Jefferson vs. George Washington vs. Robert Wood Johnson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenfield

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to decide between the three schools. I really liked all three schools, but I especially liked Jefferson and GW for the location. I am a resident of NJ and tuition will be cheaper at RWJ (although I'm not sure how financial aid works out in this situation). Can anybody give me some pros and cons of these schools? Between GW and Jefferson, which has a better reputation and whose students do better on the USMLE's and on residency match?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ha i posted pretty much the same thing a week ago (Jeff Vs. Robert Wood)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=392616

I'm leaning towards Robert Wood. I go to Georgetown and talked with a bunch of profs at Gtown med and they pretty much told me there is little difference between Robert Wood and Jefferson reputation wise. (To quote one Doctor "It's not like your deciding between them and Harvard") They pretty much all told me to go to Robert Wood because it's a lot (atleast $70,000!) cheaper.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jefferson!

GWU is waaaaayyyyyy expensive especially if you can go to RWJ or Jeff. The cost of living is also very high, phila can be too. I say RWJ. Not the coolest city in the world, but affordable and so is the school! Congrats!

GWU is waaaaayyyyyy expensive especially if you can go to RWJ or Jeff. The cost of living is also very high, phila can be too. I say RWJ. Not the coolest city in the world, but affordable and so is the school! Congrats!

jefferson..hands down

I need to decide between the three schools. I really liked all three schools, but I especially liked Jefferson and GW for the location. I am a resident of NJ and tuition will be cheaper at RWJ (although I'm not sure how financial aid works out in this situation). Can anybody give me some pros and cons of these schools? Between GW and Jefferson, which has a better reputation and whose students do better on the USMLE's and on residency match?

Thanks!

did you dislike rwj? if you can see yourself there, then it's probably the best choice just because of the huge tuition difference. i turned down a MUCH cheaper state school for gw last year. but, that was because i very strongly disliked the state school. even then, it was a tough decision. so, unless you really can't stand rwj, then that is my vote.

as for jefferson vs gw, i think both schools have a very similar reputation. i know quite a number of people in my class who turned down jefferson for gw, and a friend of mine at jefferson said he has friends there that turned down gw. not that that really says anything. i will not vote for one vs the other simply because i don't know anything about jefferson other than the fact that it supposedly has the largest class size of any medical school (and that could be both a positive and negative thing).

usmle scores are largely dependent on the students themselves and not the schools. and, for the most part, residency placements are complicated by too many factors to really be useful, especially for someone who's not even in medical school yet. this is obviously just my opinion, but if it comes down to gw vs jefferson (or, if the rwj tuition difference is not a concern), then think about a) which school you felt the most comfortable at and b) which location you liked the best. i know there's not a lot of time before you have to decide, but if possible, you can always try visiting the schools. i know some of my friends have been asked to show around students considering gw. i'm sure jefferson could do the same thing for you.

if you're still having trouble think more specifically - are you interested in certain things (international exp, research exp, etc)? do they have ample opportunities for those things at these schools? are there certain aspects of the curricula at these schools that you like in particular? aspects that fit your study habits, lifestyle better?

in any case, i'll offer my assistance in answering any questions you might have about gw. hopefully a jefferson student can do the same.

sorry for this long post and for not being able to vote for one vs. the other. hopefully it was helpful. i really can't stand when people just say "school x!" and don't give any reasoning for it. that's about as useless as not posting at all. best of luck! :thumbup:

as for jefferson vs gw, i think both schools have a very similar reputation. i know quite a number of people in my class who turned down jefferson for gw, and a friend of mine at jefferson said he has friends there that turned down gw. not that that really says anything. i will not vote for one vs the other simply because i don't know anything about jefferson other than the fact that it supposedly has the largest class size of any medical school (and that could be both a positive and negative thing).

usmle scores are largely dependent on the students themselves and not the schools. and, for the most part, residency placements are complicated by too many factors to really be useful, especially for someone who's not even in medical school yet. this is obviously just my opinion, but if it comes down to gw vs jefferson (or, if the rwj tuition difference is not a concern), then think about a) which school you felt the most comfortable at and b) which location you liked the best. i know there's not a lot of time before you have to decide, but if possible, you can always try visiting the schools. i know some of my friends have been asked to show around students considering gw. i'm sure jefferson could do the same thing for you.

if you're still having trouble think more specifically - are you interested in certain things (international exp, research exp, etc)? do they have ample opportunities for those things at these schools? are there certain aspects of the curricula at these schools that you like in particular? aspects that fit your study habits, lifestyle better?

in any case, i'll offer my assistance in answering any questions you might have about gw. hopefully a jefferson student can do the same.

sorry for this long post and for not being able to vote for one vs. the other. hopefully it was helpful. i really can't stand when people just say "school x!" and don't give any reasoning for it. that's about as useless as not posting at all. best of luck! :thumbup:

Wow - this is such a great, objective, balanced post!! :) :thumbup:

I go to Jefferson, so if you have any questions, I can try to help answer.

I agree with everything said - it really is largely a personal decision in most cases.