Just bought a glock 19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Still at the store getting a LaserMax laser sight installed.

Decided on the 9mm since I don't really plan on having it inside the house locked and loaded for protection since I have curious gorillas swinging about...will be used mostly for me to learn how to disassemble, assemble, care for a firearm with the help of an instructor and my Army MP son.....then learn how to shoot with accuracy....

I plan on shooting at the range and pulling it out for disasters like hurricanes.

I won't have to borrow a gun anymore when I stay during "mandatory evacuations."

Guess I need to buy some ammo.:help:

Members don't see this ad.

Decided on the 9mm since I don't really plan on having it inside the house locked and loaded for protection since I have curious gorillas swinging about...will be used mostly for me to learn how to disassemble, assemble, care for a firearm with the help of an instructor and my Army MP son.....then learn how to shoot with accuracy....

I plan on shooting at the range and pulling it out for disasters like hurricanes.

I won't have to borrow a gun anymore when I stay during "mandatory evacuations."

Love it!! more threads about guns. lol I just got a glock 30sf about a month ago. Now my gun fettish has advanced to one of these. I guess it will have to be my post boards welcome to your new job gift to myself.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/saarmy45LC.asp

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

What you want to do is go and get around 1000 rounds of the cheapest stuff you can find. It will be either Wolf or some similar junk. Its fine for practice but don't use it for home defense. Use it to get used to shooting. Get used to hitting the target. I generally recommend shooting around 200 rounds per session, after that fatigue sets in. Your mileage may vary.

Once the pistol is nice and broken in start looking at different ammo choices. Look for a decent hollow point round. There are different bullet weights (usually 115, 124 and 147 grains). A particular pistol may shoot better with a particular ammo or weight. Most shorter barrel pistols seem to shoot better with lighter weight ammo. Most of the name brand hollow points are pretty good.

Get yourself some extra mags. Its easier to load at home and take the magazines to the range than load at the range. Also get one of these:
http://www.pistoleer.com/hks/magazine/
It will save your thumb. Cabellas usually has most of this stuff. Of course you also need ear protection and eye protection. Then comes the range bag - then you need another pistol ... the addiction continues.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Hmm... I wonder if you live in the United States. Why don't you just have a moat around your house? With machine gun nests?

When I see these kind of posts, it makes me that much more thankful to live in Canada.

When I see these kind of posts, it makes me that much more thankful to live in Canada.

Yes because your gun registry has done a wonderful job at decreasing firearm crime in your country.

and fyi, it's easier to purchase an automatic weapon in Canada than it is in the U.S.

Sort of like Irak and Afganistan right? :rolleyes:

A true product of the American educational system: you can't spell foreign countries correctly.

Of course, you can purchase a handgun with no problems ( I imagine you can spell your name correctly on the forms). I encourage all of you American gun owners to clean your guns regularly (loaded, with the safeties off). Make sure you look down the barrel to ensure it is nice and clean. Darwinian evolution at its finest.

I encourage all of you American gun owners to clean your guns regularly (loaded, with the safeties off). Make sure you look down the barrel to ensure it is nice and clean. Darwinian evolution at its finest.

Again, inflammatory.

The Darwinian evolution which you suppose to be involved in curbing American genetic proliferation has, in the past 300 or so years, resulted not in the degradation of a population, but rather in the most powerful and prolific nation ever known in the history of mankind. If tomorrow there appeared a serious threat upon the right of humans in North America to live and prosper in freedom, the United States of America would be leading the way to preserve YOUR rights and the rights of every Canadian and American citizen. You can sit on the sidelines and bitch about some minor thing that you saw on TV or whatnot but ultimately the US is composed of a massive middle class who understand and demand their rights and are willing to fight for their due, and NO ONE will seriously f### with us. People who write all this anti-American BS can take that for granted all they want, but it doesn't change the role the USA has played in the establishment and maintenance of a stable world economy. So chill out with the inflammatory remarks.

Again, inflammatory.
The unprovoked inflammatory remarks I (unfortunately) often read by pissed off Canadians brings an analogy to mind. I know the Canadians love us... they don't wish us harm. They're just a little jealous. We're like the bigger, stronger, better looking brother with a much more massive dong. Despite the fact we've really got a loving relationship, a little bit of haterade is to be expected. We Americans, again, need to just be the bigger person (and good older brother) and simply forgive and forget. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
A true product of the American educational system: you can't spell foreign countries correctly.
What are you talking abooooot? He didn't spell foreign countries.

:thumbup:
Again, inflammatory.

The Darwinian evolution which you suppose to be involved in curbing American genetic proliferation has, in the past 300 or so years, resulted not in the degradation of a population, but rather in the most powerful and prolific nation ever known in the history of mankind. If tomorrow there appeared a serious threat upon the right of humans in North America to live and prosper in freedom, the United States of America would be leading the way to preserve YOUR rights and the rights of every Canadian and American citizen. You can sit on the sidelines and bitch about some minor thing that you saw on TV or whatnot but ultimately the US is composed of a massive middle class who understand and demand their rights and are willing to fight for their due, and NO ONE will seriously f### with us. People who write all this anti-American BS can take that for granted all they want, but it doesn't change the role the USA has played in the establishment and maintenance of a stable world economy. So chill out with the inflammatory remarks.

Sort of like Irak and Afganistan right? :rolleyes:

most importantly...who the fu ck cares how you spell these sh it bag countries whose existence is equivalent to 2 pimples on the ass of humanity.

Of course, you can purchase a handgun with no problems ( I imagine you can spell your name correctly on the forms). I encourage all of you American gun owners to clean your guns regularly (loaded, with the safeties off). Make sure you look down the barrel to ensure it is nice and clean. Darwinian evolution at its finest.

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that anti-gun people like dog here are also the vehement, angry people who like to throw around violent suggestions?

I would never suggest that I'd take revel should you be beat, murdered or otherwise taken advantage of by criminals because you're too high and mighty to own a few tool which could protect yourself. Your smug sense of intellectual superiority is unfounded and based on raw emotions without any facts which aren't debatable.

Absolutely this is the best ammo and it's what I carry in my glock 27. The self-defense ballistics are what you want in your ammo. A box of 20 rounds will set you back about ....... $20. So get some junk rounds for target practice.

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/9mm_Luger_PowRBall_Corbon.html

Now, fill out the paperwork for a Louisiana concealed carry permit. It's a slightly-tedious pain in the rear, but well worth the effort

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html

It's honored by reciprocity in about 40 states. Makes for peace of mind when driving across multiple state lines with the pistol in your car.

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#recip

Last edited:
Hmm... I wonder if you live in the United States. Why don't you just have a moat around your house? With machine gun nests?

Because Jet (the OP) and I happen to live in one of the most crime-ridden cities in the country ... courtesy of decades of corrupt politics of the "Democratic" party, whose sole purpose is continual reelection to office by perpetuating an unemployable constituency through anti-business, anti-education, anti-just about everything policies ... except continual government handouts for sitting on your a**, not working a real job, not earning a real paycheck.

That's why.

I would do just that ...but the homeowner's association has some Canadians on the board.

I'm thankful you live in Canada as well. I'll be down here enjoying my right to protect myself and my family.

I find it funny the arguments that anti-gun types use.... if someone wants to own/carry a gun then it MUST mean we want a return to the "wild west" days or we want to turn our house into a machine gun warehouse.

I pray it never happens, but do you have any sort of plan if someone breaks into your house? Hope they leave you alone? At least here, the police, at best, will be minutes away. I'll do what I have to do to protect the wife and myself, thanks.

ANYWAY... congrats to ya Jet! Enjoy it and become comfortable with it. Currently have a Kahr 9mm and thinking of getting another 9mm (possibly a Glock) as I may have to give this up to the wife for her to carry.

I pray it never happens, but do you have any sort of plan if someone breaks into your house? Hope they leave you alone? At least here, the police, at best, will be minutes away. I'll do what I have to do to protect the wife and myself, thanks.
Oh no, you see... if there are no guns then nobody can break into your house to rob you with one :rolleyes: :laugh:

Don't you love how the assumption is made that people who break the law, whom we're trying to protect ourselves from, will obey the law and not have a gun? :laugh:

:lol: :lol: i'm from Belgium (i think i spelled that right so don't tell me it's a city in Germany :smuggrin: ). If you notice on your keyboard the letter H is next to the letter G so typo = stupid in your book :idea:

:lol: :lol: i'm from Belgium (i think i spelled that right so don't tell me it's a city in Germany :smuggrin: ). If you notice on your keyboard the letter H is next to the letter G so typo = stupid in your book :idea:
The funniest part is, the guy was too dim to see that you were taking his side. :laugh: But, anyway, you know full well that what we're doing there isn't "war"...its politics. And, as far as "war" is concerned, we marched through Iraq in 3 days!

A MOAT AND MACHINE GUN NESTS?

Dude, seriously, judging from where I have to live,

THATS INGENIOUS.

Like Mil said, I'm gonna check with the neighborhood covenants and see if theres any problem with moats or machine gun nests.

IF THERE AIN'T, I MAY TAKE YOUR LEAD.

Thank you for the idea.

Last edited:
Jet, good choice on the Glock 19. I've had both the Glock 26 and 27.

For ammo, I would recommend never using reload. I put about 5000 rounds through each of my guns and the ONLY time I ever had one jam was with reload ammo (albeit that was only 4-5 times). Also, reload ammo isn't that much cheaper so not really worth the cost savings.

Jet, good choice on the Glock 19. I've had both the Glock 26 and 27.

For ammo, I would recommend never using reload. I put about 5000 rounds through each of my guns and the ONLY time I ever had one jam was with reload ammo (albeit that was only 4-5 times). Also, reload ammo isn't that much cheaper so not really worth the cost savings.

I'll add a caveat to this. Unless it's your reloads, it's not worth the money. And I do not shoot anyone elses reloads unless they are a big manufacture like Black Hills. In the past year and half I've gone through well more than 5000 of my own reloads without a single issue. And I've done the math, I've paid for my reloading equipment and the time I spent reloading with the amount I've saved by rolling my own ammo.

Glock 19 is an excellent piece. Very simple and very useful. Its a great piece for concealed carry too, infact I've been thinking of picking one up since my other pieces are a little too big to fit comfortably in my pants.

What does that mean, a "broken in" pistol?

And how can you tell when its been "broken in?"

hey, I'm no expert on Glocks but "breaking in" a pistol usually just means shooting a bunch of rounds (500+) through the gun and following the manufacturers recommendations for cleaning. iirc, it's recommended to use the same high-quality round throughout the break-in period. someone with more experience can elaborate..

I think it has mostly to do with metallurgic changes that occur when parts in the firing mechanism heat during use then cool back down.

hey, I'm no expert on Glocks but "breaking in" a pistol usually just means shooting a bunch of rounds (500+) through the gun and following the manufacturers recommendations for cleaning. iirc, it's recommended to use the same high-quality round throughout the break-in period. someone with more experience can elaborate..

I think it has mostly to do with metallurgic changes that occur when parts in the firing mechanism heat during use then cool back down.

Thanks.

So does it feel different after being broken in, or is it justa cycle, like breaking in a dirt bike engine?

Thanks.

So does it feel different after being broken in, or is it justa cycle, like breaking in a dirt bike engine?
Your chance of a misfeed or jam are higher in the first few hundred rounds (in my experience). Mostly breaking it in with a Glock means running a few hundred rounds through it to make sure you don't have any bad mags. The trigger may change a little (less stiff) depending on what combo you have on it. Otherwise just get used to your new pistol.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Great choice jet. I have a G22, and sometimes I wish I'd gone the 9mm route.

As far as the moat, my family used to live in Mandeville, LA and with the seriously heavy duty drainage ditches running in front of every property in that neighborhood extending one into a moat around your house shouldn't be too hard. The drawbridge might be a tad bit trickier. But extra points if you can operate it with the garage door opener.

:laugh: