Just curious...

Gigantron

Robot
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many is too many when applying to BS/MD programs? (In terms of money, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of money it would vary from person to person. People who apply to BS/MD programs tend to apply to a lot of schools because they also include Ivies and other top schools on top of those programs. It's whatever you can manage. Also, keep in mind that if a BS/MD program gives you an interview you will have to travel to their campus to interview. Many BS/MD applicants have gotten interviews only to turn them down because of lack of interest, time constraints and a long plane/car ride.

Would 11 BS/MD programs be considered "enough" in that case? I'm willing to travel to China if an interview is there (for some odd reason).

Members don't see this ad :)
Would 11 BS/MD programs be considered "enough" in that case? I'm willing to travel to China if an interview is there (for some odd reason).
What are your stats? If you are super competitive you can likely do less.

I think you should try to increase your GPA, get lots of medical e.c.s, and make sure you study hard for your SATS! I remember getting 1900-2100 range and ended up with a mere 1940.

In your case applying to 11 sounds good, but make sure you get as competitive as you can and have a compelling story.

I think you should try to increase your GPA, get lots of medical e.c.s, and make sure you study hard for your SATS! I remember getting 1900-2100 range and ended up with a mere 1940.

In your case applying to 11 sounds good, but make sure you get as competitive as you can and have a compelling story.
-I have an essay that would be good for any BS/MD program I'm applying to. No, it's not a sob story about how one of my friends/family/girlfriend/etc. had terminal cancer and how I watched them die in my arms while in palliative care which "inspired" me to become a doctor at the tender age of five, but rather a realistic look at how a little childhood experience I had would lead me to wanting to become a doctor by the time I finished sophomore year.

As for medical EC's, would 250+ Hospital Volunteering Hours and 150+ hours shadowing an Anesthesiologist and a Cardiologist (the anesthesiologist happens to be writing a LOR for me) be good so far?

Go for it! Although your SAT score range may not be great, your ECs and essays might make up for it. I didn't have a high SAT score but ended up being interviewed for two BS/MD programs. Also, some require an interview; so just be honest and sincere :]