1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Journal vs. Book

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by hondapride, Mar 13, 2007.

1. hondapride

2+ Year Member

Looking for opinions, in general what looks better, doing indep research and getting published in a journal or doing the research and being invited by prof to write a chapter for a book?

2. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    It's more important to have good numbers and apply early. As such, neither will probably be printed by the time your fate is sealed. Don't do research as a means to an end (i.e. medical school). Do it because you enjoy it. Otherwise you'll be exposed upon questioning.

In the context of an application to medicine, it's best to mold whatever experience you have into an interest in the medical field. From an academic research standpoint, a first-author publication as a junior in college would definitely show ambition and is becoming more commonplace these days. A faculty member writing a book chapter with an undergrad (or even a grad student) would be unheard of at any of the institutions I've worked for unless it was merit badge literature sponsored by the Boy Scouts of America (that I have seen).

Either way, if you have that much time to dedicate to research, your interests would seem to lean toward a Ph.D. program or M.D./Ph.D. There's nothing wrong with that, but I'd like to see what other EC's you made time for.

3. herbalgarden

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    either one seems like a great opportunity if you are actually presented with the options. :) goodluck

4. OP
    OP
    hondapride

2+ Year Member

Thanks for the reply ^_^. Working on my numbers as we speak (studying for MCAT). This was a more after the fact question, it should be published before I apply (april or may). Also, i *love* my research haha (going for MSTP).

5. MonkeyNuts!

MonkeyNuts! Even Kal has bad days...
    Bronze Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

who knows, try for both!