MPH Johns Hopkins MPH 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sohel.dmc63

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Anybody heard back from Hopkins (MPH) here? I have been accepted into their MPH program and planning to attend there. It will be great if we who are going to attend JHSPH can start a discussion here. Specially about the Baltimore lifestyle, housing, financial aid, academic calendar, course curriculum etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted into school-wide MPH.

I hope someone has heard anything about financial aid..

I have been accepted into school-wide MPH.

I hope someone has heard anything about financial aid..
Hoo hoo.....at last found someone...congratulations

I don't think so...I think nobody filled up their FAFSA yet...atleast I didn't. What's about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also just heard acceptance. Not quite set on attendance yet (waiting on other opportunities over the next few months to see where I should land), but I'm all for following this thread and participating in the future.

As for financial aid, I called the admissions office yesterday to ask about it and they said to check their website here: http://www.jhsph.edu/offices-and-services/student-affairs/financial-aid/application-procedures/

Filing dates aren't until March 15th, so having your financial aid documents in there by then should be sufficient (I imagine they'd have to give you notification of any financial aid packages before the April 15th confirmation date).

Reactions: 1 users
Also just heard acceptance. Not quite set on attendance yet (waiting on other opportunities over the next few months to see where I should land), but I'm all for following this thread and participating in the future.

As for financial aid, I called the admissions office yesterday to ask about it and they said to check their website here: http://www.jhsph.edu/offices-and-services/student-affairs/financial-aid/application-procedures/

Filing dates aren't until March 15th, so having your financial aid documents in there by then should be sufficient (I imagine they'd have to give you notification of any financial aid packages before the April 15th confirmation date).

Hey - Congratulations to everyone here. The 15th March deadline for filing for financial aid applies only to US citizens, correct? Based on my understanding, international students are not eligible for federal loans, but just wanted to verify this, so that I don't lose out on any potential sources of funding. Also, has anyone accepted the offer on the 'On my application' page? Thanks!

Hey - Congratulations to everyone here. The 15th March deadline for filing for financial aid applies only to US citizens, correct? Based on my understanding, international students are not eligible for federal loans, but just wanted to verify this, so that I don't lose out on any potential sources of funding. Also, has anyone accepted the offer on the 'On my application' page? Thanks!
Yes, FAFSA is only for the US citizen and LPR. I didn't accept my offer yet, but will do within the next 1/2 days...

I have been accepted into school-wide MPH. I have a few queries

Congratz c.y for your big shot. Let's post our queries, thoughts, insights here so that we can figure it out altogether.

Have you guys accepted the offer yet? I'm still waiting on offers from other schools (HSPH, Yale, Columbia) and on Financial Aid.

Thank you sohel. And I still havent accepted the offer yet. I have also been accepted into Emory, BU, Yale(11 month) program, GWU and UTH. Just waiting on Columbia. I am an international student. Can anyone please tell me the job opportunities/placements provided by these universities and the average salary as well? Some student from JHSPH recently told me that their MPH program is not eligible for STEM extension since its a 1 year program. However he said that the 2 year programs offered at other universities are eligible for the same. Do you guys have any idea about the same?

Have you guys accepted the offer yet? I'm still waiting on offers from other schools (HSPH, Yale, Columbia) and on Financial Aid.

Haven't accepted the offer yet either; waiting on HSPH and Princeton's MPA -- if I get into the latter I will likely attend there, but if not, I will likely attend JHSPH if financial aid is similar between it and HSPH.

Hey everyone I just got in to JHSPH today and I am very excited!
I applied to the MPH/MBA program but the email I got today only mentioned the MPH.
I'm pretty confident the Carey Business School acceptance will arrive soon also.

I'm from Canada so I have no idea how the US financial aid system works but.
Do you guys know when scholarships have come out in the past?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you sohel. And I still havent accepted the offer yet. I have also been accepted into Emory, BU, Yale(11 month) program, GWU and UTH. Just waiting on Columbia. I am an international student. Can anyone please tell me the job opportunities/placements provided by these universities and the average salary as well? Some student from JHSPH recently told me that their MPH program is not eligible for STEM extension since its a 1 year program. However he said that the 2 year programs offered at other universities are eligible for the same. Do you guys have any idea about the same?
Though I am an IMG, my current status is LPR now. So I am lucky enough to be eligible for FAFSA. Without federal loan, I will not be able to afford this high tution fee. I have also heard back from other schools including Boston, GWU, UTH, Tulane etc and still waiting for two (Yale and TA&M). Though I have already decided that I will attend JHSPH. As far as I know, international students struggle for public health jobs as most of them prefer domestic students, but if you can prepare yourself accordingly from a reputed school I think you can overcome this challenge. Salary range varies state to state and depends on your major. As for example, avg starting salary for an epidemiologist is 50-55 K. I don't have any idea about STEM. Best of luck c.y.

Hey everyone I just got in to JHSPH today and I am very excited!
I applied to the MPH/MBA program but the email I got today only mentioned the MPH.
I'm pretty confident the Carey Business School acceptance will arrive soon also.

I'm from Canada so I have no idea how the US financial aid system works but.
Do you guys know when scholarships have come out in the past?
Congratulations mpEHch

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have any idea guyz how the FAFSA for JHSPH works? FAFSA provides max 33.5 K loans in a year. It is not a problem for 2 years program because I can take total 67 K in two years from FAFSA, which is enough for the tution fees. But how will I manage 63 K tution fee + 15 K living expense from FAFSA? Is there anything special for JHSPH?

Haven't accepted the offer yet either; waiting on HSPH and Princeton's MPA -- if I get into the latter I will likely attend there, but if not, I will likely attend JHSPH if financial aid is similar between it and HSPH.
What type of financial aid are you expecting from JHSPH???

I have accepted my offer last week :)
Congratulations Sohel on accepting your offer. Any idea which concentration you will opt for? Also, I read previously that some folks (on SDN) have received loans of up to $45K. These are in old forums. Perhaps you can check them out. However, I really don't know how FAFSA works as I'm not eligible (international student).

What type of financial aid are you expecting from JHSPH???
As I'm sure we all hope, I would love some scholarships and minimal loans haha. But I haven't the slightest idea on what financial aid packages JHSPH usually doles out. I'm just curious to see how much, if any, we're likely to receive; I read from last year's HSPH thread that almost no one got any decent financial aid, so I'm not holding my breath for anything great.

Also, has anyone received their ISIS log-in information yet by email? I have not, but the next step in applying for financial aid (at least for domestic students, not sure how the process works for international students) requires an ISIS log-in.

As I'm sure we all hope, I would love some scholarships and minimal loans haha. But I haven't the slightest idea on what financial aid packages JHSPH usually doles out. I'm just curious to see how much, if any, we're likely to receive; I read from last year's HSPH thread that almost no one got any decent financial aid, so I'm not holding my breath for anything great.

Also, has anyone received their ISIS log-in information yet by email? I have not, but the next step in applying for financial aid (at least for domestic students, not sure how the process works for international students) requires an ISIS log-in.
I didn't receive any info about ISIS yet. 3 weeks ago I contacted the financial aid office. They said me that they are gonna send me a mail regarding this in next month (February I think). I am waiting for their mail.

I have decided to enroll with JHU ..

I am gonna apply for loan to finance the degree .. I have contacted the fin aid office they told me that they are approving loans only in may! .. anyone have an idea about this?

because I want to apply for visa before this date ..

Hi everyone!

I was offered admissions to JHSPH in January. I am still waiting to hear back about financial aid from Hopkins and other schools before I make my decision.

I live in DC so I decided recently to go to Baltimore to check out the area and visit campus. According to some of the students very few people live near the East Baltimore campus, while many live in Mt. Vernon or near the Homewood (undergraduate) campus. There is a free Hopkins shuttle that runs every ~15 mins between the Homewood campus and East Baltimore campus and passes by Mt. Vernon.

Is anyone attending one of the admitted students days?

Hi everyone!

I was offered admissions to JHSPH in January. I am still waiting to hear back about financial aid from Hopkins and other schools before I make my decision.

I live in DC so I decided recently to go to Baltimore to check out the area and visit campus. According to some of the students very few people live near the East Baltimore campus, while many live in Mt. Vernon or near the Homewood (undergraduate) campus. There is a free Hopkins shuttle that runs every ~15 mins between the Homewood campus and East Baltimore campus and passes by Mt. Vernon.

Is anyone attending one of the admitted students days?
Hi there - I'm waiting on the financial aid outcome as well. What was your impression of Baltimore and the campus?

@world23

And how much it cost to rent an apartment in those areas you mentioned? and by the way is it easy to find 2 or 3 roommates to reduce the costs?

Baltimore as a whole is a crime-prone area. Neighbourhoods around the medical school campus is relatively less safe. That's why most of the students prefer neighbourhood around the Homewood campus. I am planning to live at Charles Village. It is just adjacent to the Homewood campus. I heard that it is the safest area as Johns Hopkins campus police department always patrol this area. Communication with the SPH campus is good as well.
It will be cheaper if someone shares appartment with roommates. I have seen some appartments (suitable for 2/3 peerson) in website which cost only 500-600 dollar per person including all the utility bills.

Reactions: 2 users
@PHPenguin @world23
Are you guyz talking about the Sommer Scholarship or you have already filled out your FAFSA?
Did you get any instruction regarding financial aid?

@PHPenguin @world23
Are you guyz talking about the Sommer Scholarship or you have already filled out your FAFSA?
Did you get any instruction regarding financial aid?

I'm not eligible for FAFSA as I'm an international student. But in addition to scholarship outcomes, am waiting on admissions / funding outcomes from 2 more schools, after which I will make my decision. Thanks for the info on where to live and the expected cost of living!

@PHPenguin @sohel.dmc63 @Saloommamado

As Sohel.dmc63 stated Baltimore is a crime-prone area. If I am being honest my first impression of the city as a whole was not great. The East Baltimore campus has a very urban feel. I did enjoy the public health building though. There are a couple new study rooms, a coffee shop, cafe, and a rec center! There are little police patrol stations about every block on the East Baltimore campus but they didn't really make me feel more safe.

The undergrad campus (Homewood) has more of a suburan feel with grassy areas, which was particularly appealing to me.

I have a friend who lived in Mt. Veron and paid ~$550/month with 1 roommate. I can't comment on the other areas but I would assume they are generally around $550.

I am waiting to hear about FAFSA and other institutional scholarships from other programs before I can make a decision.

This is what my friend said about grocery shopping for those who are interested: "I didn't have a car so folks from Church would carpool to Towson Trader Joe's or go to Eddie's, a local grocery store. Whole Foods is down by inner harbor, about a 8 minute bus ride away. There aren't too many grocery options if you don't have a car, but that's what Peapod and online grocery is good for =)"

I got into Hopkins too today for the MPH program! Congrats to everybody here.
I still have to hear from few more schools, but does anybody here have any insight on a few things, that would be great.
I'll be in the program for 1-year.
1. Classroom sizes/faculty connections
2. Opportunities to do things outside of classes that include research, TA, work-study positions
3. I'm assuming job placement won't be a huge issue here.

\currently deciding between JHU, Yale and Columbia's MPH program.

Class size is around 270/280 for the MPH program.

Has anyone heard any news about funding yet?
I'm starting to get a little anxious.

Also, do any of you know housing prices in Fell's Point or average car insurance rates in Baltimore?

Fells Point is cheaper than Charles Village. You can search online or JHMI off campus housing site. Afaik, Security of Charles Village is not upto the mark.
I also need that information, car insurance....

There is indeed a very good university transportation between Homewood and JHMI .. and as I understood it's free and works from 6 am to 12 am.

I really want to know about the other possible activities in Baltimore, what can we do there besides studying?

Does anybody know what Butcher Hill is like to live in?
I am doing my research on Baltimore and trying to figure out if I can stay there without a car (preferable) and in an area that's generally safe with a lot of students.

I accepted my offer:)

Me as well. Did anybody receive your JHED ID?
And what is your plan to live in Baltimore? Anyone decided yet? I am looking for a shared appartment.

Me as well. Did anybody receive your JHED ID?
And what is your plan to live in Baltimore? Anyone decided yet? I am looking for a shared appartment.

No I did not get the JHED ID yet.
I want to live near the Homewood campus like you. It'll be great if we shared a place :)

Does anyone have an idea about the policy of graduate assistantship positions in JHU? about whether it provides tuition reduction and other benefits or not?

Congrats on making your decisions everyone!
I still don't know if I will be able to commit this year without any funding, hopefully we start hearing back soon.

Did not get my JHED ID yet. And where to find roommates for housing?

We need JHED ID for that right?

We need JHED ID for that right?
No, there is an option for guest log in. Use your username and password that was provided to you in your acceptance letter.

Is there a Facebook page for class of 2017 yet?