June 2008 PCAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdhoward

PharmD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in central Texas and I received my scores today. Postmarked yesterday from San Antonio.

PharmCAS does NOT show to have received my scores.

I'm a little bummed out.:( Do you guys think my scores will give me a shot?

Verbal: 57
Biology: 58
Reading Comp: 32
Quantitative: 52
Chemistry: 64

Composit: 51

I have an overall 3.2 gpa and 12 years of pharmacy tech expirence.

Members don't see this ad.

You're either a troll or you're joking. I didn't take the june test so I can't say if its hard or not but for you to be here saying about 3 point difference in composite is just pure malarkey.

Also I'm also interested in knowing how everyone did on their kaplan course in relation to the real PCAT. I'm almost finishing my course and I been doing that and going over my books as well for the aug test.

hey man, i heard that kaplan course is useless, but i heard also they give you some good practice exams, how are you studying for the august one,,,which boooks ur using

so mad bc i only went up 2 percentile points from my last PCAT.

VERBAL 76
BIO 74
READING COMPREHENSION 83
QUANTITATIVE ABILITY 67
CHEMISTRY 83
CONVENTIONS OF LANG 4.0
PROBLEM SOLVING 3.0

COMPOSITE 82

I used my lunch break at work to run home and check my mailbox....here's mine.

Mult. Choice:

Verbal : 95
Bio : 79
Reading Comp: 92
Quantitative : 26 <----------BLARGH
Chem : 78

Composite : 84

Writing:
Conventions of language : 4.0 (mean 2.90)
Problem Solving : 4.0 (mean 2.93)

So....the quantitative definitely sucks, I could've been 90th percentile if I did better. I totally didn't remember any pre-calc. Since my GPA is so low (I'm talking below 3.0 overall), I'm thinking I'll be taking this again in August. Time for the $175 late fee...anyone else agree with my thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
apteryx, I just hope you don't live in California. All the test sites there are full. Good luck on the August one.

By the way, good job on the essay portion.

Just got my results...I'm 4rm GA. I'm not gonna post them due to pure shame, embarrassment and disappointment but I think a trained monkey can get a higher composite than what I just got :(.

I see my Pharmcas say they received it today. So, I am gonna post it when I open my mail box. Best of luck to me!!

Pharmcas has my results....I feel nervous already. I'm from Ohio, took the exam in Cincinnati. Will be checking my mail later on today

I used my lunch break at work to run home and check my mailbox....here's mine.

Mult. Choice:

Verbal : 95
Bio : 79
Reading Comp: 92
Quantitative : 26 <----------BLARGH
Chem : 78

Composite : 84

Writing:
Conventions of language : 4.0 (mean 2.90)
Problem Solving : 4.0 (mean 2.93)

So....the quantitative definitely sucks, I could've been 90th percentile if I did better. I totally didn't remember any pre-calc. Since my GPA is so low (I'm talking below 3.0 overall), I'm thinking I'll be taking this again in August. Time for the $175 late fee...anyone else agree with my thoughts?

If I were you, Id be having these thoughts:

1) Yeah, above an 80!
2) 26 is horrible, but at least its only 1 section you need to improve

Why take it in August? Cant you wait until the October exam? I would do it then and take this time to study the math sections of the available PCAT - not Kaplan, obviously. :rolleyes:

Id be feeling pretty good, but you should take it again and see what happens. :thumbup:

This site has been a huge help so I'd like to give a little something back. Here are my Kaplan "final exam" scores compared to my actual PCAT. The only studying I did was go through the entire Kaplan book and the entire Barron's book. The following Kaplan scores are the % I got right:

Verbal: 85% (PCAT 98)
Biology: 77% (PCAT 90)
Reading: didn't bother (PCAT 83)
Chemistry: 94% (PCAT 93)
Quantitative: 73% (PCAT 81)

PCAT composite: 96

I recommend Kaplan with the following caveats: not enough trig, not NEARLY enough o-chem. I got 4.0 on both the writing sections, is that out of 4 or 5?

These are my percentiles:
Verbal:71
Biology:58
Reading:43
Quantitative:81
Chem:78
Composite:71

I'm not sure if i should take this again in October. I can never get into the passages because they are always boring.

I have my BS with a GPA of 3.8 and science GPA of 3.8, with about four months of pharmacy experience (pharm tech). What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
First time taking PCAT. Studied Kaplan PCAT for 3 weeks. Results:

Writing: Conventions of Language 3.0
Problem Solving 3.0

Verbal 450 97%
Bio 90%
Reading Comp 426 83%
Quant 412 62%
Chem 450 95%

Composite 434 94%

About me: GPA 3.2, nontrad student, taken 2 years of prereqs

Kaplan's math prep is not very helpful, as you can see from my Quant score. Any thoughts on math review options would be appreciated.

FYI: I'm in Kansas City, MO. So, Missouri folks should get their results soon!

Im soo bummed!

Verbal: 51
Biology: 79
Reading: 57
Quantitative: 85
Chemistry: 97

Composite: 84

I was getting in the 90's range for Bio, Quantitative, and Reading when I was doing all my practice! August, here I come... :(

I live in Delaware
I just got my PCAT score, but I don't know what the % are, I only know the scaled scores. Can any one help me please.

verbal 359
biology 399
reading 365
math 382
chemistry 398
composite 381

Hey would you mind posting what your scaled scores were for each section? I'm curios to see what scores (not percentiles) put you in the 90's.. just curious! Thanks

Verbal Ability - 436 - 92%
Biology - 453 - 97%
Reading Comprehension - 420 - 76%
Quantitative Ability - 465 - 98%
Chemistry - 457 - 97%
Composite - 446 - 98%

Conventions of Language - 3.0
Problem solving - 3.0

I live in Delaware
I just got my PCAT score, but I don't know what the % are, I only know the scaled scores. Can any one help me please.

verbal 359
biology 399
reading 365
math 382
chemistry 398
composite 381

Hey my scores were VERY close to yours, My composite was a 390 which i thought sounded alright.. till i looked at the %'s! tell me why I know people who got 380's on other PCATS and had a 50% or higher, but my % was half that? Now i hear that if i raise my score % by 50 or more on the next PCAT, which is my goal, they'll accuse me of cheating and not count my score?? :confused:

Verbal Ability - 436 - 92%
Biology - 453 - 97%
Reading Comprehension - 420 - 76%
Quantitative Ability - 465 - 98%
Chemistry - 457 - 97%
Composite - 446 - 98%

Conventions of Language - 3.0
Problem solving - 3.0

wow- great composite %! It amazes me so much that a difference less than 50 points makes the difference between a 30% and a 90%... the grading system for this test is crazy. thanks for posting.. makes me feel better about my scaled scores, but sick about PR %

It works like this: 400 = 50%. Any scores below 400 are below average. You will definitely need to take it again. The percentiles are what really matter and are easier to understand than the raw scores.

So, finally got the mail from the post office, and my scores are..

Verbal Ability: 408 (61)
Biology: 445 (95)
Reading Comprehension: 403 (50)
Quantitative Ability: 456 (97)
Chemistry: 443 (93)
Composite: 431 (92)

I continue to blame English not being my first language for my low verbal and reading comprehension scores. harhar. Is there any reason why I should retake the PCAT?

I had my scores sent to my home address since I'm currently switching apartments down at school...after my dad read me the first (verbal) score I was a little worried, but luckily there was an upward trend :D

Verbal 76
Biology 90
Reading Comp. 92
Quant. Ability 99
Chemistry 95

Composite 97

Writing 3 and 3

Got these scores...Should I be concerned? I am new to applying to pharmacy school. Seven years as CPhT (1st 4 in retail, latter 3 in hospital) and BS in Biology/International Business

PCAT Scores:
Verbal Ability: 89th percentile
Biology: 93rd percentile
Reading Comprehension: 88th percentile
Quantitative Ability: 57th percentile
Chemistry: 68th percentile
Composite Percentile: 86th percentile.

Essay Scores:
Conventions of Language: Scored 3.0
Average for test 2.9

Problem Solving: Scored 3.5,
Average for test 2.93

BallnGlove, your scores are very presentable and retaking the PCAT is not necessary unless your GPA is really low.

Verbal: 89 (good enough for me)
Bio: 79 (felt like I could do better....get lucky with questions I know next time?)
Reading: 76 (I had plenty of time, I should have gone back)
Quant: 57 (Kaplan is NOT enough if youre 3+ years out of beginning math)
Chemistry: 73 (not bad, all things considering)

Comp: 80

Ill be taking it again later this year after brushing up on Chemistry and Math. As far as test day prep Im going to : bring snacks (I was starved) and bring a comfy sweater. Im fairly confident I can pull very close to a 90 next time :D

This site has been a huge help so I'd like to give a little something back. Here are my Kaplan "final exam" scores compared to my actual PCAT. The only studying I did was go through the entire Kaplan book and the entire Barron's book. The following Kaplan scores are the % I got right:

Verbal: 85% (PCAT 98)
Biology: 77% (PCAT 90)
Reading: didn't bother (PCAT 83)
Chemistry: 94% (PCAT 93)
Quantitative: 73% (PCAT 81)

PCAT composite: 96

I recommend Kaplan with the following caveats: not enough trig, not NEARLY enough o-chem. I got 4.0 on both the writing sections, is that out of 4 or 5?

can everyone post like this? its more helpful for people that's about to take the test to see if kaplan is helpful or not.

well look like every single one of you have had good scores over 75+ except like a few.

I am one of those exceptions, I guess!! (Meaning that I did bad)...

Ok I am sort'a confused here...how do u calculate the percentile when u have something like 400 in each section. Any help would be great!!!:scared:

I am one of those exceptions, I guess!! (Meaning that I did bad)...

Ok I am sort'a confused here...how do u calculate the percentile when u have something like 400 in each section. Any help would be great!!!:scared:

probably some algorithm from hartcourt that nobody know no point in knowing because you can't argue this over with them.

I am so bummed about my scores. I got an 82, but it feels like such an ugly number! I did well in Verbal and Bio, but my Quantitaive and Reading aren't so hot. Sigh... I don't know whether to take the PCAT again. The June test was the first time I took it, but I really don't have time to study in August (working full-time). Both my sci and cum GPAs are 3.6. I have one year pharm tech experience in inpatient hospital. Leadership in a cultural club for 3 years. Getting a BS in Biology. Did 2 summer internships in healthcare. Do I still have a chance, or should I really take the PCAT again?? Please help.

I got my scores today. It was my first time.

Verbal 478 99%
Bio 433 90%
Reading 411 63% I'm a slow reader
Quant 409 57% Time was a big issue
Chem 428 83% I only just started o'chem when I wrote the PCAT

Comp 432 92%

Conv of Lang 4.0
Problem solving 3.0 This is actually better than I expected. I can write well, but I need time to plan. I thought what I wrote was all bs.

I'm not happy with the low math and reading, but I think the composite is good enough. And I really don't want to study for it again. I used the Kaplan book, Audiolearn, Cliff notes (inexpensive and good prep for building test stamina), and I did the harcourt practice tests (worth it). IF I do it again, I'll hire a private tutor to build speed on math and chem. It'll be cheaper than the Kaplan test.

Last edited:
I am totally confused...please help...

Last edited:
Here are my scores..which I thought were embaressing...well but i took em..so...

Also, please let me know how do i calculate to know where I stand...

Verbal 405
Biology 409
Readin.. 403
Quantita. 400
Chem 391
Composite 402

How do I calculate what percent I stand?

I need at least 70% and above to have some chance...

Here are my scores..which I thought were embaressing...well but i took em..so...

Also, please let me know how do i calculate to know where I stand...

Verbal 405
Biology 409
Readin.. 403
Quantita. 400
Chem 391
Composite 402

How do I calculate what percent I stand?

I need at least 70% and above to have some chance...
You do not calculate anything; it is already calculated by Harcourt. On your score report, your percentile rank should be right next to your scaled score. No further calculations required.

hey guys!
is the scale score between a 200-600?
What I don't understand is why people will 400+ get a 90%+ in those sections of the exam when 400 is equivalent to a 50. Does that mean people can miss a lot of questions and still get a decent score?

Thanks!

and congrats to everyone who did well! :)

i don't know but i do know that my friend got a 429 for chemistry and he got at 90% while a few post up the guy had 428 and he was only at 83%, just goes to show each point past 400 is huge difference.

Here are my scores...
verbal - 408 - 61
biology - 453 - 97
chemistry - 428 - 83
reading - 407 - 57
quantitative - 412 - 62
composite - 422 - 83

I feel like the composite is decent, but those three scores in reading comprehension, verbal, and quantitative are awful. Should I definitely retake it? I'm just looking for some advice. This was my first time taking it, and I don't really know where I stand in competitiveness.

So, any reason to retake the PCAT due to (61) verbal and (50) reading comprehension with a 92 composite score? Or just go with it?

So, any reason to retake the PCAT due to (61) verbal and (50) reading comprehension with a 92 composite score? Or just go with it?

I would just go with it because thats a very good composite, but especially because the verbal and reading sections are the most difficult to study for/ improve on imo.

Phuang06, I would just go with what you have because you did really well in chemistry, biology, and math. I would not risk retaking to end up scoring lower in the sections you scored really well on.

I got my scores today in the mail.

Verbal - 422 (81%)
Biology - 433 (90%)
Reading - 426 (83%)
Quantitative - 444 (94%) --- what?! Didn't expect this at all.
Chemistry - 423 (78%)
Composite - 430 (91%)

Conventions of Language - 3
Problem Solving - 3

Overall I'm quite satisfied, I wanted this type of score where I have a 90%+ composite and all sections except one over 80%. I sort of expected the chem to be below 80. I concentrated way too much on general chem and memorizing all those formulas instead of trying to learn more orgo. Should've listened to the advice here and gone with something else other than Kaplan for ochem, lol. Oh well, overall I am pleased with the scores, especially quantitative considering I guessed something like 5-7 questions. I think this is the first and last time I'll write the PCAT haha.

I got my scores today in the mail.

Verbal - 422 (81%)
Biology - 433 (90%)
Reading - 426 (83%)
Quantitative - 444 (94%) --- what?! Didn't expect this at all.
Chemistry - 423 (78%)
Composite - 430 (91%)

Conventions of Language - 3
Problem Solving - 3

Overall I'm quite satisfied, I wanted this type of score where I have a 90%+ composite and all sections except one over 80%. I sort of expected the chem to be below 80. I concentrated way too much on general chem and memorizing all those formulas instead of trying to learn more orgo. Should've listened to the advice here and gone with something else other than Kaplan for ochem, lol. Oh well, overall I am pleased with the scores, especially quantitative considering I guessed something like 5-7 questions. I think this is the first and last time I'll write the PCAT haha.

I'm surprised you didn't get a higher composite. I think the way hartcourt average is that if you get a very high 90s like 97-99 you'll definitely get a high 90s. My friend got a similar score to your composite but he's other 2-3 subject were definitely lower than yours but he got a 98-verbal and 97 chem. I think if you score really high on two or three you'll get a high composite.

I'm surprised you didn't get a higher composite. I think the way hartcourt average is that if you get a very high 90s like 97-99 you'll definitely get a high 90s. My friend got a similar score to your composite but he's other 2-3 subject were definitely lower than yours but he got a 98-verbal and 97 chem. I think if you score really high on two or three you'll get a high composite.
Yeah, quite puzzling... Harcourt should definitely release the formulas on how they calculate the percentile scores and such, because right now no one knows how the scores are compiled.

Yeah, quite puzzling... Harcourt should definitely release the formulas on how they calculate the percentile scores and such, because right now no one knows how the scores are compiled.

Having taken the PCAT in the previous year's cycle as well as the first offering for the current year's cycle, I have concluded that the normal group has changed. We are not being compared to the same group of stats.

I'm not sure, but I would bet that they change the stats for comparison every year.

^ Yes... I think they always use the group of examinees from the past year. So for the 2008 PCATers, we would be compared against the 2007's.

I don't understand why Harcourt cannot provide this information. Why couldn't we see the general trend?

I'm from northwest Illinois and got mine yesterday...I also know someone in Chicago who got theirs last Saturday

Never mind, I just got it in the mail today!

Verbal: 436- 92%
Bio: 420- 79%
Reading: 438- 92%
Math: 406- 52%
Chemistry: 428- 83%
Composite: 426- 87%

Math score totally killed me...errr. Overall, I'm OK with it, although I would have liked getting 90%. I kind of want to retake it b/c I've gotten 90's on practice tests but I'm still debating since this score is decent.
What do y'all think?

If I retake it I need to study for August...otherwise I already have plans for a vegas trip with friends...

Btw, my gpa is 3.25 and I already graduated last year so I have a degree already. I have a year of fellowship experience at Johns Hopkins and volunteered with the pharmacy dept there too. I do have a better post-bacc gpa (~ 3.7) for a few required courses.

I'm so torn, suggestions?

I'm from northwest Illinois and got mine yesterday...I also know someone in Chicago who got theirs last Saturday

Never mind, I just got it in the mail today!

Verbal: 436- 92%
Bio: 420- 79%
Reading: 438- 92%
Math: 406- 52%
Chemistry: 428- 83%
Composite: 426- 87%

Math score totally killed me...errr. Overall, I'm OK with it, although I would have liked getting 90%. I kind of want to retake it b/c I've gotten 90's on practice tests but I'm still debating since this score is decent.
What do y'all think?

If I retake it I need to study for August...otherwise I already have plans for a vegas trip with friends...

Btw, my gpa is 3.25 and I already graduated last year so I have a degree already. I have a year of fellowship experience at Johns Hopkins and volunteered with the pharmacy dept there too. I do have a better post-bacc gpa (~ 3.7) for a few required courses.

I'm so torn, suggestions?