Joint Commission Inspections Covid ERA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7Poptart

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
We were in the window to get inspected by the JC before COVID. Our hospital is now beginning preparation again. Have you been inspected since COVID? What are the looking for this time?

Members don't see this ad.

We were in the window to get inspected by the JC before COVID. Our hospital is now beginning preparation again. Have you been inspected since COVID? What are the looking for this time?

my guess is same thing as pre covid. we had a visit from DOH, and we were just doing whatever we did for prior visits...

Members don't see this ad :)
so new n95 or fresh PAPR each time you enter a room?
Have to throw away the old PAPR the moment you leave the room and get a new one before entering the next room.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
At least I can walk down the hall with my mask on. Literally 1 week before masks became mandatory throughout the hospital, I got s*** for it by our infection control nurse. Next time I ran into her, I pointed to the mask on my face and said, “COVID mask”. There are upsides even to COVID.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
At least I can walk down the hall with my mask on. Literally 1 week before masks became mandatory throughout the hospital, I got s*** for it by our infection control nurse. Next time I ran into her, I pointed to the mask on my face and said, “COVID mask”. There are upsides even to COVID.
I used something in the realm of 50-75 masks a day pre-covid.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
R u serious or is that a joke? The amount of trash generated by a hospital is ungodly
I don't know if I used 50-75, but it was not just a couple. Easily 25.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if I used 50-75, but it was not just a couple. Easily 25.

I would use a handful max, I would try to fold them up and stick in my back pocket so I can reuse, I mean really what kind of contamination are we preventing by not taking off mask between rooms? Now, just 1 a day

Not a totally serious answer: post covid they aren't going to inspect your hospital. Just send paperwork for your hospital to fill out, request a check and then make up some nonsense that you need to 'correct'.

We just had a JCAHO inspection. I’m no longer in a leadership position so I can’t say what they were looking for that was different overall. The one interaction I had with them was in PACU, where I had to show them that we recorded a set of vitals prior to induction so that was no change from prior years.

JCAHO trying to stay relevant and justify their own existence. Pathetic. Where were they when the pandemic was starting and hospitals couldn't scrounge up supplies to protect their workers??

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Revenge is a dish best served during a pandemic.

JCAHO trying to stay relevant and justify their own existence. Pathetic. Where were they when the pandemic was starting and hospitals couldn't scrounge up supplies to protect their workers??

Well, they were incredibly helpful with best-practice summaries and cutting-edge research while Covid was gaining steam worldwide. I've summarized all their contributions in this framed area: []

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Good lord y’all - I used 1 MAYBE 2 masks a day if I soiled it during lunch or a snack. 50-75 a day is wild and I work in ACT practice where I’m in and out of rooms a lot. The same is true now as well. I used to just laugh when someone said something to me about it

We have DNV here which is more focused on having nothing opened or checked before the patient comes into the room...

I used something in the realm of 50-75 masks a day pre-covid.
That’s insanity. Seriously? This poor planet is dying by our hands.
Are you taking care of 75 patients per day?
Did this bother you at all? The cost and more importantly the waste.

How many patients are you taking care of per day? 25?

The nurses at my current hospital before covid wouldn’t let you leave the Or with a mask on. If you’re covering rooms i could easily see wasting boxes in a day.

Anyone else feel like the n95s aren’t nearly as uncomfortable as they were a few months ago.

Are they inspecting COVID-19 units? Lol. Those peeps ain’t getting no where near Covid patients or areas. Just put signs up for Covid patient nearby and they will run.

The nurses at my current hospital before covid wouldn’t let you leave the Or with a mask on. If you’re covering rooms i could easily see wasting boxes in a day.

Anyone else feel like the n95s aren’t nearly as uncomfortable as they were a few months ago.

What is the evidence for this nursing mandate?

That’s insanity. Seriously? This poor planet is dying by our hands.
Are you taking care of 75 patients per day?
Did this bother you at all? The cost and more importantly the waste.

We were very badly burned by the JC. We have since switched from those asshats to a different group that actually seems to care about safety.

Every entry to the OR required a new mask. It was immediately removed after exit from OR. Ask yourself how many times you enter an OR when you supervise 2-4 rooms for 12 hours.

We also got stuck wearing the stupid AORN outfit for a long time too.

And yes, of course stupid waste bothers me.

saw these ads on my browser the other day,
and i thought to myself..
while actual front line staff deal with COVID, you pretend you are doing something
**** JCAHO, you useless ****ers

COVID-19-Liz-Story-300x600.png

Attachments

• COVID-19-Liz-and-Brian-stories-300x250-5.4.png
    COVID-19-Liz-and-Brian-stories-300x250-5.4.png
    25 KB · Views: 68
..."Of course, I was on my way into work. Not the hospital, but my remote office where I come up with arbitrary policies that don't have any clinical evidence. When I got to work, I had to get temperature screened on my way into my non-clinical office building! It was traumatic. The person taking my temp didn't even wash their hands before they did a infrared contactless thermostat. Of course, I had to write them up immediately and threaten to pull their accreditation because their buffant wasn't covering their ears and they have a lanyard tag which is against policy. I am the true health care hero. I think I'm going to schedule myself to be on ABC news tonight when they interview frontline heroes"
-Jane Doe, TJC inspector

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
"When I read the harrowing stories coming out of New York City during the peak of Covid, I was appalled at what I saw! There were patients dying on stretchers in the hallways. These hospitals should know that they must provide a clear means of egress! Don't even get me started on the lack of 42-step time outs and inadequate PPE for codes. Providers had masks dangling on their face. They were wearing the same N95 for a month when they should know better. One mask per clinical encounter! Noncompliant!"

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Had a JCAHO inspection at my large public NYC hospital a few weeks ago, and got called out for having a drawn up stick of Lido out during turnover. Was so hard to bite my tongue. Where were these f***s when I was intubating coding COVID patients with no PPE during peak pandemic. Such a joke

Reactions: 7 users
Had a JCAHO inspection at my large public NYC hospital a few weeks ago, and got called out for having a drawn up stick of Lido out during turnover. Was so hard to bite my tongue. Where were these f***s when I was intubating coding COVID patients with no PPE during peak pandemic. Such a joke

You should have just laughed in their face. Those ****ers

JCHAO visited my hospital. They did their typical tours, and avoided the COVID ICU like the plague. They came into the OR, made a stink about having stickers on the EKG cables ready to go in the trauma room.

• Haha
JCHAO visited my hospital. They did their typical tours, and avoided the COVID ICU like the plague. They came into the OR, made a stink about having stickers on the EKG cables ready to go in the trauma room.

God forbid all those nosocomial uncovered EKG lead-caused infections they saved all these helpless patients from. Again why do hospitals pay these asshats to exist? Next up they need to enforce that pts get flowtrons and heparin as soon as they step out of their car when they pull in to the hospital so they don't catch a DVT.. ridiculous...

God forbid all those nosocomial uncovered EKG lead-caused infections they saved all these helpless patients from. Again why do hospitals pay these asshats to exist? Next up they need to enforce that pts get flowtrons and heparin as soon as they step out of their car when they pull in to the hospital so they don't catch a DVT.. ridiculous...

It literally never stops. Last year pre COVID - they also had something to say about the EKG stickers. Our EKG stickers come in packs of 5, if you use a 3 lead EKG you have 2 stickers left over. Some people leave the stickers inside the package. Well, thank God for JCHAO, they said that these opened packages of EKG stickers are a violation. But, if you fold the package 3 times you will be okay. Unreal.

Reactions: 3 users

Seriously - why do hospitals need their accreditation? Is it for Medicare reimbursement purposes? Because I’m sure almost no patient cares about this.

Why didn't you straight up ask them that? I would have.

We were very badly burned by the JC. We have since switched from those asshats to a different group that actually seems to care about safety.

Every entry to the OR required a new mask. It was immediately removed after exit from OR. Ask yourself how many times you enter an OR when you supervise 2-4 rooms for 12 hours.

We also got stuck wearing the stupid AORN outfit for a long time too.

And yes, of course stupid waste bothers me.
Who's the alternative? Serious question. I don't know these things and think that as much as we need regulation, it goes too far in the other direction.
And did you guys never get warnings when JC was coming? I thought hospitals typically did. So that we can "fake it?"

Who's the alternative? Serious question. I don't know these things and think that as much as we need regulation, it goes too far in the other direction.
And did you guys never get warnings when JC was coming? I thought hospitals typically did. So that we can "fake it?"
My understanding (could be wrong):
When you lose accreditation, you lose CMS certification. Then the hospital loses all their facility fees from Medicare. They take that seriously when it is threatened, and we imagined we are at high risk of contract loss if we are the cause. Not really a “keeping your head down” move. At the time, we were told in no uncertain terms by hospital CEO that we would be following all the AORN policies until that next inspection was done, even the dumb ones. We were having a scotch while he told me this, but the message was clear.

Doing what the JC wants only when they are there leaves you open to the random state/JC inspectors. Most of the time there is warning, but I have had 2 patients tell me that is their job while I push propofol. The “A” game comes out when they are there, but after that threat we were at least at a “B+” until we passed the next inspection.

DNV is the most common JC alternative I know of. The hospital pays all of them a lot to come by and torture them, so it is an interesting business. Our easiest visit from JC was during our final negotiations with DNV.

My understanding (could be wrong):
When you lose accreditation, you lose CMS certification. Then the hospital loses all their facility fees from Medicare. They take that seriously when it is threatened, and we imagined we are at high risk of contract loss if we are the cause. Not really a “keeping your head down” move. At the time, we were told in no uncertain terms by hospital CEO that we would be following all the AORN policies until that next inspection was done, even the dumb ones. We were having a scotch while he told me this, but the message was clear.

Doing what the JC wants only when they are there leaves you open to the random state/JC inspectors. Most of the time there is warning, but I have had 2 patients tell me that is their job while I push propofol. The “A” game comes out when they are there, but after that threat we were at least at a “B+” until we passed the next inspection.

DNV is the most common JC alternative I know of. The hospital pays all of them a lot to come by and torture them, so it is an interesting business. Our easiest visit from JC was during our final negotiations with DNV.

That's when I pull out the "opioid free" technique