Jet's Carotid Case

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a good case for my resident colleagues out there. Managing this scenerio wrong and your sphincter tone won't accept a ten-penny nail:

72 year old female PMH CAD S/P stents X 2 two years ago (no recent cardiac problems), HTN, undergoing a left carotid endarterectomy. Induction uneventful, case uneventful. She's breathing on her own now, as the surgeon is just a few minutes from completing the operation. You're ready for extubation as soon as the drapes come down. Volatile agent is off and she is just a few minutes from awakening.

Surgeon finishes, snaps off his gown&gloves, leaves to go take care of something in the ICU.

Scrub-tech is putting on the bandage.

You're ready to pull the tube so reflexively you glance at the neck first....something doesnt look right....asymmetry...hmmmmmm....so you ask the scrub tech to remove the bandage. The left side of the neck DEFINITELY looks asymmetric to the right side....definitely more swollen than you're used to seeing at the end of carotid surgery.

Patient opens her eyes.

WHATS YOUR NEXT STEP? WHAT ARE YOU THINKING????

Members don't see this ad.

Bleeding from the reanastamosis site. Put patient under right away, place pressure on the site and call in the surgeon to reopen.

Well of course I would.........

I'll wait for some of the underclassmen to answer.:D

Members don't see this ad :)
i think i'd page my attending (still a resident) and then emergently page the surgery attending. as long as VS stable i'd be ready to go back to sleep if necessary. if VS not stable i would do whatever appropriate treatment to stabilize her. depending on EBL and amount of IVF given in OR i may start giving fluids/albumin/blood as indicated, judiciously of course.

i wouldn't put her back to sleep unless surgeon came back in room, evaluated, and planned to operate right then. but i wouldn't take her to pacu until he could re-evaluate.

btw, i'm assuming no drain in neck?

Bleeding from the reanastamosis site. Put patient under right away, place pressure on the site and call in the surgeon to reopen.

agree. leave the tube in b/c dont want to risk losing the airway. i would push a little prop to get her back under right away and turn the gasses back on.

I'd think twice about pulling the tube. How asymetric?... Is it getting bigger? Is it pulsitile? trachea pushed over?... Let the surgeon know. Is the vent telling you anything new (peak pressures up at all?) I'd give her a little propofol and think for a minute.

My thoughts are thusly:

If the patient is bleeding from the site they could bleed out PDQ so if there is blood available, now might be a good time to call for it.

Back to sleep for her! Since I'm figuring there's a good chance they're going to have to open her up again let's slap a BIS on (if it wasn't already) keep her out but not paralyzed, in the event that we don't operate.

Perhaps hit her with some Iso + Nitrous and a little Fentanyl until we figure out the next step...

i wouldn't put her back to sleep unless surgeon came back in room, evaluated, and planned to operate right then. but i wouldn't take her to pacu until he could re-evaluate.

You're alone, your attending hasnt shown up yet, nor has the surgeon.

Pt is now wide awake grabbing for the tube, BP is 200/100 on the A-line.

What now?

propofol, propofol, propofol.... put her down and continue GA. She's probably making her new buldge bigger!

BP has to come down - hit her with some Esmolol.
Losing the airway would suck. Keep her restrained, tubed and knock her out: 50 fentanyl. 10 propofol. GA.

Tell the surgeon and the attending to quit screwing around. :D

You're alone, your attending hasnt shown up yet, nor has the surgeon.

What now?

Tube stays in, propofol goes in, and if you're kahones are big enough cut the stitches before you're expanding hematoma causes real damage (I'm thinking tracheal compression, cranial nerve injury, and of course the carotid itself and its slightly more important downstream component the brain.)

Tube stays in, propofol goes in, and if you're kahones are big enough cut the stitches before you're expanding hematoma causes real damage (I'm thinking tracheal compression, cranial nerve injury, and of course the carotid itself and its slightly more important downstream component the brain.)

cutting the stitches would also be part of my ideal plan, but right now im training in pennsylvania, which seems to have a ridicuously horrible litigionous system which makes me worry more about this than i probably should. For the attendings in the croud, would this be a really bad idea from a liability standpoint?

I'm questionable about opening her up myself - cuz that leaves no one to provide Anesthesia, plus it might speed up her bleeding... mmmm?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're kahones are big enough cut the stitches before you're expanding hematoma causes real damage

Bad idea unless you are also capable of getting proximal and distal control of the bleeding. Right now you have a bleed in a confined space. It will tamponade off and the only real risk is loss of the airway, which your tube prevents.

Is that really the ONLY risk though? You know she has CAD, but we don't know how bad her right carotid is, she could be having cerebral ischemia... Plus the mass effect could be causing local ischemia.

Get the surgeon in stat. If that can't happen wheel her to ct or shoot some dye intra-op to further assess. Check for a horner's.

I wonder if getting a bis on ea. side of the head (for comparison) would show anything if she is having ongoing ischemia.

Is that really the ONLY risk though? You know she has CAD, but we don't know how bad her right carotid is, she could be having cerebral ischemia... Plus the mass effect could be causing local ischemia.

a) Her systolic pressure is 200. It is unlikely that the blood has pressurized the compartment to that degre, ergo blood is still flowing
b) She just underwent a period of ischemia when the carotid was clamped. people generally tolerate that well. Stokes after a carotid, when they happen, are almost always embolic and not the watershed infartcts you'd expect from ischemia.
c) If you open to control the bleeding you will either have to gain proximal and distal control or simply hold pressure to stop the bleeding. Both of these will occlude the carotid anyway
d) Once you open, the previously pressurized and partially tamponaded bleed now has no resistance and much more blood will be diverted from the brain.

Local ischemia is not an issue. Soft tissue does not infarct that quick.

It would be a REALLY bad idea from a patient care standpoint.

lets not forget our ABC's folks. if that hematoma compromises the airway, the stitches need to go, b/c hypoxia is going to kill her first before blood loss. if im not passing any air into the lungs and sats are dropping, i would be very tempted to cut

ABC's, aye.

Now about that BP...200's SBP isn't good, and it's gonna make the hematoma ever larger. However, before you drop it, let's keep in mind that CBF is now going to be dependent on the single carotid. Did this pt require shunting? Was it done electively?

Worst would be to bring the blood pressure down with meds, open the stitiches, lose control of the bleeding, and not have a hand free to do anything about the ever worsening hypotension.

ABC's, aye.

Worst would be to bring the blood pressure down with meds, open the stitiches, lose control of the bleeding, and not have a hand free to do anything about the ever worsening hypotension.

thats when you recruit you trusty OR tech /scrub nurse. Hold plenty of pressure to wound mam/sir !

but then again, this is totally hypothetical, dont think i would actually do this because bad as it sounds - if the outcome is bad, dont know what kind of career i would have left

Here's a good case for my resident colleagues out there. Managing this scenerio wrong and your sphincter tone won't accept a ten-penny nail:

72 year old female PMH CAD S/P stents X 2 two years ago (no recent cardiac problems), HTN, undergoing a left carotid endarterectomy. Induction uneventful, case uneventful. She's breathing on her own now, as the surgeon is just a few minutes from completing the operation. You're ready for extubation as soon as the drapes come down. Volatile agent is off and she is just a few minutes from awakening.

Surgeon finishes, snaps off his gown&gloves, leaves to go take care of something in the ICU.

Scrub-tech is putting on the bandage.

You're ready to pull the tube so reflexively you glance at the neck first....something doesnt look right....asymmetry...hmmmmmm....so you ask the scrub tech to remove the bandage. The left side of the neck DEFINITELY looks asymmetric to the right side....definitely more swollen than you're used to seeing at the end of carotid surgery.

Patient opens her eyes.

WHATS YOUR NEXT STEP? WHAT ARE YOU THINKING????

Back to sleep with propofol, gas, whatever is available. Lose the tube here and youre in some serious poopie.

One word: awesome!

As a med student, I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about (okay maybe a little bit) but this kind of scenario is really interesting!

Definitely a specialty I'd like to keep in mind! (That being said, I can also see myself flipping out should something like this occur. :oops: )

Interested in seeing the actual answer to this case!

lets not forget our ABC's folks. if that hematoma compromises the airway, the stitches need to go, b/c hypoxia is going to kill her first before blood loss. if im not passing any air into the lungs and sats are dropping, i would be very tempted to cut

The tube is still in. The hematoma won't occlude the tube.

If the tube is out and you cannot intubate, cannot ventilate, that's an ENTIRELY different situation in which case, yes, you do whatever is necessary to secure the airway.

The tube is still in. The hematoma won't occlude the tube.

If the tube is out and you cannot intubate, cannot ventilate, that's an ENTIRELY different situation in which case, yes, you do whatever is necessary to secure the airway.

I've seen a patient lose his airway with a tube in...when someone dilated the carotid with a 8.5 fr introducer......Patient died like a dog ....with the ETT in place.

I've seen a patient lose his airway with a tube in...when someone dilated the carotid with a 8.5 fr introducer......Patient died like a dog ....with the ETT in place.

There are a few complications that I live in fear of, that is definitely one of them:eek:

Serious question:

Would you recommend an anesthesiologist opening the neck on a postop CEA to prevent tube compression?

Nice responses. Very nice.

I posted this case because carotid surgery is very common in private practice. You'll do many.

Most of them end uneventfully. But there are pitfalls to the surgery that can back your ass into a corner really fast.

Just like a pilot has a pre-landing checklist before the wheels hit the pavement, you should have a pre-I'm-gonna-pull-the-ETT-outta-this-carotid-lady checklist in your head.

Get into the habit of looking at the neck before you pull the tube because if you spot something that looks atypical you have just prevented a potential catastrophe.

Wanna get really compulsive? Let the air down in the ETT cuff and make sure the patient is exchanging air around it. This is a good trick for any case where you're a little concerned about extubation....like a thoracic fusion 4 hours long with alotta crystalloid administered with the puffy face and sclera....put the cuff down and make sure you hear exchange before pulling the snorkel. If the cuff is down and you don't hear anything with the patient spontaneously ventilating, uhhhh, that ain't good. Give the patient a big breath with the cuff still down. If you just delivered a positive pressure breath with no leak, that really aint good. Too much laryngeal edema. Tube stays in.

In this scenerio as you all said, DON'T PULL THE TUBE. Dudette has a hematoma that probably requires re-exploration......this one did....I've seen a few small ones that did not.

Patient is awake now...ya gotta put her down again. This is a biz as you all know that a single problem can be handled a hundred different ways, but I like Sevo et al's answer....propofol will accomplish putting her to sleep again and because of it's rapid redistribution, if the surgeon decides it doesnt require re-exploration, no big deal. She'll be awake in a few minutes. I hit her with 50mg and then a little more, then we ended up doing the whole deal since re-exploration was required. Additionally, propofol will handle the hypertensive response as well, albeit temporarily, which is what you need at this point.

I've only seen one post-carotid hematoma opened at the bedside and it was in the PACU. I personally wouldnt open it in this scenerio since a patent airway-via-ETT was at hand and the surgeon was in house. The situation would have to be dire for me to open the incision. This was not dire.

So remember to check the neck before you extubate a carotid. Thats the main message here. Do it EVERY time. And don't extubate if something looks funny.

Nothing you can do at this point if ischemia is happening from the hematoma except reoperate..and as far as a non-surgeon opening the neck....remember risk/benefit ratio....whats the risk of bleeding if you open the now-tamponaded leak? Pretty high. Whats the risk of ischemia from the hematoma? Pretty low........like someone said earlier ischemia from the hematoma usually isnt a factor....remember the carotid was clamped about an hour previously and not all surgeons use shunts...

Nice responses.

What now?

So I can see why Propofol is a good choice being as how it'll eliminate her consciousness and decrease her BP, while being relatively short-lived. My question is would it decrease it enough and would you have some esmolol ready? I've see Esmolol used to decrease similar BPs, and it has the same benefits of having high distribution and elimination half-lives... :confused:

So I can see why Propofol is a good choice being as how it'll eliminate her consciousness and decrease her BP, while being relatively short-lived. My question is would it decrease it enough and would you have some esmolol ready? I've see Esmolol used to decrease similar BPs, and it has the same benefits of having high distribution and elimination half-lives... :confused:

Esmolol is a good thought, but you've gotta put her back to sleep as well....albeit temporarily......and propofol can accomplish both at the same time.....unconsciousness and BP control.

Not wrong by any means. Personally I'd try the propofol first though.

Serious question:

Would you recommend an anesthesiologist opening the neck on a postop CEA to prevent tube compression?

One other anesthesiologist and I opened a post op thyroid that was bleeding VERY quickly while we waited for the surgeon to return.

One other anesthesiologist and I opened a post op thyroid that was bleeding VERY quickly while we waited for the surgeon to return.

I was actually going to post that once the carotid issue was resolved.

Similar situation, except patient extubated in PACU. Patient had non-carotid surgery - thyroid, parathyroid, etc. Neck is distended, patient becoming stridorous - what do you do?

I was actually going to post that once the carotid issue was resolved.

Similar situation, except patient extubated in PACU. Patient had non-carotid surgery - thyroid, parathyroid, etc. Neck is distended, patient becoming stridorous - what do you do?

The above thyroid case I mentioned was in the PACU.

I medically treated the patient....meds to slow her airflow and positive pressure ventilation ...while the other guy opened her neck....while we got the OR ready for her emergency trach.......

She had a known difficult a/w...I DL'ed one time....no view....ENT placed trach in 15 seconds.

She survived intact...I anesthetized her again 5 months later for her trach scar revision.

Never been in the situation, but my logic is that if they are becoming stridorous they're becoming obstructed. If they're becoming obstructed they might lose the airway soon. That gives us two options: reinforce the airway or relieve the obstruction. Since relieving the obstruction requires us to slice open the throat and that will likely require going back to the OR anyway tubing sounds like the plan.

Probably wise to have more than just ye olde Laryngoscope, including a bougie and some smaller tubes in the event that you can't get the bigger ones down. The possibility of a cric or jet ventilation is in the back of my mind.

That gives us two options: reinforce the airway or relieve the obstruction.

In this case, doing either is reasonable. You are very unlikely to encounter hemodynamically significant bleeding after non-vascular neck surgery. Urgently opening the neck in the pacu, on the floor, etc is a good solution to prevent loss of an airway. After a carotid, you'd only open after you lost the airway.

Another key point: put them on 100% 02 immediately at any sign of airway compromise. (i.e. preoxygenate them)

The above thyroid case I mentioned was in the PACU.

I medically treated the patient....meds to slow her airflow and positive pressure ventilation ...while the other guy opened her neck....while we got the OR ready for her emergency trach.......

She had a known difficult a/w...I DL'ed one time....no view....ENT placed trach in 15 seconds.

She survived intact...I anesthetized her again 5 months later for her trach scar revision.

Sounds like you made a good choice and helped the patient. What about an intubated post-CEA? Should you routinely open those necks prophylactically to prevent tube compression?

Sounds like you made a good choice and helped the patient. What about an intubated post-CEA? Should you routinely open those necks prophylactically to prevent tube compression?

I don't think so.

Jet et al.

GREAT case and discussion. This alone can serve as example on why we (medical students and residents) need the anesthesiology forum left alone.

Thanks. Keep 'em coming!

dc

I have always learned to check the neck before extubating.

At this one place that I work, we actually do CEA's with LMA's, so a non-protected airway, what do you think of that guys? It actually works quite well during emergence, because they don't buck very much, but in a situation like the one you presented, an LMA would not be very helpful.

Along the same lines - a 70 year old patient s/p CEA for about 15 minutes in the PACU, starts have increased output from her drain - she is bleeding. She is laying flat and not stridorous and surgeon wants to take her back to the OR - how do you induce?

At this one place that I work, we actually do CEA's with LMA's, so a non-protected airway, what do you think of that guys? It actually works quite well during emergence, because they don't buck very much, but in a situation like the one you presented, an LMA would not be very helpful.

Nope - LMA would never enter my mind.

We actually do some of ours with local and MAC. Works great, except for one time where the careless surgeon injected local with epi directly into the carotid artery - VERY impressive BP's and seizure!

Leave tube in. sorry mr surgeon.

midazolam

nitro drip for afterload assuming EEG dude ain't crappen his pants.

Esmolol drip/labetolol to control reflex tachy,

MAP goal >65 less than 100.

Howdy paralytic.

Off to CT scanner.

I have always learned to check the neck before extubating.

Along the same lines - a 70 year old patient s/p CEA for about 15 minutes in the PACU, starts have increased output from her drain - she is bleeding. She is laying flat and not stridorous and surgeon wants to take her back to the OR - how do you induce?

I have been trying to do this with one of my surgeons but he's not coming around.

The problem with LMA's is the edema of the airway. This doesn't occur during the case but it does occur frequently when you bring these pts back for bleeding. I would tube a bring back carotid. When to tube the bring back is another issue. If their is airway deviation but the pt is maintaining his airway and sats then I would have the surgeon open the incision and remove the clots. Then stop for a minute to allow me to put a tube in. This will remove the counter pressure which is causing the deviation of the airway. The problem comes after removing hte clots and repairing the leak. The tissue becomes very edematous in the neck and will frequently obstruct the pts airway. I would plan on overnight intubation or at least a few hrs. Then as Jet said, drop the cuff and check for a leak. The longer the bleeding has been going on the worse the edema (the ones in the middle of the night suck). I posted a case some time back which dealt with this exact thing. Basically we did the evacuation (pt was about hrs post-op) awake with very little sedation. The surgeon opened the neck then removed the clots for what felt like forever. He then found the bleeder and repaired it. It was not very painful to the pt because the the initial incision had already been made and this was blunt debridement (fingers mostly). After the bleeder was fixed and the neck was closed with a drain in place we were ready to go to the PACU. The pt began to obstruct and desat. He was obviously struggling. Crna attempts to intubate (I was out of the room) and called for me. Crna couldn't see anything and I walked in with sats in the 70's (pts, not mine). I had paralyzed the pt for max relaxation and proceeded to put a tube in the only dark shadow that I could see. I got lucky. Pt remained intubated over night and was extubated the following day. When I took a look, the soft tissue surrounding the airway was so edematous that nothing looked familiar and I was surprised the pt was breathing at all b/4 he obstructed. Its possible that the crna didn't appreciate the change in resp effort or tone while the case was going on but I wasn't there. Granted, I was very close since I had a trauma in another room and was checking on them but this whole case took less than 30 minutes.

Nope - LMA would never enter my mind.

We actually do some of ours with local and MAC. Works great, except for one time where the careless surgeon injected local with epi directly into the carotid artery - VERY impressive BP's and seizure!

Yeah.... start with superficial cervical plexus block (watch out for the external jug)- then move to deep block after you get to the room and run some ketafol. Can monitor neuro and need for shunt with MAC/block. Although I have to say... there is a feeling of protection with a tube in place. I'd want a tube rather than an LMA.

Great case Jet.

Laurel brings up a scenerio more important than the discussion thus far.

So far, we've been talking about what to do about a problem with a carotid with the tube still in.

A problem with a post-op carotid who is already extubated puts you in a perilous situation. You need The Force to bring this patient to the OR, induce them and reestablish a secure airway.

Can't emphasize this enough.

Stridorous or not, this could get ugly. Really ugly.

Remove all distractions from your mind and focus cuz this is about as bad of a scenerio as you can imagine.

I once had an alternator failure in a single engine airplane (C-210) after climbing through a five-thousand-foot-thick, widespread, dense-but-smooth cloud layer to clear skies above....I knew I had about thirty minutes to get below the layer in order to reduce my chance of becoming a lawn dart....it was mostly 4000 ft overcast below so I knew I had some room underneath.....it was either that or fly endlessly, hoping for VFR weather somewhere amidst the huge front-induced-cloud-layer.....I put the re-inducing a carotid-case on the same level of concern as my alternator failure.

Read Noy's post again. I've been there too, Noy. Twice.

Even if some of the pressure has been relieved by opening the suture line, the anatomy is going to look distorted. Be prepared for that. Don't expect to put the blade in and see two pearly-white vocal cords. Aint gonna happen. You're gonna see a swollen, distorted mess and you're gonna have to try and identify where the tube needs to go based on experience.

Knowing that in advance, have an array of tools available. Blades, bougie, whatever makes you feel comfortable. Some may consider an awake fiberoptic but not being able to identify anything while looking into an edematous mess will make this very challenging.

Remember what Noy said?......"I got lucky....", he said, referring to getting the tube in....I wouldnt call it luck, but point being even very experienced anesthesiologists are challenged by this scenerio. I felt the same way in both ugly-bring-back-CEAs I've been involved in.

You are crossing into no-man's land no matter how you handle this patient. If you induce with say, propofol and decide to try a non-paralyzed-awake look your conditions won't be optimized, you'll be looking into an edematous mess with very little time. If you induce and paralyze and cant intubate youre screwed. If you do an awake intubation your scope-skills must be deft and time is short. If you decide to try and do it under local the airway could be lost at any second.

No matter how you do it, the common denominator is you have very little time. You gotta get the tube in and get it in quick. Or if under local be prepared to spring into action in a millisecond.

My preference would be to find the cricothyroid membrane before doing anything and marking it with a sharpie with the trusty jet ventilator setup ready to rock. If you're really concerned and you've got time, heck, call the ENT dude, tell him the scenerio, and plead with him to come stand in the room in case something goes awry. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable and do whatever you can to prepare in advance.

Anyway, I'd have the jet-ventilator ready, propofol 100mg or less, sux 40-60 mg. Boom. I've crossed into no-mans land. BOOM. The clock is ticking.

Hopefully I have The Force.

Blade goes in. Search for something you can identify. Something big, like epiglottis. Use your right hand-on-the-Adam's-apple-trick to move the larynx left and right while looking for the "black hole" as Noy accurately described it. Cuz thats what the laryngeal opening will resemble now. A little black hole. Not a nice opening with cords on either side like youre used to seeing.

Lets say you intubate...hook up....uh oh....no ETCO2....esophagus.....leave the tube in the esophagus and have someone hand you another one. Don't look up. Keep looking in. The esophageal ETT will now show you where not to go. Look higher. Look laterally. Keep manipulating the larynx with your right hand.

If you're unsuccessful, hopefully you can ventilate. Your induction meds will wear off quickly, but remember they're gonna wear off quickly and return you back to an ugly, stridorous situation.

Get to a point where you can't ventilate? Stick the crich with a big angiocath. Easier said than done in this scenerio.

Or revert to whatever your backup plan is....your ENT friend, or whatever you've planned.

There is no right answer on how to handle this scenerio. There are acceptable ways to handle it. As Mil has previously said in many posts, the "right" answer is the one that works.

I want to impress on all of you that this is one of the most concerning scenerios you will come upon as an anesthesiologist.

Tread carefully, have a plan and a backup plan, and yield The Force.

Since the discussion opened up to already extubated CEAs, I would like to share the following scenario. Of everything I've seen thus far, this was BY FAR the most sphincter tightening time and had everyone's attention. All people involved should have ingested coal that morning and DeBeers would have paid us all a good check at the end of the day.

A female patient, approx mid 50s and somewhat overweight, had a L CEA performed at around late morning and was in the PACU by 1145. I was not a part of the origional case. Since no beds were available, she was still in PACU by the time I came on for call at 1500. I finished one of my cases and was snooping around PACU at around 1900. I round the corner and hear a RN say "Take a deep breath". This female now has a sat in the upper 80s and honestly looks as if she swallowed a 2 year old. She is semi-reclined with a SFM on. Her entire neck is swollen and not just a localized swelling at the op site. This goes back to what Military said on one of his cases similar to this.....Increasing the work of breathing causes further collapse. The RN said just prior to this, her breathing became more laborous.
Ask one of the nurses to call the boardrunner and get them to give 2mg versed in DD. Once she relaxes, she is an easy ventilation with an Ambu bag. Sats up to 100%. I was more going with her as far as ventilation and sofly talking rather than actual forceful ventilation. Looking at her neck again, it is genearlized swelling so much that the underlying structures are difficult to even palpate.
Boardrunner MD arrives and surgeon is paged. Sats still 100%. Boardrunner wants to intubate in OR. He leaves for a second and another MD arrives and wants to intubate now in PACU. I ask the anesthesia tech to bring the Glidescope. Told I get one shot at this. Propofol and anectine in....Put in GS and eveyone's head kinda cocks to the side because it looks....fluffy is best word I can describe. The entire airway looks like one of those canopy beds with the canopy billowing down with gravity. NO structures immediately recognizable. Looks like one entire edamatous mess. After a second for manipulation, we all see two tiny hints of shadows in the far upper righthand corner of the screen. If any of you have worked with the GS, if the best you can do is see structures in the upper portion of the screen, traditional DL is gonna almost be impossible.
Attempt to thread the bougie and is unsuccessful. One of our best MDs is right there at the head and tells me to let him have at it. I know some of you will think this is amusing, but just bear with me. He attempts the GS again with the bougie. Come out and bag, minimal air movement. Surgeon at BS and starts opening neck on left side. MD tries metal MAC 3 and 4, then Miller 2 and 3. Unsuccessful. Surgeon is now into the neck and finds no real tamponade or clots. MD comes back out and bags...Tries the GS again. Airway is worse that my view with GS due to repeat attempts. Same two hints of shadows in the upper right corner again. He forces a styletted, lubricated with KY #6 cuffed ETT, twisting it like a screwdriver the whole time. Boom..He's in.

OR prepped and we roll. Steroids and ABX given. Pt indeed stays on a #6 tube for the night and meets all extubation criteria with regards to airway swelling the next day.

Surgeon states he found a small amount of blood but doesn't have an answer as to why the entire neck was swollen to the extent that it was. Our MD stays it is some type of airway reaction.

I missed 3 intubations my last year. This was one of them. Being a level 1, you think you kinda see it all sometimes. I honestly thought this lady was gonna die right there in PACU, esp after the MD used all the blades available and goes back to the GS. Surgeon and 4 board certified anesthesia attendings are swearing. Hands down the worst airway I have ever seen and longest 7 minutes of my life.

Jet et al.

GREAT case and discussion. This alone can serve as example on why we (medical students and residents) need the anesthesiology forum left alone.

Thanks. Keep 'em coming!

dc

this is a very informative thread, and also has none of the nonsense that brought attention to this forum from moderators in the first place... saying it's an example for being left alone is like asking for a pat on the back when you're going about your normal business.