Just passed Orgo I with a B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sam212

Lover, not a fighter
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Man, I just learned that I passed Orgo I with a B. I thought I was going to fail after I bombed the final. As it turned out, everyone bombed the final, forcing the professor to curve, and the curve sure was generous. I know that none of you care but I am ecstatic.

Members don't see this ad.

Sam212 said:
Man, I just learned that I passed Orgo I with a B. I thought I was going to fail after I bombed the final. As it turned out, everyone bombed the final, forcing the professor to curve, and the curve sure was generous. I know that none of you care but I am ecstatic.

Congrats on the B :) Orgo I sucks :p

Sam212 said:

Good job! :thumbup:

You'll be happy to know that all that time you spent studying and learning Orgo will go to complete waste after the MCAT, as you will never come close to using it again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! That monster is still in my future, glad its in your past.

I got a C+ in both Orgo I and Orgo II and I got into every DO school at which I interviewed. Orgo is meaningless, and everybody knows it.

Same thing happened to me in Orgo 1 on the first test. I got my grade back and it was an 18 out of 50. I almost cried, especially since I had never failed a test in college. Turns out the curve were so sharp my 18 was a C. What a worthless subject, I never learned a thing in Orgo. I used connect the dots for the tests after that and did better; ended up with C+ in both classes. For the MCAT all I needed was nomenclature which is pure memorization and the simple substitution/elimination reactions. Biochemistry on the other hand was much more interesting.

I went B, C, B in ochem and A,A in the labs...Once I finally learned it (jr yr in lab) it was sort of cool...but still glad its over :)

I guess it takes a certain kind... I enjoyed o-chem immensely.

Orgo does not go to waste after the MCAT (nor does physics and molec. bio), but it will if you want it to or let it. I, personally, will take the stuff I learned with me for the rest of my life. I remember my professor telling us a story of how his father, an organic chemist at Dow Chemical, made lye during the depression using lard and household bases (saponification). O-chem is all around us. Understanding what's going on a molecular level makes it so much cooler!

I like ochem, but ochem does not like me.

Sam212 said:

congrats, nothing feels better than thinking you bombed a test and then actually doing pretty well.

:thumbup: congrats on the B ;)

Im one of those weirdos who :love: ochem or orgo (depending on where u live) so much so that now i tutor it :p

vegangirl said:

Im one of those weirdos who :love: ochem or orgo (depending on where u live) so much so that now i tutor it :p

hey dude congrats. if i could id have the theme song from RAD ("you're the best..around..nothins ever gonna bring you down") playing in the background.
nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
hotdawg said:
hey dude congrats. if i could id have the theme song from RAD ("you're the best..around..nothins ever gonna bring you down") playing in the background.
nice.

Be agressive!!!

Congrats

:thumbup: :love:

Lye outta lard??? I believe you, but for some reason that cracked me up!!!

Thanks guys, at the end of the final, I was almost certain that I'd be sitting in the same class come fall, but as it turned out, it wasn't so bad. But I still have to take Orgo II. God bless me.
Couple of questions, is Orgo II easier than Orgo I? Can I take MCAT without Orgo II?

Sam212 said:
Thanks guys, at the end of the final, I was almost certain that I'd be sitting in the same class come fall, but as it turned out, it wasn't so bad. But I still have to take Orgo II. God bless me.
Couple of questions, is Orgo II easier than Orgo I? Can I take MCAT without Orgo II?

Some aspects of Orgo 2 are easier, some are harder. My orgo 2 class had spectroscopy (I think maybe some have that first semester). Spectroscopy is the devil! It is my weakness, though it is sort of interesting. What made orgo 2 easier for me is catching on to the patterns and ways to study. Plus, a lot of the chapters are repetitive (ketones, aldehydes, carboxylic acids and derivatives, etc) as far as mechanisms and "predict the products" go.

If you could get a B in organic 1, you can get one in organic 2. Good luck.

Sam212 said:

Oh, as far as the MCAT, all my organic stuff on it this past April was stuff I had just learned in my class. Lots of carbonyl stuff. You certainly could teach yourself the concepts, but it was handy having it fresh in my mind.

DrChandy said:
I remember my professor telling us a story of how his father, an organic chemist at Dow Chemical, made lye during the depression using lard and household bases (saponification). O-chem is all around us. Understanding what's going on a molecular level makes it so much cooler!

when I was growing up, we were rather poor. To make ends meet, we'd buy a whole cow and a whole hog every year from the farmer and put 'em in the freezer after butchering (still the cheapest way to buy meat). With the fat, we'd make SOAP from lard (or beef tallow) and lye. Put sugar in it to make it suds up, and lots of cheap perfume folks were throwing out to make it smell nice (without the perfume it doesn't really smell like anything).

But lye from lard? I'd believe more he was saying soap from mixing lye WITH lard.

Congratulations, I was so happy to get my passing grade in organic II. NEVER AGAIN

hotdawg said:
nice.

Dude, that song is from The Karate Kid. Awesome song, btw. :D Though "Rad", a BMX biker flick from the 80's, also had an incredible soundtrack, which is perhaps why you were confused. ;) :)

I took ochem 12 years ago and hated it. Absolutely hated it and was thrilled with my C-. Took it again last year and LOVED IT! Got an A. Now its one of my favorite subjects. Go figure. As for ochem2 and MCAT, almost everything on the test is from 1st semester, although a few reactions may be from 2nd. Know SN1, SN2, E1, E2, Grignard, Aldol Condensation and stereochemistry and you'll be in good shape. It actually is a small part of the bio section (less than 10% typically) but blowing orgo on MCAT means losing 2-3 points in bio section. I suggest examcrackers books and CDs for MCAT, and no, I don't work for them or get any money in any way from them. Just worked for me.

I don't see what the big deal with o-chem is. It's just memorization, just like what you do in medical school. There is no math.

I had a difficult time in classes that do require math, such as gen. chem., physics, and calculus, but I found o-chem to be extremely easy.

after getting my acceptances, my motivation went into the toilet... meaning i skated to a C in Ochem2 this semester. Soooooooo happy. If anyone needs the ACS study guide, mine is now for sale! (kind of falling apart at the binding)

Would have been nice to have had Ochem2 for the MCATs, but my school only offers it during spring semester, and I couldn't get into it last year.

Agreed with above posters... most of the MCAT Ochem was first semester, and what ochem2 was covered, was easily learn-able on your own.

Best of luck!

just because you got a B in orgo I does not mean you cannot do better in orgo II. I began my 1st semester of orgo with a D and two C's, then got a B on the final. The following semester i was more prepared to slay the beast, and did consistenly better in orgo II, earning myself an A-

NeuroDO said:
I got a C+ in both Orgo I and Orgo II and I got into every DO school at which I interviewed. Orgo is meaningless, and everybody knows it.

hey, would you mind putting up ur stats? thanks!

vegangirl said:

I agree I like orgo a lot too and that's why I became the student instructor for both one and two. HAHA :laugh:

cosmo said:
Some aspects of Orgo 2 are easier, some are harder. My orgo 2 class had spectroscopy (I think maybe some have that first semester). Spectroscopy is the devil! It is my weakness, though it is sort of interesting. What made orgo 2 easier for me is catching on to the patterns and ways to study. Plus, a lot of the chapters are repetitive (ketones, aldehydes, carboxylic acids and derivatives, etc) as far as mechanisms and "predict the products" go.

If you could get a B in organic 1, you can get one in organic 2. Good luck.

Yes Cosmo, the strange language of Orgo becomes familiar during your second trip around the Orgo block. I made a B in Orgo I and an A in II. It's not as if it's easier but you're more familiar with concepts especially if you didn't just memorize Orgo I without any base.

Congrats Sam! Job well done. Wishing you the best on your second round ( :thumbup: Orgo II)

I thought I was alone!!! When I finished Orgo I, I ended up with a "B". But when I took orgo II, it sucked!!!! After a lot of curves on the test, I was at a "C"-"B" when I had to take the final. I studied like a mad woman, then took the final. I pretty much started crying while I was taking it, because nothing looked familiar. I walked out of that final wanting to head straight to a bar. When I saw my final grade in the class, I nearly fell out of my chair! I thought for sure, maybe a "D". But then it showed a "B"! I have never been so happy in my life!! :p Good luck to all of you that have it next semester. I am just soooooo happy it's over!!!