USMLE Just had CCS yesterday

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJ-OBG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished up step 3 yesterday, MCQs on day 1 were certainly challenging and 5 times longer stem than uworld questions. MCQs on day 2 much more doable in terms of length with moderate difficulty. The most frustrating portion for me was the CCS. I did the uworld cases about 3 times each and felt fairly comfortable about the CCS portion. On the real thing there were 13 total cases. Something that was very odd and has me paranoid now, is that there was only a stat order option. On uworld there was 'stat' on the left and 'routine' on the right. Real thing, stat option was right in the middle automatically selected and no routine option. Has me concerned now since everything I ordered was stat. Short cases I felt fairly confident about completing accurately and before time ended. Long cases, there were 2 or 3 that I could have messed up big time, but otherwise ok. Anyone else experience this stat only option or could add to it?

Members don't see this ad.

I took mine late June, and I don't remember seeing Routine option. So I wouldn't worry about it.

My step 3 is coming soon! I need to score really high since Im going to rad and had a few bumps on my step 2 scores... What should I read? Where should i focus? Are the cases hard?

Just finished up step 3 yesterday, MCQs on day 1 were certainly challenging and 5 times longer stem than uworld questions. MCQs on day 2 much more doable in terms of length with moderate difficulty. The most frustrating portion for me was the CCS. I did the uworld cases about 3 times each and felt fairly comfortable about the CCS portion. On the real thing there were 13 total cases. Something that was very odd and has me paranoid now, is that there was only a stat order option. On uworld there was 'stat' on the left and 'routine' on the right. Real thing, stat option was right in the middle automatically selected and no routine option. Has me concerned now since everything I ordered was stat. Short cases I felt fairly confident about completing accurately and before time ended. Long cases, there were 2 or 3 that I could have messed up big time, but otherwise ok. Anyone else experience this stat only option or could add to it?

My step 3 is coming soon! I need to score really high since Im going to rad and had a few bumps on my step 2 scores... What should I read? Where should i focus? Are the cases hard?

Members don't see this ad :)

-STating that MCQs question stems are 5 times longer than UWORLD is a little bit of an over-reach. They are about the same length as the medium and hard questions in UWORLD but the main diff is that these questions are the first time you've seen them so the perception is that they are alot harder and longer.

-the thing with UWORLD CCS is that it approximates the experience but does is not compeletely representive of the real CCS. i.e. lacks consult feedback - in the real CCS consultants actually respond and you ahve to continue management not just stop.
-in UWORLD often case ends after a few steps which might be the case in the real deal but you ahve to continue adding orders pertiennt to the case.

-UWORLD software cases are a little easier than the real thing although several of UWORLD cases showed up my real deal

So friend of mine took his exam last week and he said, he didn't see "routine" option as far as ordering labs go. Just "stat".

Does anyone know how hard these cases are supposed to be? I'm having trouble understanding how to do the clock and location thing. I get what they are asking from us but idk how to make sure I'm doing it right. Also, you think the score for this is important if I'm applying for residency this year? If its super important I'd rather push it back and not worry about doing well. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know how hard these cases are supposed to be? I'm having trouble understanding how to do the clock and location thing. I get what they are asking from us but idk how to make sure I'm doing it right. Also, you think the score for this is important if I'm applying for residency this year? If its super important I'd rather push it back and not worry about doing well. Your help is greatly appreciated.
I was pretty nervous during my CCS (august 23). I had done UW CCS etc but perhaps due to lack of familiarity as oppose to mcqs? I don't know. Also only 2 of my cases ended early even though interval history showed that the patient was doing better. So that had me pretty worried during the CCS portion.

Clock management: I usually moved the clock forward by clicking "next results". As far as changing location goes, if a case presented at an incorrect location (possible stroke presenting at the office) then the patient had to be moved. Now if you are asking how to decide when to move the patient to the floor or icu from the ED, then i am not 100% sure. I think using "clinical judgement" (i.e possible osteomyelitis and now doing better in the ED but still has to worry about possible ongoing infection then after initial management (labs, cultures, antibiotics and patient doing better), he/she can be moved to the floor. I am not sure if there's a guide as to when to move.