June 1st or July 21st? What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuronaz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third-year biochemistry major at the University of Florida. I currently have a 3.8 cumulative GPA and a very similar science GPA (~3.65). I am currently registered to take the MCAT on June 1st. I was supposed to start studying in January – but the spring semester was much more difficult than expected. I also had a major death in my family that set me off track for some time. I’ve been realistically studying for the MCAT since May 1st, but honestly, I don’t feel prepared.

I’ve got a very strong science background – primarily in chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and basic neuroscience. I took the NextStep diagnostic exam and got a 498. I took the 1st Next Step Full-length yesterday (essentially without studying) and got a 502. I’m currently reviewing the exam and I missed a lot of questions (I’m going through the C/P section and I’m currently on number 42 out of 59) because I misread the questions or the problem. I knew the material, analyzed it the way NS has in the answers, but simply misread it.

I am considering taking the MCAT on July 21st instead of June 1st, giving me more an additional month and a half to prepare for the exam – which would be beyond helpful. I planned on applying this cycle and I feel as though this exam date is pretty late. Now I figure that I’m a relatively strong applicant – I’m an African-American (which I found does play a slight factor), with TA experience, internships experience, close to 200 hours of clinical experience, more than 60 hours shadowing a doctor, leadership roles on campus and within my scholarship, and a first-generation student. I have several strong letters of recommendation and with the exception of my MCAT score – feel as though I’m a very competitive applicant. I know that the MCAT is a large portion of my application – but not the only one (I’ve heard figures around 13%).

What would the people of SDN recommend??

Members don't see this ad.

It is risky to apply without knowing your actual MCAT score. Have your application ready to submit in August and post your MCAT score here when available and we can give you much more accurate advice as to which schools to apply to.

Reactions: 1 user
Applications open up in June and I have yet to change my date. I think that's the biggest concern for me. I want to apply early, but I also want to get a score I know that I'm capable of (ideally >515). I'm stuck between taking MCAT earlier and not getting enough study time to apply early - or apply later and probably get a better score.

Applications open up in June and I have yet to change my date. I think that's the biggest concern for me. I want to apply early, but I also want to get a score I know that I'm capable of (ideally >515). I'm stuck between taking MCAT earlier and not getting enough study time to apply early - or apply later and probably get a better score.
Do not take the MCAT early if you do not believe that you will obtain a good score. It is better to be well prepared and take it in July since the MCAT has a major influence on where you are competitive for an interview.

Reactions: 1 user