Jefferson vs. BID vs. Northwestern vs. Yale vs. BU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanyonTree

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on how to rank these programs? I don't really have any preference with regards to location...

Members don't see this ad.

You'll probably have more luck if you set your question up as choices between two options, e.g. Jefferson vs. BU, or BID vs. Yale.

Anyone can make up an order for you, but very few people have real insight into five different programs. Better luck with two.

Reactions: 1 user
Jefferson BID BU Yale

Edit: missed northwestern. They're #1 by a mile

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
For diagnostic radiology I'd go: BID, Jefferson, NW, Yale, BU (top 4 are solid, I like BU the least)

Thanks for all the responses! To those who said that NW is better - any particular reasons why? I really liked the program, but I'm from the NE so I'm worried about finding a job back here after fellowship.

Well, if we're going to play that game, then for diagnostics

(Jefferson = NW = BID) > Yale > BU

IR is a different story, which I'll let others speak to, but I think NW would much ahead of the others.

Yale would actually rank higher than NW for IR if we're strictly talking about producing the most well trained fellow. Yale, NW, BID are all great IR programs. Don't know much about Jefferson.

Yale would actually rank higher than NW for IR if we're strictly talking about producing the most well trained fellow. Yale, NW, BID are all great IR programs. Don't know much about Jefferson.

I 1000% disagree. Yale IR has some well known names but they are not considered a great training program for IR. Northwestern >>>> Yale, Jefferson >>>> BID

Agree to disagree. I base my opinion from personally knowing and working with Interventionalists from both Yale and Northwestern. Yale has produced some of the best interventionalists I know. Of course the NW grads were also quite skilled.

This is a great example to all future applicants on just how varied people's opinions can be regarding IR training. When in doubt everyone should ultimately choose a program that best suits their needs/end goals. My big worry in the change from IR Fellowship to Residency is if a 25 year old has the foresight to understand these goals.

Yale historically had a very busy IR fellowship and also the fellows did the gamut of interventions including complex aortic and peripheral vascular interventions. However, it is in flux as there has been change in leadership with Geschwind and Kevin Kim and some leadership changes in vascular surgery, so I am not sure what the status of their vascular training is currently.

Northwestern has Salem and Lewandowski who are world renown interventional oncologists and Salem spearheaded Y90 treatment for liver cancer. Many of the premiere IO programs (Northwestern, Hopkins, Penn) were historically weak in PAD training. U Penn has made great strides in improving PAD training with Tim Clark coming back and Watts who was at the VA. So, Penn has now made that a relative strength.

If you look at Chicago programs the scope and breadth of Rush is quite impressive with Arslan and Turba really expanding the PAD intervention and being involved in some element of a wound care clinic.

Those trainees contemplating IR , should do their homework and look at the scope and also the breadth of procedures. Volume may be misleading as you could do 10 or more piccs in a day, but only 4 or 5 TACE procedures or 2 to max 3 EVAR aortic cases in a day.

We get it. You're a Rush trainee or current attending. But you don't need to put a plug in for Rush in every post.

Yale historically had a very busy IR fellowship and also the fellows did the gamut of interventions including complex aortic and peripheral vascular interventions. However, it is in flux as there has been change in leadership with Geschwind and Kevin Kim and some leadership changes in vascular surgery, so I am not sure what the status of their vascular training is currently.

Northwestern has Salem and Lewandowski who are world renown interventional oncologists and Salem spearheaded Y90 treatment for liver cancer. Many of the premiere IO programs (Northwestern, Hopkins, Penn) were historically weak in PAD training. U Penn has made great strides in improving PAD training with Tim Clark coming back and Watts who was at the VA. So, Penn has now made that a relative strength.

If you look at Chicago programs the scope and breadth of Rush is quite impressive with Arslan and Turba really expanding the PAD intervention and being involved in some element of a wound care clinic.

Those trainees contemplating IR , should do their homework and look at the scope and also the breadth of procedures. Volume may be misleading as you could do 10 or more piccs in a day, but only 4 or 5 TACE procedures or 2 to max 3 EVAR aortic cases in a day.