IUSM vs. MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TopDocChick

Rock Star
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one should I choose? I loved the MCW atmosphere but IUSM is ranked higher in US News. I also would be paying less at IUSM since I am an Indiana Resident. At the end of the day though, I really liked the people, the facilities and the city better at MCW than IUSM. I am 90% sure I am going to MCW but I wanted some opinions to help convince me.

Members don't see this ad.

I would honestly recommend IUSM. I too have interviewed and been accepted at both schools (and am an Indiana resident) so I know where you're coming from.

Honestly, both schools are pretty chill, and I can see where you're coming from saying that the feeling, curriculum, exc. at MCW is better. My personal thought was that IUSM had the worst interview day of any school I have interviewed at... ever... That being said, I have a slew of friends there now who absolutely love it and the interview day doesn't do justice to their hospitals / facilities (since they don't show them to you, and you feel like you don't matter since there are so many people interviewing).

I'd recommend following a student around for a day or going to the second look day or whatever it is to see if your impressions reflect the actual school or just the interview day. At the end of the day the cost would be a big difference for me... However, obviously wait until you get both financial aid packets before you make any decision, perhaps MCW won't be that much more than IUSM, and in that case go with whatever you'd like.

p.s. Milwaukee > Indy :)
p.s.s. I have a lot of friends waiting to get into IUSM... so maybe you should go to MCW... haha

I would say to go to IUSM. I also wouldn't pay to much attention to the whole USNews rankings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Weren't you the one gushing with excited anticipation about receiving MCW's acceptance letter this week? That kind of excitement about a school should absolutely not be taken lightly, in my opinion. If it felt right, I say go for MCW! But I understand your dilemma, and I agree that going back to both schools to tour again is a good idea.

You were having an orgasm over MCW, so why are we having this discussion? Unless it was fake orgasm. Don't be so calculating. If you love MCW, then go there. I would be nervous, if I was your fiance.

I just don't want to be blinded by love. I did have a great experience there, but I will be moving my whole family to Milwaukee so the decision has to be thought through before it is done. I have three kids who will be switching schools and a husband switching jobs. Anyway, i think that we are going to go with MCW.... I just wanted to hear some comparisons from other people.

I've never lived in Indy, but have lived in Milwaukee. I gotta say, my wife and I now live in the Twin Cities and Milwaukee is really the only place we would move back to should it be up to us. We both really loved the area, theres lots to do (especially in the summer), thanks to the lake, the winters are much more bearable than they are here, cost of living is DIRT CHEAP (possibly enough to make up for tuition depending on what your plans are for buying/renting-again I don't know much about Indy). The school districts that surround the campus (Wauwatosa, West Allis, Brookfield etc.) are all very good (plus there are a host of decent (although I disagree with them in general) private high schools), and the area where the school is fairly safe.

The city itself is odd though, probably the most segregated city I've ever been in. There are some rough areas, but you surely can find an affordable home in a nice area.