Just got the FDA rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

samisab786

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I applied for the FDA rotation and just notified that I got it. As much as I want to do it, I need to know the transportation situation, etc.
1. I was wondering if it can be managed without a car
2 Anybody did it and can provide feedback? I have heard it's a great opportunity, and it really seems like one, but I would like to know
Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Beats the criminal insane asylum I was assigned to...I always wanted to be FDA and flash a badge around...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's in Elgin, Illinois, called Elgin Mental Health Center. Murders and sex offenders left and right.
 
It's in Elgin, Illinois, called Elgin Mental Health Center. Murders and sex offenders left and right.

I actually once wanted to volunteer at a correctional facility, but idk now lol, my uncle's a doc and he used to work there from time to time. What did you do there?
 
I'm still doing IPPEs. Basically, I shadow the preceptors and make sure the physicians follow guidelines for correct dosing of antipsychotics. These drugs have some pretty nasty side effects, but can make a cold killer into a warm hearted puppy loving patient.
 
Hi,
I applied for the FDA rotation and just notified that I got it. As much as I want to do it, I need to know the transportation situation, etc.
1. I was wondering if it can be managed without a car
2. I was wondering if maybe I change my mind about the rotation (for whatever reason) if it is possible to chose another rotation in place of it when picking my normal rotations (which I will do later in the year)
3. Anybody did it and can provide feedback? I have heard it's a great opportunity, and it really seems like one, but I would like to know
Thanks!

Which department will you be in?
 
There's a lot of public transportation in DC. I'm sure between the Metro and Ride-on buses you will be able to get to work everyday without a car (though may not be a fun commute).
 
Hi,
I applied for the FDA rotation and just notified that I got it. As much as I want to do it, I need to know the transportation situation, etc.
1. I was wondering if it can be managed without a car
2. I was wondering if maybe I change my mind about the rotation (for whatever reason) if it is possible to chose another rotation in place of it when picking my normal rotations (which I will do later in the year)
3. Anybody did it and can provide feedback? I have heard it's a great opportunity, and it really seems like one, but I would like to know
Thanks!

I had a paid internship with the FDA and did it without a car. The FDA is in Rockville and at the the NIH. I commuted from Silver Spring and took the train to Rockville then would take a bus to work. My advise would be to find housing in the Rockville area so that you would not spend too much time commuting. Here is the DC Metro area map:

http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm

The metro system is very efficient.
 
I had a paid internship with the FDA and did it without a car. The FDA is in Rockville and at the the NIH. I commuted from Silver Spring and took the train to Rockville then would take a bus to work. My advise would be to find housing in the Rockville area so that you would not spend too much time commuting. Here is the DC Metro area map:

http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm

The metro system is very efficient.

Rockville would be a good choice. Definitely stay somewhere close to a train station (within walking distance) that is not too ghetto.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Out of curiosity, how competitive is the rotation? How many people apply vs. accepted, do you happen to know?

They don't tell us but I noticed they noted on their website people wouldn't find out until February but they called me two days ago to tell me I was selected. I'm not sure how long it takes them to go through all the apps.
 
They don't tell us but I noticed they noted on their website people wouldn't find out until February but they called me two days ago to tell me I was selected. I'm not sure how long it takes them to go through all the apps.
That's great, congrats! You have to tell us how it goes! 🙂
 
Congrats guys!
I applied too but haven't heard from them. The wait is killing me!!! argghhhhhhhh 🙁
Do you know when your application was submitted? Did the FDA people notifying you directly or was it via the school coordinator?
 
I'm scheduled for Feburary 2014. Def looking forward to it now and hoping the transportation won't be too problematic. Congrats rxlea!!!
 
Congrats guys!
I applied too but haven't heard from them. The wait is killing me!!! argghhhhhhhh 🙁
Do you know when your application was submitted? Did the FDA people notifying you directly or was it via the school coordinator?

school coordinator told me
 
Congrats guys!
I applied too but haven't heard from them. The wait is killing me!!! argghhhhhhhh 🙁
Do you know when your application was submitted? Did the FDA people notifying you directly or was it via the school coordinator?

The preceptor called me directly. She told me about the site and asked if I would accept the rotation. It was my number one pick but my number two time slot.
 
Last edited:
I got an email yesterday and I got the Drug Info rotation --- looking for a place to live.. 😵! has anyone found a place yet?
 
I got an email yesterday and I got the Drug Info rotation --- looking for a place to live.. 😵! has anyone found a place yet?

Congrats! When are you staying? I haven't looked yet-mine will be in exactly a year-Spring 2
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whoever mentioned airbnb.com in whatever rotation thread, thanks! Looks like I scored for my chicago rotation. I'm going to use the same service for my FDA rotation. Prices in DC are ridic, though. I'm going to chicago for 2200 including 6 week rent at an apartment and airfare for my partner and I. Some places in.DC want 2200+ for rent! 🙁
 
Whoever mentioned airbnb.com in whatever rotation thread, thanks! Looks like I scored for my chicago rotation. I'm going to use the same service for my FDA rotation. Prices in DC are ridic, though. I'm going to chicago for 2200 including 6 week rent at an apartment and airfare for my partner and I. Some places in.DC want 2200+ for rent! 🙁

Wow
 
I know, right?

There is this listing for 3K that's as big as a closet. It has only a tiny fridge and a microwave. It's LOL.

Compared to the whole 1 bedroom furnished apartment I'm getting with wifi, washer/dryer, PS2 and wii with Netflix.

Why are the DC places so damn expensive?!
Absence of those would be a deal breaker. 😛

I love DC. Color me jealous! Not a fan of charbucks, but they have a location in the capital with a Clover machine which brews a surprisingly good cup of coffee.
 
Absence of those would be a deal breaker. 😛

I love DC. Color me jealous! Not a fan of charbucks, but they have a location in the capital with a Clover machine which brews a surprisingly good cup of coffee.

Eww I hate charbucks. The first thing I look for when looking for housing is a coffee place nearby. The second is a whole foods and/or farmer's market.
 
Anybody have a clue about transportation yet?
My preceptor told me to definitely bring a car, but another lady who works alongside him, also a preceptor, said students managed without a car (some carpooled but used mostly public transportation).
I would prefer to not drive in the area just b/c I am far more comfortable using public transportation, especially in a place I'm not way too familiar with. And I hope there won't be too much city driving.
However, if I have to bring a car, then I would. But if anybody has a clue just for things to think about, that would be great.
Thanks!
 
It seems like many of us will be there from Nov-Dec. Mine is from 11/12-12/13. Any of you guys interested in finding a place together or working out a carpool deal? My rotation is with the controlled substance staff. And my preceptor recommended staying in the downtown Silver Spring area stating that it was safe enough for a female student like me to commute daily from. Reply here or PM me!
 
It seems like many of us will be there from Nov-Dec. Mine is from 11/12-12/13. Any of you guys interested in finding a place together or working out a carpool deal? My rotation is with the controlled substance staff. And my preceptor recommended staying in the downtown Silver Spring area stating that it was safe enough for a female student like me to commute daily from. Reply here or PM me!

I dont think that downtown silver spring is safe, especially for a female living by yourself.

You definitely want to stay in montgomery county. And if you have a car, you can go as far out as germantown and have a decent commute with more reasonable rent. Rockville, germantown, bethesda, and Gaithersburg are all great areas, and commute is usually only about 20-30 minutes at most.
If you end up living near a metro, as far as I know- the closest metro is silver spring and it is not in walking distance to the White Oak campus.
 
Does anyone have the White Oak campus for Summer A (July1-Aug10)? Trying to look for housing close to public transportation that isn't too expensive :/
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have mine in February 2014. Anybody else for the Spring 2 timeslot?
I thought the white oak campus was easiest to commute to, as far as I remember when I contacted the preceptor
 
I made a group on Facebook called "FDA Pharmacy Student Experiential Program 2013-2014" if all accepted students want to join!
 
I made a group on Facebook called "FDA Pharmacy Student Experiential Program 2013-2014" if all accepted students want to join!

funny, I was just thinking that there should be something along these lines. Great idea!