Johns Hopkins Post-Bacc Health Science Intensive Program or retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John6301

Reaction score
Hey all!

Just graduated ended with a 3.36 GPA with a major in Biology. Took the mcat rushed through it scored a 487. Been considering applying for JHU HSI because I'll be granted a masters despite it being a post-bacc and also get MCAT help but also been on the fence with just retaking the MCAT with the correct study structure and save money in loans.

Recently, i spoke to a dean of a DO school and she told me it will make me a better candidate if I continue my education which is why I've applied but I'm honestly stuck.

Took a practice test last week and score a 497. Not sure what route to take. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

Just graduated ended with a 3.36 GPA with a major in Biology. Took the mcat rushed through it scored a 487. Been considering applying for JHU HSI because I'll be granted a masters despite it being a post-bacc and also get MCAT help but also been on the fence with just retaking the MCAT with the correct study structure and save money in loans.

Recently, i spoke to a dean of a DO school and she told me it will make me a better candidate if I continue my education which is why I've applied but I'm honestly stuck.

Took a practice test last week and score a 497. Not sure what route to take. Please help!

With that GPA and a scored MCAT of 487, I would think you'd need to do really well on 2nd MCAT. Given your diagnostic score + scored MCAT tells me your content is weak (that's only my op but basing it on my own experience).

I like the JHU program... just sayin'

Hey all!

You don't need a post-bac for getting into any DO school.

Therefore, you need ot focus ont he mCAT.

IFD test taking anxiety issues are causing your problems, then those need to be addressed first. Do NOT take the exam until you are 100% ready.

Can you enlighten us as to why you took a career deciding, high stakes exam when you were so unready that you "rushed through it"?

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need a post-bac for getting into any DO school.

Therefore, you need ot focus ont he mCAT.

IFD test taking anxiety issues are causing your problems, then those need to be addressed first. Do NOT take the exam until you are 100% ready.

Can you enlighten us as to why you took a career deciding, high stakes exam when you were so unready that you "rushed through it"?

I didn't have a good study structure and I realized this a little too late. Spent too much time in content and not much in questions/exams. Which is why I mentioned I can retake it with a better approach.

With that GPA and a scored MCAT of 487, I would think you'd need to do really well on 2nd MCAT. Given your diagnostic score + scored MCAT tells me your content is weak (that's only my op but basing it on my own experience).

I like the JHU program... just sayin'

I was thinking about studying while I wait to hear back since admission is never guaranteed. With my situation, what score should I be getting before taking my MCAT?

I didn't have a good study structure and I realized this a little too late. Spent too much time in content and not much in questions/exams. Which is why I mentioned I can retake it with a better approach.

**** happens. this was a mean and unhelpful question in my opinion. good luck there is always a way forward!! don't be defeated or second-guess your past choices, just focus on where to go from here!!