June PCAT Scores are here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

All4MyDaughter

SDN Mommystrator
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I just received my June PCAT scores in the mail! :D I was napping, and dreamed they had arrived. When I woke up I asked my husband to check the mail and they were there. I'm happy!

Should we post our actual scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Alex_G said:
Will he have a chance at competitive programs. THanks.
Are there any non competitive programs anymore?

The verbal and reading section is over rated anyways. What really matters is the chem, bio, and math. Pharmacy is more logical, and full of left brain activities.

museabuse said:
Are there any non competitive programs anymore?

The verbal and reading section is over rated anyways. What really matters is the chem, bio, and math. Pharmacy is more logical, and full of left brain activities.

if the verbal and reading do not matter then, logically speaking, why would they be included at all on the exam.

Knowing how to read, write and analyze the english language is almost as important as math and chem. Maybe english is not very important in physics or engineering but .. in pharmacy I'm sure that communicating well in english is important and desirable

I think the admissions boards realize that people have different strengths and that is why they are willing to forgive a bad section on the PCAt

aubieRx said:
if the verbal and reading do not matter then, logically speaking, why would they be included at all on the exam.

Knowing how to read, write and analyze the english language is almost as important as math and chem. Maybe english is not very important in physics or engineering but .. in pharmacy I'm sure that communicating well in english is important and desirable

I think the admissions boards realize that people have different strengths and that is why they are willing to forgive a bad section on the PCAt

Pleassssse..... it is a standardized test. Stardardized tests include those categories. Yeah... you need to know how to read,write, and communicate. However all of the words in the verbal section I never use or see in any pharmacy literature, so tell me how that desribes my ability to communicate. Besides if you used any of those words with your patients you would get a dumb look. Tell me why would I say bovine when I can say cow?

The reading may be a way to determine who can read english but most of those questions were very subjective and I tend to over anaylize subjective questions... and end up getting them wrong. Not because I can't read or communicate. Probably just because I have a logical/analytical brain. The reading section was the only one I had time to go back through and check my answers yet I still scored relatively low to my other scores, due to its subjectivity I am not sure there was always a 100% right answer.

The best way to test if you can communicate is to interview and have you write a paper which i am glad to see they started.

I'll admit I am not the best at writing papers for english class but when it comes to technical papers it really doesn't matter too much, it's more about logic and understanding the subject. Creativity doesn't play much of a role in your writing for pharmacy as it did for english 101 and 102.

Members don't see this ad :)
museabuse said:
The reading may be a way to determine who can read english but most of those questions were very subjective and I tend to over anaylize subjective questions... and end up getting them wrong. Not because I can't read or communicate. Probably just because I have a logical/analytical brain. The reading section was the only one I had time to go back through and check my answers yet I still scored relatively low to my other scores, due to its subjectivity I am not sure there was always a 100% right answer.

Actually I thought logic had to be applied to the reading sections to eliminate answer choices. It wasnt subjective...just a process of filtering through what was incorrect/not as correct compared to the right answer. stupid? maybe. but there was reasoning behind it. I could explain in words why I choose each answer i did on that section over the others and why the other choices were wrong when compared with the correct answer.

Logic is not just found in math...word analogy problems are based on the logic of how words fit together, so in a way that section does measure logical ability :)

If you are going to say we'll never have to say "bovine" to be a pharmacist you might as well also start picking apart the whole test. You arent going to need to do gen chem gas law problems to be a pharmacist. You aren't going to have to know alot of that random bio stuff they put on the test to be a pharmacist. Basically I think its a test to make sure you walked away from a few years of college with some knowledge of something.

did i mention creative writing abilities? no. You brought that into the mix. :rolleyes: Writing things that utilize proper grammar and have a good structure is a skill in any profession. Some people are simply horrible writers and they come off sounding silly in written correspondence.

Life is good, I got my scores on Friday and got a 97th percentile with a 99 in Chemistry ( :eek: ) and a 95 in biology. I'm disappointed in RC and VA, but hey, I'll live with it. ;)

I'll post the rest after I get done with my weekend of fun since I'm on vacation from work! :D :D

Congrats DotP and others!

hi...congrats for your excellent job at PCAT...

I'm new to this forum....

Hopefully I will enjoy being in this group and learn many useful things

hi all4my daughter...

congrats on ur excellent job at PCAT.....

I'm new to this forum... .Hopefully I'll enjoy being in this forum and learn many useful things... :)

I think it's typical to score kinda low on RC and VA. These are the two subjects that everyone can do well on so it's more competitive. Plus it's harder to study for these, a lot of people can just draw from the vocab they have learned throughout their life. I thought the reading comp was VERY subjective and I usually had a hard time choosing between several of the possible answers. Just want everyone to know that I have consistently heard people say that RC and VA were their lowest scores, so don't worry, it seems to be typical. I think most pharm schools are much more concerned with Math/Bio/Chem sections.

I'm soliciting yet another opinion from this board: as I posted earlier, my RC is only 50% although my overall composite is 99%. I have contacted my main school of choice (the school I will apply for early decision) and the dir. of admission there told me to leave the PCAT alone (i.e. not to re-take it). However my other schools of choice agreed that I have to re-take just to "make sure that you have no regrets"

I hesitate to re-take at this point since I am studying for the PTCB test in September (which I heard was quite hard, plus I don't feel I have enough exposure as I have not worked as a PT before) and my overall composite is very high. My GPA is very good as well and all I am lacking is a tangible pharmacy experience which I plan to pursue. What are your thoughts on this? I appreciate any feedback/input. Many thanks.

rougemarie said:
I'm soliciting yet another opinion from this board: as I posted earlier, my RC is only 50% although my overall composite is 99%. I have contacted my main school of choice (the school I will apply for early decision) and the dir. of admission there told me to leave the PCAT alone (i.e. not to re-take it). However my other schools of choice agreed that I have to re-take just to "make sure that you have no regrets"

I hesitate to re-take at this point since I am studying for the PTCB test in September (which I heard was quite hard, plus I don't feel I have enough exposure as I have not worked as a PT before) and my overall composite is very high. My GPA is very good as well and all I am lacking is a tangible pharmacy experience which I plan to pursue. What are your thoughts on this? I appreciate any feedback/input. Many thanks.

My advice: DON'T take the PCAT again. Your composite, which is outstanding, can only go down from a 99, not up. You'll only have more regrets taking the exam again and wasting needless time worrying whether or not your overall composite will go down. Besides, your main school of choice advised you you're good to go. Focus on obtaining your certification as planned. I'm taking it in September as well and from what I've heard from those who passed is it's not that hard. Study as you are doing and you'll do well. Good luck. :thumbup:

I agree rougemarie. Your composite is so good that it will overshadow a low score in RC. Like I posted earlier, I think the admissions are used to seeing a low RC and VA on applicants. If you take it again it may go down. Plus, as someone else posted, a lower score in only 1 section indicates a special circumstance: fatigue, a freezing room, distraction of some kind, etc. I don't think you should have any regrets with a 99% composite!!

DownonthePharm said:
I got my golden ticket!

My PCAT scores arrived today:

verbal 496 99%
biology 498 99%
reading 440 95%
quant 419 81%
chem 429 87%
composite 456 99%

YAY!!!

My envelope was open, so I guess my $1000 bill dropped out. :p

wowowoowowow! congrats! :)

rougemarie said:

Id put the effort into getting experience to talk about in your interview rather than retaking the PCAT. I think it is mean of them to suggest you should go thru the ordeal and expense of taking it again when you have already shown yourself to be a great student on the other sections.

and remember, a 50 percent score still means that half of the applicants are below you. its not like you got a 2 percent or something.

All4MyDaughter said:
Hello all,
I just received my June PCAT scores in the mail! :D I was napping, and dreamed they had arrived. When I woke up I asked my husband to check the mail and they were there. I'm happy!

Should we post our actual scores?
Congratz. You did very well. ^_^ I am taking my DAT soon, hope I do 99th percentile as well. Congratz again. Oh yah, I am pre-dental. I just want to express my compliments to you.

Take care,
Rich

Richnator said:
Congratz. You did very well. ^_^ I am taking my DAT soon, hope I do 99th percentile as well. Congratz again. Oh yah, I am pre-dental. I just want to express my compliments to you.

Take care,
Rich

Thank you very much! Good luck to you on your DAT.

Actually I thought logic had to be applied to the reading sections to eliminate answer choices. It wasnt subjective...just a process of filtering through what was incorrect/not as correct compared to the right answer. stupid? maybe. but there was reasoning behind it. I could explain in words why I choose each answer i did on that section over the others and why the other choices were wrong when compared with the correct answer.

Logic is not just found in math...word analogy problems are based on the logic of how words fit together, so in a way that section does measure logical ability :)

If you are going to say we'll never have to say "bovine" to be a pharmacist you might as well also start picking apart the whole test. You arent going to need to do gen chem gas law problems to be a pharmacist. You aren't going to have to know alot of that random bio stuff they put on the test to be a pharmacist. Basically I think its a test to make sure you walked away from a few years of college with some knowledge of something.

did i mention creative writing abilities? no. You brought that into the mix. :rolleyes: Writing things that utilize proper grammar and have a good structure is a skill in any profession. Some people are simply horrible writers and they come off sounding silly in written correspondence.

Calculus is important for Pharmacists. You have to understand math sometimes.