Journal vs. Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hondapride

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for opinions, in general what looks better, doing indep research and getting published in a journal or doing the research and being invited by prof to write a chapter for a book?

Members don't see this ad.

It's more important to have good numbers and apply early. As such, neither will probably be printed by the time your fate is sealed. Don't do research as a means to an end (i.e. medical school). Do it because you enjoy it. Otherwise you'll be exposed upon questioning.

In the context of an application to medicine, it's best to mold whatever experience you have into an interest in the medical field. From an academic research standpoint, a first-author publication as a junior in college would definitely show ambition and is becoming more commonplace these days. A faculty member writing a book chapter with an undergrad (or even a grad student) would be unheard of at any of the institutions I've worked for unless it was merit badge literature sponsored by the Boy Scouts of America (that I have seen).

Either way, if you have that much time to dedicate to research, your interests would seem to lean toward a Ph.D. program or M.D./Ph.D. There's nothing wrong with that, but I'd like to see what other EC's you made time for.

either one seems like a great opportunity if you are actually presented with the options. :) goodluck

Members don't see this ad :)
It's more important to have good numbers and apply early. As such, neither will probably be printed by the time your fate is sealed. Don't do research as a means to an end (i.e. medical school). Do it because you enjoy it. Otherwise you'll be exposed upon questioning.

In the context of an application to medicine, it's best to mold whatever experience you have into an interest in the medical field. From an academic research standpoint, a first-author publication as a junior in college would definitely show ambition and is becoming more commonplace these days. A faculty member writing a book chapter with an undergrad (or even a grad student) would be unheard of at any of the institutions I've worked for unless it was merit badge literature sponsored by the Boy Scouts of America (that I have seen).

Either way, if you have that much time to dedicate to research, your interests would seem to lean toward a Ph.D. program or M.D./Ph.D. There's nothing wrong with that, but I'd like to see what other EC's you made time for.

Thanks for the reply ^_^. Working on my numbers as we speak (studying for MCAT). This was a more after the fact question, it should be published before I apply (april or may). Also, i *love* my research haha (going for MSTP).

Looking for opinions, in general what looks better, doing indep research and getting published in a journal or doing the research and being invited by prof to write a chapter for a book?

who knows, try for both!