Would a 1 unit Journal Club class count as a "non-science" LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilentAnon_404

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically, it's a JC class I have to take because of the research program I'm in. The teacher knows me very well. I'm wondering if this would be a good non-science LOR? The only concern I have is that it's a 1 unit course.

Members don't see this ad.

This is not exactly what is usually expected for a non-science letter, especially if the journal club is for scientific research. You should get a letter from a history, English, economics or arts professor or anything like that to avoid any issues.

Reactions: 3 users
This is not exactly what is usually expected for a non-science letter, especially if the journal club is for scientific research. You should get a letter from a history, English, economics or arts professor or anything like that to avoid any issues.
Got it. I recently had an upper division English class I got an A- in and the teacher knew me well enough. However, my issue is that I am probably still at least 2 years away from the application process, so if I ask that teacher then, she would have probably forgotten about me.
How should I go about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got it. I recently had an upper division English class I got an A- in and the teacher knew me well enough. However, my issue is that I am probably still at least 2 years away from the application process, so if I ask that teacher then, she would have probably forgotten about me.
How should I go about this?
Ask for the letter now and store it on Interfolio. You can ask her to update it when you are closer to applying with whatever is new + changing the date.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the value of this letter? If you are still a few years away, why is this letter going to be important compared to your PI'S letter or a traditional non science professor letter?

What is the value of this letter? If you are still a few years away, why is this letter going to be important compared to your PI'S letter or a traditional non science professor letter?
PI letter counts as "non-science"? I thought PI letter would be in a separate category. If so, then that's awesome.
Honestly the reason I was going for this non-science letter is because I don't really have any non-science professor (assuming classes only) that know me well enough.

I just want to know the value of the letter. (What are you doing for your PI?) If you are just getting it to check a box, it will result in a rather poor letter. Of course you will raise a lot of questions on getting a letter from someone who teaches you a 1 credit class.

I just want to know the value of the letter. (What are you doing for your PI?) If you are just getting it to check a box, it will result in a rather poor letter. Of course you will raise a lot of questions on getting a letter from someone who teaches you a 1 credit class.
My PI letter is expected to be very strong. I will have spent 2 years (~2000 hrs) in research, along with multiple poster presentations in conferences.
Currently taking on a big project with the lead researcher, where I dictate half of the experimental design (if not more).

Also, the 1 unit course class will be taken a total of 12 times (12 total units), as it lasts throughout the program. It has a JC component (1 class/quarter) and an overall knowledge based component (also 1 class/quarter), for the total of 3 of these classes per year for 2 years.

PI letter is separate. It could count as a science letter if you received credit hours for your research as part of an independent study class or something along those lines. Otherwise it’s just an extra letter separate from the ones you get from faculty, similar to an employer letter. Some schools specifically encourage a letter like this.

Reactions: 1 users
PI letter is separate. It could count as a science letter if you received credit hours for your research as part of an independent study class or something along those lines. Otherwise it’s just an extra letter separate from the ones you get from faculty, similar to an employer letter. Some schools specifically encourage a letter like this.
Got it! So in that case, I should probably contact my English teacher. Can you also elaborate on the Interfolio part? Would I have to create it or would she? Thank you.

Got it! So in that case, I should probably contact my English teacher. Can you also elaborate on the Interfolio part? Would I have to create it or would she? Thank you.
I believe you would create an account and then request a letter from her through their website. It should then give her all the instructions she needs. Just make sure to reach out to her first about writing it and then use Interfolio after giving her the time she needs to work on it.

Reactions: 1 users