Jewish Medical Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat's Meow

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I know that there are a lot of medical schools out there such as Georgetown and NYMC that have religious ties to the Catholic church.

Does anyone know of any "Jewish" medical schools? I know of AECOM and MSSM, but are these schools Jewish? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Sinai's Jewish? I had no idea.

Pembleton said:
Sinai's Jewish? I had no idea.

Yes it is.

But I think you are being sarcastic.

I am asking if MSSM is managed by a synagogue or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
fruit fly said:
In my opinion (and I'm Jewish, if that matters...) Jews, a lot of the time, are the first to sell eachother out. They'd rather have anything but a Jew.

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to say here :confused: :confused: :confused: .

Cat's Meow said:
Yes it is.

But I think you are being sarcastic.

I am asking if MSSM is managed by a synagogue or something.

I think you misinterpreted me. I wasn't being sarcastic. Sorry.

I was just surprised because I applied there and there was no indication of that whatsoever on their website.

Cat's Meow said:
I am not exactly sure what you are trying to say here :confused: :confused: :confused: .

Means that that star in your avatar and a token will get you on the subway!

fruit fly said:
There's no such thing as a "Jewish" med school. They aren't really into Judaism at any of these places. They just have Jewish names and benefactors.
In my opinion (and I'm Jewish, if that matters...) Jews, a lot of the time, are the first to sell eachother out. They'd rather have anything but a Jew.

Actually not true. AECOM is part of Yeshiva University, a decidedly Jewish school (where I happened to go undergrad). It is definitely a Jewish school, but totally welcoming to all sorts of people. They do not have school on the major Jewish holidays, for example. They have a larger population of Orthodox Jewish students than any other school. Their library is not open on Saturday. It happens to also be a great school!

tigress said:
Actually not true. AECOM is part of Yeshiva University, a decidedly Jewish school (where I happened to go undergrad). It is definitely a Jewish school, but totally welcoming to all sorts of people. They do not have school on the major Jewish holidays, for example. They have a larger population of Orthodox Jewish students than any other school. Their library is not open on Saturday. It happens to also be a great school!

Pardon me on AECOM, then.

I worked with a few people who went to YU and they were cool guys. I wasn't really sure, though, if their medical school had the same affiliations...

I know that YU is in Manhattan and AECOM is in the Bronx. I've seen YU before. Never went in though. I was working at the time.

fruit fly said:
Means that that star in your avatar and a token will get you on the subway!

Still, I don't know what you are saying. Seriously :confused: ?

fruit fly said:
Pardon me on AECOM, then.

I worked with a few people who went to YU and they were cool guys. I wasn't really sure, though, if their medical school had the same affiliations...

Hey I like the quote in your signature :)

Cat's Meow said:
Still, I don't know what you are saying. Seriously :confused: ?

Nevermind, carry on! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Cat's Meow said:
No--please tell me! I am really curious. :)

Basically, that it's all up to the individual and that nothing will come easy, when it comes to schools, religion, etc. :thumbup:

Want Jews? Go to an ivy league. UPENN where I go for undergrad 30 percent Jewish (def JewPENN) I'm pretty sure other schools are the same. I know Columbia is anyways.

sinai isnt a "jewish" med school. it was originally founded as the Jews hospital so it has strong ties to the jewish community.
they have this special elevator even, where it stops at every floor on sabbath so the orthos dont have to push any buttons or something
but its not jewish in the same way AECOM is

what is the point of this thread? What the heck is a jewish med school? religion plays no part in MSSM or einstein admission yes einstein is affiliated with yeshivah university but an italian or hispanic guy with better gpa and MCAT is going to gain admission over the jewish guy with lower numbers (besides how do they know you are jewish anyway??). The reasons there may seem to be more jews at einstein is because jews go to YU which is affiliated with the school. Just like a guy who goes to drexel university and has good numbers may have an easier time getting into drexel med. I just don't see what this thread is asking

jiy76 said:
what is the point of this thread? What the heck is a jewish med school? religion plays no part in MSSM or einstein admission yes einstein is affiliated with yeshivah university but an italian or hispanic guy with better gpa and MCAT is going to gain admission over the jewish guy with lower numbers (besides how do they know you are jewish anyway??). The reasons there may seem to be more jews at einstein is because jews go to YU which is affiliated with the school. Just like a guy who goes to drexel university and has good numbers may have an easier time getting into drexel med. I just don't see what this thread is asking

Well, the question isn't admissions, it's once you're in the school. If you celebrate the Jewish holidays, like I do, going to most med schools is a bit difficult because you miss a bunch of days from the holidays, and it's hard to catch up (my husband had this prob). So a school like Einstein is very understanding, doesn't have school on the holidays, is helpful toward people with children because it's common among religious Jews to have children early, etc. So yes, this is a legitimate issue.

Also, there are more Jews at Einstein for these reasons. From what I've seen, students from YU undergrad aren't much more likely than anybody else to get into Einstein. AECOM itself claims there's absolutely no favoritism; I wouldn't go that far, but I'd definitely say there's not much.

ok that's true i see your point but when someone says jewish school it sounds like non jews are not favored or not as highly regarded which isn't true.

tigress said:
Well, the question isn't admissions, it's once you're in the school. If you celebrate the Jewish holidays, like I do, going to most med schools is a bit difficult because you miss a bunch of days from the holidays, and it's hard to catch up (my husband had this prob). So a school like Einstein is very understanding, doesn't have school on the holidays, is helpful toward people with children because it's common among religious Jews to have children early, etc. So yes, this is a legitimate issue.

Also, there are more Jews at Einstein for these reasons. From what I've seen, students from YU undergrad aren't much more likely than anybody else to get into Einstein. AECOM itself claims there's absolutely no favoritism; I wouldn't go that far, but I'd definitely say there's not much.

That's pretty cool :) .

But what about students of other faiths? For example, there are a lot of Muslim people who fast during Ramadan, but they do not receive the same consideration :( .

jiy76 said:

Don't hate :( :mad: :thumbdown:

Cat's Meow said:
That's pretty cool :) .

But what about students of other faiths? For example, there are a lot of Muslim people who fast during Ramadan, but they do not receive the same consideration :( .
more evidence that you're are a muslim and only acting like a Jew (using a star of david avatar) to be able to attack jews without being called an anti-semite. dude, this is a mature board and for the most part we're discussing serious topics. can you take your jew-bashing to another forums please.
thanks,
very_long_john

Long_John said:
more evidence that you're are a muslim and only acting like a Jew (using a star of david avatar) to be able to attack jews without being called an anti-semite. dude, this is a mature board and for the most part we're discussing serious topics. can you take your jew-bashing to another forums please.
thanks,
very_long_john

:eek: :eek: :eek:

What a jerk!!!

You need to check yourself. You really are stupid and pathetic. So a white person who sympathizes with blacks' civil rights struggles must be black? And a German Christian who sympathizes with Holocaust victims must be a Jew?

Just because I recognize the the concerns of another group other than Jews, then I am not Jewish? You really are a major-league a**hole and I hope that you never become my doctor, you judgemental fool.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Long_John said:
thanks,
very_long_john

And where did I do any Jew-bashing, you ***** :mad: .

I hope someone farts on your face :laugh: .

I am interested in applying to AECOM, MSSM, but I am Christian. Does anyone know if they are amenable to Christian holidays as well? Come to think of it, is ANY medical school?

My sister went to a largely Jewish law school and she was really unhappy that they held class on Good Friday. Is this the case with AECOM, MSSM, and is it the case with non-Jewish schools?

I'm asking because in college (it wasn't Jewish either), we never got Good Friday or anything off, but the neither did we get off on Passover, so...

Also, forgive my ignorance, but if Passover overlaps with Good Friday/Easter, that isn't an issue. I remember that happens sometimes, but I'm not sure its the case every year.

there would be med. schools that have breaks on Ramadan if there were Islamic affiliated med schools until then stop complaining. These medical schools were started with money from Jewish foundations because the Jewish world felt like they were being left out from the medical world at the time. If you feel such an offense to MUslims not having Ramdan off, feel free to start a Muslim affiliated school. Until then you have no right to complain.

Cat's Meow said:
And where did I do any Jew-bashing, you ***** :mad: .

I hope someone farts on your face :laugh: .
you're a fake and anyone with half a brain knows it. posting a 'happy chanukah' thread when chanukah hadnt even started???? i cant believe you still try to play your little game as acting like a jew then bashing on israel as a racist country. as a jew, I find your behavior incredibly condescending.
p.s. if I ever do treat you as a doctor, I might castrate you (accidentally of course ;) ;) ;) ) so you cant produce any more kitten's meow who would go around bashing on the great state of israel

Also, Touro University ( D.O schools) have a Jewish affiliation.

Not to enter a religious debate, but Ramadan is a month long! Also, not even in Muslim countries do they take time off. It is a fast anyway, so they can celebrate the religious parts and feasting in the evening and work during the day, which is what is in fact done in Muslim countries.

I see no problem giving them two extra days, just to be PC, like Eid al Fitr and Eid al Bayram, but a month is way too much...

texaninphilly said:
Want Jews? Go to an ivy league. UPENN where I go for undergrad 30 percent Jewish (def JewPENN) I'm pretty sure other schools are the same. I know Columbia is anyways.

Ya know, the med school doesn't really observe Jewish holidays. Often they have to show up for alot of them and/or make up work for what they miss, despite it being a religious holiday. At least you'll get a hard time if there's anything required, if not makeup work.

Neuronix said:
Ya know, the med school doesn't really observe Jewish holidays. Often they have to show up for alot of them and/or make up work for what they miss, despite it being a religious holiday. At least you'll get a hard time if there's anything required, if not makeup work.

Heck, we didn't even get Labor Day off during law school at GULC (at least when I attended), which kind of sucked. Professional schools tend to run on completely separate schedules from undergrad institutions.

Long_John said:
you're a fake and anyone with half a brain knows it. posting a 'happy chanukah' thread when chanukah hadnt even started???? i cant believe you still try to play your little game as acting like a jew then bashing on israel as a racist country. as a jew, I find your behavior incredibly condescending.
p.s. if I ever do treat you as a doctor, I might castrate you (accidentally of course ;) ;) ;) ) so you cant produce any more kitten's meow who would go around bashing on the great state of israel

Look who's talking. You're the half-brain, you dimwit. You got personal, and so will I.

You seem to be racist, narrow-minded jerk to me. I don't know if you're Jewish or if you've been to Israel, but just because one criticizes Israel, that does not make her an anti-semite. You use fallacious reasoning here, and you must recognize that some of Israel's hardest critics are JEWISH human rights groups. To blindly support all Israeli policy would be unJewish, as Muslim terrorists are unIslamic.

And about my Hanukkah thread: when was it wrong to wish someone a happy holiday before it actually happens? I wish a Happy New Year and Merry Christmas to all my friends even though these events are still to come.

And BTW, I am a gal. So about castration: I hope that YOU never reproduce, because intolerant individuals like you make this world a bad place. I pray for the safety of the patients that will come under your pathetic care.

If you do not feel that you can answer my original post, get off this thread, *****.

mercaptovizadeh said:
Not to enter a religious debate, but Ramadan is a month long! Also, not even in Muslim countries do they take time off. It is a fast anyway, so they can celebrate the religious parts and feasting in the evening and work during the day, which is what is in fact done in Muslim countries.

I see no problem giving them two extra days, just to be PC, like Eid al Fitr and Eid al Bayram, but a month is way too much...

Yes, I agree. I had many friends who cannot go to their Eid events because they sometime fall on weekdays. That's pretty unfortunate :( .

I think many schools need to be receptive to the religious concerns of their students.

So, at AECOM and MSSM, are all days of Hanukkah off?

Cat's Meow said:
Yes, I agree. I had many friends who cannot go to their Eid events because they sometime fall on weekdays. That's pretty unfortunate :( .

I think many schools need to be receptive to the religious concerns of their students.

So, at AECOM and MSSM, are all days of Hanukkah off?

From what I have heard, Chanukkah is nowhere nearly as important as certain other holidays, like Yom Kippur or Pesach. I've actually heard its importance in America was somewhat magnified because Jewish kids were glum during the Christmas season.

Cat's Meow said:
Look who's talking. You're the half-brain, you dimwit. You got personal, and so will I.

You seem to be racist, narrow-minded jerk to me. I don't know if you're Jewish or if you've been to Israel, but just because one criticizes Israel, that does not make her an anti-semite. You use fallacious reasoning here, and you must recognize that some of Israel's hardest critics are JEWISH human rights groups. To blindly support all Israeli policy would be unJewish, as Muslim terrorists are unIslamic.

And about my Hanukkah thread: when was it wrong to wish someone a happy holiday before it actually happens? I wish a Happy New Year and Merry Christmas to all my friends even though these events are still to come.

And BTW, I am a gal. So about castration: I hope that YOU never reproduce, because intolerant individuals like you make this world a bad place. I pray for the safety of the patients that will come under your pathetic care.

If you do not feel that you can answer my original post, get off this thread, *****.
oh so you're a *****'s meow :D :D :D purrrrrrrrrrrr.
the thing is you're not a jew. anyone who reads your posts knows it. i have no problem with you criticizing israel as long as you're honest. Being decietful and acting like a jew to criticize israel so you'll get a free pass is crossing the line though.

Long_John said:
oh so you're a *****'s meow :D :D :D purrrrrrrrrrrr.
the thing is you're not a jew. anyone who reads your posts knows it. i have no problem with you criticizing israel as long as you're honest. Being decietful and acting like a jew to criticize israel so you'll get a free pass is crossing the line though.

You probably surround yourself with Jews who absolutely agree with you on every issue, and when someone doesn't agree, you cry "imposter" and "anti-semite." Really mature :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Grow up, baby. Not all Jews will share the same opinions as you.

Cat's Meow said:
You probably surround yourself with Jews who absolutely agree with you on every issue, and when someone doesn't agree, you cry "imposter" and "anti-semite." Really mature :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Grow up, baby. Not all Jews will share the same opinions as you.
you're not a jew though, *****. you're a muslim. explaining why you take such special interest in whether a med school takes days off for ramadan? or about how you know about every single palestinian who ever broke a nail in the stuggle against the 'zionest entity' (most likely when they picked up a rock to throw at israeli citizens during prayer.

Long_John said:
you're not a jew though, *****. you're a muslim. explaining why you take such special interest in whether a med school takes days off for ramadan? or about how you know about every single palestinian who ever broke a nail in the stuggle against the 'zionest entity' (most likely when they picked up a rock to throw at israeli citizens during prayer.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There you go again!!! You look so stupid.

I am not going to start on this whole issue, but methinks you are a troll!

Long_John said:

And why do you have such a problem with Muslims and Palestinians???

Jeez.

Back to my original post: at some schools, Catholic tradition in part of the currciculum and is a visible part of the medical school. Is this at all true for AECOM and MSSM?

i know better. i should stay out. but please stop arguing by anecdote long john.

It would be impossible to determine if cat meow is Jewish or not. I don't think there is any point to that question. Rather maybe we should focus on the merit of an argument rather than impulsive intolerance towards opinions based solely on anecdotal evidence.

after all doctors do use their brains to make decisions?

fever5 said:
i know better. i should stay out. but please stop arguing by anecdote long john.

It would be impossible to determine if cat meow is Jewish or not. I don't think there is any point to that question. Rather maybe we should focus on the merit of an argument rather than impulsive intolerance towards opinions based solely on anecdotal evidence.

after all doctors do use their brains to make decisions?

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks for being logical!

BTW-I am Jewish. I shouldn't have to prove this, and neither should Long John (but I consider him to possibly be a troll).

and yes I may have taken a troll's bait, but I think my underlying message is maturity, which even a troll should subscribe to. :D

sadly even jerks get into medicine...

Cat's Meow said:
Back to my original post: at some schools, Catholic tradition in part of the currciculum and is a visible part of the medical school. Is this at all true for AECOM and MSSM?
Perhaps the best thing to do is to contact the schools and ask. From the previous posts, it appears there is some uncertainty on SDN of AECOM and MSSM's affiliation.

fever5 said:
and yes I may have taken a troll's bait, but I think my underlying message is maturity, which even a troll should subscribe to. :D

sadly even jerks get into medicine...

True. Jerks can be found everywhere in life--on these threads and even in medicine :mad: . Kinda scary sometimes :scared: .

But it nice to see rational people (like you) out there as well :) .

Thanks and :luck: :luck: :luck: to you.

p.s. if I ever do treat you as a doctor, I might castrate you (accidentally of course

Wow... can we shut this thread down? Threats of physical violence are way, way, way over the line. Where have all the mods gone?

dopaminophile said:
Wow... can we shut this thread down? Threats of physical violence are way, way, way over the line. Where have all the mods gone?

That Long John guy totally destroyed this thread :(

What a meanie! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

texaninphilly said:

yeah, but columbia is in NYC, so it should be a lot more expected considering there are a ton of us in the metro area. of course, with a lot of UPenn coming from the area, I would think that they're heavily Jewish too.

I go to einstein. we have some major jewish holidays off, the food on campus is kosher, there's no favoritism in regard to race or creed in admissions (Einstein forbade this, part of the terms of the foundation of the school). I'm sure there are shabbat elevators on campus for the main buildings, but I never noticed. shama-shabat Jews (observe saturday holidays) are given rooms on lower floors so they don't have to climb too many stairs on shabbat. gym and library are closed saturday until evening, and closed friday evenings.

I am not sure about Cat's Meow's religious beliefs, but I could easily have problems believing her to be Jewish or Muslim. I've never heard of Jews and Muslims ever having Hanukah or Ramadan off from school. Hanukah, as any Jew should know, is an extremely minor holiday (fun, though) that requires no celebration during the day. Ramadan has fasting during the day for a month, but that is not horribly strenuous, celebrating is during the nights, and Muslims are supposed to be introspective and on their best behavior. I've never heard of it causing people to get off from school except for the last day of it (forget the name).

kapnut said:
Also, Touro University ( D.O schools) have a Jewish affiliation.

True. Touro has colleges in NYC that are attended by many Jews. It has a real Jewish connection. I heard about their DO school from an orthodox man. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.