July 24th Expected vs. Actual Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gilbertjgreen

Such an unoriginal handle
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you would be so kind, please let those of us still suffering with anticipation know how your actual score compares to the score you were "sure" you were going to get in those first few days after the test.

Members don't see this ad.

Not to dive into your personal situation, but why do you say you might not have to retake with a 27? I thought the magic number was 30? The main reason I ask is because I took the August 20th and basically got slaughtered on it....so I am trying to figure out my options..:(

I just wanted to add on to what Hyacinth said. The average for applicants is somewhere between 27-28. Therefore, with a score like a 27, you would be considered "average" rather than competitive. There are certainly very many "average" test-takers who excel in other areas (ECs, GPA, interview, etc.), which makes them competitive all-around. If you're looking at the MCAT to make up for a deficiency in one of these other areas, then a 27 isn't going to cut it. But if you're just looking for a decent score that should help get you in but not really do you any favors, a 27 will work just fine, especially at state schools.

im really upset with my score. :(

I am sooooooooo with you on this one. I am retaking it in Jan. :( Boo! Oh, well. It's a test under the belt and while it sucks being upset about it for too long doesn't fix it. All we can do is do better on it the next time.

I can't figure out what hurts most, my ego or not going to med school next year. Anyone feel the same?

My ego too is a bit bruised too. But all you can do is retake it and do better next time.

Members don't see this ad :)
My ego too is a bit bruised too. But all you can do is retake it and do better next time.

Actually my ego is not very bruised because I honestly believe it was just a bad test day. I was well prepared. So, I'm gonna go with "not going to med school next year." That's gonna hurt for an entire year. Even if my ego is a little bruised, it recovers quickly and will back by a week or so.

I wish I knew for sure if I should retake in September or January, but I guess I'll go with January so I am well and truly prepared. So much for *not* studying MCAT on Christmas. ;_;

Actually my ego is not very bruised because I honestly believe it was just a bad test day. I was well prepared. So, I'm gonna go with "not going to med school next year." That's gonna hurt for an entire year. Even if my ego is a little bruised, it recovers quickly and will back by a week or so.

I wish I knew for sure if I should retake in September or January, but I guess I'll go with January so I am well and truly prepared. So much for *not* studying MCAT on Christmas. ;_;

I felt like I was well prepared also. I agree with you, it was just a bad test day. I thought about retaking in Sept but that seems to be out since seats are scarce. January is it for me. I think I am going to be better this time around with the studying and make sure I study a lot but also leave time for me and a little fun. It's good to get out of your own head.

Christmas? What Christmas....that's one month away from the projected MCAT date. Bring it on baby! :D

Have you withdrawn your applications or not applied?

I'm overjoyed that I didn't wait for a sept or jan seat and retook it on 8/9.
7/24 was a horrible test-all I remember is being paralyzed with fear and barely being able to answer questions. On top of that I took it on no sleep. I ended up with 29.

8/9 was a piece of cake, and I answered every question confidently (later confirming my answers with a fellow test taker). I can't wait for the score so I can prove to myself how unbalanced and cruel 7/24 was.

to everyone who is upset with their scores: big improvement is possible!! I first took the MCAT in August 2005 and got a 24 O (8,8,8). I retook July 24th 2007 and got a 31 O (10,10,11) :D!!! Don't give up!

I felt like I was well prepared also. I agree with you, it was just a bad test day. I thought about retaking in Sept but that seems to be out since seats are scarce. January is it for me. I think I am going to be better this time around with the studying and make sure I study a lot but also leave time for me and a little fun. It's good to get out of your own head.

Christmas? What Christmas....that's one month away from the projected MCAT date. Bring it on baby! :D

Have you withdrawn your applications or not applied?

No, I didn't withdraw my applications, because I had already sent in most of my secondaries. That would have been a big waste of time and money. What I did was decide that I wouldn't complete three secondaries I have because now I have no shot of getting into those schools, and instead I added three more lower-tier schools.

Why, did you withdraw/not apply?

After leaving the test center, I thought that I probably scored about a 21.

I was actually looking into PA programs. Hell, being a PA is a damn good medical job these days.

But I ended up with a 28O.

I have a high GPA, strong EC's, LOR's, and a unique background (PM for personal statement).

So, I'm not taking it again.

Thumbs up for the curve on that July 24th test.

I'm still really upset about my VR score (10). I seriously thought that I got a 12 or 13 on it. I can't think of having missed anything on that section. Every single question that I answered, save probably 2, was answered with complete confidence. I don't know what happened there.

I got an 8 on PS. I thought I got a 6...

I got a 10 on BS, but I thought I got a 5 on it.

Guys, people told me so many times to relax about all of this stuff, but I couldn't. I was stressed about those scores, but I did so much better than I thought I was going to do.

Some of you might not think a 28O is very impressive, but it's enough so I'm happy with it. It might not be as high as some of the scores around here...but it's my score and I'm proud of it..

So, if you're reading this thread and you took a recent MCAT that kicked your butt (Aug. 20), relax...

The curve does exist...

No, I didn't withdraw my applications, because I had already sent in most of my secondaries. That would have been a big waste of time and money. What I did was decide that I wouldn't complete three secondaries I have because now I have no shot of getting into those schools, and instead I added three more lower-tier schools.

Why, did you withdraw/not apply?

I haven't made any decisions as of yet as to what to do. I dont know how many schools will consider the January score as my July score was tragic. I only know USUHS will consider January but I am resolved! I am not going to give up.

USUHS is my first choice so this is the one that is most important to me. I suppose in about a week I will make a decision as to where to withdraw or not submit secondaries.

I'm overjoyed that I didn't wait for a sept or jan seat and retook it on 8/9.
7/24 was a horrible test-all I remember is being paralyzed with fear and barely being able to answer questions. On top of that I took it on no sleep. I ended up with 29.

8/9 was a piece of cake, and I answered every question confidently (later confirming my answers with a fellow test taker). I can't wait for the score so I can prove to myself how unbalanced and cruel 7/24 was.

Is there such a thing as a "piece of cake" MCAT. I took it on the 9th as well...and while I thought it was fair...I still didnt think it was a piece of cake. By the way...did you have the wilderness, wildness, wild VR passage?

Is there such a thing as a "piece of cake" MCAT. I took it on the 9th as well...and while I thought it was fair...I still didnt think it was a piece of cake. By the way...did you have the wilderness, wildness, wild VR passage?

I didn't have that VR passage. And yes, compared to 7/24, 8/9 was a piece of cake. After taking 29 practice tests, you start to get a feel for the level of difficulty and your expected score. There wasn't a single question in 8/9 that I didnt know the answer to or was even confused about. I know for a fact I had a couple of stupid mistakes in PS regarding atomic configuration, but after going over the test with several people and wikipedia, I'm confident I didnt get more than 5 wrong in ea section. Either way, I predicted 28-30 for 7/24 and ended up with 29. For 8/9 I'm predicting 32-35, so I'll keep everyone updated on 9/12!

I didn't have that VR passage. And yes, compared to 7/24, 8/9 was a piece of cake. After taking 29 practice tests, you start to get a feel for the level of difficulty and your expected score. There wasn't a single question in 8/9 that I didnt know the answer to or was even confused about. I know for a fact I had a couple of stupid mistakes in PS regarding atomic configuration, but after going over the test with several people and wikipedia, I'm confident I didnt get more than 5 wrong in ea section. Either way, I predicted 28-30 for 7/24 and ended up with 29. For 8/9 I'm predicting 32-35, so I'll keep everyone updated on 9/12!

Sounds like we should hear nothing less than a 40S on your 9/12 score release. I hope you get it...but I still dont think there is such a thing as a piece of cake mcat. We obviously didnt have the same examination...so maybe that is the difference.

Not to dive into your personal situation, but why do you say you might not have to retake with a 27? I thought the magic number was 30? The main reason I ask is because I took the August 20th and basically got slaughtered on it....so I am trying to figure out my options..:(

Twenty-seven was my magic number. Everyone has their own. Good luck finding your perfect stat soup recipe -- SDN should help.

My AAMC scores ranged from 29-32.

Actual July 24th score: 29R

I went 9V/10P/10B. I was scoring 11s and 12s on the practice AAMCs on verbal. The actual MCAT's passages were much longer and I felt rushed. I was optimistic and predicted a 30. My goal was a 30. I am satisfied with a 29 (not overjoyed). It should get me in to most of the Texas schools. I have a 3.9 GPA and pretty good ECs. It does seem to me that the AAMCs are good predictors of actual scores. For me it seemed that since the test was so hard I ended up in the low end of my score range. My advice would be to take as many of the AAMC CBTs as possible and to try to finish the verbal with at least 5 minutes to spare.