Job Prospects for Different Specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in medical school right now and am curious about something. I would love to (after residency, I don't care where I complete residency) move back to my hometown of San Diego when I graduate in order to be back around family. I understand that certain places are impacted when it comes to how many jobs are available for doctors. Are there certain specialties that are more prone to having this impact on them? For example, would it be tougher for a EM doc to land a job in San Diego than a surgeon? Also, does anyone know if DO's would have a tougher time in the San Diego area than MD's?

Members don't see this ad.

no one knows how the job market will be 10 years down the line (when you finish all your training). so do what you like to do, im sure you can find a job somewhere, at least within 1 hr of where you really want to be

Reactions: 1 users
I guess I would add to this that if you are really good at what you do, it's a lot easier to find someone to pay you to do it.

Won't guarantee your first choice job, but will undoubtedly give you better choices.

Also, I've seen posters say that residency connections are very helpful when finding jobs post graduation.

So don't completely ignore geography when making residency choices.

I have a feeling in San Diego, many job markets might be saturated even now. If geography is paramount, people often compromise in other departments when choosing a job (eg salary). If you wanted a more informed answer, you could research the current job market for MDs in your desired location. (Doesn't do much for the 10 yr predictions, but at least you know what things look like now..)

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I would add to this that if you are really good at what you do, it's a lot easier to find someone to pay you to do it.

Won't guarantee your first choice job, but will undoubtedly give you better choices.

Also, I've seen posters say that residency connections are very helpful when finding jobs post graduation.

So don't completely ignore geography when making residency choices.

I have a feeling in San Diego, many job markets might be saturated even now. If geography is paramount, people often compromise in other departments when choosing a job (eg salary). If you wanted a more informed answer, you could research the current job market for MDs in your desired location. (Doesn't do much for the 10 yr predictions, but at least you know what things look like now..)

This is what I was thinking. I know that if I were to practice in Kansas City area, I wouldn't have to sacrifice salary and/or housing costs, but then I would be across the country from family. If I moved to SD, I feel like I would make much less AND have to pay 3x more for housing.

Well, like I said, you could investigate the current job market in SD. It will be different in 10 yrs.

I wouldn't base your entire career on this, but at least you can make an informed decision.

It might motivate you to be super frugal now so that finances are less constraining in the future.
Even in a "poorly" reimbursed specialty like peds, if you have no (or little) debt and are happy to live within your means, it is totally doable.

First world problems, right!?!

Reactions: 1 user
This is what I was thinking. I know that if I were to practice in Kansas City area, I wouldn't have to sacrifice salary and/or housing costs, but then I would be across the country from family. If I moved to SD, I feel like I would make much less AND have to pay 3x more for housing.
How much is Kansas City housing? SD housing isn't EXTREMELY expensive.. definitely cheaper compared to SF/NY/LA.

I'm in the same boat as you -- I would love to go back to SD for residency/practice

How much is Kansas City housing? SD housing isn't EXTREMELY expensive.. definitely cheaper compared to SF/NY/LA.

I'm in the same boat as you -- I would love to go back to SD for residency/practice

You can get a house for 3-4x cheaper in KC than in SD.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I am in medical school right now and am curious about something. I would love to (after residency, I don't care where I complete residency) move back to my hometown of San Diego when I graduate in order to be back around family. I understand that certain places are impacted when it comes to how many jobs are available for doctors. Are there certain specialties that are more prone to having this impact on them? For example, would it be tougher for a EM doc to land a job in San Diego than a surgeon? Also, does anyone know if DO's would have a tougher time in the San Diego area than MD's?
Do NOT make a career choice based primarily on what will make it easier for you to move back to San Diego.

That said, generally the less competitive fields are less prone to suffer from saturation problems due to the high demand for their services (FM, psych, general IM).

Do NOT make a career choice based primarily on what will make it easier for you to move back to San Diego.

That said, generally the less competitive fields are less prone to suffer from saturation problems due to the high demand for their services (FM, psych, general IM).
I wouldn't make a career choice based on that...I was just curious.

Generally, SoCal is off the market for EM. I doubt it will change drastically in a decade. Even with decline compensation, ppl will still move there for the lifestyle and weather. I believe that you can still get a job via networking by going to residency there, take a look at KP EM and UCSD EM.

no one knows how the job market will be 10 years down the line (when you finish all your training). so do what you like to do, im sure you can find a job somewhere, at least within 1 hr of where you really want to be

I'm m2, planning on doing 3 year residency so only 5 years out for me. Anyway ^^ as for your comment,

Pathology- will still suck, has sucked for the last 30 years they have been saying the "Cliff is coming" for 30 years. Just too many graduates and not enough jobs, is the carrib school of specialties, everybody going into path thinks they are going to be the one to get a job.

Primary care- would still be able to get a job anywhere, American graduates to arrogant to go into it

Rads- getting like Path

Anes- As of now they are holding off the CRNAs pretty well

EM- huge shortage now, will still be good 10 years from now

Surgeries- always in demand

Psych- American Graduates too arrogant for psych, jobs will be around

Derm, ent, optho, uro etc- all the specialties that have protected their fields by keeping numbers low will be in demand

Also a San Diego native here. M1 right now and dying to go back. I just love it too much to have to stay away for another ten years. Don't know what I'm going to specialize in, but if I have to start out with lesser pay than working in the midwest, then so be it. I heard some places with less competition will pay a diagnostic radiologist close to 500k. I highly doubt that happens as a starting salary for anyone in San Diego. You probably won't even get a job without a fellowship. But at the same time, if I got paid 250k and lived in San Diego, I could be completely fine with it. Guess it all depends on your priorities. I'm not sure what specialities have good job markets in SD (other than some of the obvious ones like family medicine,etc). Interested to know myself

I'm m2, planning on doing 3 year residency so only 5 years out for me. Anyway ^^ as for your comment,

Pathology- will still suck, has sucked for the last 30 years they have been saying the "Cliff is coming" for 30 years. Just too many graduates and not enough jobs, is the carrib school of specialties, everybody going into path thinks they are going to be the one to get a job.

Primary care- would still be able to get a job anywhere, American graduates to arrogant to go into it

Rads- getting like Path

Derm, ent, optho, uro etc- all the specialties that have protected their fields by keeping numbers low will be in demand

Some of this post is correct; other parts of it are grossly oversimplified. Derm is solid no matter where you go, but ophtho is saturated in the larger cities, and it's not unheard of to have a starting salary in the 5-digit range. I'm also not convinced that Diagnostic Rads is as bad as you make it out to be. Of course, the caveat is that the default is now to do at least one fellowship.

• Dislike
Members don't see this ad :)
5 digit ophthy salary!!! Wow. I had no idea.
Regardless, I don't know how wise it is to rely on med students on SDN for job market research. I would supplement with some real-life information. Good luck.

• Dislike
Some of this post is correct; other parts of it are grossly oversimplified. Derm is solid no matter where you go, but ophtho is saturated in the larger cities, and it's not unheard of to have a starting salary in the 5-digit range. I'm also not convinced that Diagnostic Rads is as bad as you make it out to be. Of course, the caveat is that the default is now to do at least one fellowship.
Is that fellowship only for San Diego or are you talking in general?

Is that fellowship only for San Diego or are you talking in general?

Students going for Radiology in general assume that they will be doing at least one fellowship. It's become a very subspecialized field.

Students going for Radiology in general assume that they will be doing at least one fellowship. It's become a very subspecialized field.
While you are right most Diagnostic rads do at least 1 fellowship, whether it be MSK, NR, whatever it is. A lot of radiologists do private practice due to the great number of private imaging centers in the US, especially in metro areas. My dad is technically a general radiologist, but he is expected to read scans from all of the subspecialties within radiology at the same caliber as fellowship trained radiologists. Although he is as good now since he has been doing it for 30 years and is an expert at this point, it really depends on academic vs private. Even within private, if you are IR trained for example, you are still expected to read DR with the same efficacy that a general rads does.

While you are right most Diagnostic rads do at least 1 fellowship, whether it be MSK, NR, whatever it is. A lot of radiologists do private practice due to the great number of private imaging centers in the US, especially in metro areas. My dad is technically a general radiologist, but he is expected to read scans from all of the subspecialties within radiology at the same caliber as fellowship trained radiologists. Although he is as good now since he has been doing it for 30 years and is an expert at this point, it really depends on academic vs private. Even within private, if you are IR trained for example, you are still expected to read DR with the same efficacy that a general rads does.

Interesting. Thank you for response.

DO student who has rotated in San Diego here. Most doctors don't seem to know much about us. There are some practicing DOs but they aren't as common as I've seen in areas with osteopathic medical schools and osteopathic hospitals so networking your way back might be somewhat more challenging if you don't complete residency at a reputable allopathic program. If you are willing to move to east county, there seems to be less saturation (and property prices are much more reasonable). If you are willing to move even further east to Imperial County, they have a significant need for pretty much any kind of physician.

I agree with the other posters that getting back there should not be a major factor in selecting your specialty. Your chances are probably best if you match into a reputable program and are good at what you do in any specialty. San Diego is a big enough city that most specialties can be found in the city. There are two level 1 trauma centers and several level 2s.

These are all just based on personal observations; I could be wrong.

DO student who has rotated in San Diego here. Most doctors don't seem to know much about us. There are some practicing DOs but they aren't as common as I've seen in areas with osteopathic medical schools and osteopathic hospitals so networking your way back might be somewhat more challenging if you don't complete residency at a reputable allopathic program. If you are willing to move to east county, there seems to be less saturation (and property prices are much more reasonable). If you are willing to move even further east to Imperial County, they have a significant need for pretty much any kind of physician.

I agree with the other posters that getting back there should not be a major factor in selecting your specialty. Your chances are probably best if you match into a reputable program and are good at what you do in any specialty. San Diego is a big enough city that most specialties can be found in the city. There are two level 1 trauma centers and several level 2s.

These are all just based on personal observations; I could be wrong.

It would be tough for me to get into a residency program in California (DO student).

It would be tough for me to get into a residency program in California (DO student).

Depends what you want, your scores, etc, but there are DO grads in different specialties in CA.

Depends what you want, your scores, etc, but there are DO grads in different specialties in CA.

UC San Diego has had DOs match to Patho, Gas, EM, and FM. Haven't seen an IM or surgery (+surg specialties) yet. Other DOs have matched to Kaiser, Scripps, and Balboa Mercy Naval MedCenter.

Reactions: 1 users

Rads- getting like Path

so for specialties like surgery, EM, psychiatry, and family practice, are they able to easily land a decently paying job in California?
there is a lot of talk about saturation in optometry and pharmacy, and even some talk about saturation in dentistry in California
are medical specialties overall safe from being over saturated anytime soon?

saturation seems to be the main problem in other healthcare fields, but it doesn't seem that big of an issue for medicine
so since saturation isn't the problem then what are the biggest complaints that physicians have about their field?
in the past, some ER doctors have told me to not go to medical school and to become a dentist, I thought it was because ER docs are overworked
but if theres more to this please let me know, thanks!