Jefferson Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who plan to live in one of the Jeff apts, how are you guys going to work your meals/food? ...It's the one thing I never asked when I was there. If you don't have a car, do the students there just pick up groceries every few days from local corner stores or what??? Are they any near 10th & Walnut, I never really took time to notice. Actually, this applies even if you are finding you own apartment in Philly and you don't have a car.

Members don't see this ad.

SJBX said:
For those of you who plan to live in one of the Jeff apts, how are you guys going to work your meals/food? ...It's the one thing I never asked when I was there. If you don't have a car, do the students there just pick up groceries every few days from local corner stores or what??? Are they any near 10th & Walnut, I never really took time to notice. Actually, this applies even if you are finding you own apartment in Philly and you don't have a car.

There are two grocery stores on 10th and South right across from each other--SuperFresh and Whole Foods. If you don't want to walk so far, there is an excellent deli that has tons of stuff right next to Jeff Hall called ServeRite. Then there is the ever popular Wawa on Walnut between 9th and 10th. Get a cart from the hardware store on 10th and you can carry enough to last between exams.

My campus key and social work for my pulse log-in, but not for my e-mail. Do you have to sign up for e-mail? Am I doing something wrong?

Also, does anyone know where I can get information about the prices of housing and an application for it?

Thanks, Chris

Members don't see this ad :)
my campus key works for my email, so maybe something is wrong or your's didn't get activated yet.
The housing info is on the prospective students webpage I think, or you could try searching for residential life, the application should be there as well.

Supadupafly
celticmists18
Yuliya11111
Celestron2000
Mouseman
Pluto6
Burlypie
SJBX
kayw028

hmm, i haven't gotten a health form yet... and by the way, does anyone know anything on the victory housing? i assumed it wasn't available yet, but on their newest housing form online it looks like it is. anyone know when we get housing assignments too? i'm reeeeeeally hoping to get a one bedroom, it'd made life so much simpler!

housing is assigned on this really funked up first come first serve, east-west of the Mississippi system. If you live west of the Miss you get top-top priority. Then they rank you according to when you got your app in. The kicker is that everyone moves out at different time (med students, nursing students, grad students) so the apartments are being vacated from like the end of may until after the beginning of school. Example: I live west of the miss and got my app in mid-Jan. I want a studio apart. Say I was the fourth person to request one. I will get called when (and if) the fourth one is vacated . . . whenever that happens to be. Very bizzare system, and seeing as I'm going to be out of the country for a month it could be VERY interesting!

i wasn't aware of the east-west thing. i guess that makes sense, since being closer, it's easier to find an apt. i guess that doesn't mean guaranteed housing for me even though i turned it in as soon as the forms became available...thanks for the info!

i think the health form is on the prospective students webpage under matriculates.
I hope they send me my housing thing soon, I'm anxious to know.

Is anyone on here on any waitlists? I'm on a couple, I'm not convincing myself that I want to go there because the whole waitlist thing is so stressful, and I really liked Jeff. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

I am on four wait lists and I cant even begin to think about those schools right now because of the stress. It is particularly difficult because my wife is going to be a second year at one of them and it was disappointing to me when I got wait listed there. I liked Jeff alot but if I was accepted at the school my wife attends then I would probably go there. It just sucks that we as applicants have to go through this.

Wow that really sucks, well hopefully since your wife is there they will give you a little added boost.
I'm jsut so happy that I got into Jefferson, going into the whole process I thought that Jeff looked like somewhere that would accept me and that I would like, so I think it turned out well. I just can't help wondering if I don't try to get into either of these other schools if I will regret it later.

kayw028 said:
i wasn't aware of the east-west thing. i guess that makes sense, since being closer, it's easier to find an apt. i guess that doesn't mean guaranteed housing for me even though i turned it in as soon as the forms became available...thanks for the info!

I'm pretty sure that all first years are guaranteed housing, when you get your app in just determines how likely you are to get your preferance. From what I've heard there's plenty of room in Martin, so that's where the overflow goes. Alternatively, if you really want an apartment you can stay on the waitlist and move from Martin to an apartment when one becomes available... not that It'd be much fun to move in the middle of the school year.

Hey, has anyone tried to ask how likely it is that they will get their prefered choice? I'm sure the housing people are getting driven crazy by questions like that. I really don't want to live in Martin, so It would be nice to know as soon as possible if I won't be able to get an appartment so I can start looking in the area, especially since I'm going on vacation for three weeks in the middle of June. I am out west, so maybe that would help...I didn't get my form in until the middle of March though :scared:

rebeclette said:
Hey, has anyone tried to ask how likely it is that they will get their prefered choice? I'm sure the housing people are getting driven crazy by questions like that. I really don't want to live in Martin, so It would be nice to know as soon as possible if I won't be able to get an appartment so I can start looking in the area, especially since I'm going on vacation for three weeks in the middle of June. I am out west, so maybe that would help...I didn't get my form in until the middle of March though :scared:

I think that there are very few studios, so if your application went in in March it's unlikely you would get one. I don't know about the other apartment styles. Because your app was in so late you'll wait longer to hear from them too. If I were you, I would start looking for an apartment, until you actually put money down you could back out and go for the Jeff housing if they give you what you want.

On a totally seperate issue...
Has anyone filled out a form to specify their preference for an advisor/mentor?
Did I miss this? Or is it still comming? :confused: I heard Jeff has a mentor program where they pair you with a physician in an area of your choice...

Members don't see this ad :)
re the housing question: I live out on the west coast, turned my housing application in mid-January and I haven't heard a peep from them. I would suggest that you tell whoever is going to answering your phone while you are away your housing preferences so they can speak for you. Since I am going to be out of the country in june and july my family's lawyer is drawing up papers giving my parents power-of-attorney for that time frame so that they can sign my lease.

re the advisor stuff: I haven't gotten/heard anything about that yet . . .I'm still working on the health form, not looking forward to becoming a human pin cushion. did anyone else actually have the chicken pox?

I keep looking on craigslist and finding good places, but I also think that it might be nice just to live on campus to meet people. I just hope I get apartment-housing because I didn't even mark Martin Residence as an option!

As for being a pincushion...I had chicken pox but will need a titer (or the vaccine!) because I never went to the doctor for it. All the rest of my IZ's, with the exception on my MMR booster at 15 years old and Hep B, are written on an old sheet that my mom herself kept. nothing official at all. I hope they don't make me get everything again! Oy and Hep B I got at two different places...it's going to be a lot work tracking down my vaccines!

Not that this helps, but I just got mail from the housing people saying that they will start offering soon and that they usually are able to grant people one of their top choices. Doesn't really mean anything, but at least they're trying!
On a side note, in addition to craigslist, you can look for apts at http://www.phillyweekly.com/classifieds/reforrent/ - it updates every tuesday and has some really good stuff on there.

So are you saying that some people can move in early June while others may not move in until the end of July? I thought they said on the second look thing that for first years, all the leases start at the end of July. Personally, I don't want to/can't move into the apts. until the last few days of July.

celticmists18 said:
The kicker is that everyone moves out at different time (med students, nursing students, grad students) so the apartments are being vacated from like the end of may until after the beginning of school.

SJBX said:
So are you saying that some people can move in early June while others may not move in until the end of July? I thought they said on the second look thing that for first years, all the leases start at the end of July. Personally, I don't want to/can't move into the apts. until the last few days of July.

I think the people who are made offers earlier can choose to post-pone their move-in date, ie. they could move-in as soon as...

SJBX said:

you are right the leases all start in July, but they can offer you a spot anytime now.

to let you all knw, i got called friday afternoon by housing and offered a 1 bedroom in barringer!! :love: so they've started offering the housing! expect calls soon!

ditto here: second choice 1 bedroom apartment in barringer . . . sounds like we could be neighbors!

when did you hand in your housing forms? They sent me a letter saying that they had everything from me back in april and then they sent me the same letter again last week...

i got those same letters too. then i got the call a day later...
i'm not sure when i turned mine in exactly, it was like 2 days after they first mailed them out. i got it in really early

I got mine in in january . . . keep in mind I'm from the West Coast, so I get a little more priority on housing.

hey all
I'm pasting this here for a friend. Needless to say, it is a nice deal, I would be doing it if I hadn't already signed a yearlong lease. -.- Cheers

Guys,

I figured you guys may be fed up with the massive amount of emails received today, so I purposely decided to wait until after midnight to send you one more...so it wouldn't look quite as bad.

I know some of you may be not be totally squared away with housing for your 2nd year, so I wanted to send all of you this. If you are remotely interested in living in a nice 3 bed room apt near Rittenhouse, give this email a read...2 of my close college friends are looking for a 3rd roommate. Thanks.

Looking for 1 roommate to live in a large 3 bedroom, 2 floor (3rd and 4th
floor) brownstone apt. in beautiful Rittenhouse neighborhood. It is less
than two blocks from the park and some of the nicest restaurants in the
city. Details: Floor 1- bedroom, bathroom, common room, kitchen. Floor 2- 2
bedrooms, walk-on rooftop patio (great view of city). Available room is
spacious (19x12 feet), optimal access to patio. Huge common room already
fully furnished (couch, surround sound, new digital television, DVD player
with big selection of DVDs, TIVO, fireplace, etc). Kitchen with all the
basics (dishwasher, refrigerator, microwave, toaster oven, george foreman
grill, dishes, silverware, etc). All rooms have cable, internet, phone and
tv already setup (no installation fees). Central air & heat, gas oven stove.
Washer and drier in building. Accommodating landlord. Rent $620/month plus
utilities (water and gas is covered in rent) . Lease starts July 1st but you
can move in a week early at no charge. One of the current residents is a
Penn Med student and the other is a Jefferson health policy researcher and
MPH student. No sex preference. If interested, email
[email protected] or call 215-850-2942.

okay, where the hell am I supposed to do my banking?! I've looked online and washington mutual and bank of america have no ATMS is the whole city! My current bank is only out here in the west so I need to move my money, and soon. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

celticmists18 said:
okay, where the hell am I supposed to do my banking?! I've looked online and washington mutual and bank of america have no ATMS is the whole city! My current bank is only out here in the west so I need to move my money, and soon. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Wachovia. I've lived in philadelphia for 4 years and my account is at Wachovia (formerly First Union). As a matter of fact the 76ers play at the Wachovia Center. http://www.wachovia.com/

I think PNC bank may also be in the region.

Hello all,

Just wondering if there are any Class of 2008 Chicagoans. Wanna go halfsies on a moving van?

Another housing listing to spam. PNC has two banks within a block of campus, one by Barringer, and it has several atm's, including the only atm in the building we have classes in. At the same time, Wachovia has a branch which is part of the hospital building, and the atm's are not far away.

If you are looking for a place to live, there are some Drexel medical students
with a room to fill for $585....

One of our roommates backed out in our planned 3 bedroom apt for next year. So we are looking for another roommate. The apt is on Walnut St between 12 & 13, so only one block from your hospital and close to the broad street line.

1221 Walnut St.
Available July 1st

3 bedroom in low rise building
1.5 bathrooms
Central heating & central air
Free washer and dryer in building
Carpeting in bedrooms and hallway
Walking distance to Hahnemann, Old City, Rittenhouse, etc.
1 block from Jefferson Memorial Hospital
Large or small bedroom available

Contact Jeff at [email protected] or call at (516) 297-8959

Where are some good places to buy cheap but durable (will last 4 years) furniture in the Philly area? I don't have the hike that some of you guys have, but it probably will be a lot easier for me to buy stuff once I get there.

so i made the call to pitt this morning - and i'll be seeing all you jeff people in a few weeks!!!! thanks for all your advice. it was the most difficult decision i've ever made, but i'm really happy with it. can't wait to start!! :cool:

Congrats! I don't envy you that decision, it sure sounds like a hard one to me. :scared: Regardless, I'm glad that you feel confident with your decision, one which further validates my own decision for Jeff. ;) :thumbup:

Where can I get the Jefferson health forms? I was looking for them on the web this morning but couldnt find them. I have a physical set for Thurday and need to get those in.

Also, DOES Jeff have a comprehensive exam at the end of first year?

ForensicPath said:
Just got in off the waitlist, so bump...

Yay! That's awesome for you!!!!!! I'm so glad you got what you wanted. See you in August...

ForensicPath said:
Just got in off the waitlist, so bump...

kayw028 said:
...i'll be seeing all you jeff people in a few weeks!!!! ...can't wait to start!! :cool:

YYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone remember the name of the apartment complex across the street from the hospital? I was going to use campus housing but now my wife is moving with me so we need a nice apartment. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

W222 said:
Does anyone remember the name of the apartment complex across the street from the hospital? I was going to use campus housing but now my wife is moving with me so we need a nice apartment. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I think there is an apartment complex really close called Victory Apartments or something like that. It's new, but I think it's a little pricey. If you don't mind being a few blocks away, check out the Rittenhouse Square area.

ForensicPath said:
I think there is an apartment complex really close called Victory Apartments or something like that. It's new, but I think it's a little pricey. If you don't mind being a few blocks away, check out the Rittenhouse Square area.

I thought Jefferson owns Victory Apartments - I think it was mentioned in the housing leaflets, along with Barringer, Orlowitz, and Martin as on-campus housing. W222, I'll ask my sister if there's an apartment complex across from the hospital (she went to Jefferson), and I'll get back to you by PM or something.

W222 said:

There are plenty of vacant apts available around the jefferson area. Just take a little time to look around. It feels as if the apt market is in somewhat of a slump also. Depending on where you are from, don't get your hopes too high on a "nice" apt. I was used to new west coast homes and was in a shock when I moved into the city. Most are very old converted rowhomes. You get used to it though and start to enjoy the city.

Here's some of the resources I used when apartment hunting:
http://www.4wallsinphilly.com/centercity.htm

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/classifieds/reforrent/

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/

I was lucky in that I had a free 3 weeks between my graduation and the end of my lease in philly before I had to come home to long island. I was going to live in center city even if I did end up at Drexel, so I found a place that was equal distance from both Hahnemann hospital and Jeff. The apartments in the rowhomes will probably be a little less money, but they offer less than the complexes (doorman, utilities incl., fitness center, etc..).

Oh, and believe me, be thankful that philadelphia is nowhere near as expensive as NYC, or Long Island for that matter.

W222 said:

You're probably thinking about the Ben Franklin House.

Here's a link: http://www.4wallsinphilly.com/cc/ben/ben.htm

It's a bit pricey but the apartments are big and it's very safe.

Hey all!
I just noticed that the form for clinical mentor preference is now on the matriculants web page! Was this here before? :confused: I don't think so and I haven't been contacted about it, but there's an address to send the form too...
Anyways, just thought all of you might like to know. One of the students that I spoke with when I interviewed had a wonderful experience with this program. :thumbup:

Thanks for the info about the clinical mentor program. I'm not sure what I'm going to put down yet.

Found out I got my first choice for housing this week - a 1 BR in Orlowitz.
They told me the lease would start July 24 - Is this the same date for all first years at Jefferson?

SJBX said:
Thanks for the info about the clinical mentor program. I'm not sure what I'm going to put down yet.

Found out I got my first choice for housing this week - a 1 BR in Orlowitz.
They told me the lease would start July 24 - Is this the same date for all first years at Jefferson?

I got a 1br in orlowitz as well. My lease doesn't start until the 28th though, which sucks b/c i wanted to move my stuff in asap.

I got a 2 bedroom to share (with whom I don't know yet...scary. But with my finances...) in Barringer. I haven't gotten my paperwork yet, but for those of you who know when your lease starts, was it what you requested on your housing form? I was a dork and said August 1 on the form, not realizing that I might want to get settled first.

Any clues?

hey all,
so what is/has everyone been up to this summer. hopefully some fun. lets hear those stories!
personally, I have been in italy for the last two weeks. Started in Venice, then headed to the Cinque Terre . . . absolutely gorgeous! Then to Pisa, Lucca and I am now in Florence. Will be leaving tomorrow for Siena, San Gimignano, Rome, Sorrento, Isle of Capri, Pompeii, Salerno, and Positano!

is it really true that jefferson asks for you SAT scores? I've lost those long time ago