Just got email from NRMP, it is true???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medsRus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got email on 11:50 AM (EST), is it true???

Members don't see this ad.

Nope; just a good ole' headfake from the NRMP.

I thought the subject line was cute. I expected something more bland from them. 10 Minutes early eh?

NOPE. IT'S TRUE!!!!

Congratulations! You have matched

I matched, but server was louvi.ease.lsoft.com...should I be worried :cool:

Mine was 11:54.... I was pretty sure I had matched, but still REALLY nice to see for sure!

Oh... you better be careful man. Maybe you'll get an empty envelope on match day..... j/k :laugh:

I matched too! Went to the NRMP website to confirm and then printed out the webpage, just in case they try to take this away from me! :p Congrats to all who matched!

Now, I know that applicants who matched into advanced and not prelim can get the city they matched it, can someone who got "Congratulations! You have matched." get this too???

Matched! We're all that much closer to finding out. Congrats to all who matched!

Actually, there is an exception for those who ever registered as a couple (match) -- even if they cancelled it and went alone in the match. Just call in if that is the case and one member did not match.... (202) 828-0566
or Toll Free 1-866-617-5838

Last edited:
5 minutes early, nice! appreciated the short and simple message too.

I was looking at the unfilled positions by region and I noticed that there are very few spots left for the scramble. This scramble is going to be brutal. I think this is a sure sign of things to come. IM only has 52 open spots this year. Peds has 45. Surgery only has 2 left. But anesthesia has 26, go figure.

Best/Worst prank ever: One of my first year roommates (who had already matched into Uro) made a fake Gmail account NRMP and pranked my other first year roommate with a Sorry you didn't match email at 11am... good thing he actually did match though...

oh boy. the last 30 minutes before that email from NRMP were probably longer than the rest of my life! but YAY, i now have a job!! :D

i matched in neurology. i thought i could wait till thursday but just wondering, if you match in joint advanced+prelim neuro (as opposed to categorical) would u get an email saying, "u have matched in both advanced and prelim", or just the same short n sweet "congrats, you have matched" ??? any thoughts?

Actually, there is an exception for those who ever registered as a couple (match) -- even if they cancelled it and went alone in the match. Just call in if that is the case.... (202) 828-0566
or Toll Free 1-866-617-5838

Actually, that is only if at least one member of the couple failed to match for any part of their match. If both matched successfully, they will still not tell you as a couple. I am a member of a couple, and I called them a while back about this.

We both matched! w00t!

oh boy. the last 30 minutes before that email from NRMP were probably longer than the rest of my life! but YAY, i now have a job!! :D

i matched in neurology. i thought i could wait till thursday but just wondering, if you match in joint advanced+prelim neuro (as opposed to categorical) would u get an email saying, "u have matched in both advanced and prelim", or just the same short n sweet "congrats, you have matched" ??? any thoughts?

1. Congratulations, you have matched!
This message will be displayed for any applicant who is "fully" matched, including

• Applicants who listed and matched to a categorical program.
  • Applicants who listed and matched to preliminary and advanced programs.

Other conditions also apply. Applicants who listed only advanced programs on their certified rank order lists and did not list any preliminary positions on a supplemental rank order list will receive this message. Similarly, applicants who included only preliminary programs on their certified rank order lists will receive this statement. The matching algorithm considers an applicant "matched" if he/she lists only one program type on his/her certified rank order list. Applicants who receive this message will not have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs that is posted on Tuesday of Match Week.

Last edited:
wow... looking at the stats:

IM Categorical: 52 total unfilled
OBG: 5 total unfilled
Surgery Categorical: 2 total unfilled
Peds: 45
Psych: 16

Insane stats this year... although Neurosurg and Ortho each have 3 unfilled spots too, ENT has 1 unfilled...

even prelim, only 105 med prelim and 35 transitional unfilled... looks like most scramblers are going for Surg prelim (461) or Family Med (224)

Insane stats this year... although Neurosurg and Ortho each have 3 unfilled spots too, ENT has 1 unfilled...

even prelim, only 105 med prelim and 35 transitional unfilled... looks like most scramblers are going for Surg prelim (461) or Family Med (224)

As history dictates, there are likely 10 times as many people who need to vie for a PGY-1 spot for advanced positions -- and those who have matched into a PGY-2 get preference.

Last edited:

Can somone post a link as to where these results are located? Thanks.

Where did you get this information? Are the programs listed?

Where did you get this information? Are the programs listed?

Of course individual programs are not listed. It is found in NRMP after you signin and under My Reports.

yep. i don't wish tomorrow's scramble on my worst enemy. i have a copy of 2008's regional stats when my brother matched.

2008-unfilled spots
IM: 107
OBGYN: 12
SURG: 2
PEDS: 87
PSYCH: 56

just brutal.

I matched, and I was a lychee through and through. Sorry, fake matchers! I've got the golden ticket!

I was louvi on the previous NRMP email, but the one I got today is lychee. This means that I was probably unmatched a couple days ago, but I managed to match somewhere in the end. Whew! What a come-from-behind victory!

If you go to "all programs accept shared pairs" under my reports, you can see some of the specific programs that have not matched. The IM and radiology vacancies were the most shocking.

You can find the complete report under My Reports when you log into NRMP but I will hit the highlights for everyone here.

PGY-1/ PGY-2 Unfilled spots remaining:

Anes 26/ 30
Derm 2/ 4
EM 16
FM 224
IM (cat) 52
Med Prelim 105
Neuro Surg 3
Neuro 0/ 22
OBGYN 5
Ortho 3
ENT 1
Path 19
Peds 45
PM&R 7/ 9
Plastics 0
Psych 16/ 1
Rads 2/ 4
Rad-Onc 0/7
Surg (cat) 2
Surg Prelim 461
Transitional 35

Total (from the complete report) 1060 PGY-1 spots unfilled, 82 PGY-2 spots.

Last edited:
If you go to "all programs accept shared pairs" under my reports, you can see some of the specific programs that have not matched. The IM and radiology vacancies were the most shocking.

Are you sure those are unfilled programs?

You can find the complete report under My Reports when you log into NRMP but I will hit the highlights for everyone here.

Unfilled spots remaining:

Anes 26
Derm 2
EM 16
FM 224
IM (cat) 52
Med Prelim 105
Neuro Surg 3
Neuro 0
OBGYN 5
Ortho 3
ENT 1
Path 19
Peds 45
PM&R 7
Plastics 0
Psych 16
Rads 2
Surg (cat) 2
Surg Prelim 461
Transitional 35

You didn't mention the PGY-2 list at the bottom, which may be a more accurate representation... 4 unfilled Derm spots (wow!), 30 Anes, 22 Neuro, 3 nuclear, 9 PM&R, 2 prev med, 1 psych, 7 (seven!) Rad-Onc.

Are you sure those are unfilled programs?

Yes, if you correlate regionally based on the spots (easiest to do with more competitive specialties w/ fewer spots open, i.e. rads), they match up about the same.

Yes, if you correlate regionally based on the spots (easiest to do with more competitive specialties w/ fewer spots open, i.e. rads), they match up about the same.

I think you are wrong. Take for instance Neurology. All the PGY-1 neuro positions filled, but there are TWO categorical neuro programs on that webpage.

I think you are wrong. Take for instance Neurology. All the PGY-1 neuro positions filled, but there are TWO categorical neuro programs on that webpage.

I disagree. Categorical neurology can also be represented as PGY-2 neurology, which is listed in the statistics. There are only "C" codes and "P" codes -- my best guess is that the P refers to only 1 year of training (i.e. prelim), and the C refers to >1 year of training, regardless of starting in PGY-1 or PGY-2.

I disagree. Categorical neurology can also be represented as PGY-2 neurology, which is listed in the statistics. There are only "C" codes and "P" codes -- my best guess is that the P refers to only 1 year of training (i.e. prelim), and the C refers to >1 year of training, regardless of starting in PGY-1 or PGY-2.

Absolutely not!! There are A codes for advanced. I also checked out the individual neuro program webpage, it is PGY1-4.

Your theory is debunked, sorry.

Would you guys also happen to know the total no. of slots offered this year?

I was louvi on the previous NRMP email, but the one I got today is lychee. This means that I was probably unmatched a couple days ago, but I managed to match somewhere in the end. Whew! What a come-from-behind victory!

Yeah, you prob. got lucky after the canadian matchers withdrew from the NRMP. Well done!

:p

Louvi --> lychee converter here that matched as well :D.

You are not correct. Those programs were listed there before the announcement today.

Absolutely not!! There are A codes for advanced. I also checked out the individual neuro program webpage, it is PGY1-4.

Your theory is debunked, sorry.

Ok! Sorry! What a very random list of programs to accept couples then. I wonder how those were listed there.

:scared: Yes. Mine was from louvi too. Clearly this means we matched to our last choice.