June 2008 PCAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdhoward

PharmD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in central Texas and I received my scores today. Postmarked yesterday from San Antonio.

PharmCAS does NOT show to have received my scores.

I'm a little bummed out.:( Do you guys think my scores will give me a shot?

Verbal: 57
Biology: 58
Reading Comp: 32
Quantitative: 52
Chemistry: 64

Composit: 51

I have an overall 3.2 gpa and 12 years of pharmacy tech expirence.

Members don't see this ad.

Verbal Ability 411/ 66
Biology 399/ 45
Reading Comp 399/ 43
Quant Ability 382/ 14
Chemistry 382/ 19
Composite 395/ 33

I have not taken any organic chemistry courses yet, only had prepped with what was in the study books I had bought briefly. I will be re-taking (obviously, right?) in October. My goal is to raise my composite to at least 70.:rolleyes:

Currently out of town but since someone at home likes to read my mail :idea: I know my scores. They're:

Verbal Ability: 426 - 85%
Biology: 428 - 87%
Reading Comp.: 416 - 71%
Quant.: 450 - 96%
Chemistry: 450 - 95%

Composite: 435 - 94%

Conventions of Language: 3.0
Problem Solving: 3.0

Overall I'm disappointed. Obviously it's due to the Reading Comp.
I honestly don't even care about my high Quant. and Chem. scores because of Reading Comp. I'm borderline disappointed with Biology. I distinctly remember some EASY questions that I blanked on.

Don't bother PMing me for them; I'm taking them to the grave.

Truthfully, the only section that I'm satisfied with is Verbal. I was expecting my Verbal and Reading scores to be switched. I'm not making excuses here but my bladder really was about to explode during Reading Comp. so I had to go the restroom. There was no way around it! In fact, I went to the Womens restroom because someone was already in the Mens and I didn't want it to look suspicious. In retrospect, I'm sure it looks suspicious when a man runs into the womens.

Anyone want to predict what my Composite would be if I scored in the lower to mid 80s for Reading?

I compared with some other very similar scores and I think I would have had an overall 97 Composite. UGH!

I don't know if it's the same for every test that day, but for mine I know for a fact that the 2nd essay was graded.

IM SUCH A BABY! WHY?!? I SHOULD BE HAPPY! BUT I'M NOT!

Man, you sound like a real prick!

verbal--(408) 61
biology--(406) 58
reading--(411) 63
quantitative--(465) 98
chemistry--(479) 99
composite--(434) 94

writing--3/3
What to do with bio?? I feel like I cheated the system and got a high score because of chem and math.
I understand how harcourt curves the percentiles though. If you take everybody's tests scores in each section, the graph would be a bell curve. And based on percentiles, the last itsy bit percents (like 98-99 or 0-1) would have a big point range while somewhere in the middle (around 50-51) would have few point range, since so many scores exists for it. Therefore, any extreme percentiles would mean very SS, as he SS and PR arent a linear relationship.

I have absolutely no confidence to do that well again on the test again, 94 nearly popped me eyes out as I was expecting a 60-70. And I doubt I would ever be able to do that well in chem again because the only reason was that I had just finished the ochem series.

Should I take it again? lol, such a high expectation to live up to though...

Members don't see this ad :)
And I did much better than I expected. Well, I sucked on the science sections (ya, I know they're important) but with only bio 101 and chem 101 under my belt I figured I didn't do too badly. Not sure if it's PC or not to post what I got but here it is:

Verbal Ability: 95
Biology: 58 (eek!)
Reading Comprehension: 83
Quantitative Ability: 94
Composite: 87

Writing: 4 on conventions, 3 on problem solving

I pretty much knew I bombed the biology section as soon as I left. I did well on the Baron's practice test on that section so I didn't study much and was definitely unprepared. My question is, can anybody reccomend a book specifically for the Bio section? I've just complete chem 102 and have a good OChem book to use to teach myself but I need to crack at least a 70 on each of the science sections when I retake the test Aug 23. It's frustrating, bc I know I can do well when I've been taught the material but if I want to apply for fall 09 admission I have to do it alone. Thanks for your help :)

Hi Everyone,

First time posting on this site. It was very useful reading other people's experiences and insights on the PCAT. I got my scores back on Monday.

Verbal 414, 71
Biology 428, 87
Reading 416, 71
Quantitative 465, 98
Chemistry 450, 95

Composite 435, 94

I graduated in 2006 so I have been out of serious school life for awhile. Took Kaplan and can not honestly say if it helped or not other than the fact that it kinda forced me to sit in a class and listen and study. I was a 2.98 student in college though, so I am kind of an anamoly.But, I always had a high apptitude in math. I think the Kaplan course was poor in teaching the quantitative section, but there is no reasonable method to teach years of math in matter of weeks. Scored 450s in the kaplan diagnostic and ended the final practice test with a 470. Anyways feel free to email me if you have any questions about quantitative or chemistry sections. I don't really remember specifics questions but I want to contribute and help where I can. Good luck to everyone in August

^ Yes... I think they always use the group of examinees from the past year. So for the 2008 PCATers, we would be compared against the 2007's.

I don't understand why Harcourt cannot provide this information. Why couldn't we see the general trend?

I found the normal group. Last year's exams were compared against first time PCAT scores from October 1998 - March 2003.

This year's exams are compared against first time PCAT scores from October 2004 - May 2007.

I suspect it will stay with this normal group for a while. It should also be noted that in the past few years have seen more people interested in pharmacy with necessary GPA's and PCAT scores to get in, going up.

I'm certainly not suprised now that I have looked at my scores again. I actually scored higher in my last test than I did before, but because the normal group changed, so does the percentile scores. You will have to answer several more questions correctly now, to gain better scores.

Verbal 95
Biology 95
Reading 76
Quantitative 99
Chemistry 98
Compositie 99

Writing 3 and 3

I'm a very happy girl!

Verbal: 89 (good enough for me)
Bio: 79 (felt like I could do better....get lucky with questions I know next time?)
Reading: 76 (I had plenty of time, I should have gone back)
Quant: 57 (Kaplan is NOT enough if youre 3+ years out of beginning math)
Chemistry: 73 (not bad, all things considering)

Comp: 80

Ill be taking it again later this year after brushing up on Chemistry and Math. As far as test day prep Im going to : bring snacks (I was starved) and bring a comfy sweater. Im fairly confident I can pull very close to a 90 next time :D

After reviewing the dates available it seems I have two choices: take the PCAT a week after I get back from my vacation in Mexico, or a week before my wedding. Talk about a rock and a hard place. :rolleyes:

So I paid the extra $50 and packed my old PreCalc and Algebra notes in my carry-on. Thanks a lot Harcourt! +pity+

I got my scores today. It was my first time.

Verbal 478 99%
Bio 433 90%
Reading 411 63% I'm a slow reader
Quant 409 57% Time was a big issue
Chem 428 83% I only just started o'chem when I wrote the PCAT

Comp 432 92%

Conv of Lang 4.0
Problem solving 3.0 This is actually better than I expected. I can write well, but I need time to plan. I thought what I wrote was all bs.

I'm not happy with the low math and reading, but I think the composite is good enough. And I really don't want to study for it again. I used the Kaplan book, Audiolearn, Cliff notes (inexpensive and good prep for building test stamina), and I did the harcourt practice tests (worth it). IF I do it again, I'll hire a private tutor to build speed on math and chem. It'll be cheaper than the Kaplan test.

I am jealous, I would love to have those scores! Im very confused, I have a 4.0 GPA (that Ive had to work very hard to maintain) and my composite was only 53%. I did pretty well in chemistry, average (around 55-60) on verbal, reading, and bio. The math killed me! I got an 8%!! I imagine that the math is what killed my composite.

My question to you is how is the audiolearn? Will it help my math? Also, do you (or anyone else reading) have any suggestions on improving my math? Thanks!!

the way the test is made is if u do really well on 2-3 subject like 90s you'll do well overall. Its better to have 2 98s and 4 50-60 then all 80s

the way the test is made is if u do really well on 2-3 subject like 90s you'll do well overall. Its better to have 2 98s and 4 50-60 then all 80s

Don't know if I agree with this statement. I would love to have all 80s. If you have all 80s, your composite should be in the low to mid 90s. The people that you see scoring in the 80s and still having a composite score in the 80s likely scored significantly lower than 80 in one category.

I believe if one were to score all in the 80s and someone were to have 2 98s and the rest in the 50-60 range, the person scoring in the 80s in all subjects will do better in the composite.

I am jealous, I would love to have those scores! Im very confused, I have a 4.0 GPA (that Ive had to work very hard to maintain) and my composite was only 53%. I did pretty well in chemistry, average (around 55-60) on verbal, reading, and bio. The math killed me! I got an 8%!! I imagine that the math is what killed my composite.

My question to you is how is the audiolearn? Will it help my math? Also, do you (or anyone else reading) have any suggestions on improving my math? Thanks!!

My advice to you on the math portion is start taking time practice test until you can get the majority of them in the time. Also in order to score higher on the math composite, for the ones that you don't know... go back and learn it well. It has to get to the point were you can do the problem in less than a minute. Finally... if you don't know it guess and go on... that was my problem on the last test and I only got a 79% on my quantitative portion although I did end up with a 86% composite.

Your composite is very low although your GPA will land you a spot at most non-PCAT schools. But unless you raise your PCAT to a higher level they will wonder at the dissonance between your GPA and PCAT scores. My final suggestion is to take one of their practice test online under real conditions and if you still do bad... take a prep course which will structure everything so that you can do better.

Hope this helps

My advice to you on the math portion is start taking time practice test until you can get the majority of them in the time. Also in order to score higher on the math composite, for the ones that you don't know... go back and learn it well. It has to get to the point were you can do the problem in less than a minute. Finally... if you don't know it guess and go on... that was my problem on the last test and I only got a 79% on my quantitative portion although I did end up with a 86% composite.

Your composite is very low although your GPA will land you a spot at most non-PCAT schools. But unless you raise your PCAT to a higher level they will wonder at the dissonance between your GPA and PCAT scores. My final suggestion is to take one of their practice test online under real conditions and if you still do bad... take a prep course which will structure everything so that you can do better.

Hope this helps

Are you saying that schools that dont require the PCAT will still see my PCAT scores? If so, will my 53 composite hurt my chances of getting into one of those schools, or will they have no idea (or interest) in what my PCAT score(s) are/is? I am applying to USN (in Utah). They dont require the PCAT, so I hope I havent hurt my chances with them by taking it and not doing very well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't know if I agree with this statement. I would love to have all 80s. If you have all 80s, your composite should be in the low to mid 90s. The people that you see scoring in the 80s and still having a composite score in the 80s likely scored significantly lower than 80 in one category.

I believe if one were to score all in the 80s and someone were to have 2 98s and the rest in the 50-60 range, the person scoring in the 80s in all subjects will do better in the composite.

i hope u realize they don't AVERAGE it like u would normally average grades.

i hope u realize they don't AVERAGE it like u would normally average grades.

I do realize that percentiles ares not averaged. Scaled scores ARE averaged to determine the composite scale score. I just think that 3 scores in the 50s and 60s will really drag down those 2 98s. Don't get me wrong, 98s are great, but they can't perform miracles when the other 60% of the sections are only run of the mill scores. That said, I do think the composite will be decent, just not as good as someone who's scores which are more consistent across the board, such as all scores in the 80s.

Last edited:
Verbal Ability 411/ 66
Biology 399/ 45
Reading Comp 399/ 43
Quant Ability 382/ 14
Chemistry 382/ 19
Composite 395/ 33

I have not taken any organic chemistry courses yet, only had prepped with what was in the study books I had bought briefly. I will be re-taking (obviously, right?) in October. My goal is to raise my composite to at least 70.:rolleyes:

I would advice that you start studying for PCAT from now until you are a Junior in college because a lot of people have a high GPA but low pcat scores. Make sure that you know the content been taught to you by your lecturers and just not aiming for A's n B's. There are strategies for preparing for this exam and Kaplan courses are a good source but you need to have finished studying before you take the course. Looking at your score, i think you haven't started at all so don't get disappointed, don't apply to pcat schools and start studying at least 3 hrs everyday. There is a lot to say about pcat but PM some of the people who had 90+ so they can hint you more on study strategies...goodluck

And I did much better than I expected. Well, I sucked on the science sections (ya, I know they're important) but with only bio 101 and chem 101 under my belt I figured I didn't do too badly. Not sure if it's PC or not to post what I got but here it is:

Verbal Ability: 95
Biology: 58 (eek!)
Reading Comprehension: 83
Quantitative Ability: 94
Composite: 87

Writing: 4 on conventions, 3 on problem solving

I pretty much knew I bombed the biology section as soon as I left. I did well on the Baron's practice test on that section so I didn't study much and was definitely unprepared. My question is, can anybody reccomend a book specifically for the Bio section? I've just complete chem 102 and have a good OChem book to use to teach myself but I need to crack at least a 70 on each of the science sections when I retake the test Aug 23. It's frustrating, bc I know I can do well when I've been taught the material but if I want to apply for fall 09 admission I have to do it alone. Thanks for your help :)

You should use Kaplan 2008-2009 for the Biology section. I've studied from that and Barron's so far and Barron's seems like the questions are too easy. I haven't taken the PCAT yet, I am in August, but I think using a variety of books is good prep, especially if you're struggling in a section. Also check out Schuam's outlines, I'm studying from those too.

Best of luck.

Are you saying that schools that dont require the PCAT will still see my PCAT scores? If so, will my 53 composite hurt my chances of getting into one of those schools, or will they have no idea (or interest) in what my PCAT score(s) are/is? I am applying to USN (in Utah). They dont require the PCAT, so I hope I havent hurt my chances with them by taking it and not doing very well!

Can anyone shead some light on this?

Hi. I just checked my scores and I am a little frustrated as my QA score is terrible.:

Verbal Ability 431 89
Biology 428 87
Reading Comp. 407 57
Qunatitative 388 21
Chemistry 438 90
Composite 418 77

As you can see, I did great on all sections except RC and especially QA. I can live with my reading comprehension score, but my QA score is so low. I do not want to retake this test for fear that I may not do as well on it and because it is a grueling process. Can someone please give me some feedback, please. Will my QA score affect me that much as my overall score is still 77 percentile?

Also, if I apply now, would it be possible for me to know before October's PCAT whether I am competative or not at those schools (I'm not that familiar with the speed of the pharmacy school application process)? If need be then, I can take the October PCAT and apply with that score.

Last edited:
I would advice that you start studying for PCAT from now until you are a Junior in college because a lot of people have a high GPA but low pcat scores. Make sure that you know the content been taught to you by your lecturers and just not aiming for A's n B's. There are strategies for preparing for this exam and Kaplan courses are a good source but you need to have finished studying before you take the course. Looking at your score, i think you haven't started at all so don't get disappointed, don't apply to pcat schools and start studying at least 3 hrs everyday. There is a lot to say about pcat but PM some of the people who had 90+ so they can hint you more on study strategies...goodluck

That is true, its almost imperative to take the the class first and learn it and then use kaplan for review. For example I'm teaching myself OChem2 content and it is going very slow compare to Ochem 1, gen chem, and bio because I have never taken ochem 2. All this stuff is completely new to me. So yeh its best to take the classes first.

so i took the june pcat and was extremely disappointed. my only concern is that i want to esubmit my pharmcas application SOON like this week soon, but i also plan on retaking in October. will i lower my chances of getting in if i esubmit before retaking and receiving a hopefully higher score?

so i took the june pcat and was extremely disappointed. my only concern is that i want to esubmit my pharmcas application SOON like this week soon, but i also plan on retaking in October. will i lower my chances of getting in if i esubmit before retaking and receiving a hopefully higher score?

I'm actually wondering that very same question. I'm hoping that they'll see I've signed up for the October PCAT on PharmCAS and hopefully that will help. i hope someone has some good insight for us.

I'm not familiar with the PCATs at all

is the 0-100 score everyone is listing their percentile? (so this would be on the same scale for everyone that took it in june 2008?)

Yes, the 0-100 score is a percentile, so it is normalized against your peers for the June 2008 exam. You also receive a 3-digit raw score for each section, but that's not normalized, so people usually don't mention those numbers.

--Garfield3d

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me how the scores that I'm getting on the Kaplan test prep might compare to my actual PCAT score? Does Kaplan inflate the scores, or are their tests pretty accurate?

I took my midterm test, and got a composite 457. I'm wondering what that could possibly end up being on the actual PCAT...

the midterm is real easy, the final is a bit tougher but not by much i say -10 composite but even then you're sitting at a 96% or higher percentage. I'd say take hartcourt test also.

My June Score:
Verbal - 19%
Biology- 78%
Reading - 24%
Quant - 96%
Chemistry- 99%
Comp- 83%
Writing 3.0/3.0
My overall GPA is 3.44 and my science GPA is 3.25. Do I have any chance or should I retake on October?
Thanks

quadforever - I think you have a good chance. I've heard that 80-85% composite is within the competitive range for most pharmacy schools.

There is a thread somewhere on here that is much more informative on this topic... it lays out whether or not you should retake the test based on your composite percentage. I tried to find it, but couldn't... does anyone else know what I'm talking about? If you can find this, you should read it, and that might help you decide.

quadforever - I think you have a good chance. I've heard that 80-85% composite is within the competitive range for most pharmacy schools.

There is a thread somewhere on here that is much more informative on this topic... it lays out whether or not you should retake the test based on your composite percentage. I tried to find it, but couldn't... does anyone else know what I'm talking about? If you can find this, you should read it, and that might help you decide.
It's in the second sticky at the top of the PCAT forum.

I took my first PCAT in june and got a composite of 58% and i feel like shooting myself.
What books did everyone use to get their high percentiles???
...im using the mcgraw hill, barrons, cliff nots, and some interactive note cards in a book thing.

My chem was a highest with 77% which was good considering ive never taken organic before but I scored a 94percentile on my general chem standardized test in college so i shouldve gotten higher, but i shouldve studied longer than i did which was only on weekend active studying...a lot of passive looking over crap did nothing.
Im not a bad student...I have a 3.6GPA so what does everyone recommend?

My verbal and quantitative brought me down the most...

Go back a do the online Pearson PCAT tests and figure out where you went wrong. Then go back to your high school algebra-calc classes and relearn the things that are slowing you down. Verbal...IDK...practice eliminating answers...? Go back to SAT to practice?

There is really no quick sure fire way to improve verbal unfortunately (memorizing word lists and stuff is a colossal waste of time imo, it just puts you in a worse mindset giving you a false perception of either (1) it's too daunting or (2) being overconfident, know word list = ace verbal wheee!), it's a mix of your ability to analyze tough English words and logical deduction that'll put you over the top in that section. You can do some SAT/MAT practice booklets but you're not going to improve overnight even after doing the books front to back.

However you can improve on your fact based stuff fairly quickly, start there and climb your way up. Biology is mostly pure fact recollection with some application (such as genetics calculations, but those are easy peasy). Concentrate on doing well if fact recall is your cup of tea. Then focus on fixing your more applied knowledge such as chemistry and quant, although to an extent chemistry does require some fact regurgitation such as organic reactions. I'd go back to precalculus from high school, go to Calculus I notes and make sure you understand all the precalc concepts. Reading comprehension is another section that you can do well on and can improve with practice (Examkrackers verbal passages comes to mind as a useful guide) - stay within the scope of the questions and don't try to be creative and you'll do well.

BTW passive studying sucks. I think you realize by now it doesn't work. Scanning the material over alone doesn't work well for everyone. Take notes on your study guides, copy the sections you don't understand word for word if you have to. Draw diagrams if it helps you understand better. Recite to yourself, find a study partner. etc etc. Start actively studying. Ask yourself: how did you get a 3.6 GPA? Think about that for a second and use methods that helped you get there and apply them to how you study the PCAT. Best of luck.

Cliffs: improve on easy stuff first then hard. Use study methods that helped you do well in college.

P.S. do yourself a favour and don't use Barrons.

P.P.S. this thread brings back memories. Nice to see quite a few 2008 PCATers got accepted into a pharmacy school.

Last edited: