Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My arguments don’t hinge specifically on geography. I was willing to move around if needed (although I didn’t expect to move around quite so much or so far). If relocating were the only issue, that would be different.. if one could simply relocate to a random place but then they could have a good job. But that is not the case. There is also lack of opportunity, exploitation, instability, economics, dishonest employers, difficulty in finding a job regardless of willingness to relocate, and all the other issues I have brought up. If you look at my posts, location was not the only or even the biggest issue I brought up. Pediatric neurosurgery is a poor analogy (unless you are comparing it specifically to, say, a neuropathologist in academia).
Please tell me why pediatric neurosurgery is a bad example. It is merely another niche field that can fall prey to all the same factors you list. This is explicitly because so few are needed. If so few are needed, there are only so many employers for you. If there are only so many employers for you, and you are stuck with a dishonest one and feel exploited, you will have the same gripes and lack of opportunity. This IMO is mostly grounded in the fact that this is a niche field and does not have direct patient access (meaning you can't market directly to the patient, and rely on relationships that try to exploit that fact). This has ALWAYS been the case.

On the flip side, great opportunities also abound. I am an example of that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Please tell me why pediatric neurosurgery is a bad example. It is merely another niche field that can fall prey to all the same factors you list. This is explicitly because so few are needed. If so few are needed, there are only so many employers for you. If there are only so many employers for you, and you are stuck with a dishonest one and feel exploited, you will have the same gripes and lack of opportunity. This IMO is mostly grounded in the fact that this is a niche field and does not have direct patient access (meaning you can't market directly to the patient, and rely on relationships that try to exploit that fact). This has ALWAYS been the case.

On the flip side, great opportunities also abound. I am an example of that.
It is a poor example because potential work settings for pathologists as a whole are much broader than pediatric neurosurgery. Pediatric neurosurgeons are primarily in either academic settings and/or large pediatric hospitals. While there are pathologists in those settings, there are also pathologists in many settings that would not support a pediatric neurosurgeon. You are trying to compare a small subspecialty of a specialty (pediatric neurosurgery) to an entire specialty (pathology). Now, if you wanted to compare pediatric neurosurgery to a neuropathologist or some other comparable subspecialty of pathology, you might have more of an apples to apples comparison.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a colleague who was working with me in a previous job (where I’ll call “location A”) who had come out of training a few years before me and was an excellent pathologist- AP/CP and very proficient in her subspecialty. She got a job offer in the northeast, about 800 miles away (location B). It seemed like a good opportunity to her- partnership opportunity and in a location she considered to be at least reasonable, so she took the job, made the move with her family (spouse and several kids) and bought a house there. About 2 months after starting, a major contract was lost and things fell apart. She was out of a job on short notice, and I don’t know all the details, but I know she had to hire an attorney and things had to get pretty ugly before she finally got paid for all the work she’d already done. She was unemployed for a little while then finally worked something out, based on prior connections, with the corporate lab where she’d previously worked (at location A). She relocated again to work at a different corporate lab facility at location C, which was over 1,000 miles from location B and about 500 miles from location A where she started. So this all happened within a span of about a year, and she was back to making peanuts in a third rate corporate lab job and stuck with a house back at location B. After sitting on the market for over a year, the house finally sold at a loss.
I previously described my own, very similar experience. And I personally know of 2 additional people (besides the two of us) who had this happen- one who moved several hundred miles west to get out of a bad job who then had the new job go down the tubes quickly, and another who was with a practice where I interviewed who described an almost identical experience that they’d been through. I believe these scenarios are occurring at a much higher frequency in pathology compared to other specialties, and you can’t just go back to your old job in most cases because they will have already hired someone else to replace you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I had a colleague who was working with me in a previous job (where I’ll call “location A”) who had come out of training a few years before me and was an excellent pathologist- AP/CP and very proficient in her subspecialty. She got a job offer in the northeast, about 800 miles away (location B). It seemed like a good opportunity to her- partnership opportunity and in a location she considered to be at least reasonable, so she took the job, made the move with her family (spouse and several kids) and bought a house there. About 2 months after starting, a major contract was lost and things fell apart. She was out of a job on short notice, and I don’t know all the details, but I know she had to hire an attorney and things had to get pretty ugly before she finally got paid for all the work she’d already done. She was unemployed for a little while then finally worked something out, based on prior connections, with the corporate lab where she’d previously worked (at location A). She relocated again to work at a different corporate lab facility at location C, which was over 1,000 miles from location B and about 500 miles from location A where she started. So this all happened within a span of about a year, and she was back to making peanuts in a third rate corporate lab job and stuck with a house back at location B. After sitting on the market for over a year, the house finally sold at a loss.
I previously described my own, very similar experience. And I personally know of 2 additional people (besides the two of us) who had this happen- one who moved several hundred miles west to get out of a bad job who then had the new job go down the tubes quickly, and another who was with a practice where I interviewed who described an almost identical experience that they’d been through. I believe these scenarios are occurring at a much higher frequency in pathology compared to other specialties, and you can’t just go back to your old job in most cases because they will have already hired someone else to replace you.
I believe you. I had a friend who lost his job in semirural Midwest because the hospital pulled the contract. He was jobless but was luckily able to get another offer in the area.

Luckily he got a job in a much better location thru another friend and luckily they are happy now. His wife hated that Midwest city.

Make sure you make friends in this field. You don’t know how much they can help later on when you’re looking for a job or have to find a new job.

Some people burn bridges in this field among coresidents because they have a bad rep among their peers for being crazy, lazy or just hard to work with.

You don’t have much leverage in this field especially if you are a younger pathologist sadly. (I’ve said this many times over).

I believe you too

I know a couple personally in the NE who had the rug pulled out under them suddenly and lost jobs. One with no notice and the other with a couple of months. One relocated far away the other is now underemployed (involuntarily part time but stayed local).

both were out of luck after hospital consolidation into larger system disrupted a small practice.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe you. I had a friend who lost his job in semirural Midwest because the hospital pulled the contract. He was jobless but was luckily able to get another offer in the area.

Luckily he got a job in a much better location thru another friend and luckily they are happy now. His wife hated that Midwest city.

Make sure you make friends in this field. You don’t know how much they can help later on when you’re looking for a job or have to find a new job.

Some people burn bridges in this field among coresidents because they have a bad rep among their peers for being crazy, lazy or just hard to work with.

You don’t have much leverage in this field especially if you are a younger pathologist sadly. (I’ve said this many times over).

This sounds very much like my current situation. :oops:

I think if you want stability you need stay in academic practice if you can hack it.