Jobs with Pyschology Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dental Hygiene.

Members don't see this ad.

I got close to finishing my BS in Psych when I realized that the career options were limited.

So I picked up a second degree in Molecular Biology and now am in pharmacy school.

There are options out there. Just get another degree first.

cant you get into pharmacy school with a psych degree (or no degree at all?)

Members don't see this ad :)
well...i got a BA in psych and am now applying to Osteopathic medical schools.
i dont know if its the BEST thing for me to do...all my professors suggest i go into biomedical research.
like psychoneuroimmunology.
that would be fun.

I think a psych degree can definitely be a great asset in any health related career. You learn so much about human behavior (cognitive, social, physiological, personality, etc...) which will ultimately help one to deal with a variety of patients that they come across in the workplace.

Psych. degree = :thumbup:

Ok I was wondering what some jobs you could get for a psychology degree?
Im a double major in Pharmacy and Psychology
My friend is majoring in Psychology too so i was wondering what some good jobs were?:confused:

I am a Senior Psychology student and I have had the chance to do lots of research. I did some studies with ADD,ADHD and Autism. The school I attend has started a new research project conducting pre-clinical studies in rodent models of CNS injury,basically we will be looking at traumatic brain injuries in rodents and seeing what treatments can be beneficial. In essence I lucked out,I can maintain the relationships I made through those opportunities and hopefully work on getting some kind job in that research field. I am going to med school tho because I would like to make more money ;)

The consensus seems to be that additional schooling is required, but a psychology degree is accepted in pretty much any post-ugrad program (besides a non-psych phd program, obviously).

So the reality is, a psych degree is pretty much pointless by itself. It sounds pretty much like any degree in the humanities (which are acceptable to all business, health, etc. schools).

nothing

I'll sell you mine for 20 bucks

I will so take you up on that; I had no idea I was interested in psych in undergrad years ago and got a major and minor that aren't impressive - theater performance and dance. :(

You got PayPal?

I will so take you up on that; I had no idea I was interested in psych in undergrad years ago and got a major and minor that aren't impressive - theater performance and dance. :(

You got PayPal?

::laughs:: I have a psych major and a theatre minor. I may have the most useless degree. Ever. That said, my school is very good at placing their undergrad psych majors, so I must've done something right!

Pay attention in your research and statistics classes and you'll have a very marketable skill set. If you know how to do research, and you don't mind crunching some numbers, there are plenty of businesses that need analysts and are willing to hire a psych major. Market research is not a bad way to go.

If you want to work with people, ABA (applied behavior analysis) can pay well. I think you'll need extra training, but a close friend of mine was making $27 per hour just a few months after graduating. It's hard work - I couldn't do it- but rewarding, and it can pay well.

A fair number of psych majors end up going to law school and business school as well. Apparently psych is considered a decent background for either of those.

-S

A fair number of psych majors end up going to law school and business school as well. Apparently psych is considered a decent background for either of those.

And some go on to MD-land, or so I like to think because I'm trying to join their ranks.

This is a great post.

Just wondering, am I the only one who didn't really think/care about money until after graduation???

-S
You know? My academic adviser told me the same thing the other! I have always wanted to be some kind of doctor tho,I even considered being a plastic surgeon. But I like the fact that I can get into a persons' mind(not literally) and make some guesses as to what might be wrong psychologically.

this is such a depressing thread!

I'm already up to my eyeballs in student debt....sigh, it just doesn't get any better does it?

You could always look into staff positions in the college setting. My school offers several full time positions open to people with bachelors degrees such academic advising, research positions, financial aid officers, etc. They often don't pay great anywhere from $12.00 an hour to $3,000K a month, but they usually offer benefits that aren't to bad and its a place to start.

You can work as a Counselor with a BA in Psych. The pay is around $40K. You can gain experience by working part-time as a Mentor(try organizations that provide In-home counseling), working with Adults/Children who have special needs, working in Group Homes(which can be quite stressful depending on the population).

i graduated about a year ago with a BS in biological sciences and a BA in Psychology and Sociology. i was undecided as to what i wanted to do...go to med school, phd, masters...didn't know.

but getting to your question...you can do a lot of jobs with a BA in psych, but don't expect to be paid very well. there are some ways people end up earning more than expected, but usually not directly related to the field. for example, my bf graduated with a degree in linguistics and music performance and now works as a medical underwriter. sometimes you just don't know where you will end up, so don't feel compelled to stick just to your degree if you feel the pull to go elsewhere.

here in cali, i worked for a year for a private company contracted by the county to provide behavioral intervention services to children with/at risk for autism, asperger, or language delay. the job paid about $17-18 an hour, but mind you i had a LOT of previous experience with children and i know other employees were only pulling in barely $15. there are benefits...but here are the cons from my experience....

gas is going up up up up. and depending on the company you work for, you might or might not get reimbursed for gas. i quit bc i felt like i was paying to work for them. every 3 months i got reimbursed about a quarter of what i spent on gas IN ONE MONTH. and i was spending about 20% of my NET income on gas...don't mention maintenance.....with gas jumping about 20 cents in 5 days...cannot do it! relating to next paragraph...

also with these companies, and i have spoken to people who have worked with similar companies, you will be driving A LOT. many will tell you they try to place you close to where you live. i found that to be a lot of BS. i was driving over 100 miles some days through horrible traffic on a tight schedule...stressful. i was told when i was hired that i would be doing a lot of driving..."probably about 50 to 60 miles a day, but not much more than that." abusing it, a lot. this isn't much of a problem if you work for a school district, as there are some salary positions and you cannot beat the benefits they offer (according to my bf, the underwriter)

the job can be exhausting....you have to be a lot of things with these kids, and with their parents. being an entertaining and effective teacher all day in conjuction with the schedule you keep, is difficult. you really have to LOVE this type of job. i loved working with some of my kiddos and got to share some wonderful, absolutely amazing moments, such as their first words, their first smiles, lots of good stuff. but you have to absolutely love doing this to keep at it. burn out is a major problem in this field, a MAJOR problem.

i will admit though, this type of job....a lot of great experience that i am sure helped me on my application and will help me on future job searches. i just received my acceptance to Pepperdine's MA clinical psych program with MFT emphasis. (if anyone can give me more info on this, please PM me!)

but i know that it wasn't for me. my brother and father both very likely have aspergers. my brother was never formally diagnosed, my dad is in the process. working with it and coming home to it, it wasn't easy. some people can do it, but i couldn't. with this job, it became increasingly hard to leave my bags at the door.

From reading this thread I realized a lot of people get into Psyc without an actual goal in mind. I think its one of those degrees where you really want to get into as a career, therefore you plan whats going to happen along the way, not wait until you have the diploma and ask "now what". Otherwise you end up truly working at McDonalds, etc.
Kinda like people who want to be doctors. THey know that a BS in biology is not going to take them very far, but since they apply for undergrad they know that its just a stepping stone for med school.
I apply to psyc as undergrad knowing i would need extra school to become a Psychologist. Because that is the career I want, once I graduated I have worked as Case Manager & Floor Time Therapist (sort of like ABA). It is frustrating to see that 4 long years of school will get you at most 30k...but this isnt that big of a deal when you knew ahead of time that more schooling has to be done.
If you want to be a Psychologist, yeah, you're gonna have to go back to school. If not...you should have thought of that before undergrad and choosen a different degree, now you're probably going to go back and do it anyway.

a 3.5?....go to med school

a buddy of mine had a 3.2 and a 26 MCAT score and got into a DO school....don't give up just yet