cajunfries

2+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello, everyone, this is my first time posting here and I am wondering if anyone can give me a feedback for what my chances are getting into a top 10 medical school. I am currently attending school in Minnesota

What I have done

So far I took the MCAT this year and scored a 526 ( 131 CARS, 132 CHEM AND PHYS, 131 PSYCH, and 132 in the BIOCHEM/BIO)
I am also a CNA at my hospital and I have been working for 2 years (500 hours+).
I also am part of the special Olympic soccer team and I am coach for this season.
I shadow the doctors in my hospital (8O hours).
My current standing GPA is 3.97
My major is Biochemistry
I did do research in high school but I don't think that counts anymore.

What I am doing my junior year

I am trying to get some research in but it is tough since I don't know where I should start looking.
I will try and get more volunteer hours since I don't think I have enough.

If you guys could give me some feedback and support that would be great.

slippydubloons

2+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Is your school large or small? I emailed professors and asked to speak with them about their work and honestly just demonstrating interest in what they do can go a long way. And even if they don't have positions available I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

Great job in the mcat/GPA, keep it up and add some research or whatever other ECs your passionate about and I don't see why you wouldn't be set for any medical school with stats like those!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Is your school large or small? I emailed professors and asked to speak with them about their work and honestly just demonstrating interest in what they do can go a long way. And even if they don't have positions available I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

Great job in the mcat/GPA, keep it up and add some research or whatever other ECs your passionate about and I don't see why you wouldn't be set for any medical school with stats like those!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Same. I walked over to a neuroscience professor who had a lab and asked to be a part of it. I expressed my goals and interests, and he hooked me up. For my latest research project, which was actually an independent project I came up with, I emailed a professor I really clicked with and asked him to be an advisor. That simple.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
In a 2013 AAMC survey* where 127 medical admissions offices responded, found research experience is only of medium importance at private schools and of low importanceto public schools as an experiential factor in offering both interview invitations and acceptance. Healthcare experience, community service/volunteer experience, experience with underserved populations, navigated through cultural barriers or challenges, leadership experience were considered of higher importance in factors for interview invites and offers of acceptances

*https://www.aamc.org/download/434596/data/usingmcatdata2016.pdf
see page 3 (pdf p7) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, and Demographic Application Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants to Receive an Interview Invitation and Offer Acceptance (N=127)

About the Ads