January 2009 PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Just wanted to get a thread started for those who plan to retake the PCAT in 2009, especially for those of us that are trying to get into pharmacy school for fall 2009 since this is our last shot of getting a good score for this cycle. :scared:

What did you think went wrong, and what do you plan to do differently?

To be honest, I didn't study enough at all. I read through almost the entire Kaplan PCAT book, but I was just reading and not comprehending. I can read a book and if it's really boring, I won't be able to tell you anything right after reading it. I registered for the October test probably a little over 2 months before the test date. I maybe studied 1 month averaging 4-5 hours for the week. I had access to 3 practice tests (2 from the PCAT peeps and 1 from Kaplan), and I only did 1 practice test.

This time around (starting Monday after all the thanksgiving festivities die down) I'm going to spend about 3-4 hours a day studying. I read about 6 chapters a day last time, but I was just reading words, so this time I'm going to only read 2 chapters a day and make sure I really understand the material. I also plan to look for outside material away from this Kaplan book that's not too expensive. It says it has all the material one needs to do well on the PCAT, but I don't believe that. Some sections seem to have too much material when others don't have nearly enough. I wish I could afford that $300 study manual that people are raving about, but I can't buy anything too expensive.

Anyways, sorry for rambling. Just figured it would be nice to have support for us retakers! :D

Members don't see this ad.

VA-60
Bio- 94
RC-57
QA-86
Chem-73
comp-82
writing -2.0/3.0
I'm pretty happy with it, first time taking. I'm a little surprised with my rc and va, I didn't think they were that tough. The only thing that worries me is the writing. 2.0 isn't so good. I feel pretty good though, cumulative gpa is 3.6, science is 3.7+(haven't calculated in awhile, but haven't got a B since last time)

Ya I didnt do well on the writing either 2/2 which means that they graded the second one on my test. I was praying they would grade the first one because my brain was getting tired. I half-assed two paragraphs and took a long break. :p

Ya I didnt do well on the writing either 2/2 which means that they graded the second one on my test. I was praying they would grade the first one because my brain was getting tired. I half-assed two paragraphs and took a long break. :p

I did ****ty on it too, 2/2.5. I only did that bad because I didn't understand the prompt. I knew that was the one going to be graded because my friend took the test the same day and the only essay we had in common was that one. I aced the first essay tho >< too bad they didn't grade that one.

Doesn't U of Michigan say you need a minimum of 3.0 on the writing section? I did bad on my writing section too. Bleh

They do require a 3, but if you address it when you apply (or address it now if you've already applied) then you should be fine. Make them aware that you are a competent writer. I got a 2.5 on my writing section and I got into Michigan.

Members don't see this ad :)
got my scores back, this is 3rd and last time

1st time (old scale)=78 new scale=73
2nd time:60
3rd time:78

SERIOUSLY lol but this is the new scale, so technically i did improve.

should i send an email to the dean of a college i've already had an interview to point out how my chem/bio sections really improved.

so do schools mix together all your best subject scores...I got better in every section on the january test except for I did better in october in math. Will they take my math score from before and lump it together with my scores from the january test?

Thanks for any input.
no they don't take the best per section

so by some Godly intervention, i got this on the january pcat:

verbal: 97
bio: 98
reading: 75
quantitative: 75
chemistry: 95

composite: 96

i don't know what i got on the writing part... maybe a 3/3. my mom read my scores over the phone. i'll have the scoresheet myself by tomorrow, hopefully.

i honestly didn't study that much for it. i studied the McGraw-Hill prep book for about a week before the exam. i took the practice test the day before and shored up some things (especially microbiology and chemistry stuff) that i'd either not learned yet or had forgotten.

i really wasn't expecting anything higher than a 75th percentile... lol several girls in my test-taking room were crying as they turned it in. but i guess everyone else felt as violated and dirty as i did afterwards haha

composite 96? geez...thats awesome..congrats
so i couldn't bare it any longer and decided to purchase my results..i'm in canada....
verbal 89
bio 88
reading comp 63
Quantitative 75
Chemistry 93
composite 89

At the time I wrote it, I considered voiding it...but i'm kinda glad I didn't...

Last edited:
OKAY... I gave in :( and ordered the personal score online

verbal - 69
bio - 98
reading - 63
QA - 97
Chem - 93
Composite - 94
Writing 2/2

GRRR I bet they marked the second essay. My first one was much better. I really hope that they don't weigh heavily on the writing section... T.T.

This was the third time i m taking the test..i really dont understand why i do so bad...i am not going to take this anymore...

Jan 08 Aug 08 Jan 09
Verbal 40 30 41
Biol 55 35 81
Read 9 18 63
Quant 83 52 71
Chem 69 67 58
Comp 47 37 65

Not so sure what to think of it..all of my scores vary so much..its a bad for sure though.:(

I'm pretty surprised to by by score. I studied for about a month before the test. I'm just disappointed with my reading scores. I just hope it dosnt hold me back.

Verbal 95
Biology 85
Reading Comp 86
Quantitative Ability 79
Chemistry 88
Composite 94

Writing 2.0/2.0

Members don't see this ad :)
First time taking the PCAT and I am pleasantly surprised by my score, considering that I only studied like three weeks for it. I was supposed to study over the winter break for it, but you all know what happens >_>.

Verbal Ability - 410 - 65
Biology - 440 - 94
Reading Comprehension - 423 - 80
Quantitative Ability - 454 - 97
Chemistry - 456 - 97
Composite - 437 -95

Writing Score:
Conventions of Language - 2.5
Problem Solving - 3.0

Only thing I'm irked about is my VA and writing score. Does anyone know if pharmacy schools enforce their PCAT cutoffs strictly? I'm applying to U of T, and I think my VA should scrape it, but my writing score is dubious. I'm hoping that they'll look past this blemish, as I've got a pretty solid application besides that (3.92 GPA and 95 Composite PCAT).

At the time I wrote it, I considered voiding it...but...i dunno.. UofT says at least 70% in each section. *sigh*

I applied to U of T too, where did they say that they're looking for 70% in each section? :confused:

Hello all, I am new to these forums!

With regards to wing09, it might possibly be 70% minimum for each section; however, as the site states, it will be dependent on the applicant pool. What is known for sure is that they will be looking at each section and there WILL be a minimum for each section. As well, U of T will be looking at the written section. Given their long history of putting emphasis on the written portion of their (flawed) UTPAT, I am quite certain there will also be a minimum score for this (i suspect 2.8/2.8 as it was the mean written score). Furthermore, this score will likely play a large role on admissions.

I was so anxious to get my score that I ordered it online :(
I think the the score itself is at home as we speak! I didnt want to wait all day T_T

Verbal Ability 73
Biology 98
Reading Comprehension 75
Quantitative Ability 83
Chemistry 77
Composite 89

written portion: 3.0/3.0

I found it strange that I got 75 on the reading comprehension. I swear I got ever answer correct...

I hope everyone here gets in :)
Ive been waiting a long time!

Hey Wing09, how did you know the minimums for U of T is 70%? If that is the case, I am hopeless as my verbal is 69% :(.......

so i couldn't bare it any longer and decided to purchase my results..i'm in canada....
verbal 89
bio 88
reading comp (63 - crap..goodbye U of T..which totally sux, cuz i really wanted to go there)
Quantitative 75
Chemistry 93
composite 89

At the time I wrote it, I considered voiding it...but...i dunno.. UofT says at least 70% in each section. *sigh*

To help avoid unnecessary confusion. On the website, it says you need a minimum of 70% average in all your University courses. As for the PCAT, I called the admissions people and they said, the minimums would be decided when they see the whole application pool.

For myself, I have a 91 composite score, but I scored a 57 in reading and 69 in verbal. I hope this will not affect me getting into UofT, as I also have a high GPA.

To help avoid unnecessary confusion. On the website, it says you need a minimum of 70% average in all your University courses. As for the PCAT, I called the admissions people and they said, the minimums would be decided when they see the whole application pool.

For myself, I have a 91 composite score, but I scored a 57 in reading and 69 in verbal. I hope this will not affect me getting into UofT, as I also have a high GPA.

Thanks for the clarification. I really wants to get into U of T. I have 97 composite score but my RC is 40 which I do not know how I screwed up. (I swear I fully understand every paragraph. BTW I scored 92 in reading section of DAT. I am total lost!)

I knew I got into some schools so I kinda messed up my Jan PCAT and didn't even bother to finish some of the chem/math questions lol. I got a lower score but I can care less now.

I got mine in the mail too. I guess I won't be retaking this one.

Verbal 99
Biology 99
Reading Comprehension 92
Quantitative Ability 92
Chemistry 95
Composite 99

Writing 3.0/3.0

That sure didn't feel like a 99.

Pretty sweet score! I don't understand why I always get horrible score on the reading comprehension when I read and understood every passages and took my time to answer the questions. Is this like a reverse psychology section where you chose the opposite of the right answer or something?

Yay for scores finally!!

Verbal 97
Biology 99
Reading Comprehension 85
Quantitative Ability 57
Chemistry 68
Composite 94

:D:D

I got an 80 composite last time, so I'm very happy!!!

Does anyone know how long it takes PharmCAS to get the scores to your schools? I interviewed at VCU a week and a half ago, so they are considering my application now :scared: I want them to know these new scores!!!

verbal 89
bio 88
reading comp 63
Quantitative 75
Chemistry 93
composite 89

At the time I wrote it, I considered voiding it...but i'm kinda glad I didn't...

Originally, I thought there was a 70% requirement , but after reading other posts about how UofT doesn't know what they're looking for just yet and looking at the website..I realized my mistake, I should've changed my post... - sorry for the confusion everyone! Good luck!

i called some of my schools and it seems pharmcas is mailing the new scores to them by the end of this week. They said they had gotten the new scores for some students though

Verbal Ability: 99
Biology: 99
Reading Comp: 99
Quantitative Ability: 86
Chemistry: 85
Composite: 99
Writing: 3/4

The essay subjects were jokes. On my 2nd essay, I finished soon enough to draw a cartoon on the last half of the page. I hope that didn't count against me.

I was rejected by a school the day after I received my scores. Oh well...

Hi there all Pharmacy applicants,I was wondering if those of you who know the secret of getting a high score in verbal and Reading sections of Pcat,would kindly take sometime and share it with me?
I really appreciate it,I am a non-native English speaker,my English is not bad though,I've also got 2.5 in writing which compared to my RC and V is ok!I have no problem improving the other scores but I really don't know what to do for RC and V.Should I take courses?memorize some words everyday?read more?
Thx everyone

Hi there all Pharmacy applicants,I was wondering if those of you who know the secret of getting a high score in verbal and Reading sections of Pcat,would kindly take sometime and share it with me?
I really appreciate it,I am a non-native English speaker,my English is not bad though,I've also got 2.5 in writing which compared to my RC and V is ok!I have no problem improving the other scores but I really don't know what to do for RC and V.Should I take courses?memorize some words everyday?read more?
Thx everyone

I don't know about any secrets but for the verbal section, you simply have to understand the words in the English language. Just make flash cards and drill yourself during any free time you have, like between classes or even on the can.

Verbal Ability: 55
Biology: 96
Reading Comprehension: 63
Quantitative Ability: 98
Chemistry: 95
Composite: 94

Reading: 3 and 3

...arghh...i only applied to the University of Toronto...don't have high hopes for it, but I'm quite pleased that I got this score since it was higher than what I got in my practice scores.

First time writing... hopefully last time as well... =)

Verbal Ability 65
Biology 96
Reading Comp 75
Quantitative Ability 79
Chemistry 93

Composite 90

VERY happy with my scores, considering I thought I failed (percentile wise) the test... especially the math section, which I ran out of time on and guessed on 10+ questions

Last edited:
I had the same problem with the math section. I remember in my practice tests, this was the only section that I had trouble finishing and I totally forgot that I had to rush when I took the actual test. So my best advice for the math part is to RUSH and skip harder questions.

First time writing... hopefully last time as well... =)

Verbal Ability 65
Biology 96
Reading Comp 75
Quantitative Ability 79
Chemistry 93

Composite 90

VERY happy with my scores, considering I thought I failed (percentile wise) the test... especially the math section, which I ran out of time on and guessed on 10+ questions

Damn man.. I tried the PCAT for the first time yesterday at UofT. ='(.

What a mistake not taking a practice run earlier this year lol. I swear the timer on the practice test ran a little slow because I finished them all in good time but on the real thing yesterday.. :eek:! They called 5 mins when I was like halfway through the chem and quant. Bio and reading were soft for me but the verbal had some extremely obscure words. I saw lots of fobby asian looking people at writing at UofT.. if english isnt your first language, i dont think you stand a chance on the verbal or reading =\.

Also, big mistake not being able to sleep the night before and not eating during the break lol I was friggin dying during the last part.

And then earlier today I got owned in a traffic accident too lol damn my life is owned =\.

Hey again,
About what you said about people whose English is not their first language and not standing a chance in doing well on the English...well I think you might be right. Are you a native English speaker? Is this probably why you could do the verbal and reading comprehension well?
English is not my first language, and I'm thinking of taking an English course to prep me.

Verbal: 86
Biology: 85
Reading Comp: 80
Quantitative Analysis: 98
Chemistry: 97
Composite: 96

Writing: 2/2.5

This was my first time taking the PCAT. I gotta say that reading these forums made me so much more nervous than I should have been. I swear to god that I didn't do as good as I should have. I only studied the week before for bio. I was expecting a range of 70-80 from the messages people were posting. I was so ready to give up on pharm school this semester. I already had advising and my Fall Semester was going to be filled with math classes. My real score totally changed my plans, and now I have a real chance of getting into UGA Pharm school. My GPA is only 3.32 by the way.

Anyway, I should be getting ready for that interview next week.:scared:

Congrats to all on the jan pcat!!!!!!!

Im taking the pcat in june, and any advice you would have for an inexperienced cat like me would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Congrats again.

The 65 composite is not going to look good with that GPA :(

You definitely need to up either your GPA or your PCAT score. You can get by if one of them stands out.

your score 65 is not bad, but its not too competitive either, you will be fine with the GPA but a little boost can never hurt, ive seen people get into pharmacy school with your stats, sometimes even worse than your stats! so dont worry about it when people want you to get a ridiculous GPA or 99 PCAT. Just make sure ur LOR's are awesome, along with ur essay and extracurricular, and pharmacy tech experience!! Some schools, all they care about is GPA, but many schools look for well rounded people!