MPH Johns Hopkins MPH 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are sommer scholarship decisions out yet? When and how will recipients be notified?

Members don't see this ad.

Are sommer scholarship decisions out yet? When and how will recipients be notified?
I am pretty sure that everyone who has been awarded a Sommer scholarship would have been notified by now. I emailed them two weeks ago and was told I was not on the list of recipients for institutional awards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, everyone. I was accepted to JHSPH's MPH program as well. I work as a research tech in the Bloomberg building and have lived in Baltimore all of my life. I would say that the area is just as dangerous as any other city... Don't watch the Wire! Hopkins students generally live in Fells Point, Fed Hill, Charles Village, Mount Vernon, Towson, etc. (the more trendy areas), but you can find decent housing in most neighborhoods. Just depends on how much you want to spend and whether or not you want a commute. I've met people who live within 2 blocks of campus and they haven't had any significant issues... If you have questions about the area, I'd be happy to help!

As far as GA/RA positions, from my experience, I've seen that the vast majority of these are reserved for PhD students. I'm sure if you're motivated enough, you can get one, but if you're in the full-time program this might prove a little difficult. I spoke with a former MHS student who was full-time and, logistically, said she didn't have the time to pursue these positions.

Anyone going to the April 1st Admitted Students day?

hi all,
I am an IMG from India and still considering whether to accept JHSP for MPH because of the high tuition fee. Not pretty sure if I wud recieve any financial aid because of the immigrant status. Its UMD vs JHSP.

hi all,
I am an IMG from India and still considering whether to accept JHSP for MPH because of the high tuition fee. Not pretty sure if I wud recieve any financial aid because of the immigrant status. Its UMD vs JHSP.

Hi! You should contact JHSPH and UMD with specific questions about financial aid. I spoke briefly with an international MPH student at UMD, and, as I remember our conversation, they didn't receive much (if any) in financial aid, but got a GA position in their second semester that covered their tuition (or most of it, can't quite remember). It seems that funding may be easier to come by at UMD... Like I said, I think your best bet would be to contact both schools. It's likely that they could also put you in contact with international students currently in the program, who could give you some insight.

Hi! You should contact JHSPH and UMD with specific questions about financial aid. I spoke briefly with an international MPH student at UMD, and, as I remember our conversation, they didn't receive much (if any) in financial aid, but got a GA position in their second semester that covered their tuition (or most of it, can't quite remember). It seems that funding may be easier to come by at UMD... Like I said, I think your best bet would be to contact both schools. It's likely that they could also put you in contact with international students currently in the program, who could give you some insight.
thank you :)
Also, what would be the approx cost of living monthly in baltimore. Need to decide between staying at baltimore campus or crash at a relative's place and commute from columbia, md.

thank you :)
Also, what would be the approx cost of living monthly in baltimore. Need to decide between staying at baltimore campus or crash at a relative's place and commute from columbia, md.

It really depends on where and how you choose to live... If you live with roommates, you could probably find something close to the East Baltimore campus for ~$500-600 + utilities. A few friends of mine have single apartments in Fells, and they pay ~$1000-1500 per month. I'm assuming this is probably what you would see in areas like Mt. Vernon and Charles Village, as well. I would check Craigslist for listings by neighborhood. You're also going to have to factor in parking costs in some cases. Depends on where you're living. COL in general is going to be much cheaper than NYC, DC, etc... You won't need to spend much (if any) on transportation as a grad student, with the shuttle service and CC Circulator. Entertainment in the area is also cheap in comparison to other cities.

The commute to Columbia typically isn't too painful; depends on when you're traveling. 95 is a mess early morning and afternoon (6:30-9:30a/4-6:30p), but the commuters I know have been able to plan around this. Money saved on rent typically makes up for the annoyance of the actual commute.

Hi, everyone. I was accepted to JHSPH's MPH program as well. I work as a research tech in the Bloomberg building and have lived in Baltimore all of my life. I would say that the area is just as dangerous as any other city... Don't watch the Wire! Hopkins students generally live in Fells Point, Fed Hill, Charles Village, Mount Vernon, Towson, etc. (the more trendy areas), but you can find decent housing in most neighborhoods. Just depends on how much you want to spend and whether or not you want a commute. I've met people who live within 2 blocks of campus and they haven't had any significant issues... If you have questions about the area, I'd be happy to help!

As far as GA/RA positions, from my experience, I've seen that the vast majority of these are reserved for PhD students. I'm sure if you're motivated enough, you can get one, but if you're in the full-time program this might prove a little difficult. I spoke with a former MHS student who was full-time and, logistically, said she didn't have the time to pursue these positions.

Anyone going to the April 1st Admitted Students day?

Hello, I'm looking at moving to Baltimore with a family next year for residency. Since there is a metro (green line) from owings hills to JH I was hoping to find housing with good public/magnet schools (elementary and Middle) for my kids. Any good suggestions or ways to narrow down the search? A $1300 monthly mortgage is probably near the limit. Thanks!!

Does anyone have any comments on timelines for decisions? I'm considering contacting them to ask the earliest a decision could be made on my application, as it is the only program (and my top choice) that starts in July rather than September. Finding out about Hopkins in January/February would be a major issue for me, because I'm planning to go part-time at my job and roll of the current project I'm on, but my supervisor/project manager currently assumes that I'd be leaving in August to start school in September. Hence, my problem - I'm very integrated into my main project and have alot of different roles, so leaving for school (assuming I even got in) two months earlier than expected and telling them next year would not go over well.