Just curious - why AREN'T post-bac students treated better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adizzle87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm basically looking at a lot of predents.com profiles and I do see a lot of 3.6+ post-bac GPAs (with 20+ DAT scores), but I don't notice them getting as many interviews as say a 3.4+ regular sGPA people. I was told by a dean that doing well in a post-bac program will be seen as a clean slate, and will diminish the effects of a low ugrad sGPA. If thats the case, why are there so many 4.0 post-bac students barely getting interviews?

It's just a little frustrating because I'm thinking about doing one. I mean honestly what else can a person do besides do well in a post-bac program if their sGPA is below 3.2?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm basically looking at a lot of predents.com profiles and I do see a lot of 3.6+ post-bac GPAs (with 20+ DAT scores), but I don't notice them getting as many interviews as say a 3.4+ regular sGPA people. I was told by a dean that doing well in a post-bac program will be seen as a clean slate, and will diminish the effects of a low ugrad sGPA. If thats the case, why are there so many 4.0 post-bac students barely getting interviews?

It's just a little frustrating because I'm thinking about doing one. I mean honestly what else can a person do besides do well in a post-bac program if their sGPA is below 3.2?

Many post-bacs, me included, don't post on pre-dents.com. I had a 3.2 in undergrad with no BCP sciences taken at all, so I was starting from scratch. I took most of my pre-recs at a CA community college to boot; upper division courses, I took at UCLA (CC was harder, by the way, so don't just assume anything despite what people say on these boards).

Bottom line, I received six invites for interviews so far: I went to all six and was accepted at two dental schools and waitlisted at the remaining four. I got in on my first try: no research, no leading dental volunteer groups to South America, no working as a dental assistant, no leadership in clubs. For heaven's sake, I was working in a completely different industry for eight years before starting post-bac.

If you just read posts and talk to other pre-dents all the time, you're looking through a glass prism so to speak. The reality is that no one knows what the true selection factors are unless they are members of CURRENT adcoms. Most likely, the process is very political and to some degree arbitrary. So if you're interested in pursuing dentistry, just do it and stop overthinking it. You'll succeed eventually by doing well applying, lucking out, and not quitting.

I was told by a dean that doing well in a post-bac program will be seen as a clean slate, and will diminish the effects of a low ugrad sGPA.

i agree to the poster above but also as you mentioned it only diminishes the effects of the bad record and doesn't completely erases it. there's so many people applying straight from undergrad nowadays who's kept up the hard work throughout college that the post bacs have to compete with.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 3.6 in a post-bac isn't very impressive... If you're going to do a post-bac, you'd better get a 3.8-4.0, or else it's not worth doing at all IMHO.

A 3.6 in a post-bac isn't very impressive... If you're going to do a post-bac, you'd better get a 3.8-4.0, or else it's not worth doing at all IMHO.

That's not true. It all depends on the school and department. Many schools require post-bac students to maintain 3.8+ so everyone gets that, but definitely not all. The UW chem grad students I work with still compete for high gpas, with very few 3.8+ given out. It's just like so many schools with ridiculous undergrad grade inflation, hence the existence of a standardized test.

Numbers wise the post bac numbers are factored into the same pool as undergrad GPA. When doing the preliminary look over of applicant numbers the adcom sees one GPA number. This is the reason that many are choosing a masters, because there will be a new graduate GPA column on your AADSAS.

4.0 post-bac gpa on predents.com can mean that person just took one class and got an A. You can't rely on predents unless Pdizzle adds another column for quality hours or units completed (suggestion?)

I think post-bacc helps a lot and when you interview, you should mention that and it obviously looks really good and shows your motivation to get in.

Think of it as bad credit. Your grades might have been not-so-hot at first (bad credit) and you work your but off to increase your grades (increase credit). So, just because you recently have had good credit, should I necessarly take a chance on you in my dental school? That's what the adcoms guess.

Think of it as bad credit. Your grades might have been not-so-hot at first (bad credit) and you work your but off to increase your grades (increase credit). So, just because you recently have had good credit, should I necessarly take a chance on you in my dental school? That's what the adcoms guess.
no

I like your analogy.

depends on postbacc program and whether you did postbacc to do your prereqs

My post-bacc gpa is a 3.7. I'm not sure what kind of "post-bacc" programs the OP is referring to, but the ones where you basically retake undergrad level courses................even getting a high gpa in that won't completely erase your undergrad scores.

What I did for post-bacc was actually enroll as a non-degree student in the doctorate program at a local university, so I took/am taking all the same classes they are, just without the lab/teaching responsibilities. Let me tell you, these students are extremely bright, and compete for grades. The classes are very difficult.

IMHO, ^ doing the above would be a better option for students that have a ok undergrad gpa's......without C's and D's, versus doing one of those "retake undergrad postbacc programs" However if you do have C's, D's or lower in some core sciences............then you might want to do one of the afformentioned steps. Just my 2cents.

Happy holidays everyone!

My post-bacc gpa is a 3.7. I'm not sure what kind of "post-bacc" programs the OP is referring to, but the ones where you basically retake undergrad level courses................even getting a high gpa in that won't completely erase your undergrad scores.

What I did for post-bacc was actually enroll as a non-degree student in the doctorate program at a local university, so I took/am taking all the same classes they are, just without the lab/teaching responsibilities. Let me tell you, these students are extremely bright, and compete for grades. The classes are very difficult.

IMHO, ^ doing the above would be a better option for students that have a ok undergrad gpa's......without C's and D's, versus doing one of those "retake undergrad postbacc programs" However if you do have C's, D's or lower in some core sciences............then you might want to do one of the afformentioned steps. Just my 2cents.

Happy holidays everyone!

What university is this at?

Of course the undergrad is looked better upon, he/she didn't need a post-bacc because they already earned a decent GPA. It is completely fair that someone who worked their butt off during undergrad earns priority over someone who slacked off (though of course there are always some circumstances beyond control) and is therefore taking more classes as an older, more mature adult. Its just the way it is.

Happy holidays everyone!

I think anyone without C's and D"s should have legitimate chance of getting into dental school assuming mostly b's and some a's ~3.3?

I disagree with this.

The GPA isn't as important as what the post bac work is in.

for example, a masters in biology of chemistry would CERTAINLY look better than a MBA.

Why?

Because they want to know you can pass dental school and those degrees may help you, a MBA WILL NOT!

You guys can disagree all you want, it's just an opinion lol, a sentiment that I believe dental schools share. However, go out there and prove me wrong! get a 3.6 post-bac and get into dental school, and I will be very happy for you :)

also, I have friends that are doing an MPH with top grades to help get them into Dental School, but if that falls through, they will go into the Public Health field. Have a backup plan. Though if you got good DATs (20+) and poor undergrad GPA (by poor I mean 3.0 and not below that), than an 1-year biology SMP if probably the best choice. And I agree with the top poster than an MBA will not improve your application as much as a science-related Masters.

Well, I have just completed my first semester of graduate school at UMDNJ, and my GPA is a 3.0 on the dot. Its a masters program where you take classes with first year dental students, and let me tell you...the classes are HARD.

I have another 2 more semesters to go until it is completed... and I'm going to try my best to raise my GPA to around 3.3 - 3.4.

Anyone else here have an experience getting in after completing their post-bac??

i agree to the poster above but also as you mentioned it only diminishes the effects of the bad record and doesn't completely erases it. there's so many people applying straight from undergrad nowadays who's kept up the hard work throughout college that the post bacs have to compete with.

I did an all A/A+ post bacc to overcome an undergrad 2.5 GPA. With a 21/21/21 DAT, I had four interviews, 2 waitlists, and one acceptance.