Jobs with a bio (organismic) degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justinpaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since pretty much everyone I know at school that's a bio major is intent on med school, and to lesser extent, other professional or graduate schools, following undergrad--what are some entry-level, organismic biology jobs you can jump into right after getting your degree, beyond a lab tech? For people who didn't apply directly after graduating, what did you do for work?

Members don't see this ad.

yeah i was wondering about this as well, in case you don't get in, or take a year off or something. i feel like there aren't many opportunities for a bio major without going to grad school

a lot of my friends were able to get jobs at pharmaceutical companies. probably relying more on their chemistry backgrounds than biology (they were bio majors though)

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't diss being a lab tech! That's what I'm doing for my 2 years off. I work with lab animals and get to take the rest of my pre-reqs at the University for free. I really like it and am learning SO much more about science (biochem and neuroscience, neither of which I knew anything about really). Most of the other techs I work with are applying to PhD programs, and the postdocs are really supportive of us going back to vet/med/grad school!

Don't diss being a lab tech! That's what I'm doing for my 2 years off. I work with lab animals and get to take the rest of my pre-reqs at the University for free. I really like it and am learning SO much more about science (biochem and neuroscience, neither of which I knew anything about really). Most of the other techs I work with are applying to PhD programs, and the postdocs are really supportive of us going back to vet/med/grad school!

Haha, I'm not dissing it! I volunteered doing it for three and a half years, but it seems tough to find a paid position that doesn't require more experience or credentials (they can always find undergrads to do stuff for free). I guess I wrote "beyond" which could be misinterpreted as something "better" than lab tech. I should have written, along with being a lab tech, what are other possibilities?

We don't have any undergrads here - it's all paid techs. For all the "Tech B's" at my university (I didn't go here, just work here) they say you need to have a bachelor's in bio or related, and they LIKE 1-2 years experience, but everyone here gets hired straight out of college, for pretty decent pay. So it's definitely out there! I worked as a tech in undergrad too, and I get to do WAY more now than I did then. Just sayin' it's out there! :) At least one person here got her masters while working as a tech and is leaving now to become a lab manager for someone else, so it can be a career-builder too.

Just gotta say, I totally read the title as Orgasmic degree. Where can I apply for one of those???

HAHA i read it as "orgasmic" at first too ;)

Just gotta say, I totally read the title as Orgasmic degree. Where can I apply for one of those???

HAHA... I did too. I always get nervous when I have to read that word out loud because I always think orgasmic will come out of my mouth instead!

Anyway, keep the ideas coming everyone! I've been curious about this myself, as I have been asked by more than one vet what I plan on doing with my Biology degree if I don't get into vet school right away. The truth is that I'm really not sure, but it is definitely a serious issue that I need to think about.

i mean, you could always just work on getting more experience, i.e. working as a full time tech at a clinic or something...

but i know what you mean, it is an important issue to think about

I sort of worked as a lab tech and also as an RVT. If you're looking for lab tech positions (mine was lab animal type stuff, not bench science), you should look at the postings for some of the major lab animal companies. Many of them do require a certain amount of experience, but you can always apply anyways in case they're willing to let you substitute in education for experience.

A couple of those companies, off the top of my head, would be Charles River and Sobran, but I'm certain there are others.

I have been working as a writer for a pharma advertising agency. Most writers in this field have either a bio background or english/writing and basically learn the other as you go (I have a biomed engineering degree).

It is an interesting gig and have probably learned more in the past 5 years about the human body, drugs, and how they interact with the body than i did during college.

You usually have to work you way up and most people start in a fact-checker role for a little while.

It is a little specialized, but there are agencies in the major cities. It is also pretty recession proof, since most drug companies are still spending marketing dollars.

I looked at working full time at a vet clinic, but I just couldn't afford to live off the salaries I was being offered in NYC. I get paid way more being a lab tech, and at my job it's about 1/2 bench work 1/2 animal work. I found the best way to find those types of jobs at a University (= free classes!) was to search each institutions jobs page for "Research Support" positions. They have some that are only animal, but they paid significantly less than what I make now. Not that I'm rolling in dough, but I make enough to live and save some money for school, which was a big plus for me! I'm sure lab tech stuff is different everywhere, but I definitely think it's something worth looking into. Lab animal vets are also in very high demand all the time, so becoming interested in that area and getting experience there could be good for your career!

I did 1 year as a TJ Watson Fellow researching wildlife conservation bio. 4 years as a zoo curator. 2 years as a NOAA researcher. 7 years as a PT contract animal trainer (and/or instructor), 2 years FT contract animal trainer (and/or instructor.)

I depended on Ecolog-L, Marmam, AZA, EcoJobs, and Environmental jobs for positions, but all of these fields required relocating for jobs and/or extensive travel.

Schools are always looking for good science teachers! My spot will be free next year. Also, if you get into a urban school system, where there is always growth, it's almost recession proof! My school system is hiring for next year, while others are laying off or not hiring any new teachers. Most states offer alternative certification routes. Also, if you teach in an approved Title I school, you can have a portion of your loans (assuming you have any) forgiven in some states (such as GA).

Schools are always looking for good science teachers! My spot will be free next year. Also, if you get into a urban school system, where there is always growth, it's almost recession proof! My school system is hiring for next year, while others are laying off or not hiring any new teachers. Most states offer alternative certification routes. Also, if you teach in an approved Title I school, you can have a portion of your loans (assuming you have any) forgiven in some states (such as GA).

I always thought there were more requirements for teaching (higher degrees or other qualifications in education?). I had also thought the system was far from recession proof, based on all the layoff protests teachers are holding because of the huge educational budget cuts. It would be fun, though. I like engaging young minds! Of course if I wasn't going to do it for a long-enough period of time, it wouldn't seem worth it to get the additional education requirements...

I also mentioned this since there's no way, even working full time, a vet tech job would support me if I wanted to become financially independent :( I am looking at CalTech lab assistant positions, though.

I graduated last year and started looking into lab tech sorts of jobs but couldn't find any decent ones that would work with my schedule and would allow me to do more than clean glassware. I ended up working at a barn for the summer (that paid really well but the owner was very difficult to work for) and now I'm working at a small animal hospital as an "animal care assistant" for slightly above minimum wage. So, I'm not really using my bio degree at all in the sense of what I know how to do in a lab, but I am getting small animal hospital experience, which is what I wanted. If it is a matter of taking a year off or not getting in after a round of applying I don't it is especially important that you "use" your degree, but it would definitely be a plus. Sometimes I really do miss lab work and being around people who know that I am good at sciency stuff and not just putting together surgery packs (though I gotta admit, I do find that satisfying ; )

Yeah, I think the availability of lab jobs may vary by area. A lot of people in MD/DC are able to get them because there are so many universities around and also because of the government institutes in the area like the NIH, CDC, and some military places. I can see where it would be harder in other areas, though.

I always thought there were more requirements for teaching (higher degrees or other qualifications in education?). I had also thought the system was far from recession proof, based on all the layoff protests teachers are holding because of the huge educational budget cuts. It would be fun, though. I like engaging young minds! Of course if I wasn't going to do it for a long-enough period of time, it wouldn't seem worth it to get the additional education requirements...

I also mentioned this since there's no way, even working full time, a vet tech job would support me if I wanted to become financially independent :( I am looking at CalTech lab assistant positions, though.

As I said, it is really dependent on the school system. Typically Urban schools are always growing. For instance, the enrollment at my school went from 700 students to 800 by the end of last year. This year, we are already up to 930 students. Yes, we have large class sizes, but their is a cap as set forth by the state. Therefore, more teachers will be needed. I'm not sure about California education. Education is a state right, so it varies tremendously from state to state. Check online for the requirements. I have a non-renewable 5 year teaching certificate in the state of GA that I received with a Bachelor's degree and passing the test (GA uses the GACE, but most places use the PRAXIS).

I can't complain about the money; however, teaching in an urban area has its challenges and you work for every penny. Nevertheless, I am glad I did it.