J1 to H1b Swap during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dr.Salt

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could some one enlighten me if a J1 to H1b swap during residency is viable? Specifically, I'm looking at likely H1b for a radiology position as a PGY2 and J1 for my intern year. Does the two-year home country requirement apply in this case?

I can't seem to find much about this anywhere. I figured I'd try the wisemen at sdn before I reach out to ECFMG.

Thanks
 
My understanding is that you can't switch. Once you get a J1 visa the only way to switch to h1b is to complete residency, leave the country or work in a rural area for two years and then reapply.

There is a different type of J1 that is given to researchers but that is a different category and I think you can apply for an H1b.

Best thing is to talk to an immigration lawyer. That is what I did before getting stuck with any visas.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile