I've been having nightmares about the july 24th MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scdocusc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont know if it's just me but I studied my butt off for the MCAT for 4 months. I felt like I didnt do well but I've taken the test 3 times already. I've been having such bad dreams about doing worse or the same on the july 24th MCAT. AAARRRGGGHHHH is anyone else stress out just waiting? I feel like I sit and second guess every question that I can remember.

Members don't see this ad.

I know I definitely made blind guesses on a lot of questions and for the first week I couldn't sleep. Now I know I got atleast 4 wrong.

Think positive. For 4 months you studied, you did the best you could possibly do, and that's it. Even if you retook, do you think you could have done better? That exam was rough, but I'm sure there were lots of questions you were confident in. Dwell on that and the fact that most people do better than they feel they did.

luckily i havent had nightmares YET. i dont feel comfortable (as i have stated numerous times in other posts with my PS) and i usually get nervous during the day thinking abt it...but i feel like i gave it my all when studying! so all i can do is wait patiently!!!
im just hoping that my scores are good enough to get accepted SOMEWHERE!:)

good luck to all of you!

I slept well for the first 4-5 nights after I took the exam - and now im back to an insomniac.. it sucks. All I can think about it is how far bent over I got by the PS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just get out of the house and do stuff to get it out of your head. Ok, try to get it out of your head. Ok, ok, lessen the impact. Er, not let it be at the forefront? Um, yeah. Just don't void your test.

I was very very nervous about the PS section and this is what finally made me to sign up for the August 9th exam. I want to retake the damn thing since I'm sure I bombed the PS section. there is no way that more than 2-3 blind guesses are correct which in that case I am screwed. I had a lot of blind guesses:scared::(

This might not be the right forum, but since y'all are talking about it ....

with the new CBT, are the exams the same each time? or is each one different? In other words, I'm taking it August 6th -- will I have the same one as July 24th?

No way - different each time.

If that were the case i would be registering for each administration!
lol

This might not be the right forum, but since y'all are talking about it ....

with the new CBT, are the exams the same each time? or is each one different? In other words, I'm taking it August 6th -- will I have the same one as July 24th?

I am in the same boat. I've taken the MCAT before and scored decently but for some idiotic reason I thought that I could do better. I am so scared out of mind as to what awaits me come the end of August. I dont know what I will do if it is the same or lower and how med schools will perceive this.

I thought I would be happy once it was over but now all I can think about is that damn test and how each day brings me closer to finding out my score. :eek:

I was very very nervous about the PS section and this is what finally made me to sign up for the August 9th exam. I want to retake the damn thing since I'm sure I bombed the PS section. there is no way that more than 2-3 blind guesses are correct which in that case I am screwed. I had a lot of blind guesses:scared::(

I think pretty much everyone made blind guesses, so statistically everyone will get a small percentage of their guesses correct. I for one had the PS section down cold but feel that I bombed the july 24th as well. Let's hope what they say about the curve is true.

I totally agree with the OP. I can't stop going over the passages in my head. I guessed on a few questions as well, and that is really driving me crazy. Well not crazy but a little nuts..lol.

Does anyone else find it annoying when someone says, "Well you tried as hard as you could, so don't worry about it now." The fact that I tried as hard as I could makes me more worried. I guess their heart is in the right place, and that's probably what I would say as well..lol. Goodluck to all of you, and I hope we all get the results we want and deserve!

I dont know if it's just me but I studied my butt off for the MCAT for 4 months. I felt like I didnt do well but I've taken the test 3 times already. I've been having such bad dreams about doing worse or the same on the july 24th MCAT. AAARRRGGGHHHH is anyone else stress out just waiting? I feel like I sit and second guess every question that I can remember.

you are only focusing on the questions you struggled with....trust me--there were plenty that you knew and were confident about--even if you can't recall it now.

listen--you studied for 4 months--you prepared well--let that fact help you sleep well at night. don't focus on past disappointments--have confidence that this time will be different

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the wait's rough...the best thing to do is distract yourself. If you're applying this cycle, get crackin' on the secondaries, if you are not, find something to occupy yourself for the next 3 weeks - maybe training for a 10K or something.

Everyone's probably going to laugh at me... But I'm worried that I'm not worried. Since I've heard from so many people that perceived performance is counterintuitive, well... I'm trying to make myself think I bombed it? Good grief, I must be going crazy.

I am freaked out as well. I want a time machine so I can go forward in time, find out how I did, and then come back to work on my application. Or go back further and study again. I don't know, but I'm freakin out.

i've been dreaming about it everynight and then I read all this feedback about the August 6 and August 9 tests and I wished I had taken it then. I'm terrified! I studied so much and was so shocked on the test..hopefully there's a huge curve!

i felt like i guessed on a lot on ps (got nervous, panicked and some of the passages were like wtf)...ahhhhh this is scary!!! wierd part..i cant remember much abt this section
how many do you guys think u guessed on?

I've given up reading the August mcat reviews from people. It just makes me angry that we got such a freaking hard test and that I'll probably get screwed with the score. Just my luck, seriously.

On interviews, people have asked me "why did you retake it? are you crazy?" and I just want to tell them "yes, I am. I must be because, most likely, I've systematically ruined my chances." :(

On the upside, Aug may have a more harsh curve than July's (which is what I also took...curse you...24th of July for the REST of my life!)

I just resign to the fact that I did what I could, and that things will turn out the way they are meant to turn out.

Guys, I cant agree with you more. I've been reading the other reviews of the august tests and I'm pissed off to say the least. I feel like I was unjustly molested by that test. I hope my score increases from my past two tests, I studied so much and I hope (like many of you do) that the curve is large and in charge. I also think that because there was only one administration and thus less number of test takers that it will probably help out a little. I still cant sleep at night and I still have an nervous feeling even though I've already completed my applications. Oh well!!! I guess you just have to gamble in life

i get random panic attacks during the day lol

i blindly guessed on about 5 questions (on PS) because i had no idea how to answer/was running out of time

somewhat educated guesses on A LOT

i was sure of very few...

In an attempt to cheer you all up a little: Coming from an undergrad where everything is run by the mean/standard dev, a low mean is way more desirable than a high one. Sure you come out of each test thinking you only knew about half the material, but you'll get a sick curve. And from what I've heard, those miracle stories of the kid unable to break a 30 on a practice test yet ends up with a 37 have usually involved a killer MCAT. You'll all be fine.. deep breaths!

In an attempt to cheer you all up a little: Coming from an undergrad where everything is run by the mean/standard dev, a low mean is way more desirable than a high one. Sure you come out of each test thinking you only knew about half the material, but you'll get a sick curve. And from what I've heard, those miracle stories of the kid unable to break a 30 on a practice test yet ends up with a 37 have usually involved a killer MCAT. You'll all be fine.. deep breaths!

I love you janedoe. Keep the encouragement coming. I'm sick of hearing about August. My life is on a wire and the last thing I want to hear is how everyone else is doing better.

ok i give up..no more reading august stories, b/c it's TRULY depressing! how did we all get so screwed??? i don't even think i could have done more studying then i did!

I took the July 24th as well as the august 9th exam.
From my perspective, the august exam was a complete pleasure to take. I left feeling completely confident knowing I will score above a 30 and sleep like a baby tonight.
The July exam's bio had 5 passages about thick and complicated molec. bio experiments and one impossible orgo (beta oxidation). Today's exam was completely balanced (4 bio and 3 orgo- all easy). Phys was also a complete breeze. I guess we'll wait and see if that infamous curve truely balances things out?

everyone keeps saying that the curve will help but for some odd reason the number 5 keeps coming to mind ...im REALLY REALLY hoping its not my PS score...(worst part its not even a nightmare, i think im starting to go crazy)

I took the July 24th as well as the august 9th exam.
From my perspective, the august exam was a complete pleasure to take. I left feeling completely confident knowing I will score above a 30 and sleep like a baby tonight.
The July exam's bio had 5 passages about thick and complicated molec. bio experiments and one impossible orgo (beta oxidation). Today's exam was completely balanced (4 bio and 3 orgo- all easy). Phys was also a complete breeze. I guess we'll wait and see if that infamous curve truely balances things out?

Thanks PreMD86. :rolleyes:

Are we really going to get our scores on the 23rd or will it be more than 30 days like it has been on other MCATs this year?