January 2009 PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Just wanted to get a thread started for those who plan to retake the PCAT in 2009, especially for those of us that are trying to get into pharmacy school for fall 2009 since this is our last shot of getting a good score for this cycle. :scared:

What did you think went wrong, and what do you plan to do differently?

To be honest, I didn't study enough at all. I read through almost the entire Kaplan PCAT book, but I was just reading and not comprehending. I can read a book and if it's really boring, I won't be able to tell you anything right after reading it. I registered for the October test probably a little over 2 months before the test date. I maybe studied 1 month averaging 4-5 hours for the week. I had access to 3 practice tests (2 from the PCAT peeps and 1 from Kaplan), and I only did 1 practice test.

This time around (starting Monday after all the thanksgiving festivities die down) I'm going to spend about 3-4 hours a day studying. I read about 6 chapters a day last time, but I was just reading words, so this time I'm going to only read 2 chapters a day and make sure I really understand the material. I also plan to look for outside material away from this Kaplan book that's not too expensive. It says it has all the material one needs to do well on the PCAT, but I don't believe that. Some sections seem to have too much material when others don't have nearly enough. I wish I could afford that $300 study manual that people are raving about, but I can't buy anything too expensive.

Anyways, sorry for rambling. Just figured it would be nice to have support for us retakers! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you listed pharmCAS along with those schools as locations where you want pearson to send your scores then they should've all received your scores by now. You may want to double check and call the schools on Monday.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but some schools may require pharmCAS to send in your new scores. Again, call to get the final word.

pharmCAS should sent out our revised applications with the new scores either tomorrow (03/02) or next Monday (03/09). (pharmCAS mails out stuff every Monday). I have been wrong before so we'll see....

Yeah I called them before and Mercer and VCU NEEDS pharmcas to send it out...thats why I never send the a copy of my scores from Pearsons...
However South is very liberal....they will take a copy from Pearsons and they will even take a FAXED copy from me. So I send one to South from Pearson.
But you are right I need to call the schools NOW so I will know if they have recieved my scores yet or not. I need an interview before all the seats are taken this year.

So you are saying that Pharmcas will mail out the scores on 3/2 or 3/9? God, they are so damn slow its not even funny.

I checked on the UH website and they have received my scores since 2/28. I just don't understand why I haven't gotten it yet. :(

How do I check if South and Campbell have recieved my scores or not? its somewhere on the website??? or is it just UH?

You haven't gotten it yet b/c they haven't sent ours out yet. They send them to PharmCAS and the schools first. We are the last ones to know.

why don't they send everything out at once easier on them and definetly easier on me! :laugh:

UH lets you know if they have received them and UT actually posts your composite and writing score. Although, UT has not posted anything yet.

UH also received my scores as well. Did UT post your scores?
not yet. i'm assuming that they have it. i'm gonna check the website tomorrow to see if they post them. i'll let you know!

Check it out - You can buy your score report online at Pearson. The January scores are available!

Check it out - You can buy your score report online at Pearson. The January scores are available!

Wow didnt know you could check them online...I'm not sure 20 dollars is worth it though :(

edit: especially if you didnt do well!! =( *talk about trying to squeeze every possible penny out of us

I agree that $20 may not be worth it but at this point but I could not wait any longer. I guess I will be the first to post.

Verbal 55% (went down quite a bit from last test)
Biology 94%
Reading 75%
Quant 67%
Chem 88%
Composite 83%

It will do.

I agree that $20 may not be worth it but at this point but I could not wait any longer. I guess I will be the first to post.

Biology 94%
Reading 75%
Quant 67%
Chem 88%
Composite 83%

It will do.

Good job! I would be very happy with that score if it was me. Now I'm COMPLETELY torn! What a racket this whole thing is? Pearson is waiting as long as they can to send out scores so they can get everyone to buy them online!!!! Is this the first time they've offered this option? I would have been fine waiting had I not known about this. Now that I know, I'm dying to know my score but I keep thinking why pay $20 bucks if I might get the scores in the mail tomorrow. Just one more reason added to the list of many why I think this whole PCAT experience is one giant scam!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, knowing me, I would totally pay $20 dollars to see my score. I am super impatient.

83th is an awesome score, good job!

If people who paid $20 statistically got higher scores I would consider it :idea:
BTW, nice score TTUMike. I'll be happy in the 60-75 range.

Last edited:

Biology 94%
Reading 75%
Quant 67%
Chem 88%
Composite 83%

It will do.

Great job! I think i would be happy with something in that range as well :)

i paid for mine to today

24 verbal
81 biology
75 reading
26 quantitative
91 chemistry
65 composite

Verbal and Quantitative Major BUZZ KILL
can someone comment on these numbers and what they think
My gpa = 3.2 and science 3.35

Hey Everyone, couldnt bear the anxiety of waiting so I viewed them from the website.

Verbal Ability 78
Biology 94
Reading Comprehension 57
Quantitaive Ability 92
Chemistry 95
Composite 92

Writing Scores 2.0/2.5

I'm a bit depressed, I won't get get into University of Toronto Pharm school because my writing scores are too low. Well theres always next year..........

i paid for mine to today

24 verbal
81 biology
75 reading
26 quantitative
91 chemistry
65 composite

The 65 composite is not going to look good with that GPA :(

You definitely need to up either your GPA or your PCAT score. You can get by if one of them stands out.

Hi guys,

I too could not resist the temptation to find out my scores immediately:

Verbal Ability 444/95
Biology 440/94
Reading Comprehension 400/45 :eek:
Quantitative Ability 439/92
Chemistry 456/97
Composite 436/95 :thumbup:

Conventions of Language: 3/2.8
Problem Solving: 3/2.8

Preparation:
Kaplan PCAT 2008-2009
Princeton Review MCAT 2008
First year calculus textbook
2 months give or take

Reaction:
This is my first time taking the PCAT. I was very surprised to get the score I did - I thought I had completely bombed Verbal, but it turns out Reading is my weak link. I'm applying to U of Toronto, and they have yet to publish minimum standards for the PCAT, so I am hoping the Reading component will meet their minimum. I don't feel like taking this again, because I have a feeling my second time will be worse.

I went to the registrars office and they stated that you must meet the Minimums for all sections, which they said should be around 65%.

"Hi guys,

I too could not resist the temptation to find out my scores immediately:

Verbal Ability 444/95
Biology 440/94
Reading Comprehension 400/45 :eek:
Quantitative Ability 439/92
Chemistry 456/97
Composite 436/95 :thumbup:

Conventions of Language: 3/2.8
Problem Solving: 3/2.8

Preparation:
Kaplan PCAT 2008-2009
Princeton Review MCAT 2008
First year calculus textbook
2 months give or take

Reaction:
This is my first time taking the PCAT. I was very surprised to get the score I did - I thought I had completely bombed Verbal, but it turns out Reading is my weak link. I'm applying to U of Toronto, and they have yet to publish minimum standards for the PCAT, so I am hoping the Reading component will meet their minimum. I don't feel like taking this again, because I have a feeling my second time will be worse. "

OMG! can someone give me the LINK so I can buy my scores too??? I can't seem to find it. thanks.

OMG! can someone give me the LINK so I can buy my scores too??? I can't seem to find it. thanks.

Go to the official PCAT website and login. Once you do that you will see a link/tab to view past PCAT scores online. Then you can select the January checkbox.

Bah. At least they are more transparent about this than the UTPAT. I don't like how final decisions are made in June.

"Hey Everyone, couldnt bear the anxiety of waiting so I viewed them from the website.

Verbal Ability 78
Biology 94
Reading Comprehension 57
Quantitaive Ability 92
Chemistry 95
Composite 92

Writing Scores 2.0/2.5

I'm a bit depressed, I won't get get into University of Toronto Pharm school because my writing scores are too low. Well theres always next year..........'
"

Looks like we're in the same boat. Cheer up, maybe they will take our other merits into consideration :xf: If not, then its summer school for CHM220 :thumbdown:

i paid for mine to today

24 verbal
81 biology
75 reading
26 quantitative
91 chemistry
65 composite

You probably are going to have to retake to be competitive. The good news is that you can improve math with lots of practice. I didn't get my scores yet but I assume they break it down into subsections. If you are going to retake, do lots and lots of problems in your weakest areas until it becomes second nature. Work on doing them very fast because you need speed in that section.

Verbal is going to be harder to improve. Was your problem vocab or you just didn't know the relationships or the word to fill in? If it is vocab, you could find some word lists and start working on a few words at a time. The problem with that is even if you memorize 200 words, you might see three of those on the exam. It might not be worth the time. If your problem is with the relationships, try finding as many practice problems as you can. Look at other exams too that use those types of questions if you need more practice.

Okay I have found the link! LOL...My verbal is surprisely good (or me:rolleyes:) but my reading is surprising BAD! :(
Here are my scores

Verbal 410/65
Biology440/94
Reading388/20
QA 428/83
Chemistry 439/91
Composite 421/81

I just glad I got that over with. 81 is good enough for an interview at South...so its good enough for me! :D I just HOPE that will overlook my reading score. I can't believe I suck so badly! :rolleyes:

OH my writing is 3.0 score 2.8 mean
3.0 score 2.8 mean

Mean is the average of all test takers? 3.0 is okay I Hope. LOL...:rolleyes:

I agree that this is a scam to squeeze out every dime. If they were going to do this, they might have done something useful and had a quick score option where you can get your results back in two to three weeks. I must admit I'm jealous of those of you who know your scores. I'm hoping mine comes by Friday.

I agree ^^...They seem to return our scores slower than the previous company and charge a rather large fee to view scores online 4 days prior to getting them in the mail.

Just wanted to let you all know that are trying decide if you should buy your scores for $20 - don't do it! I almost did today and then went to the mailbox and there were my scores! I'm in Alabama. I'm not posting mine like some, but I am pleased in that my composite % went up 30% points. Still wish the score was a little higher, but at least I'm in the range I need to be now for an interview at my top school. Bad news, my Bio score went down. Wasn't expecting that. Oh well. So glad to move past this chapter of my life! Good luck to you all!

Currently living in Canada and opting to not buy the online score (know its gonna be crap anyways), so does anyone know if it takes longer for Canadian scores to get here?

I paid the $20 for my scores immediately.

Here are the results:

Verbal 451 97%
Biology 466 99%
ReadingComp 445 95%
Quant 449 96%
Chemistry 426 81%

Composite 447 98%

Used Dr. Collins, Kaplan, CliffsTestPrep 5 Practice tests, McGrawHill PCAT, Schaum's Outlines for College Algebra, Schaum's Outlines for Precalculus.

Second time taking PCAT. Took in June 08, got a 94% composite.

I don't need my prep books anymore. Anyone interested in purchasing these books, please PM me (note, Dr. Collins already sold)

Good luck everyone!

wow...

VA--82
bio--96
RC--69
QA--97
chem-68
comp--92!!!

wow, this is my 3rd time taking it. I had gotten 83 and 89 the first two times. i only retook them because my RC was 35, and shenandoah made me retake it. my verbal and chemistry dropped from their previous scores in the 90s, but wow. im pleased. all i really care about is RC. im glad im not illiterate anymore!

I got my score in the mail today. I went from a 58% composite to a 79%. Doesn't really matter because I got my first acceptance today. :p

Great job everyone :) I can't wait to hear back about mine! I'll let you guys know (unless it's real bad, haha) when I get them in the mail. I'm not paying 20 bucks to get it a couple days earlier ;)

After I started seeing the post that people were paying $20 for their score reports, I broke down and ended up paying for it...I know its a sham, but I just couldn't wait...

Verbal--420/78
Biology--422/81
Reading Comprehension--428/85
Quantitative Ability--400/41 (Not surprised, but actually better than last time (really bombed it in October)
Chemistry--419/73

Composite--418/77

I am very excited! My first time taking it in October I got a 45. I am applying for Fall 2010!

After I started seeing the post that people were paying $20 for their score reports, I broke down and ended up paying for it...I know its a sham, but I just couldn't wait...

Verbal--420/78
Biology--422/81
Reading Comprehension--428/85
Quantitative Ability--400/41 (Not surprised, but actually better than last time (really bombed it in October)
Chemistry--419/73

Composite--418/77

I am very excited! My first time taking it in October I got a 45. I am applying for Fall 2010!

if you don't mind me asking, what did you do differently? my score only went up 5 points. 55 to 60, but i didn't study at all between oct and jan tests. i don't understand how my RC can go from a 70 to a 35....it sucks cause i did better on every other section!

I just got mine in mail today..
English is my 2nd language.
January 2009
Verbal Ability --------------355 - 2:eek::eek:(no, i didnt make any mistake on scranton)
Biology -------------------408- 6:(
Reading Comp. -------------381-18( i thought I did better this time..around 35-40)
Quantitative Ability --------418 - 71:mad::mad:(I AM GOOD AT THIS..look at Oct score)
Chemistry -----------------444-93:love:
Composite ----------------401-45:eek::eek:

Writing 3.0 and 3.0

Ohh man...i dont know what to do...i thought i will get at least 70 this time...but what happened in verbal, bio :confused:...even math and reading...in reading anything above 35 would have been fine..F**K....I am left with nowhere to go..

October 2008
Verbal Ability --------------382 - 20
Biology -------------------405- 56
Reading Comp. -------------374-11
Quantitative Ability --------434-88
Chemistry -----------------401-47
Composite ----------------399-41

Writing 3.0 and 3.0

well after this pcat my my highest score out of the two is as following:
1. verbal- 73, went up from first test
2. Biology- 66, best score from first only got 22 on this one???
3. Reading Comp- 63, went up a lot from first
4. Quant- 52, went up from 9 on first test
5. Chemistry- 19, went down to 12 on this test
writing scores 3.0
problem solving 3.0

I am actually happy since I could not study for the Jan. test with my infant son being born sick (aspiration pneumonia) and not able to breathe on his own. Was very tough with him in hospital ill, 3 year old and I with pneumonia taking breathing treatments and 2 year old with bad cold. First test was just as bad as both my 3 year old and I had pneumonia lol. I'm just now feeling better. Anyway my gpa is 3.82 and fortunately I attend UMKC who doesnt require really high scores so I think Im very competitive if the chemistry is taken out lol. I have not taken organic chemistry only chem 1 and 2. Im almost finished with my ba in chemistry. 1 semester left and ofcourse a summer class of orgo. After this semester my gpa will go up as I have a 99% in calculus and just upper level classes so I will hit the deans list again. my L.O.R. was from the physics director who was also my chem teacher. Hope I did not leave anything out. Anyway what do you think my chances are???

I couldn't wait any longer, so I paid the $20 to get my Score Report. These are my scores:
Verbal - 69
Biology - 85
Reading - 57
Quantitative - 97:D
Chemistry - 95:D
Composite - 9:D
Writing 3/3

I was just wondering if I should be worried with my Verbal and Reading scores. I applied to the University of Toronto. They don't say what there minimum PCAT requirements are. Does anyone know?

Thanks!!

Verbal - 73
Biology - 91
Reading - 80
Quantitative - 89
Chemistry - 91
Composite - 91
Writing 3/3

i mostly took the PCAT on a whim cause I was studying for the MCAT? will these scores be competitive at UNC and other top schools or should I be looking to retake?

Just wanted to let you all know that are trying decide if you should buy your scores for $20 - don't do it! I almost did today and then went to the mailbox and there were my scores! I'm in Alabama. I'm not posting mine like some, but I am pleased in that my composite % went up 30% points. Still wish the score was a little higher, but at least I'm in the range I need to be now for an interview at my top school. Bad news, my Bio score went down. Wasn't expecting that. Oh well. So glad to move past this chapter of my life! Good luck to you all!

Bah I cant even check my mail because my gf has the mailbox key :rolleyes:

Hope its in there!!:xf:

verbal 396/41
biology 391/31 (so unhappy with this, this was all i studied in preparation for this test)
reading 404/52
quant 439/92
chem 444/93
composite 415/73

Overall I think I'm very luck to even have a 73 composite. Am I the only one that did terrible on the biology? Because everyone else seems to be getting 80s and 90s, I didn't think it was hard because I focused on studying that for this test... oh well.

If anyone wants my Kaplan PCAT review book, PM me.

Recieved my scores in the mail:
Verbal 41
Biology 66
Reading 21
Quant 67
Chem 85
Comp 58

Up about 11 from my last composite score. It's an improvement atleast. The Reading comp section killed me. That section has so many questions that seem to have two answers when you're reading it.

If I dont get in, I don't get in. I'm 20, and I have plenty of time left to try and get into pharmacy school. I'll retake for sure in JUne if need be. I have a 3.64 pre-req GPA, and a 3.45 overall. I'm doing OKAY and can improve easily for the next application cycle.

wow...

VA--82
bio--96
RC--69
QA--97
chem-68
comp--92!!!

wow, this is my 3rd time taking it. I had gotten 83 and 89 the first two times. i only retook them because my RC was 35, and shenandoah made me retake it. my verbal and chemistry dropped from their previous scores in the 90s, but wow. im pleased. all i really care about is RC. im glad im not illiterate anymore!

Nice gain on the reading. What did you do differently?

Looks like i am not the only one having trouble with reading comprehension....when i took PCAT for the first time, i went there without studying anything at all...and made a good score on the reading comp, but had to reatake it since my quant was low...I actually practiced and incorporated reading techniques while taking this january pcat and my score went down....geez!!

Last edited:
I just got mine in mail today..
English is my 2nd language.
January 2009
Verbal Ability --------------355 - 2:eek::eek:(no, i didnt make any mistake on scranton)
Biology -------------------408- 6:(
Reading Comp. -------------381-18( i thought I did better this time..around 35-40)
Quantitative Ability --------418 - 71:mad::mad:(I AM GOOD AT THIS..look at Oct score)
Chemistry -----------------444-93:love:
Composite ----------------401-45:eek::eek:

Writing 3.0 and 3.0

Ohh man...i dont know what to do...i thought i will get at least 70 this time...but what happened in verbal, bio :confused:...even math and reading...in reading anything above 35 would have been fine..F**K....I am left with nowhere to go..

October 2008
Verbal Ability --------------382 - 20
Biology -------------------405- 56
Reading Comp. -------------374-11
Quantitative Ability --------434-88
Chemistry -----------------401-47
Composite ----------------399-41

Writing 3.0 and 3.0
a 2? i can't help but chuckle

I got mine in the mail too. I guess I won't be retaking this one.

Verbal 99
Biology 99
Reading Comprehension 92
Quantitative Ability 92
Chemistry 95
Composite 99

Writing 3.0/3.0

That sure didn't feel like a 99.