June 2008 PCAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdhoward

PharmD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in central Texas and I received my scores today. Postmarked yesterday from San Antonio.

PharmCAS does NOT show to have received my scores.

I'm a little bummed out.:( Do you guys think my scores will give me a shot?

Verbal: 57
Biology: 58
Reading Comp: 32
Quantitative: 52
Chemistry: 64

Composit: 51

I have an overall 3.2 gpa and 12 years of pharmacy tech expirence.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry to say this but I don't think you have a very great chance of getting in with those scores. Don't take me wrong, I have the same GPA as well so I know what you're going through.

I've talked to a lot of people and read a lot online about competitive scores and a 51 composite is not very competitive at all. Here is a thread that breaks down what you should do depending on your score range: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=427578

But, I definitely wish you all the luck in your pursuance of pharmacy! :)

well you're the first that got it. As for getting in, I doubt it, since you're on the low end of GPA wise and that pcat score didn't really help you either since you weren't even at the 70 mid point. Don't feel bad I did about 20 points worse my first time thats why i been studying hardcore since school ended. Try again for october. I think you might be waitlisted may beeeee but i wouldn't count on it. Just retake october.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be in the interest of a lot of people for people to type their scores and %. Also it would be nice for people to post what they got on their kaplan's practice test. May be we can see a correlation.

Aw man, my friend said he got his in the mail today and did horrible =\ I'm on vacation, so I guess I'm going back home to find a packet of low percentages too ><

OP, I hope you were not looking for sympathy when you posted your scores. But the one thing I will tell you is that only the admissions committees know whether your scores are enough to get you into pharmacy school. We are merely strangers on a forum and the effect we will have on your admission is diddly-squat.

I've heard of people getting in with PCATs in the 20s and 30s, so a PCAT of >90 is not a prerequisite for acceptance. Keep your chin up, apply broadly, and if you get an interview be sure to nail it.

Good luck, whatever you decide (whether it's applying, retaking the PCAT, or both).

I live in central Texas and I received my scores today. Postmarked yesterday from San Antonio.

PharmCAS does NOT show to have received my scores.

I'm a little bummed out.:( Do you guys think my scores will give me a shot?

Verbal: 57
Biology: 58
Reading Comp: 32
Quantitative: 52
Chemistry: 64

Composit: 51

I have an overall 3.2 gpa and 12 years of pharmacy tech expirence.

dude ,,you are the first one i guess to get the scores....strange, good luck ,..but u have 12 yrs of pharmacy experience which is very very very rare :thumbup:

ARRGH, the wait is killing me! I need to know!!!!!!!! I know chem and math were bad, but maybe I can still pull out a good score (I'll need it).

I got my scores yesterday or the day before...don't exactly which day it came in the mail.

Verbal - 81
Biology - 95
Reading - 71
Quantitative - 88
Chemistry - 99

Composite - 96

what's up with the PCAT stuff....How come only Texas people got their score....What about the rest of states???

Damn this is Statism!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in VA, and I got my scores about 10 minutes ago.

Verbal Ability 81
Biology 58
Reading Comprehension 83
Quantitative Ability BAD
Chemistry 53
Composite 64

Stupid math. Oh well, I have a 3.4 and some of the schools I'm looking at have accepted those with stats around mine, so I'm done with the PCAT for this year. Maybe next time I'll actually study, heh.

I got mine today as well in western Virginia.

I am happy with what I got. I wasn't trying to hit a home run just average scores to back up a good GPA.

Verb - 71
Bio - 68
Reading - 71
Quant - 41 (knew it would be my lowest)
Chem - 86 (very excited about that one)

comp was a 73 and got 3's for language/prob solving.

I am done, not taking it anymore. Would have liked a bit better on the math but I hadn't had it in 2 semesters and really didn't review much for it.

4.0 GPA for all pre-reqs and 3.8+ overall GPA for everything else.

somebody mentioned something about actual scores. I think the only thing that they will show you is that 1 question right or wrong can make a large difference.

My percentiles (as shown above) range from a 41 to an 86. In comparison my scaled score ranges from 400 to 432. There is not a large difference in the numbers there but it's a big difference in percentiles.

how did you guys do on the kaplan practice test ? do you think kaplan's score/scale is similar?

Verbal Ability--51
Biology--79
Reading Comprehension--28
Quantitative Ability--41
Chemistry--78
Composite--58
Scaled Composite--407

I really hate retakes..oh well. For some reason, my scaled score is higher and my percentile ranks is lower than when I took it in January. I wish I understood how these tests were graded.

In January:

Verbal ability--40
Biology--50
Reading Comprehension--46
Quantitative Ability--61
Chemistry--86
Composite--59
Scaled Composite--404

I am so depressed.

My scores.

Verbal: 418: 76
Biology:399:45 I have NO IDEA what happened here. Seriously
Reading:416:71
Quant:400:41 Cant be possible, I solved almost every problem. WTF?
Chemistry:428:83 This is the score i expected from math and Bio.

Comp: 67. This is really sad. I am devastated by this failure.

I am rescheduled to take it in august. If I fail to do what I expect I will quit.

Anyone ever shocked by getting a bad score in math? I have no Idea what happened. I did my derivatives and logs and all the algebra and what not.
This is an absolute shocker.

I guess I am not the only one with a 41 in the quantitative section :(.

I am taking this freaking test again in august, hopefully I kill the math section.

God knows I will study for it, although I don't know why I messed up in the first place.

Am Shocked Too...

Verbal 388, 30
Biology 409, 63
Reading 355, 3...wtf
Math 388, 21
Chemistry 390, 45

Composite Is 40, Am Totally Screwed,,,i Thought I Did Realy Well On The Reading Part,,but Am Not Going To Let The Score Depress Me,,,i See You In August Mr. Pcat :hungover:

I would bet you got crossed up on your bubbling, especially since you thought you did well on it.

That sucks.

I Dont Know Realy What Happened...i Am A Very Good Reader, Maybe I Did That,,anyway I Have Finals This Week, Then I Will Start Studying Again For It...

Can I ask what your scores were? You posted the percentiles.... Thank you.

Verbal 405 - 57
Biology 406 - 58
Reading Comp 392 -32
Quantitative 406 - 52
Chemistry 412 - 64

Composite 404 - 51

Last edited:
Say I scored:

Section Percentile Rank
Verbal Ability 88
Biology 94
Reading Comprehension 32
Quantitative Ability 95
Chemistry 96
Composite 92
Writing Score Score Mean
Conventions of Language 3.0 2.90
Problem solving 3.0

Should I retake the test because of my Reading Comprehension?

Eh... I don't want to go home to check my mail for my PCAT scores anymore... >_<

Ziptree, Our scores are almost exactly the same, but math was my devil!

Composite: 92
Verbal Ability: 92
Biology: 93
Reading Comprehension: 83
Quantitative Ability: 36!
Chemistry: 97
Conventions of Language: 3.0
Problem Solving: 3.0

I was only halfway through the math section when the 5 min call was made so I blindly bubbled in the rest. My scores are pretty reflective of the online "Official PCAT practice tests" from Pearson. I did not take Kaplan tests. My reading comprehension was 10 points higher on the practice tests and in math I was scoring around 50th percentile on the practice tests, but otherwise it was right on. I find it easier to do tests on the computer and lost a lot of time bubbling. As for Math, I had As in Calculus and Honors Cal II in college, in the 1990s...I found the review books to be horrible for Math and tried to study from my old textbook, but time was an issue even on the practice tests. I do normal chemistry related math quite well everyday at my job. Oh well. If you are a math wiz, consider writing a review book on PCAT math, please!

Say I scored:

Section Percentile Rank
Verbal Ability 88
Biology 94
Reading Comprehension 32
Quantitative Ability 95
Chemistry 96
Composite 92
Writing Score Score Mean
Conventions of Language 3.0 2.90
Problem solving 3.0

Should I retake the test because of my Reading Comprehension?

no

as for other people talking about reading, hah i had the same thing when i got my score i was shocked what i got and how easy the reading was. I don't know what is going on with reading... Its really no point in studying for reading just hope u get a 50 on reading or high 40 but study on science and math that you can easily improve on.

Just got mine in the mail right now, I live in CA:

Verbal: 92
Biology: 95
Reading Comprehension: 63 :(
Quantitative Ability: 85
Chemistry: 98
Composite: 96

Writing:

I think its harder to do well in Reading because more people score higher in it so you have to get more questions right in order to get a high composite compared to the other categories.

congrats!

Wanna swap? I'll give you my reading for your math!

haha!

Thats pretty awesome scores even counting the lower score in the reading.

pkp, you have nothing to worry about. Those are great scores; I have essentially the same results except for a lower reading score.

Ugh I didn't realize I was an idiot. Thanks to the PCAT for letting me know.

Verbal-85
Biology-74
Reading Comp-76
Quant-31 (I swear I can count pills!)
Chemistry-68
Comp-71

Conv of Lang-4
Problem Solving-4

I didn't sign up for the August PCAT. I'm not sure when the deadline is/was but I don't want to freaking start studying again when there is only a few weeks of summer left. This sucks and I hate math.

Last edited:
Hi,

These are my scores

Verbal - 85
Biology - 90
Reading - 76
Quantitative - 52
Chemistry - 73

Composite - 82

I went to MCPHS and the admissions counselor calculated my gpa for me: Pre pharm - 3.57, Math and Science - 3.68.

What do you think my chances are to get into a school? Please give me some advice. I have already signed up for the August PCAT... but I am not ready for it. If I take the October PCAT, is it too late for most schools? Or am I still okay?

Thanks!!! :)

pkp, you have nothing to worry about. Those are great scores; I have essentially the same results except for a lower reading score.

Thanks. My GPA is definitely on the low 3 end so I put in a lot of effort in studying for the PCATs but I was still shaking when I opened that envelope today!

Thanks. My GPA is definitely on the low 3 end so I put in a lot of effort in studying for the PCATs but I was still shaking when I opened that envelope today!

Again, you sound like me, but probably a little better off. My GPA is on the low 3 end, too. Good luck to you!

I live in Cali.. Just got my scores today:

Verbal Ability 418 76
Biology 412 68 <---- surprisingly low
Reading Comprehension 403 50 <--- thought this would be much higher
Quantitative Ability 412 62 <---- not bad considering how low people are here
Chemistry 443 93 <---- saved my composite :D
Composite 418 77

Conventions of Language 3.0
Problem Solving 3.0

I have just below a 3.0 GPA.. with retail and hospital pharmacy experience, very good LOR's, B.S. in Pharmacology...

I think I'm on the edge of whether or not I should retake or not.. I'm not sure what to do.. but the August test is too soon for me to even be serious about studying(plus the test centers are full).. I'm thinking about just applying right now and seeing if I can get into a rolling admissions school..

Man I got slaughtered by the reading too. I was doing way better on the practice tests

Verbal - 89
Biology - 93
Reading Comp - 50
Quantitative - 77
Chemistry - 97
Composite - 91

it seems that most of you guys did really well on the verbal section. :Dhow did you guys study for it? what was it like. was there a lot of analogies. it seems that I focus my attention on biology and chemistry.
im looking for words as we speak, that i could study.

Man I got slaughtered by the reading too. I was doing way better on the practice tests

Verbal - 89
Biology - 93
Reading Comp - 50
Quantitative - 77
Chemistry - 97
Composite - 91

dude,,your scores are great, i did bad on the june one, how did you study for the exam,..what practice tests you used?..thanks

I'm borderline suicidal right now, I did horrible on my first PCAT (June) with only half way decent scores in math/chem, someone tell me if it's even worth to keep trying with a GPA from UNC-Charlotte (2yrs) 3.6 and UNC-Chapel Hill 2.8 (1 yr), I work in a pharmacy right now I don't know if that helps, jesus why was I made the stupid one, my brother who's in dental school at UNC had almost perfect scores on the DAT, with a GPA of 3.9 at UNC, if i showed him my scores he would think i'm mentally challenged. Keep trying or start playing poker for a living?

(I am taking it again in August, but have 0 confidence right now)

I'm borderline suicidal right now, I did horrible on my first PCAT (June) with only half way decent scores in math/chem, someone tell me if it's even worth to keep trying with a GPA from UNC-Charlotte (2yrs) 3.6 and UNC-Chapel Hill 2.8 (1 yr), I work in a pharmacy right now I don't know if that helps, jesus why was I made the stupid one, my brother who's in dental school at UNC had almost perfect scores on the DAT, with a GPA of 3.9 at UNC, if i showed him my scores he would think i'm mentally challenged. Keep trying or start playing poker for a living?

(I am taking it again in August, but have 0 confidence right now)

dude take it easy, i did bad too, my gpa is 3.7,,i am taking this F exam again in august, just study again and more practice..i did not study that well in june so i am not that mad..:sleep:

Scored an 85 composite as my reference point when I started the prep course. Did all of the required materials and some of the optional materials. Took the pcat. Think I did awful on it. Haven't received scores yet. Anyone received scores and took the kaplan course that can describe how they score on the kaplan reference test and how they felt after taking the pcat and how they actually scored?

Thanks in Advance,
WoW makes it better when everything else hurts so bad.

P.S. kinda depressed at the moment probably cause I'm taking a 29 day blitzkrieg session of general physics 2 at the moment.

Currently out of town but since someone at home likes to read my mail :idea: I know my scores. They're:

Verbal Ability: 426 - 85%
Biology: 428 - 87%
Reading Comp.: 416 - 71%
Quant.: 450 - 96%
Chemistry: 450 - 95%

Composite: 435 - 94%

Overall I'm disappointed. Obviously it's due to the Reading Comp.
I honestly don't even care about my high Quant. and Chem. scores because of Reading Comp. I'm borderline disappointed with Biology. I distinctly remember some EASY questions that I blanked on.

Don't bother PMing me for them; I'm taking them to the grave.

Truthfully, the only section that I'm satisfied with is Verbal. I was expecting my Verbal and Reading scores to be switched. I'm not making excuses here but my bladder really was about to explode during Reading Comp. so I had to go the restroom. There was no way around it! In fact, I went to the Womens restroom because someone was already in the Mens and I didn't want it to look suspicious. In retrospect, I'm sure it looks suspicious when a man runs into the womens.

Anyone want to predict what my Composite would be if I scored in the lower to mid 80s for Reading?

I compared with some other very similar scores and I think I would have had an overall 97 Composite. UGH!

I don't know if it's the same for every test that day, but for mine I know for a fact that the 2nd essay was graded.

IM SUCH A BABY! WHY?!? I SHOULD BE HAPPY! BUT I'M NOT!

Currently out of town but since someone at home likes to read my mail :idea: I know my scores. They're:

I honestly don't even care about my high Quant. and Chem. scores because of Reading Comp. I'm borderline disappointed with Biology. I distinctly remember some EASY questions that I blanked on.

Truthfully, the only section that I'm satisfied with is Verbal. I was expecting my Verbal and Reading scores to be switched. I'm not making excuses here but my bladder really was about to explode during Reading Comp. so I had to go the restroom. There was no way around it! In fact, I went to the Womens restroom because someone was already in the Mens and I didn't want it to look suspicious. In retrospect, I'm sure it looks suspicious when a man runs into the womens.

Anyone want to predict what my Composite would be if I scored in the lower to mid 80s for Reading?

I compared with some other very similar scores and I think I would have had an overall 97 Composite. UGH!

I don't know if it's the same for every test that day, but for mine I know for a fact that the 2nd essay was graded.

Obviously dissapointment comes cause you know you can do better in the reading. However, you have to realize how good your score is and how many would die to have it.

Hopefully I will get a score that good in my next try.

Are you serious?

You're either a troll or you're joking. I didn't take the june test so I can't say if its hard or not but for you to be here saying about 3 point difference in composite is just pure malarkey.

Also I'm also interested in knowing how everyone did on their kaplan course in relation to the real PCAT. I'm almost finishing my course and I been doing that and going over my books as well for the aug test.