen as a game). A prize signifies that the game is over and no further work is required. Getting into med. school is only THE BEGINNING of the hard work. So my Q. to you is: what have you done to change your poor work ethic and test your motivation to get through med school/residency?

And although I did recieve scholarships for my grades and SAT scores in high school, I also worked to pay for college.

2) You dishonesty: failure to disclose = lying = dishonesty. You can justify your lie all you want ("maybe adcoms have skeletons..."), but the fact is that lying is unethical.

If you are unable to tell the truth now, how will you ever make a more complicated ethical decision as a physician?

3) I don't think anyone will believe your "I forgot to mention it" story.

You haven't addressed why you want to become a physician... Do you have any clinical experience? Maybe after spending some time in a hospital, you will realize you don't want to be a doctor and this will all be a moot point...

The way I see it: you were immature in the past, skipping tests and failing classes. You are still immature, which can be seen in your dishonesty (and in your naiveness if you want to pursue medicine and haven't done anything to test this). Get some medical experiences, get good grades, look into other professions - if you still want to be a doctor, you can think about all this then.

-lizanne11

P.S. A, 2, 3? ;)

I actually prefer listing things A, 2, #, for a little variety.

A) Judging from your posts, my perception of you is someone that probably has enough intelligence to do this, if you can find the motivation. Potential is great, but nobody ever accomplished anything on potential. You're going to have to kick it in gear at some point, the longer you wait, the harder it is.

I'm certainly not going to fault you for working to make a buck to put yourself through college. However, if you work so much that you can't finish college anyway, what's the point? There's no shame in building up some loans; all the cool kids are doing it.

2) Yeah, a lot of premeds are hypocritical, to varying degrees. And like you said, nobody's perfect, not even the doctors on the committees. The difference there is that they are judging you, not the other way around. It sucks, but jumping through hoops is part of the process.

3) The Bite-You-In-the-Derriere theory I'm pretty sure is true. All schools and AMCAS have some sort of legal language they can use to do bad things to you if you lie. I think for AMCAS it's something about certifying that the information in your application is complete and true to the best of your knowledge. Many schools make you resign this for the secondary. Pittsburgh (fresh since I just did it) makes you affirm that you have submitted transcripts from every school you have ever attended. I can't say there's a way to weasel out of that one. They don't just ask what you were doing in the gap, they ask you head-on if you've been to other schools. I doubt they will accept you forgetting 2 years of your life as a reasonable excuse.

Moral of the Story: I think it would suck if you busted your hump for 4 years to get your grades up, dedicated all the time and energy and money to getting into medical school, then got kicked out for lying. I know it feels like you have to hide it to have a chance to get in in the first place, but I promise if you kick ass and take names the next 4 years and apply to a range of MD and DO schools, you'll get in somewhere. And you'll have a great overcoming adversity story to brag about, not have to hide.

Again, good luck.

Med-Man84 said:

ok, after reading this, you guys scare me, so I decided to hunt down those courses I took while in high school (nothing bad since it's all As right?) so my question (sorry OP since this is your thread) is, can I still add in those courses to AMCAS even though I have like umm... 7 interviews already? PM me so that I'm not taking the spotlight from OP...

Edit--

Posted a question here but decided to ask it in a new thread :)

I don't know why anyone is still taking this guy seriously. He said he was a troll. And for anyone who got any bright ideas from his suggestions, feel free to try lieing about your record. This is a good way to weed the bad apples out early, before you steal my notes in medical school (for the benefit of your patients, of course).

And if you're curious, post your identifying information (the stuff that AMCAS asks for in part 1 of the application) on this thread, and you'll see your academic record posted here in a week or two, ie whenever the goons get around to it. (you hear that, goons?)

Sooz said:
Reading this thread made me think of a question. And sorry to the OP but I'm just gonna ask it here instead of making an entire new thread about it.

Anyway, just how bad are "W's"? I think I have about 10 on my official transcript. About 5 from 1986 (I was fresh out of high school and was not ready for college at all). And about 5 from last year, when about a month into the semester I had some health problems and was hospitalized for about 2 weeks. Afterwards I just couldn't seem to get caught up/back into the swing of school. I had a hard enough time getting back into the swing of work...let alone school at that point...and just ended up withdrawing from the entire semester :confused:

Thanks!

I think medical excuses are probably reasonable.

He may or may not be a troll, but I figured I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

dbhvt said:
you'll see your academic record posted here in a week or two, ie whenever the goons get around to it. (you hear that, goons?)

I am disgusted that you would think we would stoop to this level simply to show a bunch of unethical premeds that they should really tell the truth. :mad:

And I think I speak for all goons.

everyone gets crappy grades every now and then. it doesn't mean they're too stupid to pull good grades. stupidity is different....

why the HELL would you take 18-20 units regardless of whether or not they were units from a CC or state U?
and while you were failing the classes why didn't you just withdraw from school? obviously you were going through some serious issues during those academic year and adcoms don't mind if you took time off.
i just don't get it.

Med-Man84 said:
Honesty/Ethics/Integrity/Disclosure: It's quite amusing to see some posters that were fervently discussing how best to 'con' an interview, all of a sudden grow an ethical backbone. You don't really possess integrity if it comes with a on-off switch or if it becomes another buzz word on your to do list (aka traits that Adcoms love in a doctor).

AMCAS makes you "sign" (checkbox) that you understand that you must report all classes you have taken since high school. Ever. Whether you withdrew, failed, whatever.

You seem to be a rather flippant person in general. Know that if you do this, the medical schools will find out. And then you then will deny you admission/kick you out. What exactly do you think it is that makes something a "Big Whopper"?

Your decision to not "disclose" this information about your academic record is unethical because they specifically ask you to list alll courses you have ever taken at any college (including community colleges and international schools) and you would be lying to them by only listing some, and then certifying that yes, your application is complete and accurate to the best of your knowledge. You would be actively lying to them, not just choosing not to "disclose" some information.

"You have a problem with authority, Mr. Anderson. You believe that you are special, that somehow the rules do not apply to you. Obviously you are mistaken." :p

There. Now I've finished my essay, and it's time to go to bed. So I swear to god, I'm just going to post one last time.

Here's an MCAT Verbal drill for all of you.

Before you post an answer to the very funny original question. Read it. Read it carefully for TSP. Ask yourself, "if I was an imp and wanted to start a ridiculous fake thread for kicks, is this the kind of post I would write?" Is the language the language of a newbies first post on SDN? How about "It's that time again?", and the whole first paragraph for that matter. And is a 1330 that great of an SAT?

So, is this a confused deluded kid, or an impish joke/ impish sociology experiment.

tacrum43 said:
"You have a problem with authority, Mr. Anderson. You believe that you are special, that somehow the rules do not apply to you. Obviously you are mistaken." :p

Were you trying to imitate honorary drill sargeant gunny there?

;)

medhacker said:
Were you trying to imitate honorary drill sargeant gunny there?

;)

Huh? I was quoting the Matrix. I don't think it matters much though, I'm pretty sure this guy is a troll, but I was in the mood, so I thought I would respond.

By the way, who is that guy in your avatar? That's like the third pic of the guy you've had, but I don't recognize him from anywhere.