Jailed pharmacist follow up.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Don't call him a kid - he was ready to launch gang-land level of violence. To loosely quote a bad mother*ucking movie...

"His death, while tragic, probably saved lives."

He was a kid being used by an adult too coward to do it himself. It happens every day. Go out on the street and see who is slinging...not adults. They've got kids out there...they seduce them while they are young...

It's just sad...that's all it really is. Celebrating the death of some kid in a tongue in cheek manner under the facade of the greatness of vigilante justice is just pathetic...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
He was a kid being used by an adult too coward to do it himself. It happens every day. Go out on the street and see who is slinging...not adults. They've got kids out there...they seduce them while they are young...

It's just sad...that's all it really is. Celebrating the death of some kid in a tongue in cheek manner under the facade of the greatness of vigilante justice is just pathetic...

It is sad... but to argue that "A Few Good Men" isn't one of the greatest movies ever is deplorable.

Side note - The amount of passion you're showing in this thread is remarkable. I believe its sincere... 👍
 
pretty awful what happened to him.

didnt i read the kid was getting chemotherapy? seriously, what was the life expectancy on her anyways?

sounds like the mother is a real biznatch


...wouldn't want you to be my pharmacist
 
But like Dr. M said, for anyone who actually has been in life and death situation you are definately not thinking clearly.

I completely disagree. When I was in a similar situation, ALL I could think about was what I have been taught by parents, teachers, employers, etc. my entire life:

COMPLY WITH THEIR WISHES AND REMAIN CALM.

As I was face-down in a parking lot counting to 20 watching the shoes of the two mother#@#*#@* to whom I handed everything on my person (even my damn pizza I was picking up!) running away, I was thinking that if I had a gun I would shoot them right now. I assume that pharmacist had the same thought after the initial jolt of the situation wore off...only he actually did it.

It would be interesting to know whether he would go back and do things the same way over again.
 
Holy ****.1st degree? Wow...

EDIT: you know what though- he did keep shooting when he didn't have to. It was clearly excessive.

Apparently 45 seconds in an armed robbery was enough to satisfy the malice aforethought requirement.

He shot him to make sure he didn't get up again. Good for him, one less piece of scum wandering the earth robbing pharmacies.

Stupid Oklahoma City DA's office, what a waste of taxpayer money.
 
It was so obviously First Degree Murder. He was guilty as sin. If you watched the movie, it's as clear as day. He shot an unconscious man five frickin times.
 
It was so obviously First Degree Murder. He was guilty as sin. If you watched the movie, it's as clear as day. He shot an unconscious man five frickin times.

And didn't he walk away from the unconscious kid and go reload or get a different gun before finishing him off? I agree with premeditated murder.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Definitely excessive; he walked past the kid twice with his back to him. Once was to get the second gun. I doubt he thought the unconscious kid was a threat.

I don't really see how it's first degree murder though. He should definitely be punished for the several shots he took that were clearly not in self-defense. But I don't think he should receive the same sentence as someone who, for example, buys life insurance on their spouse and then kills them off.

ETA: in my first sentence, I think the pharmacist was excessive. But reading now, I guess that was my bottom line for both sides.
 
Last edited:
And didn't he walk away from the unconscious kid and go reload or get a different gun before finishing him off? I agree with premeditated murder.

I remember reading that too, interesting to see differen in opinions across the board, to me this is a no brainer.
 
The Robbers fired at Ersland. What would you do if you were getting shot at? How would you act one minute later? This jury is a disgrace. How do we know for sure the first bullet wouldn't have ended up killing him and the other five shots was just shooting a dead body.

I feel terrible for his family. He wasn't looking to kill anyone that day, but he could spend the rest of his life in jail for protecting the pharmacy.
 
this is why i have absolutely ZERO faith in the justice system.

it lets criminals out all day long and gives them 100 chances then it throws the book at people defending themselves. what a joke
 
It's a shame that Ersland didn't have better aim that day. You serve your country in a war, come back with PTSD, this **** happens, you do society a favor by getting rid of one of the robbers, and this is how they ****ing repay you. Obama should pardon him.

of course you'd say something like this. good thing you don't live in a pro-gun state. or maybe you just like trolling 🙁

how on earth could you (and others) defend this guy? don't get me wrong, i'm a "better judged by 12 than carried by 6" kinda guy, i'm all about pharmacy owners CCWing, and having stand-your-ground laws and such. but this dude shot that punk while he was down in cold blood. supposedly the punk was hit in the head with brain damage, and then shot repeatedly after that, and some might argue that he was already dead after the headshot. but according to that video, the evidence is pretty substantial.

i hate to see a pretty clearly honorable guy who was defending his pharmacy go to jail for life, and i think the sentence/conviction is harsher than it should be. and it would be a totally different story if he magdumped in the heat of the moment and then found this dude shot 6 times. but as far as i know, mercy killing/executions/shooting people when they're hit and pose no harm pretty much goes against everything in the book.

for those of you who have CCW permits (and a pharmacy that lets you), let this be a reminder of both how fast things get real as well as what not to do. but i don't know any CCW instructor, criminal defense lawyer, etc who would possibly recommend such an event to occur. hard to imagine being in that guy's shoes at that point in time, though.

tl;dr: some of y'all crazy, shoot first and ask questions later, but don't shoot, wait, get another gun, and then shoot incapacitated people again.
 
How can you not defend this guy? He probably saved lives in the future. Who knows how many more pharmacies this low life punk ass kid was gonna rob. If he wasn't stopped that day, he might of robbed another pharmacy tomorrow and accidentally shot technician and then plowed into a family crossing the street while he was getting away.

If you decide to commit a serious violent crime and you end up dead because of it, I don't feel sorry one bit. I feel sorry for the pharMacist. He was just shot at, clearly he was in survival mode, I don't think he was thinking clearly. Obviously he had adrenaline, fear, and anger running through his body. I don't think he was in right mind, it clearly wasn't first degree murder. It clearly wasn't planned. What he did was unnecessary and illegal, but his life shouldn't be completly ruined because some punk ass gang bangers decided to terrorize him and his staff.
 
I suppose the real moral of the story is to hit your target the first time (also should probably empty your clip, though spare a few rounds for the accomplice).
 
Another amazing example of how a criminal has more rights and the victim being prosecuted or held accountable for any injuries that occur.

I guess you missed the part where the two real criminals got murder, too.

Of course, the "victim" you speak of is dead, so it baffles me even more how you can say that kid somehow got something out of this.

....

But this shows why you can't just shoot to blatantly kill. You can only shoot to neutralize a threat. You have no idea if a threat was themselves forced or intimidated into doing something.

What if you were robbed by a guy who's family was kidnapped and the kidnappers told him that unless he robbed a store with a gun, his family would die? Would you be justified in shooting to kill after the threat has been neutralized? No, that person is being forced into that action and isn't guilty of a crime at all. That's why we have judges and juries for this ****. You don't know what's going on and you don't have the right to execute someone without all of the facts.

From what I understand, this case is similar. These kids were forced into doing this by two older criminals in their 30s. And the kid that died wasn't even armed.

Hence, all things considered, I would say a murder charge is warranted, but not the most strict degree.

The two older criminals should be given 1st degree murder charges, period.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Glad to see this turn out right. The Pharmacist executed the kid after the threat was over and ended up in jail like he deserves.

I hope none of us are in this situation ever...and if you are, id like to see the outcome...and what each and every one of you would do...There is no way to know what was going on in his head. This outcome is just really really sad.
 
I hope none of us are in this situation ever...and if you are, id like to see the outcome...and what each and every one of you would do...There is no way to know what was going on in his head. This outcome is just really really sad.

I'll tell you what I WON'T do. I won't shoot an incapacitated person in the head 5 times as he lays on the ground dying. I'd like to think my moral threshold is above execution
 
I guess you missed the part where the two real criminals got murder, too.

Of course, the "victim" you speak of is dead, so it baffles me even more how you can say that kid somehow got something out of this.

....

But this shows why you can't just shoot to blatantly kill. You can only shoot to neutralize a threat. You have no idea if a threat was themselves forced or intimidated into doing something.

What if you were robbed by a guy who's family was kidnapped and the kidnappers told him that unless he robbed a store with a gun, his family would die? Would you be justified in shooting to kill after the threat has been neutralized? No, that person is being forced into that action and isn't guilty of a crime at all. That's why we have judges and juries for this ****. You don't know what's going on and you don't have the right to execute someone without all of the facts.

From what I understand, this case is similar. These kids were forced into doing this by two older criminals in their 30s. And the kid that died wasn't even armed.

Hence, all things considered, I would say a murder charge is warranted, but not the most strict degree.

The two older criminals should be given 1st degree murder charges, period.


I'm glad you're such a hardass that you've been in situations where your life was directly threatened and you could make choices like he did. Ever had a gun pointed directly at you? Ever been shot at? I doubt it. I don't care what the situation was. Given the circumstances, had I been the pharmacist there, I certainly wouldn't have taken the time to question these thugs robbing me and threatening my life and the lives of my employees whether or not they were robbing me under duress. Please.

Being a trained instrument of warfare I would have eliminated the threat and ensured they were no longer a threat. Let me know the next time you get carjacked at gunpoint if you have time to ask the kids if they are doing it of their own accord.
 
Have you SEEN the store video? To me, that says it all.

I certainly don't think this is first degree murder. However, vigilant justice, which is what this was beyond the first round, needs to be punished.
 
Have you SEEN the store video? To me, that says it all.

I certainly don't think this is first degree murder. However, vigilant justice, which is what this was beyond the first round, needs to be punished.
What do you think is the appropriate punishment for an older guy with a back brace?

I think most can agree on these key points:

  • He shouldn't have shot the kid after he dropped him initially
  • He shouldn't get first degree murder for this
We're about to send him into a prison with legitimate murderers, etc. We can let media ****** like Lindsey Lohan veer all over the highway while driving drunk, go the wrong direction in traffic, carry cocaine, etc, and yet she's hardly served any time. This guy freaked out in the moment, and he's about to lose his life as he knows it.

I feel terrible for him, and definitely hope the sentence is a light one.
 
Have you SEEN the store video? To me, that says it all.

I certainly don't think this is first degree murder. However, vigilant justice, which is what this was beyond the first round, needs to be punished.

When you are trained in the use of deadly force as long as you can justify your perception of potential threat, you are fine. If the guy can justify that he felt the presence of a threat then it shouldn't be questioned. If he shot a person who was on the ground then it could possibly be seen as manslaughter, not murder.

You cannot think in terms of what a "reasonable and prudent" person would do in this context. Things happen quicker than you can think, so you just respond to what you are trained to do. 99% of people have never been in a situation like this. Nobody can say, "well I would have checked to see if he had a gun first." That's bull****.
 
I have to agreed that he should be punished, but it's a bit excessive.. Grabbing a second handgun while the dude is out on the ground shows plenty of thought. Not only that, but if I remember reading correctly, the other teen robber had the gun, and not the one he ended up shooting. I doubt he realized that on the first shot, but I'm pretty sure he did a quick scan to see if there was a gun anywhere near this kid.

Personally, I can understand some of this pharmacist's frustration. Living in North Philly, I see stories about students getting shot by thugs all the time. ****, if I had the chance I'd love to unload a clip into these goons raising hell because they're bored. The fact of the matter, though, is that we can't. It's easy to fall prey to your emotions, which is what I think happened to this guy, but we can't, as a society, allow that to happen.

On the other hand, we can't allow a sentence of life for a rash decision. 45 seconds with your adrenaline pumping is a pretty short time and for anyone to say this was almost premeditated isn't fair. I say give him something like 10 years with a possibly of parole and take away his CCW permit to ensure nothing like this happens again.
 
I'll tell you what I WON'T do. I won't shoot an incapacitated person in the head 5 times as he lays on the ground dying. I'd like to think my moral threshold is above execution

Really? You dont know what you are capable off until your in that situation. This pharmacist does not deserve life in prison, first degree murder is excessive.
 
I have to agreed that he should be punished, but it's a bit excessive.. Grabbing a second handgun while the dude is out on the ground shows plenty of thought. Not only that, but if I remember reading correctly, the other teen robber had the gun, and not the one he ended up shooting. I doubt he realized that on the first shot, but I'm pretty sure he did a quick scan to see if there was a gun anywhere near this kid.

Personally, I can understand some of this pharmacist's frustration. Living in North Philly, I see stories about students getting shot by thugs all the time. ****, if I had the chance I'd love to unload a clip into these goons raising hell because they're bored. The fact of the matter, though, is that we can't. It's easy to fall prey to your emotions, which is what I think happened to this guy, but we can't, as a society, allow that to happen.

On the other hand, we can't allow a sentence of life for a rash decision. 45 seconds with your adrenaline pumping is a pretty short time and for anyone to say this was almost premeditated isn't fair. I say give him something like 10 years with a possibly of parole and take away his CCW permit to ensure nothing like this happens again.

10 years is still excessive. Lose CWP, 3 years max.
 
Really? You dont know what you are capable off until your in that situation. This pharmacist does not deserve life in prison, first degree murder is excessive.

the guy deserves a medal. thank you for removing one more piece of **** from the streets and preventing him from spawning his evil genes.
 
Regardless of whether you agree or disagree, a quick read of the law shows that this situation definitely meets the LEGAL definition of first degree murder in Oklahoma:

Source: http://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=1430

R.L.1910, § 2312.
§21-701.7. Murder in the first degree

A. A person commits murder in the first degree when that person unlawfully and with malice aforethought causes the death of another human being. Malice is that deliberate intention unlawfully to take away the life of a human being, which is manifested by external circumstances capable of proof.
B. A person also commits the crime of murder in the first degree, regardless of malice, when that person or any other person takes the life of a human being during, or if the death of a human being results from, the commission or attempted commission of murder of another person, shooting or discharge of a firearm or crossbow with intent to kill, intentional discharge of a firearm or other deadly weapon into any dwelling or building as provided in Section 1289.17A of this title, forcible rape, robbery with a dangerous weapon, kidnapping, escape from lawful custody, eluding an officer, first degree burglary, first degree arson, unlawful distributing or dispensing of controlled dangerous substances, or trafficking in illegal drugs.
C. A person commits murder in the first degree when the death of a child results from the willful or malicious injuring, torturing, maiming or using of unreasonable force by said person or who shall willfully cause, procure or permit any of said acts to be done upon the child pursuant to Section 7115 of Title 10 of the Oklahoma Statutes. It is sufficient for the crime of murder in the first degree that the person either willfully tortured or used unreasonable force upon the child or maliciously injured or maimed the child.
D. A person commits murder in the first degree when that person unlawfully and with malice aforethought solicits another person or persons to cause the death of a human being in furtherance of unlawfully manufacturing, distributing or dispensing controlled dangerous substances, as defined in the Uniform Controlled Dangerous Substances Act, unlawfully possessing with intent to distribute or dispense controlled dangerous substances, or trafficking in illegal drugs.
E. A person commits murder in the first degree when that person intentionally causes the death of a law enforcement officer or correctional officer while the officer is in the performance of official duties.

The list of circumstances in B is an -or- list, meaning that only one of the listed circumstances needs to apply. It's pretty clear to me that the pharmacist intended to kill the incapacitated robber and the killing involved a firearm. Legally, the jury was entitled to convict for first degree murder. The prosecution did not have to demonstrate premeditation or malice aforethought.
 
Last edited:
Right.. Cuz genes are "evil" and all "spawn" from evil people turn out evil...

And, I'm not surprised at your response, either. 🙄

Evil is a dominant allele of the gene " EVIL" in the locus " 7p24.3" on chromosome 7, so it's not surprising he is indicating genetic transmission, have you learned nothing in pharmacogenetics ? :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Evil is a dominant allele of the gene " EVIL" in the locus " 7p24.3" on chromosome 7, so it's not surprising he is indicating genetic transmission, have you learned nothing in pharmacogenetics ? :laugh:
You sure about that? I could've swore Evil on the q arm and not p arm. Granted it been a while since I took Genetics at my Local JuCo.


Also, no need to worry about revoking his CWL or CHL or whatever it's called in your state. Felony automatically revokes your CHL in Texas and OK is one of the states that share reciprocity with Texas on CHL, so I think they may have similar restrictions in this regard.
 
Right.. Cuz genes are "evil" and all "spawn" from evil people turn out evil...

Evil is a dominant allele of the gene " EVIL" in the locus " 7p24.3" on chromosome 7, so it's not surprising he is indicating genetic transmission, have you learned nothing in pharmacogenetics ? :laugh:

Isn't that next to the gay gene? I never took genetics, but I heard on Focus on the Family.
 
I'm glad you're such a hardass that you've been in situations where your life was directly threatened and you could make choices like he did. Ever had a gun pointed directly at you? Ever been shot at? I doubt it.

Yes and yes. I was raised by two crack heads. I used to drive a Thunderbird with a bullet hole in it. And I compensated for this crime of the moment b saying that he shouldn't be charged with premeditated murder - however, he obviously acted inappropriately and should be punished for it.


I don't care what the situation was. Given the circumstances, had I been the pharmacist there, I certainly wouldn't have taken the time to question these thugs robbing me and threatening my life and the lives of my employees whether or not they were robbing me under duress. Please.

Being a trained instrument of warfare I would have eliminated the threat and ensured they were no longer a threat. Let me know the next time you get carjacked at gunpoint if you have time to ask the kids if they are doing it of their own accord.

The kid was shot in the head on the ground, unarmed. There is no reason to pump him with 5 more rounds...give me a break. And then the psycho went outside and chased the other kid firing wildly down the street.
 
I see what you did there :laugh:

Oh yes, and didn't you know? Gay and evil are genetically linked. Surely all the gays want to take over the world 🙄
I just meant how certain folks think that gay people shouldn't have kids because they somehow beget...gay kids? Which is funny because all of the gay people I know have straight parents :idea: