Jobs in Grad School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychLVR

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just recently got accepted to DU's Counseling Psych Masters program. I am a little concerned about how much and where I am going to be able to work in grad school. I am curious what kinds of jobs people typically work while in grad school and how demanding the schedule is vs. how much you are able to work. Any opinions would be very helpful! Thank you all for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

It may not be all that feasible to pull off, but the best advice I can offer is to not work at all while in grad school and just fully concentrate on your studies. I realize that may not be an option, but, in my opinion, it really is the best way to get through grad school.

If you do have to take a job, try to only work weekends, you will need the week nights to go over the day's reading assignments and class notes.

Many programs prohibit their students from working at anything other than department jobs while in the program. TAing or doing a paid undergrad adviser position are probably your best bets.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't work, but many students in my MA program obtain GA positions within the department where they score IQ tests and assist with research. Many of the other students live off of loans through the government (FASFA).

Okay, thank you all for your responses. I was begining to think no one worked in grad school, from the lack of responses. So I guess I was right...I just took a serving job and am going to see how that pans out when school starts. I asked the program about GTA positions and they said they are all currently filled, so I guess we'll see...

Okay, thank you all for your responses. I was begining to think no one worked in grad school, from the lack of responses. So I guess I was right...I just took a serving job and am going to see how that pans out when school starts. I asked the program about GTA positions and they said they are all currently filled, so I guess we'll see...

You may want to check around in other depts that may have GA positions as well. Sometimes there are other areas that have 'open' positions that do not require a certain 'major,' only a desired skill set or whatever in order to fulfill the position's duties.

It can be done... some people have no choice b/c they are their family's primary support.

We had 2 people (one male/one female) who both worked full-time positions while completing our MSW program. They are amazing people and we stood in awe of their accomplishment. 6 of us had graduate assistanceships that were 20 hrs/week.

Our program was 65 credit hours, clinically based, we took 15-17 hours per semester, did 25-30 hrs of internship a week, and had a crap ton of busy work to keep us hating lfie. We had class all day 2 days a week, internship all day 3 days a week, and everyone of us (even the ones not working) spent many, many, many late nights working on assignments/studying.

Those that worked were able to work out an arrangement with their jobs where they could take on a new role as part of their internship. It had to be something COMPLETELY different and it had to be exceptionally documented... and they could only get paid for 50% of it. They made it work though...

So, if it's necessary for you to work, it can be done. I never had less than an 80 hr week for my 2 years of grad school... I did 40 @ my internship (unpaid, I was stupid, ha) and I guess 16-17 class hours, about 15 travel hours, and then homework/studies, meetings, extra-curriculars, etc. Ugh, that math makes my stomach hurt!

Good luck with it all. You can do it!